Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Decline of the Trivia Game Show

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-01, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone else remember when Trivia Game Shows were difficult? I'm quite certain I didn't undergo surgery to increase my intelligence (in fact, I firmly believe I've gotten dumber over the years), so I must conclude that the questions have gotten insanely easy. I assume this is an attempt to grab ratings from people who like to feel smart by a game show and yelling out the answer, but I miss the glory days. If I want to watch something mindless and stupid, I'll watch Baywatch; I watch a trivia show to stimulate my mind and maybe learn something new.

Remember when Jeopardy! was difficult? Back before they instituted the random multiple clue technique. It used to be straightforward.

Category: US Presidents
Answer: This US President was assassinated in 1865.

Not too difficult, but at least trivia. Now it's become

Category: L Presidents
Answer: This US President, also a car and a type of children's toy logs, was assassinated in 1865, far from the Nebraska town of the same name.

????

It's gotten to where you can get everything right on Jeopardy! without actually knowing a damn thing.

As annoying as Regis may be, I can at least appreciate the Millionaire format where questions get progressively more difficult, and by the end, the questions require some knowledge. Still, I don't want to sit and watch 50 mins of boring just to get one or two difficult questions (multiple choice, no less).

But The Weakest Link? How easy can a game show get? I'm sure it's very difficult for the contestants (having been on many game shows, I know how the pressure can make you forget the simplest things), but can't they come up with more difficult questions than "Who is the current US President?" or "How many units are in a dozen?" Sure, I like the concept, but it's only enjoyable for one or two episodes. I can only tolerate stupid people acting smart and being made fun of in the same way for so long.

In this baren wasteland of decent trivia shows, the only ones I can think of worth watching are Win Ben Stein's Money and that sports one on Fox Sports Net (the name escapes me at the moment). Those shows still have a decent gimmick but also find time to ask difficult questions, a concept beyond the reach of the new brand of game show.

Anyone aware of any other decent trivia shows?

das
Old 05-01-01, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
In this baren wasteland of decent trivia shows, the only ones I can think of worth watching are Win Ben Stein's Money and that sports one on Fox Sports Net (the name escapes me at the moment). Those shows still have a decent gimmick but also find time to ask difficult questions, a concept beyond the reach of the new brand of game show.

Anyone aware of any other decent trivia shows?
I agree about Ben Stein's show. I consider myself to be pretty smart, yet I hardly ever get more than about 3 right in the Best of 10 round. Although the main game isn't as difficult. I still enjoy watching the show, though.

As for other decent trivia shows - I have seen a couple episodes of History IQ on the History Channel (hosted by Marc Summers, of Double Dare fame). That show is pretty difficult (to me at least, although I am, admittedly, not that strong in history). In the few episodes I have seen, I have only seen 1 person even come close to winning the bonus round.

It's on the History Channel at 6 pm(et), I believe, and there's also an online version of the game you can play at HistoryChannel.com all the time (including a live competition I believe when the show is on).
Old 05-01-01, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, thanks for the info. I'll check that show out. Strange, tho, because I usually watch Black Sheep Squadron (great show if you've never seen it) at 6pm EST on The History Channel. I could have my times mixed up in my head, tho. I'll track down this show when I get home and try to catch it.

das
Old 05-01-01, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Hey, thanks for the info. I'll check that show out. Strange, tho, because I usually watch Black Sheep Squadron (great show if you've never seen it) at 6pm EST on The History Channel.
No problem. I just checked HistoryChannel.com and History IQ is on from 6-6:30 and Black Sheep Squadron is on from 7-8.
Old 05-01-01, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
This is the weakest thread. Goodbye.
Old 05-01-01, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watch The Price is Right. Trivia is pretty dull.
Old 03-08-21, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
Re: Decline of the Trivia Game Show

I'm gonna give this thread a big bump from the past.

On the new COVID era version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, they let the contestants bring "the smartest person they know" to openly consult on all the questions up to $32K.

If anyone else is watching this, is it as infuriating to you as it is to me to watch the contestant in the hot seat engage in a "what do you think" discussion about every single fucking question, no matter how easy?
Old 03-08-21, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku

On the new COVID era version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, they let the contestants bring "the smartest person they know" to openly consult on all the questions up to $32K.

If anyone else is watching this, is it as infuriating to you as it is to me to watch the contestant in the hot seat engage in a "what do you think" discussion about every single fucking question, no matter how easy?
That was what I hated about the celebrity Who Wants to be a Millionaire. They could have all the celebrities help you with the answers by coughing and then saying the letter or the answer up to the $32,000 question. Just start them out at $32K if you're going to do that.
Old 03-08-21, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

You made me think das Monkey had returned.
The following 2 users liked this post by devilshalo:
Red Dog (03-08-21), wendersfan (03-10-21)
Old 03-08-21, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

This is my first visit to this thread, which began 12 years before I was a participant here. But I certainly have noticed this type of thing:

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Remember when Jeopardy! was difficult? Back before they instituted the random multiple clue technique. It used to be straightforward.

Category: US Presidents
Answer: This US President was assassinated in 1865.

Not too difficult, but at least trivia. Now it's become

Category: L Presidents
Answer: This US President, also a car and a type of children's toy logs, was assassinated in 1865, far from the Nebraska town of the same name.

????

It's gotten to where you can get everything right on Jeopardy! without actually knowing a damn thing.

I remember once, the category was Foreign Films. The clue should have been (IMO) "This is the title character of Satyajit Ray's famous film trilogy"

Instead, it was "This title character of Satyajit Ray's famous film trilogy is also the name of the proprietor of the Kwik-E-Mart"

Kinda dumbed it down a little, didn't they?

Last edited by Paff; 03-08-21 at 03:03 PM. Reason: moved an apostrophe
Old 03-08-21, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I sort of like The Chase on ABC (with the three Jeopardy guys)

However, I hate the rule where once the timer ends, the host stops reading the question. I think the host should have to finish the question and the contestant is allowed to answer within 3 seconds.
Old 03-08-21, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

It is annoying to watch that from home. That being said, I imagine, even without the studio audience, it has to be at least a little nerve wracking to be in the "hot seat". My assumption is that they just want to make sure that they aren't going to miss something stupid for as long as they can. I believe that there is a minimum donation that the show guarantees to the charities as well, so those first few questions are a bit moot, but no one wants to appear to be a moron on national TV.
Old 03-08-21, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I sort of like The Chase on ABC (with the three Jeopardy guys)

However, I hate the rule where once the timer ends, the host stops reading the question. I think the host should have to finish the question and the contestant is allowed to answer within 3 seconds.
It's still fun but I liked the Beast on the old version much more. He was savage to the contestants.
The following users liked this post:
MLBFan24 (03-08-21)
Old 03-08-21, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
This is my first visit to this thread, which began 12 years before I was a participant here. But I certainly have noticed this type of thing:

I remember once, the category was Foreign Films. The clue should have been (IMO) "This is the title character of Satyajit Ray's famous film trilogy"

Instead, it was "This title character of Satyajit Ray's famous film trilogy is also the name of the proprietor of the Kwik-E-Mart"

Kinda dumbed it down a little, didn't they?
I'd venture that the average extremely smart non-film-buff wouldn't have the faintest idea about the answer without the extra allusion.
Old 03-08-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

If the questions on Jeopardy were too easy, we wouldn't see contestants missing them. Most of the contestants on the show are very good, yet they still miss some.

Of course, this is a forum consisting mostly of film buffs, so I agree with Norm's statement. I'm sure history forums scoff at the relative ease of the history questions.

I would also speculate that the answers with additional information tend to be on the lower value answers, as they're supposed to be easier.

While I tend to do well on Jeopardy!, at home, there are still plenty of categories that come up, with which I struggle.

As to trivia shows, in general, I am far too impatient for any of them, except Jeopardy!. I want questions/answers, questions/answers (okay, this is Jeopardy!, so answers/questions, answers/questions) in rapid succession.

I don't like shows in which you might get a dozen questions in a whole episode because of all the dramatic BS, that accompanies them. Ooooh... feel the tension. FTS.
Old 03-08-21, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
It's still fun but I liked the Beast on the old version much more. He was savage to the contestants.
And he had not only an amazing depth of knowledge, but he could recall in instantly.

I'd love to see him go up against Ken Jennings and James Holzhauer.
Old 03-08-21, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
It is annoying to watch that from home. That being said, I imagine, even without the studio audience, it has to be at least a little nerve wracking to be in the "hot seat". My assumption is that they just want to make sure that they aren't going to miss something stupid for as long as they can. I believe that there is a minimum donation that the show guarantees to the charities as well, so those first few questions are a bit moot, but no one wants to appear to be a moron on national TV.
I agree with your thoughts on why they do it, but if you can't answer who the first US President was without double-checking with your friend, you shouldn't be on the fucking show. They should at least make them answer the first 5 questions on their own.

Celebs are guaranteed 32K for their charity.
Old 03-08-21, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And he had not only an amazing depth of knowledge, but he could recall in instantly.

I'd love to see him go up against Ken Jennings and James Holzhauer.
Are you referring to Mark Labett? If so you’re in luck, Holzhauer was a contestant years back and kicked his ass.
Old 03-08-21, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I'd venture that the average extremely smart non-film-buff wouldn't have the faintest idea about the answer without the extra allusion.
Well, I don't remember the dollar amount of the Apu question, but isn't it supposed to be difficult?? It's like if I'm playing from home and there's an Art History category, I'm pretty much screwed if the answer isn't also the name of a Ninja Turtle. But that's the way Jeopardy is supposed to be.
Old 03-08-21, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I don't remember the dollar amount of the Apu question, but isn't it supposed to be difficult?? It's like if I'm playing from home and there's an Art History category, I'm pretty much screwed if the answer isn't also the name of a Ninja Turtle. But that's the way Jeopardy is supposed to be.
Well, the producers of the show have to balance out that playing the game is supposed to present difficulty even for very smart contestants, but they also want the typical viewer to enjoy watching the show and playing along.
Old 03-08-21, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Are you referring to Mark Labett? If so you’re in luck, Holzhauer was a contestant years back and kicked his ass.
No shit? I have to find that.
Old 03-08-21, 05:20 PM
Premium Member

Received 698 Likes on 466 Posts

And from the internets...
In the Final Chase round (as team leader with two other contestants also participating), Holzhauer's team defeated Labbett by a score of 26 to 9, earning him a $58,333.33 share of the $175,000 team prize pool. By answering 19 questions correctly for his team, he set a Final Chase record, which was also never surpassed.
Old 03-08-21, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the producers of the show have to balance out that playing the game is supposed to present difficulty even for very smart contestants, but they also want the typical viewer to enjoy watching the show and playing along.
OK, point taken. But don't you think that it's a little too easy when a question about foreign film could be answered by a casual viewer of The Simpsons, with absolutely no knowledge of film history required??
Old 03-08-21, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, point taken. But don't you think that it's a little too easy when a question about foreign film could be answered by a casual viewer of The Simpsons, with absolutely no knowledge of film history required??
I'm not saying it is right or good, I'm just saying that is why they would do something like that. I'm certain it is a balancing act for them to keep their reputation as the game show for smarties, but also present a game that regular dumbass Americans are willing to watch.
Old 03-08-21, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

It's too esoteric a question for Jeopardy. No one but a devoted cineaste would know the answer. Not only do the films remain relatively obscure, but they aren't always associated as being part of a trilogy, The Apu Trilogy, but rather as freestanding works, Pather Panchali, Aparajito, and The World of Apu.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.