Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

official PS3 thread x.2

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
Portable USB HD. I haven't tried it with a networked PC yet.

Can AVIs be read off a memory stick/ USB drive as well, or do they have to burned to disc?
Old 03-27-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by bahgee
Can AVIs be read off a memory stick/ USB drive as well, or do they have to burned to disc?
Music, photos, and videos can be accessed by USB memory stick, USB hard drive, memory cards (if your PS3 model has memory card reader). They can also be copied to the internal harddrive.
Old 03-27-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 723 Posts
The files on the USB drive have to be set up in a certain way though, right? I know that's how it is when copying themes. On the drive there needs to be a folder named "PS3" and within that folder, another one named "THEME" which has the actual theme files in it. Do you have to do that for videos and music as well?
Old 03-27-08, 10:59 AM

Is there anything one can do to play Divx files that come up as "unsupported data"? I have had any number of files that are clearly encoded as Divx, and should play, and yet won't. I've even had ones that played once, and the next time wouldn't. Is there any solution for this?
Old 03-27-08, 11:10 AM
Banned

So I typed "ps3 themes" in google and got some good results. Trouble is, I'm busy at work and don't have time to go through the hundreds of themes that I've found. Anyone have reccommendations for an awesome theme? Preferably something that looks great in HD.

Thanks.
Old 03-27-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 723 Posts
Originally Posted by SonOfAStu
So I typed "ps3 themes" in google and got some good results. Trouble is, I'm busy at work and don't have time to go through the hundreds of themes that I've found. Anyone have reccommendations for an awesome theme? Preferably something that looks great in HD.

Thanks.
I have a bunch installed on my machine that I cycle between. Probably my favorite right now is a Kingdom Hearts theme. It's very clean looking and you can read the text of the XMB well. There's also a great one based off Phantom Hourglass.
Old 03-27-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
The files on the USB drive have to be set up in a certain way though, right? I know that's how it is when copying themes. On the drive there needs to be a folder named "PS3" and within that folder, another one named "THEME" which has the actual theme files in it. Do you have to do that for videos and music as well?
I'm using a MyBook and after ripping my CDs and trying them via the PS3 the
music shows up as do the pic files that were on some of the discs. No special
folders were created at all by me, only the artist names automatically when
ripping the CDs. The PS3 saw the music in the music cue and the pics in the
photo cue. Maybe the themes need it so they don't get filed under photos?
Old 03-28-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, for music, photos and video you DON'T need any special folder in your usb drive, cd or flash drive for the PS3 to recognize them.
Old 03-28-08, 12:17 PM

For those interested, there is a new IR to Bluetooth converter (can turn the PS3 off/on as well):

http://ir2bt.com/
Old 03-28-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Besides my PS3, I've got a Sony DVD Player back from 2005 that resumes for up to 40 discs. It won't hold a resume on menus, you have to actually be watching some type of video on the disc...
That just shows that Sony has no idea on how to do a proper resume. My old JVC would put you back in the movie, or at whichever menu you left off or even in the middle of a slideshow. It would literally return you to exactly where you left off. That's how I wish Sony had done it. I'm happy with what we have, but would love to see them do it properly in the future.
Old 03-28-08, 12:24 PM

So why does my PS3 kick me off my wireless internet connection every time I turn it on? It disables it, then connects to it. It does this every single time I turn it on. I'm using a wired connection from my wireless router to my PS3, so it shouldn't even be doing anything with my wireless connection, right? My 360 works like a charm with the wired connection, so why is the PS3 being a bitch?
Old 03-28-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by alxreys
For those interested, there is a new IR to Bluetooth converter (can turn the PS3 off/on as well):

$55 are they freaking serious. Come on people, stop the rape.
Old 03-28-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alxreys

Nice. Now if only it wasn't $55...
Old 03-28-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Juzylle
So why does my PS3 kick me off my wireless internet connection every time I turn it on? It disables it, then connects to it. It does this every single time I turn it on. I'm using a wired connection from my wireless router to my PS3, so it shouldn't even be doing anything with my wireless connection, right? My 360 works like a charm with the wired connection, so why is the PS3 being a bitch?
Linksys router? If so, update your router firmware.
Old 03-28-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My PS3 used to be a bully too. I had to give it a static IP in order to make it stop kicking one of my computers offline.
Old 03-28-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Static IPs and, if enabled, disable UPnP.
Old 03-28-08, 01:04 PM

Yeah, it's a Linksys...thanks for all the help..I'll try to fix it when I fire it up again.
Old 03-28-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
Nice. Now if only it wasn't $55...
I will need one of these when I get a PS3, but $20-$25 sounds more reasonable.
Old 03-28-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OMG PixelJunk Monsters is so addictive. I knew I shouldn't have bought this game, I don't want to do anything else now!
Old 03-28-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So if you have to choose between High Velocity Bowling and Pain, what would you choose?
I can't make my mind. I kinda prefer Pain, but I'm not 100% sure.
Has any of them been cheaper than $9.99?
Old 03-28-08, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been thinking about getting a PS3 for Blu-Ray movie playback. Are there any good deals out there? Are the pre-orders for the MGS editions sold out yet?
Old 03-28-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,407 Likes on 4,384 Posts
Originally Posted by Raul3
So if you have to choose between High Velocity Bowling and Pain, what would you choose?
I can't make my mind. I kinda prefer Pain, but I'm not 100% sure.
Has any of them been cheaper than $9.99?
Don't have Pain, but I love the bowling game. I think it's a lot of fun. If you're interested, you can buy Pain and send me a PM and we can trade -- you dl bowling and then I dl Pain.
Old 03-28-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Don't have Pain, but I love the bowling game. I think it's a lot of fun. If you're interested, you can buy Pain and send me a PM and we can trade -- you dl bowling and then I dl Pain.
how does that work?

If I have everyday shooter, and you have pain. How can we swap? Me no understandy.
Old 03-29-08, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts
I don't think it is but, is the PS3 an upconverting DVD player?
Old 03-29-08, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,407 Likes on 4,384 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
how does that work?

If I have everyday shooter, and you have pain. How can we swap? Me no understandy.
OK, shamelessly stolen from a PS3 forum post at CAG and spoilerized so that it won't take up a whole page:
Spoiler:
How Gamesharing/Trading REALLY works

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys/girls, I've been looking through all the gamesharing/trading topics and it's beginning to drive me completely bonkers. Everyone's wondering why even though they've only shared the same game with 3/4 people, they suddenly don't have any trades left. Well, this is why:

It's not the games you get to share 5 times. It's the account you bought them on. Every account has a limit of 5 PS3's that can download from it, including the owner. So you and 4 other people/PS3's can download AS MUCH AS YOU WANT from your account, but as soon as 5 people/PS3's (including the owner) have downloaded from it THAT'S IT. That doesn't mean that you can't share anymore, you can, but it has to be with the original 5 PS3's (including the owner) that are now attached your account's memory.

Here's an example. I make an account, let's call it 'Superflakes'. I buy Loco Roco and Pixeljunk Monsters. I then share Loco Roco with 'Bob123', 'Gigantoballs', 'Notahomo' and 'magicpengel'. Then I go to share Pixeljunk monsters with 'Megamolly' and it says I have no shares. WTF, right? Well:

There's now 5 people/PS3's attached to your account. Superflakes, Bob123, Gigantoballs, Notahomo and magicpengel. That means that you can trade ANYTHING you want, ANYTIME you want, AS MUCH as you want with those 4 people/PS3's, but no one else.

So what do you do if you want to trade with someone other than that initial group? You make another PSN account (read the important edit 2 below for more information on that).

So there isn't a game share limit, there's an account share limit. That's why I regularly share games (more than 5 times too, we tested it) with 4 of my buddies and have a seperate account for random people that may have stuff I want.

I really hope this helped everyone and stops people from going WTF!? whenever they can't share with someone because their shares are magically gone. Take care CAGers!

------------------------------------- Important Edit - How to trade -------------------------------------

Okay, this is for people who don't know how to trade in the first place. Here's what you do:

1. Find someone trustworthy. You're giving them your account info so I can't stress this enough. I always get the MSN/AIM of someone I'm trading with so that we can trade account info at the exact same time and keep each other up to date on when each person is done.

2. Get rid of any credit card/billing info in your account. Otherwise, the person who signs into it could just use your card to download whatever the heck he/she wants.

3. Change your account's password, then change it back when you're done. You don't want the password to be the same before and after the trade because then the person you traded with could get into your account whenever he/she wants.

4. Make a new User/Profile on your PS3 using the PSN Name of the person you're trading with as the user/profile name. This is to help keep track of who you've traded with, and either way it's mandatory. DO NOT DELETE THIS USER/PROFILE AFTER THE TRADE! If you do, anything you've downloaded from that person will stop working!

5. Swap account info with the person you're trading with (Username & Pass), then take that info, go into the new profile you made and click 'Sign Up' under the 'Playstation Network' tab. From here, choose 'Use an existing account' and input the info they gave you. If he/she hasn't lied to you, it should accept it and you should now be connected to the Playstation Network. If it accepts it but doesn't connect you right away, just click 'Sign In' while at the XMB and everything should work.

6. Now that you're signed into their account, click on Playstation Store (the place you'd go to download demo's and whatnot). At the top right of the store is a button called 'Download List'. This is where everything that person has downloaded is stored. Go in there and just download whatever you want. It doesn't matter if you take anything you guys hadn't originally agreed on since you guys can now share as much as you want with each other anyway (read what I wrote above this edit).

7. Once you've taken everything you wanted and it's all downloading, sign out of the person's account and let him/her know you're done. Even if you sign out of their account the stuff will keep downloading so don't worry about it. I prefer to get in and out as quickly as possible so neither of us thinks the other person's doing anything they shouldn't.

8. That's it! Once everything's downloaded just install it and you've officially got a bunch of new goodies. Remember, DO NOT DELETE THE USER/PROFILE YOU MADE FOR THIS TRADE! I can't stress this enough as all this hard work is flushed down the toilet if you do.

So now that you've traded, this person/PS3 is attached to your account. That means you can trade as much as you want with this person again and again with no repercussions. Read my original post (before this edit) for more information on that. Have fun!

------------------------------- Important Edit 2 - Making a new PSN Account -------------------------------

Alright so some people are wondering how to make a new PSN Account to trade with more people and what exactly happens if you do. Here are the steps to making another one:

1. Make a new User/Profile on your PS3. Call it whatever you want, it doesn't matter, plus you can change it later.

2. Click the 'Sign Up' button under 'Playstation Network' and create a new 'Master Account'. I've never tried making a sub account and the way I see it if it ain't broke don't fix it.

3. Create the account using a different e-mail address than any other accounts you've made. Everything else can be the same, just make sure the e-mail is different (since that's how they send you account information).

4. After the account's been created, you're done!

It'll be a completely fresh PSN Account so the download history will be empty (meaning no one can download anything from it until you've downloaded something with it) and it won't affect anything else, meaning you can switch users/profiles and still do whatever you want on other accounts (which stay exactly the same as they were before).

------------------------------- Important Edit 3 - Frequently Asked Questions -------------------------------

Last but not least are some questions people may have (thanks to everyone who commented and brought these up, they'll help everyone else) and some answers that should help you guys/girls out.

Q: I deleted the User/Profile I made for someone I traded with by mistake, now all the stuff I downloaded from him/her show an error and won't work. What do I do?

A: There's two ways to fix this. First of all re-make the User/Profile with the exact same name as before and get in contact with the person you traded with.

First Method: Go into his/her download list and start the downloads of everything you downloaded before, then after they start and the 'Activating' message disappears, stop the downloads. This re-activates everything and gets them working again. It's quick, and saves bandwidth.

Second Method: Delete all the broken downloads off your drive, then go into his/her download list and re-download everything completely. This takes longer and uses up your internet bandwidth but is definitely useful for people who like to play it safe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.