DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread of Bad(Classic) Oneliners (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/533040-official-duke-nukem-forever-thread-bad-classic-oneliners.html)

TheBigDave 06-05-08 08:38 PM

Official Duke Nukem Forever Thread of Bad(Classic) Oneliners

I'm not holding my breathe. But they actually have some gameplay footage of Duke Nukem Forever. And it looks pretty good.

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/06...nukem-forever/

fumanstan 06-05-08 08:47 PM

Yeah, I saw that earlier this afternoon. It actually looks pretty decent from the very small tiny video you see of it.

Jason Hall seems like a pretty cool dude too. That and I liked a lot of Monolith stuff ever since Shogo. :)

pinata242 06-05-08 09:56 PM

What the hell was up with the 2 subliminal chicks in bikinis after the DNF clip? :lol:

That's a dorky show, but if it can keep getting scoops like that I'll stick around.

And it's bugging, what is that dude's name at the end with the pipe. I can't think of his name for the life of me.

CKMorpheus 06-06-08 12:14 AM

It's about time... doesn't look like it should've taken 12 years to make, but it's finally on its way. And it's old school DNF... shrink ray :thumbsup: Can't wait.

AGuyNamedMike 06-06-08 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
And it's bugging, what is that dude's name at the end with the pipe. I can't think of his name for the life of me.

Gary Graham, from the old Alien Nation TV series and Star Trek: Enterprise. I believe the connection is that he worked on a fan made Star Trek film called Of Gods and Men and it has taken so long to be released some people call it Star Trek Forever, an allusion to the long wait for DNF. Perhaps this means that it, too, is about to come out in its entirety?

pinata242 06-06-08 10:13 AM

Gary Graham. Thanks. It was actually Robot Jox that I recognized him from :lol:

metalhead212 06-06-08 11:28 AM

Holy smokes. I sat through that video just to watch some guy play Prey with a new skin? Boy oh boy, can't wait for this one.

Dr Mabuse 06-06-08 11:36 AM

wow...

i remember those scenes they showed of the old grainy duke... kicking the alien eyeball through the uprights... that was wild...

this could be cool...

big e 06-06-08 11:42 AM

Why is this taking so long to get released? Could someone enlighten me?

fumanstan 06-06-08 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by big e
Why is this taking so long to get released? Could someone enlighten me?

Engine changes, redesigns, project restarts...

RForte1189 06-06-08 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
It's about time... doesn't look like it should've taken 12 years to make, but it's finally on its way. And it's old school DNF... shrink ray :thumbsup: Can't wait.

It didn't take 12 years to make... TECHNICALLY. They had to keep switching engines, and more than once I read that they completely scrapped the game and had to start all over again. Seems like their using the Doom3 Engine for this game.

fumanstan 05-06-09 07:23 PM

Re: Duke Nukem Forever Footage

Was trying to find another thread for Duke Nukem news... but anyway, Shacknews has a rumor that 3DRealms might be shut down.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/58519

A very reliable source close to Duke Nukem Forever developer 3D Realms today confirmed to Shacknews that the company has been shut down.
The closure came about as a result of funding issues, our source explained, with the shut down said to affect both 3D Realms and the recently resurrected Apogee name. Employees of both entities have already been let go.

Phone calls and e-mails to various 3D Realms veterans have thus far gone unanswered, with publishing partner Take-Two likewise unavailable for comment.

Bandit03 05-06-09 07:31 PM

Damn, and to think we were so close to the release of Forever :(

;)

taffer 05-06-09 07:48 PM

I am honestly surprised that they have managed to hang on this long without going bankrupt. They have only released three games this whole decade, Prey and Max Payne 1 and 2. Prey and Max Payne 2 didn't sell well so I was always wondering how they were getting funding for this astronomically long development time for Duke. I always felt like they knew the game wasn't going to happen and were just stringing along the joke.

pinata242 05-06-09 07:57 PM

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/06/ru...lms-shut-down/

According to Shacknews, Duke Nukem developer 3D Realms (Apogee Software, Ltd.) has closed its doors. The developer was reportedly forced to cease operations due to funding issues, prompting it to lay off all staff. Perhaps developing one title for more than a decade wasn't a great strategy. :lol:

3D Realms was founded by George Broussard and Scott Miller in 1987, but became a household name with Duke Nukem 3D in 1996. While 3D Realms is also known for publishing high profile titles, such as Max Payne, the studio has become famous for developing Duke Nukem Forever for the last 13 years. Joystiq has reached out to 3D Realms and its publishing partner, Take-Two Interactive, for comment.

Update: The situation has been all but confirmed following an official statement from a studio representative that reads "Deep Silver and Apogee Software are not affected by the situation at 3D Realms. Development on the Duke Nukem Trilogy is continuing as planned."

Deftones 05-06-09 08:04 PM

sweet! by the time my kid is eighteen, he'll be able to play duke nukem 3d!

taffer 05-06-09 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 9429239)
sweet! by the time my kid is eighteen, he'll be able to play duke nukem 3d!

What? :hscratch:

Duke Nukem 3D has been out since 1996.

rennervision 05-06-09 10:19 PM

Would promising a game for 13 years and taking money from (I assume) Take-Two with nothing to show for it but a teaser trailer qualify as fraud?

I'm mad, but seriously - shame on me for caring. I mean, who designs a game and keeps restarting it from scratch everytime a new game engine comes out? There's always going to be a new freaking game engine right around the corner! They probably decided to start all over again when Crysis came out. Did they think technology would eventually reach a point where it stops developing? They could have released six Duke Nukem sequels incrementally every two years since 1996!

jeffbase34 05-07-09 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by rennervision (Post 9429470)
Would promising a game for 13 years and taking money from (I assume) Take-Two with nothing to show for it but a teaser trailer qualify as fraud?

I'm mad, but seriously - shame on me for caring. I mean, who designs a game and keeps restarting it from scratch everytime a new game engine comes out? There's always going to be a new freaking game engine right around the corner! They probably decided to start all over again when Crysis came out. Did they think technology would eventually reach a point where it stops developing? They could have released six Duke Nukem sequels incrementally every two years since 1996!

I don't get it either. Were they just trying to build up the hype? Eventually, people stopped caring. If the game came out, it would be no better than Matt Hazard Eat Lead which has bombed pretty bad this year.

Dr Mabuse 05-07-09 09:11 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8037688.stm

Another story on this.

From this article it appears Duke Nukem is dead.

taffer 05-07-09 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by jeffbase34 (Post 9429974)
I don't get it either. Were they just trying to build up the hype?

I think that they realized that Duke Forever had become a pop culture joke, and they were just playing along with it. I think that the game was quietly canceled long ago, and all the more recent screenshots and videos were just quick mock-ups that were created simply for a joke.

Kelkee 05-07-09 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by jeffbase34 (Post 9429974)
I don't get it either. Were they just trying to build up the hype? Eventually, people stopped caring.

Actually we didnt stop caring and "they" knew this years ago. So yes its becoming very clear that is was all hype.

Do you honestly think that they were actually working on a real game for 13 years?

Have a look-see here:
http://gamingisstupid.com/2009/05/06...story-revival/

Deftones 05-07-09 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by taffer (Post 9429291)
What? :hscratch:

Duke Nukem 3D has been out since 1996.

duke nukem forever. whatever.

taffer 05-07-09 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Deftones (Post 9430075)
duke nukem forever. whatever.

Duke Nukem 1 and 2 were both side scrolling shooters. Duke Nukem 3D was a first person shooter. Duke Nukem Forever would have been the 4th main game (not counting the console spin-off titles).

WVUMountaineers 05-07-09 01:15 PM

Duke Nukem is now never gonna be finished.. they lost money for the project

source ohgizmo.com its about midway down the page