Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Partner (The Profit spinoff) series thread -- CNBC

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
The Partner (The Profit spinoff) series thread -- CNBC

Since launching "The Profit" in 2013, serial entrepreneur Marcus Lemonis has expanded his portfolio of businesses significantly, having invested in a number of companies on the series. Now, he's searching for a partner who can help him manage his rapidly expanding empire. To find that person, Marcus is sticking with the same format that has led to his business expansion: a reality show. Although thousands of hopefuls from across America applied for the position, only 10 people have been invited to Chicago to take part in the final interview process, which plays out over the course of five episodes of "The Partner." At stake for the contestant who ultimately emerges victorious is the aforementioned role with Lemonis' company, which includes a $500,000 contract and an equity stake in the enterprise. Lemonis says he is looking for someone with the same drive and passion as the entrepreneurs with whom he has partnered
I discovered The Profit about a year and a half to two years ago and I was enthralled with it. As somebody who went back to school and received a post-grad degree in organizational behavior, The Profit encapsulated what I am trying to do as an (although I am the opposite -- not an investor, I am that bad c-word: consultant).

I fell in love with the show. However the last season started to come off as staged and over-produced. Maybe the show always was that way, but it was not glaringly obvious like it was in episodes this past season.

When they announced the spinoff show "The Partner" I was excited. I had intended to submit an application for the show, but then I had some health issues and did not move forward with that.

So the show finally debuted last night. I recorded it and attempted to watch it this morning. I say attempted because ...

Somebody screwed up on a colossal level. The audio track was missing and the show's music played the entire time, like a "score only track" extra on a DVD. I left it playing the full hour while I was doing other things. The commercials were fine, but the entire audio was only music.

Wow. A show about finding a meticulous partner for a multi-millionaire business man who prides himself on being focused on the details ... and your show debuts with no audio track for an entire hour. Ouch.

Edit: I am not finding any reference to this sound issue online this morning. It can't be possible that this only happened to me ... Can it?

Last edited by Abob Teff; 03-08-17 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-08-17, 10:46 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Re: The Partner (The Profit spinoff) series thread -- CNBC

I love The Profit. It's about putting a failing business under a microscope and trying to fix the problems and make improvements. And I find that really interesting.

I'm not that excited about The Partner. It sounds like one of those reality competition shows, similar to The Apprentice. Despite that, I was going to give it a chance, but I forgot to record it last night. I'll have to catch a replay later this week. Or hopefully it'll be on Hulu.

I haven't heard about any audio problems. Maybe it was just your local cable affiliate?
Old 03-08-17, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

My audio was fine. If you're listening in 5.1 and your center speaker isn't working, you'll just hear music or whatever plays on the surrounds*. Of course, it could be an issue with your provider and how they received it

*On the other hand, I was watching "The Ultimate Beastmaster" Competition show on Netflix at a friend's house and it sounded odd, -big voices but no crowd noise even though it was shot with an audience. I checked the same show when I got home, and there was all kinds of cheering and background noise, and sound FX for different targets and such. Apparently, my friend had the center speaker and the rear speakers, but his left and right front speakers were clearly not working. Of course my friend doesn't realize this and just thinks that's the way shows sound.
Old 03-08-17, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is weird ... I don't have a surround system, just the TV speaker. While I currently do not have a home theater set-up (waiting for my son to move out of my basement), I worked in theaters for enough years to be pretty aware of sound issues resulting from technical problems.

As I mentioned, the commercials were normal. Then, when the show came back on, nothing but music.

I also don't know that it could have been how my cable provider sent the signal out ... The music did not come and go on cues (as it would during a show if you had audio channels missing), it played the entire time the show was on.

Strange ...

As for the show, yeah ... It looked like an Apprentice knockoff but I have enjoyed most of The Profit, so I'll give it a shot. I could care less about the people competing, I look to it as a learning experience in business and consulting.
Old 03-08-17, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I enjoy the Profit as well, so I decided to check this out. No problems with the broadcast for me (recorded the original airing)

Decent set of final candidates.

I hated the Apprentice, so I hope this is better. I remember trying to watch the Apprentice during college (in 2004), hoping I would learn something since I was a business major. What a joke that was.
Old 03-09-17, 11:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I really enjoyed the first episode, though I was surprised that he decided to cut 5 people already. Don't really care for Buffie, and I thought she should have gotten the boot, but I'm guessing she makes for good TV.

Impressive credentials for all of the contestants, makes you wonder why they'd leave their super successful lives to compete in this show.
Old 03-15-17, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Second episode was much better. I agree with the person who was kicked off.

Spoiler:
Chuck

Erin rightfully won the "self image" challenge. He was the only one who FOLLOWED THE RULES. Use the items from Target!

I'm surprised Marcus didn't call out Chuck about the use of his word "contest", when he was giving his plea of why he should stay. It's not a contest. It's a job interview.

And I like that this show doesn't show the candidates fraternizing. It's all business for the whole hour.

I would have dominated that self image challenge. Creativity is my best skill.
Old 03-16-17, 07:56 AM

This seems like Erin's game to lose, as he's the only one who stands out in my mind. Should be interesting to see how things play out over the next few weeks.
Old 03-16-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I never did get the first episode recorded (properly) so I am sitting out at the moment. Glad to hear the positive comments though -- with the level of "over-production" on the most recent Profit episodes I was concerned. I will have to see if my cable provider has it on demand. We have MSNBC available, but The Profit was not one of the shows offered.
Old 03-16-17, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
We have MSNBC available, but The Profit was not one of the shows offered.
It's on CNBC, not MSNBC.. So try that and see if it's available On Demand.
Old 03-25-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Third episode was good, and steady series so far. I like how Marcus gives business tips and lessons during the challenges, instead of just critiquing at the end.

The three episodes are repeating tonight (midnight, march 26)
Old 03-25-17, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Officer Cartman
It's on CNBC, not MSNBC.. So try that and see if it's available On Demand.
Yeah, that. It was never on there before, but I just looked and there are a bunch of 3-minute teasers and the first two episodes have been added. Additionally the full 4th season of The Profit is now on there. Previously I could get just about any other show - even new ones - but TP and TP were not there.

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Third episode was good, and steady series so far. I like how Marcus gives business tips and lessons during the challenges, instead of just critiquing at the end.

The three episodes are repeating tonight (midnight, march 26)
Thanks for the heads-up! 3am, 4am, and 5am though. Set my DVR. Hopefully I don't get a musical interlude the whole time!
Old 03-26-17, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Catching up ... on Episode 2 and I am floored that Juli's (the blonde) poster won the most votes!

My initial thoughts:

Juli is my leading candidate, but she needs to stop "trying" to show backbone and just do it!

Peilin seems fairly authentic, but I'm still not seeing how her skills match up. She was a corporate attorney and left to help her husband run an online business. OK. What else does she offer?

Chuck (the veteran) is about as bland and vanilla as you can get.

On the other hand, Buffie (Atlanta tax lady) and Erin (young and arrogant) come off as trying too hard to be characters rather than being 100% authentic.

Honestly, I'm not sure any of them are THE Partner.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 03-26-17 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-26-17, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On Episode 3 and ...

After the sports challenge ... Mr. Pouty-face ... I mean Erin ... went down the drain big time. Both during the challenge and in trying to "defend" himself.
Old 03-29-17, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

... and Buffie is gone. I was surprised she crumbled so quickly, yet I've known people like her. They use show and flash to cover up their own insecurities. Most of the time their insecurities aren't even realities, just self-perceptions. You could see the change in her physical appearance as her "shield" broke down.

I am still shocked Erin has made it this far. Unquestionably he is about to be cut loose.

Not sure who will win, Peilin or Juli. I'd be good either way.
Old 03-29-17, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree that Erin will get kicked off next.

Toss up between the other two candidates. To be fair, I would have probably froze if Marcus was staring me down while I read the P&L statement.

For me, I always need to prep when giving presentations at work (All Staff meetings in front of 70 people). Getting grilled with no prep on this show would freak me out haha