Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Virtual Console Thread (Wii)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One and Only Virtual Console Thread (Wii)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-07, 11:27 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I would like to see them have weekly promos where you can get certain games cheaper. Or even free from time to time just to spur interest.

Is anybody really putting forward 500 points for DK Junior Math? I got that game for free playing Animal Crossing and promptly sold it to Tom Nook.
Old 09-19-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Japan AND Europe will have Sin & Punishment next week.
And we usually don't know what we get until a few hours out - unless it is a Hudson TG game. There's still hope.
Old 09-19-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I have a lot of points now and thanks to deals at Toys R Us and the old Best Buy coupons I have been paying around $15 for my 2000 point cards. I can deal with the N64 games being $7.50 and so on.

However, I also think Nintendo should be putting games on sale and they definitely should give away games as preorder bonuses. They missed an opportunity with Metroid Prime 3 to try this out. I think a free copy of Super Metroid would have increased preorders for the game.
Old 09-19-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe Blast Corps will end up redone on live arcade.
Old 09-20-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just read on QJ that the ESRB rated the following...presumably for near term release.

Alien Storm
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest
Crack Down
ESWAT: City Under Siege
Golden Axe III
Ninja Gaiden 2: The Dark Sword of Chaos
Pilotwings
Pro Wrestling
Super Turrican
Super Turrican II
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game
Vectorman
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Old 09-20-07, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_D
Maybe Blast Corps will end up redone on live arcade.
I've read Rare is working on an Arcade title, so here's hoping.
Old 09-21-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember Castlevania II was such a WTF after playing the first one. I loved it though, and beat it many many times.
Old 09-21-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I would love to see Castlevania Bloodlines from the Genesis - it's the only 2D Castlevania I've never played. And I guess it's supposed to be really good. DraculaX would be cool too.
Old 09-21-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That would be cool if Nintendo did a follow-up to Pro Wrestling. I LOVED that game... Star Man and King Slender were my favorites.
Old 09-21-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by shumway
I remember Castlevania II was such a WTF after playing the first one. I loved it though, and beat it many many times.
I've never played it. It's been a Castlevania year for me though so I'll probably get it.

So far this year I've finished:

Castlevania
Super Castlevania IV
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrows
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruins

I have the three GBA games sitting on the shelf ready to go as well.
Old 09-21-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

II was kind of action/RPGish. Sounds like you've definitely been making your way through 'em. I beat PoR, have DoS but haven't started it and haven't dl'd either SCIV or the original. I could just never beat Drac and don't know if I'm up to the good ol' Nintendo difficulty, or, the difficulty now.
Old 09-21-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by shumway
II was kind of action/RPGish. Sounds like you've definitely been making your way through 'em. I beat PoR, have DoS but haven't started it and haven't dl'd either SCIV or the original. I could just never beat Drac and don't know if I'm up to the good ol' Nintendo difficulty, or, the difficulty now.
Took me about 30 minutes of getting my ass kicked before figuring it out.

Spoiler:
Save your hearts and nab the Holy Water. Take on Dracula slow and methodical with just your whip. Wait until he shoots the fireballs and jump over them and whip him in the face. Don't stand still or he will spawn right on top of you. Repeat until he turns into the Gargoyle monster.

Use the holy water on the Gargoyle to stun him, jump-whip him in the face. You can usually get 3 shots each time. Repeat. He's actually easier than Drac.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 09-21-07 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-21-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Angry Nintendo Nerd's Castlevania 2 review is a classic:

Old 09-21-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow. He's cut out all the swearing. It went from hyper-active to somber. Two extremes. He couldn't find a happy medium?

Anyway, Thanks AVG Nerd. Looks like I may pass on this steaming pile of goat shit.
Old 09-21-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I like CVII a lot, but his negative reviews don't really surprise me though. Most people going in expecting a game like I or III aren't going to like it because it is quite different. Some of his complaints are pretty weak though:

Why aren't the passwords like CVIII passwords? Maybe because there are RPGish elements, and there are about a million possible combinations of things that you can have. The CVIII password system isn't possible.

How are you supposed to know what to do with the oak stake? RTFM. It is right there in the manual.

How would you know how to get past certain obstacles (the cliff, in his example)? Talk to villagers and read the books in the fortresses. Every solution is available in the game.

Why can't he swim? Perhaps he would feel better if it was just a pit there instead. You'd still die in the exact same manner. It it would just look slightly different. Most games of that era have places where you will die if you fall into it. Mario has pits, Zelda II has pits, etc.

Why are there false floors in the castle that you can fall through? It is a puzzle. Figure things out a path. Maybe they could get rid of the false floors and fill in the water with solid ground. Then you can just walk straight through it (and complain about it like you do in Dracula's castle).

Last edited by Jeremy517; 09-21-07 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-21-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, is that the edited version?
Try this:

Old 09-21-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Took me about 30 minutes of getting my ass kicked before figuring it out.

Spoiler:
Save your hearts and nab the Holy Water. Take on Dracula slow and methodical with just your whip. Wait until he shoots the fireballs and jump over them and whip him in the face. Don't stand still or he will spawn right on top of you. Repeat until he turns into the Gargoyle monster.

Use the holy water on the Gargoyle to stun him, jump-whip him in the face. You can usually get 3 shots each time. Repeat. He's actually easier than Drac.
Thanks, I could get to the second form, but, I think my problem was that I was letting him hurt me in his first form by not moving around enough. I may have to spend the 500 points yet! HAHA!
Old 09-21-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
I just read on QJ that the ESRB rated the following...presumably for near term release.

Alien Storm
Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest
Crack Down
ESWAT: City Under Siege
Golden Axe III
Ninja Gaiden 2: The Dark Sword of Chaos
Pilotwings
Pro Wrestling
Super Turrican
Super Turrican II
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game
Vectorman
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Some, like Pilotwings have been on the ESRB for awhile. My guess is that they're already emulated and ready to go, but Nintendo is waiting for the right time to market them.
Old 09-24-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
VC Updates for 9/24:
Kirby's Avalanche™ (Super NES®, 1-2 players, rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): Everyone's favorite round, pink hero takes a break from swallowing his enemies to put your brain to work in this fast-paced puzzle game. Players take control of Kirby and match wits with well-known enemies from the Kirby series (including his archrival, King Dedede) in an effort to win the First Annual Dream Land Avalanche Competition. The simple-but-addictive game play revolves around brightly colored blobs and boulders. When the right amount of matching blobs are stacked, they explode and rain down on your opponent's field of play. Repeat this until your screen is clear to move on to the next round. But be careful—the farther you advance, the faster the blobs fall and the smarter the opponents get. Are you good enough to help Kirby become the avalanche king?

Streets of Rage™ 3 (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, rated E 10+ for Everyone 10 and Older - Violence, 800 Wii Points): Just when you thought the world was safe from the Syndicate and its shady leader, Mr. X, they have returned to torment the city once again. Mr. X has developed lifelike robots to take the place of various city officials so he can be in complete control. Now it's up to our old heroes Axel, Skate and Blaze to stop the threat with their amazing fighting skills. With more weapons and combat moves, as well as secret characters and various endings, this return to the streets is one you won't want to miss.

LEGEND OF HERO TONMA (TurboGrafx16, 1-2 players, rated E for Everyone - Mild Cartoon Violence, 600 Wii Points): LEGEND OF HERO TONMA is an action game that puts players in control of the magic-user Tonma, whose role - as was typical for game heroes of the day - is to travel to another world and save the princess. Fight your way through seven stages using Tonma's jump ability and shot power. Collect power-ups and barriers to grow in strength and pummel your enemies. Bring that strength to the end of each stage to face off against and defeat the menacing bosses that aim to keep you from the princess. This well-detailed game's comic visuals and feel will have players wanting to come back for more frantic and exciting action.
No Sin & Punishment or SMB2 or Picross or anything special!
Old 09-24-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Streets of Rage 3 was a good game. I'm not sure if it was better than 2 though.
Old 09-24-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sin & Punishment next week, please NoA!
Old 09-27-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
No Sin & Punishment or SMB2 or Picross or anything special!
Boo!
Old 09-27-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I downloaded the OTHER SMB2 on a whim the other day. Say what you will, but I love that game. Anyway, it was pretty disappointing...buggy with slowdown and I can't even see the symbols on the slot machine, so that's out.
Old 10-01-07, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

SIN & PUNISHMENT!
Old 10-01-07, 08:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
SIN & PUNISHMENT!
1200 VC points -- ouch. This one better be worth the hype. Unfortunately, Zelda comes out tomorrow so it'll be a while until I can check it out.

Also released: SMB: The Lost Levels (@ 600 points)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.