Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Jet Set Radio Future : Why all the hype?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Jet Set Radio Future : Why all the hype?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-02, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wasn't a big fan of the original, but taking out the "joystick sweeps" is a good thing, IMO. I didn't mind doing them, but the fact that you were forced to wait for the prompt to do the next one really irked me.
Old 02-12-02, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JaxComet
It just reminds me too much of the Skateboarding/Snowboarding type games which absolutely bore me to tears....If they never created another one of these I wouldn't lose any sleep....
I hated snowboarding games too...until SSX showed up. I don't ski or snowboard, but man that game rules!
Old 02-12-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally had a chance to borrow my friend's DC today. Playing JGR right now (well a little before supper, and then ASAP after my Japanese homework). This game rocks. If JSRF sticks to the same plan as this -- even better if the sweeps are taken out, it'll be a must-buy. Very, very cool. This too is the kind of game that oughta let you play your own OST, though I imagine the ingame one will also rock.

Pretty challenging though. I haven't been able to beat any of the 2nd level maps. Nearly got the night one beaten, but there were one or two spots left and I got knocked out. Is there a quick way to get to the top of the stairs in the waterfront/housing area lvl 2 section?

Tuan Jim
Old 02-13-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, turns out I accidentally erased my friends game (in which he was pretty far along). He's gonna be pretty upset unless I can fix things up. Are there any cheats to pass levels and/or skip ahead really quickly? I really need to take care of this or he'll be very pissed at me.

He said he was up to the Chapter 3 Negon Sho level (night one I think), and had gotten all the characters up to that point.

I've beaten the 1st level of the neighborhood/waterfront level, and the first 2 night levels so far. Gained Mew but not Garam.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-22-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man, this game is looking great, check out the two new trailers:

http://www.xbox.com/jetsetradiofuture/default.htm

Has anyone found any in-depth reviews from Japan or elsewhere yet? Just beat JGR on my friend's DC two nights ago (lousy scores, but I just wanted to do it). Can't wait till Tuesday.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-23-02, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
Has anyone found any in-depth reviews from Japan or elsewhere yet? Just beat JGR on my friend's DC two nights ago (lousy scores, but I just wanted to do it). Can't wait till Tuesday.
IGN has a review up (Insider only: 9.1 total) as does Gamespy (90%), EGM (7, 7, 9), Famitsu(8, 9, 7, 8: 32/40 Gold) and Game Informer (7/10). As for in-depthness, IGN (if you're an insider) and Gamespy are the only ones I have seen yet...I am waiting for my new EGM to arrive.
Old 02-23-02, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by AgtFox

IGN has a review up (Insider only: 9.1 total) as does Gamespy (90%), EGM (7, 7, 9), Famitsu(8, 9, 7, 8: 32/40 Gold) and Game Informer (7/10). As for in-depthness, IGN (if you're an insider) and Gamespy are the only ones I have seen yet...I am waiting for my new EGM to arrive.
Gamespy: http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/february02/jsrfxbox/

Games Domain: http://www.gamesdomain.com/xbox/revi...io_Future.html

seems to be about the only online ones right now that aren't subscriber only.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-23-02, 12:45 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

The IGN review is very in depth. It convinced me to buy it.
Old 02-25-02, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
My 14 year old son saw a tv commercial for this game and thought it looked boring and stupid.
Old 02-25-02, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would at least rent it Brian. I was not too high on the original either but it sounds like they changed enough things (cops aren't always after you, you no longer have to do manual graffiti, etc.) for me to like the game again. Cel animation is not necessarily for everyone, but this game looks much better than it's predecessor.
Old 02-25-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looking at some of the vids I looks as though you can actually beat down the enemies and spray them a little more -- pretty sweet. I saw the "love letter" trailer several times yesterday, but I'd like to see the "security guard call in" one as well. -- both are available via xbox.com's site.

Sounds from some reports as though Xbox has officially sold out in Japan in one or two days, with a whole lot more being shipped there ASAP. (read some reports at teamxbox.com).

Things are looking good.

Tuan Jim
Old 02-25-02, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by AgtFox
I would at least rent it Brian. I was not too high on the original either but it sounds like they changed enough things (cops aren't always after you, you no longer have to do manual graffiti, etc.) for me to like the game again. Cel animation is not necessarily for everyone, but this game looks much better than it's predecessor.
Actually I have zero interest in this game but I use im as a gauge. He usually thinks every movie and game advertisement he sees is "awesome", that is why I was suprised he thought it was stupid.
Old 02-25-02, 08:30 PM

Gamespot just posted their review. 8.7. (10 for Graphics).

Must have game tomorrow... kill all humans.
Old 03-05-02, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems the hype has died down since the release. Did anyone buy this game? Best Buy had a ton of copies when I was there last Saturday.....
Old 03-05-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It seems the hype has died down since the release. Did anyone buy this game? Best Buy had a ton of copies when I was there last Saturday.....
I rented it and am still deciding whether to buy it or not. It is an improvment over the original in many key areas but just as the first game it can get very frustrating. Here is my short take on the game: http://www.consolegold.com/shorttakes/jsrf/jsrf.shtml
Old 03-05-02, 12:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

I'm renting it and loving it. Don't have the cash to buy it. It's excellent, they improved it a lot.
Old 03-05-02, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

best game ever.

okay.. maybe not EVER..

but.. close..
Old 03-05-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess this is one of those games I just can't get into. Beautiful to look at, but I don't like it. I didn't like the first game either so I'm probably biased. I just can't get comfortable with the controls.

If this game is giving me trouble I had better stay away from Gun Valkrye.