Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Arrow (S5E17) -- "Kapiushon" -- 3/22/17

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Arrow (S5E17) -- "Kapiushon" -- 3/22/17

What're they gonna do with the Black Siren replacement they have now, if Katie is returning? -_-
Old 03-29-17, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Pretty dark episode. But, I did like seeing the back story about how Oliver grew into his killing vigilante persona and got that tattoo. Prometheus finally broke him and got him to admit that he enjoyed killing. The one thing I don't like about these Russian backstory episodes are the awful accents. Dolph Lundgren's accent was terrible.

I don't get Eric F's constant berating of Arrow saying how depressing and miserable it is. Arrow has been one of the more darker and violent comic themed action serials on TV next to say Gotham since day 1. A lighter toned Arrow wouldn't make any sense. I appreciate that it's one of the edgier network shows.

There are so many more violent shows and movies out there. Logan was one of the darkest and extremely violent comic movies I've seen lately. Some people in the reviews thread complained that it was too depressing knowing full well that it was designed to be an edgier and darker story.

I know the remark from some will probably come up that real life is already hard and depressing enough. And TV shows or movies should be more fun and not too violent and miserable....yeah yeah.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-29-17 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-29-17, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That could be interesting...
There is nothing that has ever be interesting about that character.

I have enjoyed this season but I truly hope we are reaching the end of the flashbacks. I mentally check out pretty much every time they happen.
Old 03-29-17, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Pretty dark episode. But, I did like seeing the back story about how Oliver grew into his killing vigilante persona and got that tattoo. Prometheus finally broke him and got him to admit that he enjoyed killing. The one thing I don't like about these Russian backstory episodes are the awful accents. Dolph Lundgren's accent was terrible.

I don't get Eric F's constant berating of Arrow saying how depressing and miserable it is. Arrow has been one of the more darker and violent comic themed action serials on TV next to say Gotham since day 1. A lighter toned Arrow wouldn't make any sense. I appreciate that it's one of the edgier network shows.

There are so many more violent shows and movies out there. Logan was one of the darkest and extremely violent comic movies I've seen lately. Some people in the reviews thread complained that it was too depressing knowing full well that it was designed to be an edgier and darker story.

I know the remark from some will probably come up that real life is already hard and depressing enough. And TV shows or movies should be more fun and not too violent and miserable....yeah yeah.
Well, they should. I'm not asking for a lighter Arrow- I understand that the basis of the show is a self-exploration of Oliver's demons. But he is a mass-murderer and has (up to this point) faced no repercussions. In any other world he'd be public enemy #1. But this is a comic book world, so indiscriminate killing is acceptable.

Do the ends justify the means? I think I'll go and watch Unforgiven...
Old 03-29-17, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Really? Mass Murderer?

If anything, Oliver Queen is the comic book equivalent of Paul Kersey.

Hardly a Hitler, Idi Amin or Pol Pot.
Old 03-29-17, 01:17 PM
Banned

Really? Mass Murderer?

If anything, Oliver Queen is the comic book equivalent of Paul Kersey.

Hardly a Hitler, Idi Amin or Pol Pot.
Semantics. I'm sure Oliver has killed well over 100 people during the run of the show. Sociopath? Sure. Psychopath? Maybe. Does that qualify him a "mass murderer"? You tell me...
Old 03-29-17, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Semantics. I'm sure Oliver has killed well over 100 people during the run of the show. Sociopath? Sure. Psychopath? Maybe. Does that qualify him a "mass murderer"? You tell me...
If we count the numbers that the team murders on his behalf, 100 may be real low. But it's tough to say for sure because the never really make it clear what happens to the many that are shot, or otherwise taken out in lethal ways, survive or not.

But I do think to their credit they have cops say HEY! but then eventually coming around to the idea that they are on the same side. Envious that Team Arrow doesn't have to play by the rules.

I always think back to the line if True Lies when Arnold is asked if he killed people once his wife finds out he is a spy... "But they were all bad!" Pretty much all shows with "hero" characters play fast and loose with that. If they are not out right killing people, they are locking them up without a trial.
Old 03-29-17, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven

I have enjoyed this season but I truly hope we are reaching the end of the flashbacks. I mentally check out pretty much every time they happen.
I'm hoping they bookmark the first five seasons. Have this season finale end the way the first episode started, Ollie on the island shooting the arrow to light the signal fire. A clean ending to present events. Maybe a teaser like with Marvel movies. Start a new chapter next season.
Old 03-29-17, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I doubt the producers give up some sort of flashbacks for next season. By season six of any series most of the original staff have moved on and a show is on autopilot since everything follows the developed formula.

I don't watch most of the flashbacks anymore and don't believe I am missing much from the Arrow experience. These episodes flow far smoother if you chop out 90% of the flashbacks.
Old 03-29-17, 09:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I doubt the producers give up some sort of flashbacks for next season. By season six of any series most of the original staff have moved on and a show is on autopilot since everything follows the developed formula.

I don't watch most of the flashbacks anymore and don't believe I am missing much from the Arrow experience. These episodes flow far smoother if you chop out 90% of the flashbacks.
I hope you at least watched last week's flashback because that was the majority of the show. We learned that Oliver enjoys killing people. I thought we already knew that?
Old 03-30-17, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I normally skim through the flashbacks that look important for context.
Old 04-01-17, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

A certain former cast member is coming back to the show full-time in the Fall:

In other words, the producer in those leaked pics is freaking out that his identity will come out so they are making her a series regualar to ensure her continued silence...if you believe the gossip that has been ongoing since before the pics even leaked.