Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo DSi Announced and Dated - April 5th - in Black and Blue - $169.99

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Nintendo DSi Announced and Dated - April 5th - in Black and Blue - $169.99

Hey, i pre-ordered the light blue DSi... Well, the truth is, there are only two colors and i already have a black DS, although the DSi is matted black.

Region locked DSiware sucks!
Old 03-10-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Well at least we know plenty of 8 year old girls will love it!
Old 03-23-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

I'm a sucker, I went and pre-ordered the black DSi today at Gamestop. They are taking $70 bucks off the price if you trade in your old DS, DS Lite or GBS SP.

I traded in a DS Lite, my PSP that I never play and some old games. I didn't pay a penny out of pocket.
Old 03-24-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

From Gamepro.com

Remember those Club Nintendo DSi preview events I told you about? Kombo happened to get a reporter into one. The results allegedly aren't too interesting (although they confirm what Target had to say about the DSi shipping with 1000 Nintendo Points), but apparently one major information bomb was dropped that could turn the DSi from a who-cares into a must-buy for a lot of people.

Unless I missed it previously, then the big piece of good news to surface from this event is that downloadable Game Boy and Game Boy Advance titles are coming. I'll just let that soak in for a minute. Finally, we may have a shot at playing some portable classics again, and without the hassle of gambling with eBay's counterfeits or peeling stickers off of GameStop's cartridges... which could also sometimes be counterfeits.

While a portable Virtual Console for the DS has been rumored since... well, since the Wii Virtual Console became successful, this is the first possible confirmation we have from Nintendo itself of when and how they're going to get a portable Virtual Console equivalent running. The DSi solves all the logistical problems posed by previous theories about how to get retro game downloads working on the DS.

Although Kombo is usually a very solid source, I do urge people to consider this a "strong rumor" until we see a bunch of other reports online from folks at preview events to corroborate, or until Nintendo announces their plans through an official source. Maybe that GDC keynote Iwata's giving later this week?
Old 03-24-09, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Unless I missed it previously, then the big piece of good news to surface from this event is that downloadable Game Boy and Game Boy Advance titles are coming. I'll just let that soak in for a minute. Finally, we may have a shot at playing some portable classics again, and without the hassle of gambling with eBay's counterfeits or peeling stickers off of GameStop's cartridges... which could also sometimes be counterfeits.
Why is it that every Nintendo product that comes out lists the ability of playing old-ass games as a major feature? How many different ways do you need to play Super Mario Brothers? Christ, play Left4Dead or COD already, the 20 year old games haven't changed.
Old 03-24-09, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Why is it that every Nintendo product that comes out lists the ability of playing old-ass games as a major feature? How many different ways do you need to play Super Mario Brothers? Christ, play Left4Dead or COD already, the 20 year old games haven't changed.
I know when I have kids, I'm going to want to show them what it was like - and make the little shits enjoy it before they get to dive into Pokemon Titanium or GTA V. Oh what? You think that Ice Hockey sucked when you had only 3 types of players to choose from!? SUCK IT! Once you enjoy this I might let you play Blades of Steel...might.
Old 03-24-09, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

Hey L&O, I was gaming since 1979, I've endured Atari before it was the 2600, grimaced through Intellivision, fought with the shit-controllers of Colecovision, I ooh'ed & aww'ed at the first Mattel handhelds, etc... I have 3 kids, and I buy them every Nintendo product that hits the market. It hurts me like a kick to the junk to do it, especially when the same games come out for every system/handheld. Let's guess what the first game will be for the DSi...MarioKart DSi, SuperMario DSi, SuperMario Baseball DSi, etc...?

How come no one wants to 'show their kids' what 8-track tapes were like, or Betamax, or corded telephones, or 'ringer' washing machines, or cellular phones the size of shoeboxes?

Anyhow, I accept your Ice Hockey challenge only if you play some Atari football with me, lol.
Old 03-24-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Mmmmmm, Double Dribble on the DSi
Old 03-25-09, 12:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

How come no one wants to 'show their kids' what 8-track tapes were like, or Betamax, or corded telephones, or 'ringer' washing machines, or cellular phones the size of shoeboxes?
Part of the reasons is because the old games still rock. There are original GB games that I'd rather play than most of the current generation. Heck, games invented before Christ are better than half the crap out nowdays.

Being able to easily play old games is a huge feature imho.
Old 03-25-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ It's true.

I just bought a black and white GameBoy (not to play games with, hehe) and I was showing it off to this new girl I' hanging out with and she said (exact quote) "I really wish games had stayed that way." Oh, and she loves Super Metroid.
Old 03-25-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When's the wedding?
Old 03-25-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
"I really wish games had stayed that way." Oh, and she loves Super Metroid.
I'd hit it.
Old 03-25-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Being able to play an old song on the iPod, sounds normal... But playing an old video game on the new gen console? Eh, not only you can do it for far cheaper some other way, it's also so uncool! See, you can't play games with headphones (visually), duh!

Last edited by Ocelot; 03-25-09 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
^ It's true.

I just bought a black and white GameBoy (not to play games with, hehe) and I was showing it off to this old girl I' hanging out with and she said (exact quote) "I really wish games had stayed that way." Oh, and she loves Super Metroid.
fixed

i normally don't j/k, but i couldn't resist, sorry PJ
Old 03-25-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Part of the reasons is because the old games still rock. There are original GB games that I'd rather play than most of the current generation. Heck, games invented before Christ are better than half the crap out nowdays.

Being able to easily play old games is a huge feature imho.
it's like asking the cd players to play records...
Old 03-25-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I know when I have kids, I'm going to want to show them what it was like - and make the little shits enjoy it before they get to dive into Pokemon Titanium or GTA V. Oh what? You think that Ice Hockey sucked when you had only 3 types of players to choose from!? SUCK IT! Once you enjoy this I might let you play Blades of Steel...might.
i don't know which one is more disturbing...
Old 03-25-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
When's the wedding?
Originally Posted by steebo777
I'd hit it.

We'll see, third "date" this Saturday.

Oh, and she's obsessed with No More Heroes ever since I let her borrow it.
Old 03-25-09, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ocelot
Being able to play an old song on the iPod, sounds normal... But playing an old video game on the new gen console? Eh, not only you can do it for far cheaper some other way, it's also so uncool! See, you can't play games with headphones (visually), duh!
What?

it's like asking the cd players to play records...
OK - we get it, even though it's tough to follow your statements it seems like you don't bother looking at historical games. I'll be over here having a blast with Sonic's Ultimate Collection.
Old 03-25-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry guys, i know video games come a long way, classics are classics right? But come on man, it's hard to like what people called "classics." I think people get confused between now and then, i.e. what's current with nostalgic. Let's put it this way, what's alive in the past will not die today. What's dead in the past will not be revived today. Wow, i'm feeling philosophical

what i'm saying is, if Blades of Steel (seriously, i don't even know what that is, a game, a movie, a book?) is cool, it will be cool, no matter where it can be played. But it's so unfair that you have to kinda "make" us to play it to feel the "magic." So yeah, i'm glad that the DSi will do some new stuff instead of GBA oldies. It's okay to leave the past glories behind, you know, to make rooms for new ones
Old 03-25-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's ok, too, to play an old game that people consider classic even if it isn't part of your past. Check out Blades of Steel.
Old 03-25-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
OK - we get it, even though it's tough to follow your statements it seems like you don't bother looking at historical games. I'll be over here having a blast with Sonic's Ultimate Collection.
i don't know L&O, i know history is important, but it's boring... Look, i give credits to the old games, like NES' duck hunt and mario or even the anally impossible to play Atari games (i don't like them back and i don't like them now). To me, they're part of the game evolution and revolution. The joyous moment of playing your very first game can only be remembered, it can never ever replicated. If you don't believe that, try to torture yourself with an old game. In my case, it's NES's Mario and Duck Hunt (my first console). It certainly bring back glorious moments, but sorry, no way i want to play them again in the same manner...
Old 03-25-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
It's ok, too, to play an old game that people consider classic even if it isn't part of your past. Check out Blades of Steel.
it's a hockey game (i had to google it, i thought it was something like Blades of Glory, okay, i was close ).
Old 03-25-09, 02:38 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Games are not better just because they are newer. Basic game theory has not changed for years, or even centuries. If you're only amused by state-of-the-art graphics and sound, then you're missing out on some great gaming.

I've owned pretty much every gaming system since Pong, and I play my older games more than my 360/PS3.
Old 03-25-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd trade MGS1-4 for Venture any day. Or Miner 2049er for that matter.
Old 03-25-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i don't know L&O, i know history is important, but it's boring... Look, i give credits to the old games, like NES' duck hunt and mario or even the anally impossible to play Atari games (i don't like them back and i don't like them now). To me, they're part of the game evolution and revolution. The joyous moment of playing your very first game can only be remembered, it can never ever replicated. If you don't believe that, try to torture yourself with an old game. In my case, it's NES's Mario and Duck Hunt (my first console). It certainly bring back glorious moments, but sorry, no way i want to play them again in the same manner...
I guess I should go throw all the classical music I have, or the Beatles, or Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd because it's old and should only be relived through memory.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.