Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ever just not click with a game?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-02, 03:57 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever just not click with a game?

Rented Pikmin, and I just don't click with this game. It's a neat game, I can see how some people would like it. The graphics are cute. I want to like it, I just don't click with it.

Does this happen to anyone else with a game that receives good reviews?
Old 01-12-02, 05:04 AM

Re: Ever just not click with a game?

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Does this happen to anyone else with a game that receives good reviews?
Yeah, there's been a number of so-called "great" games that I never really thought were that wonderful. Chrono Trigger, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, and Super Smash Bros. Melee to name a few.

I always try to read multiple reviews of a game before buying (espeically if it's a $50 game), but still there are no guarantees. That's why I usually rent games that I'm not sure about.
Old 01-12-02, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
More times than I can count. Thats why its so hard to help someone decide on games. Something you think is very good can end up sucking to the person you are suggesting it too and vice versa.

Zelda: Majora's Mask was a top rated game I thought was terrible. The time travel and having to go over the same things again and again ruined the game for me.

Metal Gear Solid was another game I never liked. The second was better, but the first one just could never draw me into the game. I never got a quarter of the way into before I quit.

There are many others, but by the same token I have liked several games that got either mediocre or bad reviews.

D2 - was a game that I actually liked playing. Not the greatest survivor horror game ever, but not the total piece of crap many people said it was.

Secret of Evermore - Square's US developed disaster was a game I actually liked. However, its considered their worst RPG by most.

We are all different and thankfully there are a ton of different games and genres out there.
Old 01-12-02, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I'm another person who wanted to like Pikmin, but just ended up annoyed by it.
Once i got to the area where the monsters can float around and blow air at your pikmin to make them fly all over the place I say 'screw this' and took it back to Video Update.

I must admit that i really don't like strategy games for the most part, but this is one of the few that i could stand...at least at first.

there's plenty of other games that just don't click with me. mostly rpg's, racing, sports, and strategy. I guess it just depends on what you like I suppose.

I could never get into final fantasy type games b/c i still to this day do not understand how you can be walking around on the level and suddenly out of no where this 60ft monster pops up.
just seems stupid to me, but to each his own.
Old 01-12-02, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All the time, just to name a few

Pikmin
MGS2
Gran Turismo 3

Supposed "hits", I just get bored with
Old 01-12-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the entire NBA Live series from EA. I don't know why. even back on the Genesis I hated it.

I much perfer the NBA2K series.
Old 01-12-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Crazy Taxi: I know a lot of people love this game, and all the reviews I read were very positive, but I just found it redendant and boring. After playing it three times, I put it on my "to trade or sell" list. I'm not disparaging anyone who likes this game; it just didn't do it for me.
Old 01-12-02, 11:02 AM

Mostly American type games don't click for me. Sports, used to be good on the olden golden days; first person shooters, only a few gems stand out for me since many seem to be more like a mod for an existing engine that isn't totally new, innvoating, and interesting; most RTS and strategy on the PC.

I like sims like The Sims, Rollercoster Tycoon, etc. but stuff like Gangsters, Ski Resort Tycoon, and Industry Giant aren't. Titles like Bloodwake, Fusion Frenzy, SSX Tricky, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, Oddworld, Cel Damage, Red Faction, etc. aren't even worth a rental let alone a purchase even at bargain bins. I tried them at store kiosks.

Acclaim/THQ has been terrible with their licenses stuff like Batman Vegenace stink. I love comic book heroes like Spiderman, Superman, and Batman, but Acclaim has always made subpar games with its licenses since the SNES and Genesis days and continues still today.

I'm totally uninterested in Fatal Frame now since the stupid localization changes has begun. See www.thegia.com. I'll be importing instead.

I guess this is why my domestic inventory is almost zero with the exception of Working Designs's premium collector's packages which are great games too and some high-qualtiy titles found at Best Buy and Circuit City at $9.99 before the stocks were depleted. Rest are imports.
Old 01-12-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Metal Gear Solid, Threads of Fate, Valkyrie Profile, the RE series, Age of Empires, and almost every RTS I've ever played except for Sacrifice and Pikmin.
Old 01-12-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Zodo

I could never get into final fantasy type games b/c i still to this day do not understand how you can be walking around on the level and suddenly out of no where this 60ft monster pops up.
just seems stupid to me, but to each his own.
I call that fall in fighting and I absolutely hate it! I don't know any other style that requires you to take turns doing battle either. I remember playing wild arms and getting so infuriated that I ended up smashing it. That told me then and there that I'd never buy another game like that even one with the reputation of Final Fantasy.
Old 01-12-02, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A lot of games require you to take turns doing battle. Final Fantasy and Civilization are probably 2 of the most famous and well-received series of all-time and both are turn-based. I actually prefer turn-based to real-time. To each his own though.
Old 01-12-02, 02:19 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I was really excited to get Rouge Leader II: Rogue Squadron for the GameCube... an I like the graphics and the franchise... but I just can't get into the game. It's not that its a little difficult for me, its just not "clicking" like GP said...

Now on the flip side... Super Monkey Ball was an instant click...
Old 01-13-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Believe it or not, "Halo". I bought it about a month ago and have only played it 3 or 4 times. I guess I'll finish it eventually.....
Old 01-13-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Devil May Cry. Everyone told me how kick ass this game was and how I was going to just love it and it would consume my life. I played it once, got frustrated with the camera and turned it off. Tried again, because I figured it deserved another shot... and I got past the first boss, and decided that it just wasn't my kind of game.

Sometime after I finish GTA3, I'll go back and play it.
Old 01-13-02, 02:12 PM

Wow! This list could go on forever but to just name a few...

Twisted Metal Series
Super Smash Bros (almost any Marios Bros game)
Pikmin
Gran Turismo 3 (then again almost any racing game)

I have to agree with that EA Basketball one too. Still waiting for a killer basketball game on the XBOX or PS2.
Old 01-13-02, 07:01 PM
Retired

Tomb Raider. I've hated these games from the start. The control is terrible, and the premise bored me. I can't see how anyone would like these games.

Any strategy game. I just hate the genre. Bores me to tears.

Lastly, most pc games. I just can't stand playing with a keyboard and mouse, and that's the only way to successfully play most decent PC games. Plus I hate playing on a 17" moniter instead of my 27" Wega, and I hate the yearly upgrades required to play the newest games in the best settings. I much prefer paying a couple hundred bucks playing my games on a console with a nice controller on my 27" Wega for 5 years per system.
Old 01-13-02, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Syphon Filter- it seemed too much of a copy of Metal Gear solid, right down to the radio conversations with a chinese women for help.

I don't like sports games, Baseball, basketball, and especially Football. The only sports games I ever liked were SSX and Wave Race. I never got into Tony Hawk Pro Skater either.

Halo- I know a lot of people like this one but it didn't seem to the greatest game ever like everyone was raving. From the reviews, I was expecting to be blown away but when I finally played it I just got bored of it when I played it at my friends house. It might also be because I don't typically like FPS games.

Any WWF or wrestling game, icky sweaty men in speedo's. There's probably more to it than that, but there's not enough for me to want to find out.

I agree with DVD Lamer about Fatal Frame, I hate when they Americanize games. Translating or dubbing is fine but why change the content of the game, its just stupid.
Old 01-13-02, 08:08 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gran Turismo 3. I just want a game where I can drive fast... I don't want a game where I have to be a driving expert to do it. Grand Theft Auto, Spy Hunter, and even 007: Agent Under Fire fulfilled that need.

Fire bad!
Old 01-14-02, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by Static Cling
Gran Turismo 3. I just want a game where I can drive fast... I don't want a game where I have to be a driving expert to do it. Grand Theft Auto, Spy Hunter, and even 007: Agent Under Fire fulfilled that need.
You should rent/buy Ridge Racer 5 & Burnout. They're both "pick up and play" driving games.
Old 01-14-02, 01:42 AM

Never got into the skateboarding games, though I do like Jet Grind Radio. Also don't really enjoy fighting games like DOA, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, Power Stone, etc.
Old 01-14-02, 08:04 AM

Resident Evil. Just don't get it. The PS control is makes the game unplayable, and I the N64 version (with Mario control) confirmed that I just don't like the gameplay at all. This is my all time most disliked game that everyone raves about.

Then there are the games that just didn't click. Tony Hawk, Metal Gear Solid, and Rouge Leader. Anyone want to trade for RL?

Hanson
Old 01-14-02, 12:18 PM
Retired

I thought of a couple more.

Jet Grind Radio. I so wanted to like this game. It looked so cool and the graphics are fantasitic, but I just couldn't get into it. I got it for $19.99 at wal-mart last spring and have probably played it a total of 5 hours. It just bores me to death. It's so repetitive just skating around and doing stupid control stick combos to paint grafitti.

All vehicular combat games, i.e. Twisted Metal. I just never got into these games.
Old 01-14-02, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Resident Evil 2 : Got the best reviews of any PS1 game ever. I bought the game and the stratagy guide (full price for both, ugh) I hated it from the start. People don't move like cars in real life, they shouldn't here. If I were running away from zombies, I'd be moving a hell of a lot faster than that guy. What a waste of money.

Let me come to the defense of MGS though. It's one of my favorite games ever. I just loved it and played nonstop for hours. I guess to each his own....
Old 01-14-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Devil May Cry
GTA3
Code Veronica
Final Fantasy X
SSX (and Tricky)