Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- November 2011

Yeah, you gotta pretty much double what you think you've played - I thought I was around 40 hours, but I was right near 80. I think that's because almost half the time playing is tooling around in all the menus like the items, map, missions, magic, etc.
Old 01-09-12, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

This is hands down the most time I've spent playing a game since the first Dragon Age. My character just reached level 40 and I haven't touched the main quest line since going up to High Hrothgar. I still don't understand how I couldn't get this involved with Oblivion. I'm going to have to revisit it once I'm done with this game.....whenever that may be.

I recently came across a bug where the game would crash to desktop every time I killed this Dragon that had appeared outside of Riften. I re-loaded the game like 7 times and it kept crashing right after I killed it. Finally the 8th time it didn't crash. I've had numerous dragon encounters since I started and this is the first time that happened to me.
Old 01-09-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts

I'm over 130 hours now, too, and I barely touched the main quest.

I'm almost done with the Thieves Guild but still have to do the Dark Brotherhood.
Old 01-10-12, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a little over 100 hours in before I finished the main quest. The Dark Brotherhood was the best quest chain, in my opinion (of the ones I did).

I haven't played in a while, but I left off on the Civil War stuff. Guess I'll get back to it eventually, as well as the Theives Guild stuff.

Other than that, I think I might attempt to kill every NPC in the game that I can. I did a Fallout 3 playthrough like that once... only the "essential" characters were alive. It was such a lonely, lonely place.
Old 01-10-12, 04:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I'm over 130 hours now, too, and I barely touched the main quest.

I'm almost done with the Thieves Guild but still have to do the Dark Brotherhood.
That's exactly where I'm at...just about done with Thieves Guild. Can't wait to do the Dark Brotherhood quests.
Old 01-10-12, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just to temper expectations a bit, the Dark Brotherhood questline isn't nearly as good as the one in Oblivion, which would be tough to match. But it does offer up some memorable sequences and good rewards.
Old 01-10-12, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

So I'm walking through a herd of mammoths on my way to a vampire cave when a dragon drops down and starts pestering me. Before I can even get my first arrow nocked one of the mammoths turns on the dragon and starts beating it to a pulp. Then a giant mudcrab wanders past and joins in on the fun. As they're finishing up their butt-whupping I guiltily shoot a few arrows at the poor dragon and then wander over to harvest its soul, bones, and scales. The stupid mud crab turns on me so I have to kill it but the mammoth just continues about his business none the worse for wear. Easiest shout unlock ever.
Old 01-10-12, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mugwump
So I'm walking through a herd of mammoths on my way to a vampire cave when a dragon drops down and starts pestering me. Before I can even get my first arrow nocked one of the mammoths turns on the dragon and starts beating it to a pulp. Then a giant mudcrab wanders past and joins in on the fun. As they're finishing up their butt-whupping I guiltily shoot a few arrows at the poor dragon and then wander over to harvest its soul, bones, and scales. The stupid mud crab turns on me so I have to kill it but the mammoth just continues about his business none the worse for wear. Easiest shout unlock ever.
I love batteling with a Dragon when a giant and mammoth are close. Makes it too easy.
Old 01-10-12, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have just gotten back into this game this past weekend. I was over in England since Dec. 5th and was itching to get back to play this after already putting in 90+ hours. Up to about 110 now and trying to get the Thief Guild tasks done. Finding them generally boring. I have reached level 81 and maxed out pretty much everything. Its great being able to go through this game and kick the ass of anything that gets in your way. This game is even better than i imagined it could be, and its just a shame that the lag on the PS3 can get so bad after a while. I am hoping they get that issue fixed sooner rather than later.
Old 01-10-12, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I have just gotten back into this game this past weekend. I was over in England since Dec. 5th and was itching to get back to play this after already putting in 90+ hours. Up to about 110 now and trying to get the Thief Guild tasks done. Finding them generally boring. I have reached level 81 and maxed out pretty much everything. Its great being able to go through this game and kick the ass of anything that gets in your way. This game is even better than i imagined it could be, and its just a shame that the lag on the PS3 can get so bad after a while. I am hoping they get that issue fixed sooner rather than later.
What lag? I don't experience that on the PS3 unless I'm hauling ass on my horse across the countryside.
Old 01-10-12, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by steebo777
What lag? I don't experience that on the PS3 unless I'm hauling ass on my horse across the countryside.
I haven't experienced any lag but i have had the game totally freeze the PS3 2 or 3 times in the past 2 weeks.
My save files are only 7MB or so and I have about 50 hours into the game.

Twice it froze on a load screen and once while walking down a hill. Each time I had to reset the PS3.

I have started saving after doing almost anything in this game and autosave has saved me a few times so I didn't turn it off.
Old 01-10-12, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noonan
Good question. That's not something I tried; I always left them alone.
So, it doesn't do anything but anger the giants. I haven't run into any mammoths with it yet.
Old 01-10-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There have been a ton of complaints about the lag on the PS3, and I haven't really seen it either. Maybe every once in a while. Alot of people were bitching that it was unplayable on the PS3.
Old 01-10-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well my game saves are now 17mb each. Once you get above around 10mb you will start getting hit by lag i assure you (well after about an hours worth of play each time anyway). If there is a significant number of things fighting you on screen it becomes pretty much unplayable. If you turn off all the auto saves it helps a bit, but does not eliminate it completely.
Old 01-10-12, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a
Well my game saves are now 17mb each. Once you get above around 10mb you will start getting hit by lag i assure you (well after about an hours worth of play each time anyway). If there is a significant number of things fighting you on screen it becomes pretty much unplayable. If you turn off all the auto saves it helps a bit, but does not eliminate it completely.
Man, what a bummer. Not looking forward to that. Is there a way for it to be fixed with a patch possibly?
Old 01-10-12, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ran into a glitched misc quest last night. Some chick from the bards college asked me to find a flute for her. That is great, I thought. I have your flute right here. Well, apparently I can't give her the flute and I can't drop it or sell it. So, now I am stuck with the dead weight I got the flute over 15 hours ago, so I am not going to be reverting to an earlier save. I hope the 4 mysterious gems I currently have won’t cause me problems in the same way.
Old 01-10-12, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slymer
Man, what a bummer. Not looking forward to that. Is there a way for it to be fixed with a patch possibly?
Well i believe they are trying to patch the problem, but i think its gonna be a little wait for it coming. Not gonna stop me from playing this excellent game, just gonna have to keep on being patient and resetting the machine each time the heavy lag sets in.
Old 01-10-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
I ran into a glitched misc quest last night. Some chick from the bards college asked me to find a flute for her. That is great, I thought. I have your flute right here. Well, apparently I can't give her the flute and I can't drop it or sell it. So, now I am stuck with the dead weight I got the flute over 15 hours ago, so I am not going to be reverting to an earlier save. I hope the 4 mysterious gems I currently have won’t cause me problems in the same way.
You can't drop the instruments even after you finish the quests (which you should, the rewards are great). You'll be stuck with them for good. The Unusual Gems can be dropped whenever you want. I keep them all in a chest.
Old 01-10-12, 01:29 PM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecrush
I ran into a glitched misc quest last night. Some chick from the bards college asked me to find a flute for her. That is great, I thought. I have your flute right here.
this made me laugh

sorry for your problem though.

Last edited by wlj; 01-10-12 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-10-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wlj
this made me laugh

sorry for your problem though.
I didn't see it until your post
Old 01-10-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can't drop the instruments even after you finish the quests (which you should, the rewards are great). You'll be stuck with them for good. The Unusual Gems can be dropped whenever you want. I keep them all in a chest.
I just read about the reward for this quest. Apparently it is known bug and there is no workaround.
Old 01-11-12, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

That's why I'm very glad I decided to go with the PC version. The console commands saved me from a few glitched quests; one of which broke the main story very early on.

Were you able to do the other quests for the bards? There's three instruments to get.
Old 01-11-12, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's why I'm very glad I decided to go with the PC version. The console commands saved me from a few glitched quests; one of which broke the main story very early on.

Were you able to do the other quests for the bards? There's three instruments to get.
I haven't tried yet. I plan on doing that next.
Old 01-11-12, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone ever have issues with followers fighting your other followers?

Once Shadowmere and Uthgerd got into, Shadowmere accidently got hit by Uthgerd (I think she was using a flame staff), and they started brawling, Shadowmere kicked Uthgerd's arse. Barbas was just running barking at the both of them. Annoying heh.

Then last night. I had esbern and Delphine with along with Uthgerd, Shadowmere and Barbas. Something happened where esbern started to fight with shadowmere, then barbas and uthgerd attacked esbern, then Delphine jumped in and esbern summoned a Frost Anaturoch. It was quite the melee, thankfully I just fast travelled away..and everyone forgot they were fighting each other.
Old 01-11-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am encountering a problem at the moment thats rather annoying. I have a bounty of 2000 in one of the main cities and when a guard comes to talk and possibly arrest me i seem to have no option but to fight. All my skills now are 100 and when i try to persuade he ignores, i try to pay 1000 gold and mention i am in the guild and they ignore, hell i even say i give in to arrest and then it comes up with another speech option saying "Whats the problem" and they dont arrest me and i am forced to stop the conversation and run. I could fight but i dont want the bounty to get higher. Its weird and a bit annoying. Will make future tasks in certain places difficult to do when i am being constantly hounded by guards. Wonder if i could just kill every single guard in the city? Probably not as they will no doubt respawn.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.