Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Decline of the Trivia Game Show

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Decline of the Trivia Game Show

Old 05-01-01, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else remember when Trivia Game Shows were difficult? I'm quite certain I didn't undergo surgery to increase my intelligence (in fact, I firmly believe I've gotten dumber over the years), so I must conclude that the questions have gotten insanely easy. I assume this is an attempt to grab ratings from people who like to feel smart by a game show and yelling out the answer, but I miss the glory days. If I want to watch something mindless and stupid, I'll watch Baywatch; I watch a trivia show to stimulate my mind and maybe learn something new.

Remember when Jeopardy! was difficult? Back before they instituted the random multiple clue technique. It used to be straightforward.

Category: US Presidents
Answer: This US President was assassinated in 1865.

Not too difficult, but at least trivia. Now it's become

Category: L Presidents
Answer: This US President, also a car and a type of children's toy logs, was assassinated in 1865, far from the Nebraska town of the same name.

????

It's gotten to where you can get everything right on Jeopardy! without actually knowing a damn thing.

As annoying as Regis may be, I can at least appreciate the Millionaire format where questions get progressively more difficult, and by the end, the questions require some knowledge. Still, I don't want to sit and watch 50 mins of boring just to get one or two difficult questions (multiple choice, no less).

But The Weakest Link? How easy can a game show get? I'm sure it's very difficult for the contestants (having been on many game shows, I know how the pressure can make you forget the simplest things), but can't they come up with more difficult questions than "Who is the current US President?" or "How many units are in a dozen?" Sure, I like the concept, but it's only enjoyable for one or two episodes. I can only tolerate stupid people acting smart and being made fun of in the same way for so long.

In this baren wasteland of decent trivia shows, the only ones I can think of worth watching are Win Ben Stein's Money and that sports one on Fox Sports Net (the name escapes me at the moment). Those shows still have a decent gimmick but also find time to ask difficult questions, a concept beyond the reach of the new brand of game show.

Anyone aware of any other decent trivia shows?

das
Old 05-01-01, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
In this baren wasteland of decent trivia shows, the only ones I can think of worth watching are Win Ben Stein's Money and that sports one on Fox Sports Net (the name escapes me at the moment). Those shows still have a decent gimmick but also find time to ask difficult questions, a concept beyond the reach of the new brand of game show.

Anyone aware of any other decent trivia shows?
I agree about Ben Stein's show. I consider myself to be pretty smart, yet I hardly ever get more than about 3 right in the Best of 10 round. Although the main game isn't as difficult. I still enjoy watching the show, though.

As for other decent trivia shows - I have seen a couple episodes of History IQ on the History Channel (hosted by Marc Summers, of Double Dare fame). That show is pretty difficult (to me at least, although I am, admittedly, not that strong in history). In the few episodes I have seen, I have only seen 1 person even come close to winning the bonus round.

It's on the History Channel at 6 pm(et), I believe, and there's also an online version of the game you can play at HistoryChannel.com all the time (including a live competition I believe when the show is on).
Old 05-01-01, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, thanks for the info. I'll check that show out. Strange, tho, because I usually watch Black Sheep Squadron (great show if you've never seen it) at 6pm EST on The History Channel. I could have my times mixed up in my head, tho. I'll track down this show when I get home and try to catch it.

das
Old 05-01-01, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Hey, thanks for the info. I'll check that show out. Strange, tho, because I usually watch Black Sheep Squadron (great show if you've never seen it) at 6pm EST on The History Channel.
No problem. I just checked HistoryChannel.com and History IQ is on from 6-6:30 and Black Sheep Squadron is on from 7-8.
Old 05-01-01, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the weakest thread. Goodbye.
Old 05-01-01, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watch The Price is Right. Trivia is pretty dull.