DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   The One and Only Virtual Console Thread (Wii) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/512135-one-only-virtual-console-thread-wii.html)

Groucho 09-17-07 11:55 AM

The One and Only Virtual Console Thread (Wii)

A lot of posts to the main Wii thread have been about the Virtual Console, and I felt the service deserved its own area in order to keep that thread for more general discussion.

Helpful Links:
* List of Virtual Console games (North America) -- from Wikipedia, always kept up to date and a good resource
* Official Site (Nintendo) -- includes video footage of all games
* VC Reviews Review site

Groucho 09-17-07 11:57 AM

This week's updates (thanks to pinata242):

Yoshi's Story™ (Nintendo 64, 1 player, rated E for Everyone, 1,000 Wii Points): The evil Baby Bowser has cast a spell turning Yoshi's Island™ into a picture book. Worse yet, the Super Happy Tree has been stolen, making the island dark and gloomy. Players must take control of six Yoshis, each a different color, and travel through six pages (worlds) of platforming adventure to recover the tree and return the island to normal. Featuring huge character models and bright, vibrant colors, the game's various environments (such as woods, caves, mountains and oceans) come alive in a uniquely gorgeous 2˝-D look. Eat fruit, avoid enemies and obstacles, and throw eggs from the Yoshis' never-ending supply in your quest to stop Baby Bowser's plan from succeeding. If you're good enough, you can aim for higher scores by being picky about the fruit you eat. And who knows, you might even find the mysterious black and white Yoshis.

Super Thunder Blade™ (Sega Genesis, 1 player, rated E for Everyone - Mild Violence, 800 Wii Points): In this follow-up to Thunder Blade, you'll fly a new and improved attack helicopter in a series of attacks against guerilla armies that are bent on taking over the world. Although your aircraft is formidable, your enemies are vast and varied. You'll have to take on submarines, tanks, fighter planes and more. Your command of this state-of-the-art battle copter must be top notch, as you'll have to dodge oncoming fire and use your various weapons to eliminate all enemy targets so you can reach the guerilla base and end their nefarious plans once and for all. Put on your flight suit and step into the thrilling action of Super Thunder Blade.

World Class Baseball (TurboGrafx16, 1-2 players, rated E for Everyone, 600 Wii Points): Acclaimed for its steady game play, World Class Baseball is the definitive baseball game on the TurboGrafx16. Battle the computer in OPEN MODE or play a friend in VERSUS MODE. Customize your team in EDIT MODE or even watch a game between two computer opponents in WATCH MODE. World Class Baseball offers the complete baseball gaming experience. Of course there's also plenty of single-player action. The main feature is PENNANT MODE, where the player chooses a team from one of the world's leagues and strives to win their team's league. Beat league rivals and save your progress with passwords on your way to becoming league champions. After winning your league, get ready to the face the other league's champion in the heated series for the world championship.

bahgee 09-17-07 12:05 PM

Great idea for a seperate thread!

PixyJunket 09-17-07 12:12 PM

Sin & Punishment!
Sin & Punishment!
Sin & Punishment!

Hell, while we're at it, why not throw the N64 version of Bangai-O on there as well to coincide with the new DS sequel? There's already a translation for that, so they'd just have to move that work from the Dreamcast version to the N64 version.

chess 09-17-07 12:18 PM

Cool...and just when I was thinking about creating a VC's most wanted thread.

My most wanted:

Space Megaforce SNES
Shining Force 2 Genesis
Crystalis NES
Metal Gear NES

Michael Corvin 09-17-07 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by chess
Cool...and just when I was thinking about creating a VC's most wanted thread.

Hmmm.... of my most wanted, they already provided me with my top two in Kid Icarus and Actraiser. So off the top of my head:

Baseball Stars (NES) - favorite baseball game, ever
Kid Niki (NES) - had this and played it to death 20 years ago. Not sure if it holds up though.
DuckTales (NES) - brilliant game, but doubtful we'll see it
Super Tennis (SNES) - favorite tennis game
Super Star Wars Trilogy (SNES) - has anyone not played these? Brilliant.
Pod Racer (N64)

So how about some more feedback on Yoshi's Story. :D

Jeremy517 09-17-07 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Back in the day, I beat it the first time I ever played it. I didn't go for any of the maximum fruitage, though, which probably took a lot away from my experience.

chess 09-17-07 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

If you can get through this, you should download the game...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Ijs6jDqp3A"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Ijs6jDqp3A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Super happy tree... :yack:

RichC2 09-17-07 03:10 PM

Yoshi's Story is an okay game. It's heavy into collecting items, if thats what you're into, then it'll be good. I don't really like collecting stuff in games, in fact, it is my least favorite aspect of RPGs, Platformers (why I never got into Mario 64 or similar 64 platformers), and Adventure games. Always liked the graphics style though.

Gamespot Review: http://www.gamespot.com/n64/action/y...result;title;0

Groucho 09-17-07 04:53 PM

I'd rather they released Yoshi's Island. I might download Yoshi's Story for my young daughter though -- she's shown interest in Yoshi's Island DS but that game gets quite difficult.

CreatureX 09-17-07 05:29 PM

This was my "Top 10 Most Wanted" VC games, way back when the VC was announced as feature of the system.

1. Sin & Punishment (N64)
2. Super Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
3. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
4. Earthbound (SNES)
<s>5. Galaga '88 (TG-16)</s>

<s>6. Super Metroid (SNES)</s>
<s>7. Gunstar Heroes (Genesis)</s>
8. Beetle Adventure Racing (N64)
<s>9. Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis)</s>
10. StarTropics (NES)

Four down, six to go! :D

Michael Corvin 09-17-07 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'd rather they released Yoshi's Island. I might download Yoshi's Story for my young daughter though -- she's shown interest in Yoshi's Island DS but that game gets quite difficult.

I played through Yoshi's Island on the GBA a couple months back. I thought it was quite challenging. A lot harder than Super Mario 3 which I just finished, and Super Mario World which I played prior to YI.

lordwow 09-17-07 07:28 PM

My non-AAA title wishlist:

- Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES)
- Aerobiz or Aerobiz Supersonic (SNES)

argh923 09-17-07 11:54 PM

My wishlist:

Super Mario RPG (SNES)
Blastcorps (N64)
River City Ransom (NES)
Ducktales (NES)

tanman 09-18-07 12:54 AM

One that I would really want is Perfect Dark especially if they could improve the framerate.

I still really love playing this game but it is painful on the eyes due more to the slooow framerate rather then the blocky graphics.

anyone else with me?

Michael Corvin 09-18-07 06:43 AM

I was never a fan of Perfect Dark. It just didn't have the magic of Goldeneye. Doesn't matter, it's a Rare game and won't show up on the VC. Same with Blast Corps., which is one I'd love to see on XBLA with achievements.

jediwicz 09-18-07 07:56 AM

Some games not mentioned but high on my wishlist includes:

Chronotrigger
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario All Stars
Starfox (SNES)
Super Star Wars Trilogy (above all else)
Blades of Steel
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire 64 (still own cart, want ease of use)

pinata242 09-18-07 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by jediwicz
Super Mario Bros 3

I'd be surprised if this didn't come out right around the same time as Super Mario Galaxy.

Super Mario All Stars

Sadly, I can't imagine this happening when they can sell the set piece-meal for a much greater return. If it does come, it'll be when the sales of the individuals have stagnated and they think they'll "resell" it more than what they'll lose on 1-4.

Michael Corvin 09-18-07 08:16 AM

Some games not mentioned ...

Super Star Wars Trilogy (above all else)

post #6 :D

bahgee 09-18-07 08:17 AM

How about these Genesis classics:

Action Fighter
Outrun
Space Harrier I
Hang-On

and what, no love for classic WWF games, like Wrestlemania Arcade or games like NBA Jam?

Groucho 09-18-07 10:53 AM

I tried Yoshi's Story out a bit yesterday. I was impressed with the art direction, but playing it felt very sluggish. Not sure if this is how the game always was or if that's a symptom of the emulation.

Supermallet 09-18-07 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Sadly, I can't imagine this happening when they can sell the set piece-meal for a much greater return. If it does come, it'll be when the sales of the individuals have stagnated and they think they'll "resell" it more than what they'll lose on 1-4.

Considering they've already released standalone versions of several of the titles on All Stars (and I guess Japan already has gotten The Lost Levels), I don't think we'll ever see All Stars. In fact, seeing as how Nintendo has been able to sell us the content of those games multiple times now (NES, SNES, GBA, VC), I'm willing to bet they're mad they didn't do individual 16-bit remakes of each Mario title for the SNES, and 64-bit remakes for the N64, etc.

Edit: As for most wanted games, how about Super Scope 6 games with Wii remote functionality? That would be pretty damn sweet. Also, I recall a fun Tiny Toons platformer for the SNES that I would repurchase if they put it on the VC.

steebo777 09-19-07 07:52 AM

Blaster Master please.

PixyJunket 09-19-07 11:16 AM

Japan AND Europe will have Sin & Punishment next week. :mad:

DodgingCars 09-19-07 11:21 AM

I have interest in a lot of titles, because the only console I've owned on the VC list is a NES. So most games are either new to me or I have little experience with.

Still need to pick up Paper Mario. Just sucks that Nintendo makes you buy a minimum of $10 in points. I have 400 points now, but instead of spending $6 to get Paper Mario, I'd need to spend $10 and be left with 400 points again (which are worthless on their own).