Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Grand Theft Auto 3 Question for Experts

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-02, 12:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Theft Auto 3 Question for Experts

Ok, for those that have conquered the game and back. There's a part in Shoreside Vale where there's a road leading into a tunnel but the tunnel is blocked off. It's blocked off as if it was another part of the city. There doesnt seem to be anyway around it. Any guesses on how to get through it, and what is behind it?
Old 02-24-02, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

everythign i've read ... from websites to message boards, to editors of gaming magazines with 100% in the game, say that it can't be opened.

No one i've seen has ever claimed to have gotten past the road block..

However... I can explain why its there. The bank from the opening scene of the game is located about a mile behind the big dam area, .. you can see it on your map. I havn't gone back to check, but perhaps 8-ball in that opening video blows up the entrance to that tunnell. That closed off road was the only road that led to it. There was nothing else in that area except the bank.

I read somewhere that a guy was claiming to have flown over the area in the dodo, but you couldn't touch the land, you'd just fly right through and you'd die like you were in the water. But my guess is he's either full of crap, or he was playing an early beta version, or the legended "uncensored" version that has the unclipped dodo in it (just a rumor i'm hearing alot, nothing to back that up).

Not as exciting an answer as we'd all like But there you go.
Old 02-24-02, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No way through.....maybe the Xbox version will open it up for us!!!

What makes me mad is the observatory on Shoreside Vale.....it is on the map...I made it up the hill and there is no way to get up there...once you get your car up the base of the hill...the cliff is too steep to climb.
Old 02-24-02, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I wonder if it wasn't originally supposed to go up to the observatory, but was taken out due to time constraints.

For what it's worth, I've never been able to get up there or past the road block.
Old 02-24-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To comment on both of the last 2 posts the observatory can be landed on by the dodo but you just have to ckill yourself after, as far as the stadium goes that is true you can't land on it you will die. Now the the kid you are referring to has some good pics that makes me believe he can fly that dodo that well including screens of his stats that shows he flew the dodo for 49 hours. I have seen a pic of an unclipped dodo but it was flying it wasn't on the ground or anywhere were you could get it. There is also a pic of him flying through the backside of the tunnel and basicly getting stuck.
Old 02-24-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Spicollidriver1
To comment on both of the last 2 posts the observatory can be landed on by the dodo but you just have to ckill yourself after, as far as the stadium goes that is true you can't land on it you will die. Now the the kid you are referring to has some good pics that makes me believe he can fly that dodo that well including screens of his stats that shows he flew the dodo for 49 hours. I have seen a pic of an unclipped dodo but it was flying it wasn't on the ground or anywhere were you could get it. There is also a pic of him flying through the backside of the tunnel and basicly getting stuck.

I have had the dodo up on the hillside.....where do you go with the dodo in order to take off and land on the observatory?
Old 02-24-02, 03:44 PM

Okay, i havn't had much luck with the dodo .. i'm having too much fun with vigilante missions right now...

I'd love to see those pics you're talking about. All i saw were the claims.. no pics. Link please

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 02-24-02 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-24-02, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think there's anything there. There's some speculation that the expansion will open it up. Another possibility is that DMA had intended to put a fourth area into the game, and scrapped the idea, and just blocked the tunnel.

In any case, there's definitely nothing you need in there, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 02-24-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Spicollidriver1
The "unclipped" dodo hovers in the sky over Staunton Island, as I understand it. It actually is a mission item, and is triggered during either one of the plane drop missions or the S.A.M. mission. The clipped dodo was stripped down by customs agents, which is why it doesn't work properly. Players were never expected to be able to actually keep the dodo off the ground, which is why there's the "glitch" with the stunt jumps.
Old 02-24-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ScandalUMD
I don't think there's anything there. There's some speculation that the expansion will open it up. Another possibility is that DMA had intended to put a fourth area into the game, and scrapped the idea, and just blocked the tunnel.

In any case, there's definitely nothing you need in there, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

But I want too!!!! I hope and truly believe the expansion will take us through the tunnel and onward to the next area for more awesome gameplay!!!
Old 02-24-02, 04:31 PM

I can almost guarantee you the expansion wont' do that..

The exapnsion is going to be a seperate entity.... You'll be able to play it all by itself.. But its being called an expansion instead of a sequael , because the engine, animations, and graphics will be all the same...

I HIGHLY DOUBT that the road block is anything more than just what i said it was.. the road to the bank you knocked over.
Old 02-24-02, 07:44 PM

Man, doing the vigilante stuff in trenton is REALLY hard once you've completed the story missions... The Mafia guys in saint Mark's keep shotgunning my car, and the chinease gangs make it impossible too.
Old 02-24-02, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm having the same problem. Have you tried doing it in the tank? I just gave this a try but my tank flipped over after the first kill. I was shocked -- I didn't think it would be too easy to flip the tank over, but I got tossed and flipped by a car that blew up when I hit it.
Old 02-25-02, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Okay, i havn't had much luck with the dodo .. i'm having too much fun with vigilante missions right now...

I'd love to see those pics you're talking about. All i saw were the claims.. no pics. Link please
linkage to faq with pics
Old 02-25-02, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by sistasoulja

linkage to faq with pics
"referer link error"
Old 02-25-02, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY

"referer link error"
bah, damn gamefaqs ok go to www.gamefaqs.com go to the playstation 2 section, on the top ten list is gta3 then go to dodo flying faq. this guy explains the whole thing and has pics to boot.
here's one
Old 02-25-02, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by squidget

bah, damn gamefaqs ok go to www.gamefaqs.com go to the playstation 2 section, on the top ten list is gta3 then go to dodo flying faq. this guy explains the whole thing and has pics to boot.
here's one
Yeah i read the dodo faq... The dodo is the least of my worries right now.. i'm having to much fun in other areas.
Old 02-26-02, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, obviously people need some way of getting to liberty city, so I'm guessing the blocked road through that tunnel is it. But DMA probably didnt want to model the rest of the world as well, so they blocked that road so you cant leave the city

There IS an area outside of the map that you are SUPPOSED to access, but it's just used for the intro when you are robbing the bank.

The expansion is supposed to take place in Miami, and be out by the end of the year. Grand Theft Auto 4 is supposed to be out by the end of 2003 (so far away!!! )

Brian
Old 02-26-02, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by bdshort
Well, obviously people need some way of getting to liberty city, so I'm guessing the blocked road through that tunnel is it.
I thought that's what the airport was there for...