Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Crown (Netflix) -- Queen Elizabeth II series from Peter Morgan

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-17, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,870 Likes on 1,151 Posts
re: The Crown (Netflix) -- Queen Elizabeth II series from Peter Morgan

The idea of casting older actors as the series goes along is interesting. I guess it makes sense. Oh well, we'll see how it works out.
Old 11-08-17, 03:10 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

Cannot wait.
Old 12-09-17, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Just finished Season 1 and what a fabulous show. I sort of dismissed it when it first streamed as I thought it would be more like Dynasty or some trashy take on the Royals. But the show delves into each character and makes you see their side on whether you put yourself or the Monarchy first? I grew up in a family business and I side with the Monarchy first and each persons interests come second. Can’t wait to start season 2.

And the actress who plays Princess Margaret is hot!

Last edited by mcnabb; 12-09-17 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeeees Vanessa Kirby is very hot. I watched 2 eps last night. I think I'm going to try to stretch this out instead on binging.
Old 12-18-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm about 6 eps in and I'm loving the post episode historical portion. It glues the story to what happened in real life.
Spoiler:
Even knowing about King Edward's WWII issues...seeing the real photos...
Old 12-20-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts

Finished S2 off quickly. Another well done job. Really enjoyed it.
Old 12-20-17, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Last night we watched the episode with the guy who criticized her speech and the whole monarchy. Pretty interesting turn of events.

Spoiler:
When he turned around and she was in the room, that was sheer awesome-ness. And then slipping out again without being seen. Totally seems reasonable that the place would be full of secret passages.

How close to true is this sticking?
Old 12-20-17, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 239 Likes on 172 Posts

Finish watching it and enjoyed it. My thought
Spoiler:
the episode with Jackie Kennedy was real good. Was surprised to know Jackie said some cruel thing about the Queen, liked the actress playing Jackie. The Duke was a major dick on treating Charles and it no wonder Prince Charles sent his two sons to Eton. I also didn't know about Edward ties to Hitler and the Nazi. Good for the Queen to banish him from the country. Hope season 3 we see the Queen visit the U.S.
Old 12-20-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by milo bloom

How close to true is this sticking?
Which part?
Old 12-21-17, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,429 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Which part?
The whole series.
Old 12-21-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by milo bloom
The whole series.
There are articles that compare the series to real life. It "seems" it's somewhat accurate; but it's still a TV series so i'm sure there's stuff the writers pumped up. made up, or deleted. i.e. The racy portrait taken of Princess Margaret was said to not have happened that way If I remember right..

I'm into the Royals and British Stuff so I actually Google and Wiki shit while watching the show.

Good article here. It's one of many interesting articles on the show and real life.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-de...-real-history/
Old 12-21-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I know we will NEVER know what the Royals think of films and series like "The Queen" and "The Crown" but I would love to hear what QEII or other Royals thinks of stuff like this. I don't for one second doubt that they are watching some of these shows....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-21-17 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-03-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

I've never had any interest in the British Monarchy and the films that have followed it. This show however is great. It's made me interested, me Google things to try and understand who is who and how it works. I think the performances are really good.

Vanessa Kirby is indeed hot but Claire Foy is no slouch in her own right.

Off to track down The Queen now.
Old 01-04-18, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Timber
I've never had any interest in the British Monarchy and the films that have followed it. This show however is great. It's made me interested, me Google things to try and understand who is who and how it works. I think the performances are really good.

Vanessa Kirby is indeed hot but Claire Foy is no slouch in her own right.

Off to track down The Queen now.
The Queen is on Netflix
Old 01-04-18, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still catching up on The Crown (Season 1, Ep 4 atm) and it's really good.

The Queen is an excellent movie, and Helen Mirren rightfully deserved her Oscar. It's like The Crown in many ways and I believe they share the same writer.
Old 01-04-18, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
The Queen is on Netflix
Is it? I couldn't find it so I had to watch by other means.
Old 01-04-18, 07:31 PM

Received 4,678 Likes on 3,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
I'm still catching up on The Crown (Season 1, Ep 4 atm) and it's really good.

The Queen is an excellent movie, and Helen Mirren rightfully deserved her Oscar. It's like The Crown in many ways and I believe they share the same writer.
It is also connected to the Tony Blair films Peter Morgan wrote.
Old 01-05-18, 11:44 AM

Helena Bonham Carter is in negotiations to play Princess Margaret on the upcoming third season of The Crown, sources say. Netflix had no comment.

Carter would take over the role played in the first two seasons by Vanessa Kirby.

The second season premiered December 8 on Netflix. In it, Margaret married Antony Armstrong-Jones, the Earl of Snowdon (Matthew Goode) and the season ended with her pregnant with one of their children.

The Crown, created by Peter Morgan, tells the inside story of Queen Elizabeth II’s early reign as the fragile social order established after WWII breaks apart.

It was announced earlier that Olivia Colman would be replacing Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth in the upcoming third and fourth seasons, which have not yet been ordered but are expected. Morgan previously said he intended to replace key cast members in later seasons, to better portray the characters as they aged.
http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-crow...et-1202236329/
Old 01-05-18, 04:44 PM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

LOVE everything about this show right down to the dark creepy ominous opening that makes the crown and what it represents seem like a beautiful shiny monster!

I got addicted to 19th century British dramas watching Merchant/Ivory films and stuff like Remains of the Day and Downtown Abbey so watching 'The Crown' is like eating candy!

The production value and amount of detail given is so well done and the storylines are written so well.

I too get a kick out of the factual snippets some of the episodes provide recapping the details of what happened in the episode versus real life.

As the Brits say, Well Done!
Old 02-11-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Just finished Season 2 and it is as just as great as Season 1. My only worry is the new casting in future seasons of each character and will they resonate with the audience? This show is about as perfect casting as you can get and I don’t understand why they didn’t just age the actors with makeup? I know that could be alittle jarring, but a new cast could be even more jarring.

And I love that the show is a history lessen in post WW2 Europe as google is a great tool after each episode.
Old 03-20-18, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

‘The Crown’ Producers Apologize to Claire Foy, Matt Smith Over Gender Pay Scandal

They say they paid him more due to his "Dr. Who" role. it happens in the industry. But they do say they will change this in future seasons.
Old 03-20-18, 12:32 PM

There's nothing to apologize for. She was a nobody before this show. And he was a name. It's her agents fault. If anything, after she won acclaim for the first season, they should've tried to get her a bump for Season 2. Yes, she was the lead. But should Daisy Ridley have made the same amount of money as Carrie Fischer in TFA for example? No. The wage gap for the entertainment industry is much more than just male or female.

And the ridiculous people telling Matt Smith to donate his salary to the MeToo movement are out of their minds.
Old 03-20-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14
There's nothing to apologize for. She was a nobody before this show. And he was a name. It's her agents fault. If anything, after she won acclaim for the first season, they should've tried to get her a bump for Season 2.

And the ridiculous people telling Matt Smith to donate his salary to the MeToo movement are out of their minds.
I guess. I was editing while you posted this. At least they are working to change this.
Old 03-20-18, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Crown (Netflix) -- Queen Elizabeth II series from Peter Morgan

What are they hoping to change? Paying people based off of their name recognition? Of course it's going to cost more to get a Matt Smith than a Claire Foy based off of their work before this. Claire will make more for her next role based off of the recognition she got from The Crown. I'm sorry but that's just real life.
Old 03-20-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The Crown (Netflix) -- Queen Elizabeth II series from Peter Morgan

There is no way Claire Foy should have been paid the same as Matt Smith when the show began. I still have no idea who she is but I guess she should be paid more as the seasons go on.

Name recognition and past roles have far more to do with pay than any gender gap. From what I have seen the person with the bigger name gets paid a lot more than the person with a lesser name at the time of casting regardless of gender, actual acting talent, or size of the role.

Even though the specifics haven't been made public I have zero issue with Chris Pine most likely being paid more than Gal Gadot for the first WW movie just like I have zero issues with the fact that Amy Adams base pay was 3 times Henry Cavill's for Man of Steel which doesn't seem to get brought up much.

Go back to Superman the Movie and Marlon Brando made 3 million for basically an extended cameo while Chris Reeve made a minor amount in comparison despite being the lead. Nothing to do with gender but their name value means EVERYTHING.

Matt Smith shouldn't donate one cent to any movement. He earned his salary based on his name and prior work. Claire Foy at that point did not. Stuff like this muddies the water when true gender based wage gaps happen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.