Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread of Bad(Classic) Oneliners

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Duke Nukem Forever Footage

It seems pretty clear to me that Take-Two is suing them in an effort to secure ownership of the Duke Nukem property as part of some sort of liquidation event.
Old 05-14-09, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
It seems pretty clear to me that Take-Two is suing them in an effort to secure ownership of the Duke Nukem property as part of some sort of liquidation event.
Yeah, given that they wanted to buy the Duke IP from that post above, it seems like their goal. I know 3DRealms wants to keep Duke and release it on their own terms, but really, given the amount of leeway they already had for all these years I have a hard time believing someone else would want to jump at the chance.
Old 05-15-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
leaked gameplay footage (NSFW):

<object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="370" id="viddler_ac12034c"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/player/ac12034c/" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/player/ac12034c/" width="437" height="370" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" name="viddler_ac12034c"></embed></object>
That actually doesn't look too bad. At least it looks like this generation. I don't see the big deal about Duke Nukem. We've come so far with FPS and this game isn't going to change the market like a GTA or Guitar Hero.
Old 05-18-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

3D Realms Release – Pertaining to Recent Events Surrounding Duke Nukem Forever
Dallas, TX (May 18, 2009) – In light of recent press articles and statements by Take-Two (to the media and in a lawsuit), we want to set the record straight on some issues.

Despite rumors and statements to the contrary, 3D Realms (3DR) has not closed and is not closing. 3DR retains ownership of the Duke Nukem franchise. Due to lack of funding, however, we are saddened to confirm that we let the Duke Nukem Forever (DNF) development team go on May 6th, while we regroup as a company. While 3DR is a much smaller studio now, we will continue to operate as a company and continue to license and co-create games based upon the Duke Nukem franchise.

As some of you may know, Take-Two filed a lawsuit last week containing various accusations and claims against 3DR and the uncompleted DNF game. Take-Two never paid 3DR advances or any signing bonus or any other funds related to DNF, up until July 2008, at which time they paid $2.5m in connection with another agreement for an unannounced game. This is the sum total Take-Two has paid 3DR in connection with DNF. Take-Two claims that they paid $12m to GT Interactive/Infogrames to acquire the publishing rights for the DNF game. To be clear, 3DR was not a party to that transaction and did not receive any money from it. When the DNF game was originally signed with GT Interactive in 1998, GT paid 3DR a $400,000 signing bonus. Up until July 2008, this was the only publisher money we received for the DNF game. Meanwhile, 3DR put over $20m into the production of DNF.

Take-Two retains publishing rights for the DNF game, although 3DR retains certain rights to sell the game directly to the public. Late last year, 3DR began negotiations with Take-Two to provide funding to complete the DNF game. In the meantime, 3DR was hitting mutually-agreed milestones, despite not having a new agreement finalized. Take-Two was well aware that 3DR needed the funding to continue the DNF game development. Suddenly, after months of negotiations, Take-Two materially changed the parameters of the proposed funding agreement. 3DR informed Take-Two that it could not financially afford the changes Take-Two was suggesting and would be forced to release the team if an agreement was not reached. Take-Two made a last minute proposal to acquire the Duke Nukem franchise and the 3DR development team. Take-Two's proposal was unacceptable to 3DR for many reasons, including no upfront money, no guarantee minimum payment, and no guarantee to complete the DNF game. From 3DR's perspective, we viewed Take-Two as trying to acquire the Duke Nukem franchise in a "fire sale." Those negotiations fell through on May 4th, a deal never materialized, and the DNF team was sadly released a few days later.

Less than a week after the DNF team was released, Take-Two filed its lawsuit in New York, seeking immediate temporary injunctive relief. The court denied Take-Two's request for a temporary restraining order. While we cannot comment on the details of the ongoing lawsuit, we believe Take-Two's lawsuit is without merit and merely a bully tactic to obtain ownership of the Duke Nukem franchise. We will vigorously defend ourselves against this publisher.
Old 09-03-10, 01:21 PM

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...g-duke-nukem/1

No, hell hasn't frozen over and pigs aren't flying ... at least not yet.

Publisher 2K Games plans on finally releasing the shooter Duke Nukem Forever, which now falls under the development hands of Borderlands studio Gearbox Software, the Wall Street Journal reports.

The news has been independently confirmed thanks to 2K Games' Twitter feed, which features snapshots of a Duke Nukem Forever booth at this weekend's Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle.

"Quotes from fans passing by. "What?" "Wait, really?" "Dude, no way!" "Duke Nukem!!" Yes, it's real," reads an update from 2K's feed.

The Journal reports Gearbox began work on finishing up Duke Nukem Forever in late 2009, and the game is expected to arrive later this year. "We're in the polishing phase now. This is a game where we can not make a promise we can not fulfill," Pitchford tells the newspaper.

To say Duke Nukem Forever is long awaited is perhaps the greatest understatement in the video game industry. The game was introduced in April 1997 before meeting several well-publicized delays and the eventual closure of studio 3D Realms.

The game will serve as a sequel to Duke Nukem 3D and feature a single-player campaign and multiplayer.

Update at 2:07 p.m. ET: Gearbox Software has confirmed the game through its Twitter account. "Let everyone your mom, dad, friends, sisters dog, etc know. Duke is back baby!," reads an update from Gearbox.

And Gamespot is reporting the game will actually debut in 2011, on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
Old 09-03-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/03/du...er-to-urinate/
Old 09-04-10, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

It'll seem strange seeing this on my shelf. Like I've created some sort of paradox in the space time continuum.
Old 09-04-10, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I wonder if anyone's pre-order from Gamestop 13 years ago is still valid?
Old 09-05-10, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I wonder if anyone's pre-order from Gamestop 13 years ago is still valid?
13 years ago, I don't think I had actually been to a Gamestop yet.

There was a Babbage's, but I don't know when it changed over to GS. There was a Funcoland, but it had not yet merged with GS. I think I remember an Electronics Boutique. Did they get taken over by GS?
Old 09-05-10, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Electronics Boutique? Never heard of em...
Old 09-05-10, 08:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

It may be coming out, but it's not the same game. It's a new game with the same name.
Old 09-06-10, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho
It may be coming out, but it's not the same game. It's a new game with the same name.
I don't know, from the interview with Gearbox it seems like it's maybe half new game, half old.
Old 09-07-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Duke Nukem game for a comeback
Take-Two announces firm release date for game
By CHRIS MORRIS

'Duke Nukem Forever' will finally be produced after 13 years.

It took nearly five years for James Cameron to bring "Avatar" to the big screen -- but the Na'Vi have nothing on "Duke Nukem Forever."

First announced in 1997, this videogame -- featuring one of gaming's best known characters -- has been re-thought, re-booted and presumed dead multiple times. On Friday, Take-Two Interactive Software pulled off one of the gaming world's biggest surprises, not only announcing a firm release date and expanded platform footprint -- it will ship in 2011 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 -- but letting stunned gamers play it for the first time at last weekend's Penny Arcade Expo, a fan-centric gaming event held in Seattle.

It's something that was unthinkable just six months ago. 3D Realms, the creator and developer of the series, fired the entire development team in May 2009 when money ran out after 12 years of production. An ugly legal battle soon followed, with Take-Two suing 3D Realms, and 3D Realms countersuing.

But a few weeks later, Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software and a poker buddy of the co-founder of 3D Realms, got involved.

Gearbox was riding high on the strength of its latest release -- "Borderlands" -- which had saved Take-Two's recent fiscal quarter and was proving to have long legs at retail. Pitchford is a longtime developer, who had gotten his start at 3D Realms (and had even worked on "Duke Nukem Forever" when the game was first announced during the Clinton administration).

His suggestion: Have 3D Realms sell him the intellectual property they had held so dear for so long -- and trust him and his studio, which had several other former 3D Realms coders, to honor the character of Duke Nukem and his legacy.

"We felt we were in a spot where we can fix this," said Pitchford. "We're local. Everyone trusts us. We can keep Duke alive."

3D Realms co-owners George Broussard and Scott Miller agreed -- and Take-Two agreed to drop the legal action. Just like that, Duke was alive once more.

Duke Nukem is a gaming icon. And while he might not be particularly well known among the general public, to gamers he is as familiar as Lara Croft, Mario and Sonic. With his flattop haircut, steroid-inflated physique and omnipresent one-liners, action gamers quickly rallied around him.

He's an ass-kicker who likes his cigars and his women and has about as much use for political correctness as he does for the pig cops and alien shrink rays that pop up in his games. (Included among his famous over-the-top lines are "Your ass is grass and I've got the weed-whacker" and "Babes, bullets, bombs. Damn -- I love this job!")

The fourth installment of the franchise got caught up in a looping cycle -- as developers strived for perfection, restarting the game several times but never getting it any closer to completion. That ultimately led to its demise.

It also led to the franchise becoming a running joke. It won Wired Magazine's annual "Vaporware" award so many times that the publication gave it a lifetime achievement award so editors could focus on other products that failed to materialize.

Once Gearbox had acquired the IP and assessed the state of the game's progress, a decision was made to keep the secret locked tight until the team was certain of the release date.

"We recognize that this is a brand you cannot make promises about," said Pitchford. "There has been too much talk and not enough walk. ... Let's just show up at this show with the game and give people the opportunity to play it themselves."

The game's anything but a sure bet, given its perpetually-in-development history. But fans were raving after their taste of "Duke," happy not only with the game itself, but that they'd finally gotten closure after all these years. (Not to mention that with the change in IP ownership, there's bound to be even more Duke Nukem in the future.)

"When you think of this industry, there's no other title that has had this much attention paid to it," said Pitchford. "It's almost sad to break the tension. We could always trust that story [of continual delays] was always going to be there for us. But all great stories have to have an end."
Old 09-07-10, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

My only quibble at this point is how "2011" can be considered a "firm release date."
Old 09-07-10, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
My only quibble at this point is how "2011" can be considered a "firm release date."
I thought April 11th was the release date.
Old 09-07-10, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
I thought April 11th was the release date.
I don't think i've seen an actual date, but at this rate it really should just be April 1st, right?
Old 09-08-10, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used to make a joke with one of my lesbian friends as to what was going to come out first: her, or Duke Nukem Forever.

She won, by about 10 years.
Old 09-08-10, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Well if anybody can do it...it's Gearbox and it fits their style. it's not like they have to build from the ground up but build a game around a already well known character. Just looking at "Duke"...hell he could've been in Borderlands.
Old 09-17-10, 10:55 AM

Pre-orders at amazon http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-For...4738244&sr=1-3
Old 09-17-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When this game was announced, I was finishing up my senior year in high school.

What has happened since DNF was announced
Old 09-17-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This was playable at PAX this year and I tried to get some camera footage (no go) but I still got to play.

I have outgrown this game. The jokes, the sexual innuendo, the attitude - I could barely stand it. I did not find it funny or nostalgic. I'm curious who the audience for this will be; it totally fits a 15 year old boys dream but they will have no memories of the original and those that do remember the original probably have outgrown it and have no interest.
Old 10-05-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There will be a code in the Borderlands: GOTY edition to get early access to the DNF demo, once it's available.
Old 10-05-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

awesome stuff here
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-97N6jNKb4?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-97N6jNKb4?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>
Old 10-05-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by maingon
awesome stuff here
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-97N6jNKb4?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0-97N6jNKb4?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>
Love the end

"After 12 fucking years, it should be"
Old 10-05-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm going to hate myself when I play this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.