Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread Pt. 5

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by REL77
I thought it was obvious, I think Prince Sucks, is way over rated, and has no real talent.
This is bullshit of the highest order. I'm not the biggest prince fan around, but he's probably one of the best musicians of the past century. That's right CENTURY. He can play any instrument better than practically anybody (as a guitarist, he's up there at least in the top 25 of all time), not to mention writes hit after hit song.

He's got more talent that you or I could ever hope for, in anything.
Old 03-09-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out Johnathan Coulton singing Still Alive on Rock Band... live... http://www.videosift.com/video/Johna...e-in-Rock-Band
Old 03-09-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Check out Johnathan Coulton singing Still Alive on Rock Band... live... http://www.videosift.com/video/Johna...e-in-Rock-Band
This guy has so much more talent than Prince would ever have.
Old 03-09-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I thought it was obvious, I think Prince Sucks, is way over rated, and has no real talent.
I think it's obvious. It took you 86 games to get to level 10 in Halo 3. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 03-09-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think it's obvious. It took you 86 games to get to level 10 in Halo 3. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.
Busted out the stats fo' real!
Old 03-09-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If I had some props in my pocket to disburse to both Liver & Onions and Corvin i would for their last couple of comments.
Old 03-09-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Yeah, I have really been hoping that their ability to get the "Foreplay/Long Time" master meant we'd see more Boston, as "Piece of Mind" is really a blast on GH3.

I'd love to see Journey, too, but as fine as I am with covers in these games, I have little faith in anyone to pull of a quality Steve Perry if those multi-track masters aren't available. And just from the fact that the "Anyway You Want it" master sounds somewhat off in GH3, I'm guessing they may not be.
I agree a Boston 3-pack with "Piece of Mind", "More Than A Feeling" and whatever else would be nasty.

I agree with your comments about Journey too. I'm not sure if that's a re-recording or what, but it's definitely not the original.
Old 03-09-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
I get into this arguement with a guy at work all the time. He refuses to DL any song that he doesn't like (Rush/Dead/52's/Skynyrd/etc). I tell him he's missing out on some fun stuff, but he won't budge. I look back at GH2, GH3, and the original RB lineup and there are a ton of songs that I never heard of, or didn't like to hear on the radio that are still a blast to play, and that's what the game is all about...playing, and the more new songs you can add to your lineup, the more fun the game is. Take advantage of what is offered to you, if you only want to hear your favorites, grab your iPod.
I think that's ridiculous, I'm not going to download a song I really don't like. If they were all free - then sure, I'd get everything. But why pay for a song you'd never even listen to on your own, let alone buy it?

There's songs in RB already that I can't stand...if I could have gotten the game cheaper by not having those songs included, I would have. But that's the beauty of DLC = not having to spend money on shit songs.
Old 03-09-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
I look back at GH2, GH3, and the original RB lineup and there are a ton of songs that I never heard of, or didn't like to hear on the radio that are still a blast to play, and that's what the game is all about...playing, and the more new songs you can add to your lineup, the more fun the game is. .
Therein lies a great bonus of a disc based model. Experiencing music you normally wouldn't have heard or checked out. It's hard to take that leap at $2 a pop on DLC. I will say I did download all but one of the $1 tracks back in January. A much easier price to swallow for something you are unfamiliar with.

Before GHIII came out I had a list of about 20 of the tracks I couldn't wait to play. A lot of what remained were songs I was unfamiliar with. Post release, and to this day, the ones I find most fun are the ones I didn't know.
Old 03-09-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by naitram
I think that's ridiculous, I'm not going to download a song I really don't like.
That's why you do a bit of research on a song. Listen to it when it's announced via a youtube music video or something. Or wait until it's released and check out a youtube video of the charts (I've got a bunch in my DLC Post linked in my sig).

I probably hadn't heard of half of the DLC I purchased before it was announced. For instance, I had never heard Limelight before it was announced, and that's one of my favorite tracks to pull double duty on with Guitar/Vocals or Bass/Vocals.
Old 03-09-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Shagrath
I had never heard Limelight before it was announced,
Does this look fairly similar to the rock you live under?
Old 03-09-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Fair enough, but why would you care if an enormously popular artist was added for all his actual fans?

I don't care for the thrash metal stuff but i think it is awesome they are doing some stuff like that for the fans. I was ecstatic for the recent Dead release but i know many aren't into them.

I guess i was puzzled why someone would be "severely" disappointed by something they would have no intention of buying and therefore not ever have to experience.

My orig post was that I was going to be disappointed.. I being the key word, meaning Me. I would personaly be disappointed. I would be glad for the prince fans, but I would get nothing out of it. For things like the trash metal, I dont like it, but I would atleast see more value in it that its more rock like, but Prince really is a sore spot for me and his type of music is all. I am sure I am in the minority here with my views of prince, i just dont like him
Old 03-09-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, you busted out my Halo score... Another game I didnt like that much.. Because I suck at halo I dont know anything?... I like your logic Having never ever played halo before, i thought I did OK.

Well, you have never been to the moon, so yeah, you know nothing either.... Hhaha (See what I did there, i used your logic)..

Really people, I dont like prince, i dont think he is talented, thats just me. I have an opinion, deal with it. I know he has sold millions of records, and people love him, but I dont. Billy Ray Cirus sold millions as well, was Achy Breaky that great of a song, was he at the same level of Prince? Really, i just dont dig the Prince and his entire Moniker gimmick and what not ...

Last edited by REL77; 03-09-08 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-09-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
This guy has so much more talent than Prince would ever have.

Amen brother.... Amen...
Old 03-09-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does this look fairly similar to the rock you live under?
As I never listen to the radio, everything I've heard since high school has been of my choosing. I don't think I'd ever even heard a Rush song until YYZ in GH2. I'd just buy a CD because it had a cool cover or whatnot, and then branch from there to other artists on that label or others that sounded similar. My tastes are extremely varied, but I just never got into listening to what others thought I should listen to (radio).
Old 03-09-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
I agree a Boston 3-pack with "Piece of Mind", "More Than A Feeling" and whatever else Rock & Roll Band would be nasty.
Old 03-09-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If there was ever an album tailor made for Rock Band it would be Boston's self-titled debut.

Wow, you busted out my Halo score... Another game I didnt like that much.. Because I suck at halo I dont know anything?... I like your logic Having never ever played halo before, i thought I did OK.
... hook, line, sinker. It was a joke. There was some tool in the forum about a month ago throwing out that line to everyone who didn't agree with him. We haven't seen him since.

Also, not as funny when you have to explain it. Although, I'm sure it is a line that will be around for a long while, so now you are "in the know."
Old 03-09-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As I never listen to the radio, everything I've heard since high school has been of my choosing. I don't think I'd ever even heard a Rush song until YYZ in GH2. I'd just buy a CD because it had a cool cover or whatnot, and then branch from there to other artists on that label or others that sounded similar. My tastes are extremely varied, but I just never got into listening to what others thought I should listen to (radio).
You should really pick up the Rush - Moving Pictures album. It's a great album. Tom Sawyer, Limelight and, YYZ are all on that album.
Old 03-10-08, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
That's why you do a bit of research on a song. Listen to it when it's announced via a youtube music video or something. Or wait until it's released and check out a youtube video of the charts (I've got a bunch in my DLC Post linked in my sig).

I probably hadn't heard of half of the DLC I purchased before it was announced. For instance, I had never heard Limelight before it was announced, and that's one of my favorite tracks to pull double duty on with Guitar/Vocals or Bass/Vocals.

That's the point that I was trying to make. I HATE the Grateful Dead...HATE them. When the pack came out I watched your video of it and thought Casey Jones looked like a fun song to play, as well as Truckin. I enjoy playing both of them, and I'm probably going to download the other 4 Dead songs eventually too just because it adds some new stuff to play. I also couldn't believe that I downloaded the B52 song...as I was DL'ing it I was looking around to make sure no one was watching, lol, but even that song is fun to play. Maybe it's me, but I just like playing this game, no matter what the song is. I'd never listen to 75-80% of the RB songs if they came on the radio, but I want to play them all.
Old 03-10-08, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If there was ever an album tailor made for Rock Band it would be Boston's self-titled debut.

... hook, line, sinker. It was a joke. There was some tool in the forum about a month ago throwing out that line to everyone who didn't agree with him. We haven't seen him since.

Also, not as funny when you have to explain it. Although, I'm sure it is a line that will be around for a long while, so now you are "in the know."

I took it as a joke No worries... Thanks for getting me "In The Know"....
Old 03-10-08, 08:02 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My orig post was that I was going to be disappointed.. I being the key word, meaning Me. I would personaly be disappointed. I would be glad for the prince fans, but I would get nothing out of it. For things like the trash metal, I dont like it, but I would atleast see more value in it that its more rock like, but Prince really is a sore spot for me and his type of music is all. I am sure I am in the minority here with my views of prince, i just dont like him
Why be disappointed? That's silly. I hate the Grateful Dead with a passion, along with several other bands already available for DLC (and some of the bands that are on the original disc, for that matter), but I don't go around saying it bothers me that the DLC is available for people who like it. The beauty of this game is that if you don't download it, you never have to play it. The songs can't even come up in online games, because both parties have to have downloaded it.

I do find it funny that you say you don't like Prince and "his type of music," because Prince's music encompasses rock, country, jazz, new wave, funk, R&B, neo-psychedelia, rap, instrumental, acoustic, slow jams, freak outs, and much, much more besides. He's by far one of the most musically varied artists in the world. He just blends it all together into one big stew, versus someone like David Bowie, who is also very artistically diverse, but tends to focus on one style per album.

Edit: Just to make my point clear, I completely respect your opinion. No one is saying you have to enjoy Prince's music. We are asking that you respect his abilities as a musician and songwriter, even if it's not something you personally enjoy.

Last edited by Supermallet; 03-10-08 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-10-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Why be disappointed? That's silly. I hate the Grateful Dead with a passion, along with several other bands already available for DLC (and some of the bands that are on the original disc, for that matter), but I don't go around saying it bothers me that the DLC is available for people who like it. The beauty of this game is that if you don't download it, you never have to play it. The songs can't even come up in online games, because both parties have to have downloaded it.

I do find it funny that you say you don't like Prince and "his type of music," because Prince's music encompasses rock, country, jazz, new wave, funk, R&B, neo-psychedelia, rap, instrumental, acoustic, slow jams, freak outs, and much, much more besides. He's by far one of the most musically varied artists in the world. He just blends it all together into one big stew, versus someone like David Bowie, who is also very artistically diverse, but tends to focus on one style per album.

Edit: Just to make my point clear, I completely respect your opinion. No one is saying you have to enjoy Prince's music. We are asking that you respect his abilities as a musician and songwriter, even if it's not something you personally enjoy.
I would be disappointed because with all the rumored bands and songs that are suppose to come out, that they went with Prince instead of something like the Nirvana Nevermind Album, or one of the other rumored/confirmed songs... I would much rather have, say, The Foo Fighters Pack. Thats why I used the word disappointed as each week I look forward to finding out whats coming out. If it is Prince, so be it, i would certainlygo on living
Old 03-10-08, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
You should really pick up the Rush - Moving Pictures album. It's a great album. Tom Sawyer, Limelight and, YYZ are all on that album.
Moving Pictures
Signals
Grace Under Pressure

That's an awesome and varied set of albums from Rush.
Old 03-10-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do we have an announcement for the DLC?
Old 03-10-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As of right now, no.

For what it's worth, they did say that regular Friday announcements should happen at 2 PM EST. So perhaps today's announcement will be at 2 PM EST as well? If so, we only have another hour to wait.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.