Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix) -- Season 1 Thread -- 9/30/16

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-16, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Marvel's Luke Cage (Netflix) -- Season 1 Thread -- 9/30/16

10 episodes in now. I'm still not particularly loving the series, but its certainly decent. It's still been pretty predictable, and I really don't care for some of the characters. Spoilers for anyone 10 episodes in -

Spoiler:
While the death of Cottonmouth was a huge surprise, and really elevated his cousin Mariah, I've absolutely hated Diamondback. His arc so far has been extremely predictable as a half brother to Luke, and he feels so one dimensional and boring. The guy Shades is in the same boat - doesn't help that Shades seems to have all this power and clout but hasn't done shit, and isn't physically intimidating or interesting at all either.

Cottonmouth was a much more interesting adversary.
Old 10-01-16, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And... finished. Disappointed by the ending.

Spoiler:
Diamondback just looked silly in that suit for the fight at the end... it was cool to have a big street fight at the end, but I don't think it was choreographed very well at all. Just a really cheesy looking fight overall.

While it was nice that not everything was all tied up nice and pretty at the end, I was hoping things would be a little happier then they were for most of the main characters and some more finality. I'm ok with Mariah getting away, but all the cop stuff trying to bring people in grated on me by the end.

Overall, well below Daredevil and Jessica Jones in quality for me. I liked the music and use of Harlem, just really wish the villains and plot were handled better. Outside of a couple nice action sequences in the first half of the season, the rest was somewhat of a letdown as well. Just not as many "wow" moments that I've gotten from the other Netflix shows.
Old 10-02-16, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Found this little blurb on my fb, on the side. Apparently Cage's release kind of had Netflix crash for a bit for Saturday. That'd make sense. I don't have that schedule but that does makes sense for people to binge it out on the weekend.
Old 10-02-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Sounds right. It was down for me yesterday.

I'm on episode 11.

I like how they brought the blacksploitation sensibilities to a Marvel show. Love the music.

This is probably the least superhero and sci-fi infused Marvel show yet. Its pace is challenging at times. It's still top-tier viewing.
Old 10-02-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Just a couple episodes in, and I'm not really enjoying it. And hearing that it doesn't get any better is making me not want to waste 10 more hours on this. Forget the comic character, he feels like a completely different character from the one introduced in Jessica Jones show.
Old 10-02-16, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We're nearly done with it and generally really like it. I could nitpick a few things. Scripting mostly. Like when they are describing Claire's mom's catering van. Talking about it being green. I don't think anyone would miss it being called A Train Catering since it's written all over it. But my biggest peeve is there should be some kind of cable green cgi effect when Luke Cage is carrying someone. Just looks like he is struggling too much. Should look easier.

But don't get me wrong. I really like it. It's fun as hell.
Old 10-02-16, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm really liking the show; especially the flashbacks. Yes, it is kind of slow but I am enjoying it. I'm on the 11th episode now.
Old 10-02-16, 07:08 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Thought I posted earlier but must have been on my phone and forget. Anyway, finished this yesterday. I thought the show picked up midway through the season. Diamondback was pretty one-dimensional. I liked Shades as the evil advisor type villain. I thought Misty's storylines were pretty weak. Her whole Will Graham "seeing" felt tacked on, and silly when she's otherwise a pretty bad cop (aren't all the cops terrible at their jobs in most shows not cops-centered?). The other characters were fine for the most part, the weakest still coming from the police force. I'm a sucker for these Marvel Netflix shows, so I'm sure I'll watch season 2 the weekend it comes out.
Old 10-02-16, 07:40 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The cops in DD seemed to be fine. Well.. the non bad guy ones.
Old 10-03-16, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like that its so Hip-Hop, loved the scene with the Wu-Tang track. Im only on episode 4, but i like it so far and im not really into all the Marvel stuff
Old 10-03-16, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone catch the reference to who will eventually will be Misty's close friend?
Old 10-03-16, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Anyone catch the reference to who will eventually will be Misty's close friend?
You mean the classes that the Night Nurse will be taking?
Old 10-03-16, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I watched ep 1, I liked it. Wont binge right away, but will work through these over the next three months during high volume tv season.
Old 10-03-16, 08:45 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm up to episode 6, still feel like it's going through the motions, not terrible but pretty damm boring. There better be some better quality villians coming up

I was a huge Powerman and Iron Fist comic fan, so far not impressed
Old 10-03-16, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

95% fresh out of 38 reviews:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/luke_cage/s01/
Old 10-03-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I throughly enjoyed the show. Looking at the negative feedback on here, makes me wonder if it was geared toward a certain urban audience (especially with all the New York references and use of hip hop). If anything, some of you it was worse than Daredevil or Jessica Jones. That makes me really excited to check out those two shows.
Old 10-03-16, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by popcorn
I throughly enjoyed the show. Looking at the negative feedback on here, makes me wonder if it was geared toward a certain urban audience (especially with all the New York references and use of hip hop). If anything, some of you it was worse than Daredevil or Jessica Jones. That makes me really excited to check out those two shows.
Yeah my wife binged most of this this weekend and she is loving it. I've spent all weekend reading RAVING reviews and lots love for this series from Black folks on Social Media.

I come to Dvdtalk today and the negatives reviews have kinda thrown me. I'm not in any way saying the negative reviews are not legit, but there is definitely something interesting going with this.
Old 10-03-16, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked ep one a lot. It's not slam bang action, but there are a lot of Pro Actors working on this show and they are bringing a lot of depth, and I appreciated the slowish burn.

I liked Season one of Daredevil, but for some reason, have not finished S2, I just got sick of him getting beat on or vice a versa. I'll get back to it eventually.

JenJones was solid, but I got tired of the villain, even though I like D Tenant, I though it got a bit much.

Looking forward to what they do with the defenders mash up. Hopefully I would have finished all of these series by then.
Old 10-03-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

That has nothing to do with it. My issue is that it's dramatically and narratively inert. Feels aimless.
Old 10-03-16, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Yeah Luke Cage is too black for DVD Talk like Empire and Power

For the record, the showrunner and head writer for this series is black and several members of his writing staff. I have no problems giving a show a tough urban feel to it. Sometimes it just doesn't resonate with everyone. Power IMO is one of the best dark Urban dramas and noone here watches it.

Haven't started this series yet. Trying to get caught up on a few other things, including Jessica Jones.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-03-16 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-03-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I enjoyed it. I thought it had a quicker pace than Daredevil. I liked the urban vibe, and the music in the show really added to the experience.

It sometimes got a little ham-fisted with the black power stuff, but I can understand what they were going for. Some of it was cheesy, but I thought the show was pretty well acted.

The actor playing Luke really has a great screen presence. Very charismatic.

The action wasn't as fun as Daredevil, and I MUCH preferred
Spoiler:
Cottonmouth over Striker
villain wise, but we'll see where that goes.
Old 10-03-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Looking at the negative feedback on here, makes me wonder if it was geared toward a certain urban audience (especially with all the New York references and use of hip hop).
I thought those aspects of the show were the best part of it - the use of Harlem, race relations, and the music. It's everything else that kind of felt like a let down.
Old 10-03-16, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
That has nothing to do with it. My issue is that it's dramatically and narratively inert. Feels aimless.
That's why I was just wondering.

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah Luke Cage is too black for DVD Talk like Empire and Power

For the record, the showrunner and head writer for this series is black and several members of his writing staff. I have no problems giving a show a tough urban feel to it. Sometimes it just doesn't resonate with everyone. Power IMO is one of the best dark Urban dramas and nowhere here watches it.
Empire is just cheesy. I've heard good things about Power. I have the first episode to watch. I'll go from there.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I thought those aspects of the show were the best part of it - the use of Harlem, race relations, and the music.
I agree!
Old 10-03-16, 07:21 PM

crazy, they even had Dapper Dan in this!
Old 10-03-16, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looking at the negative feedback on here, makes me wonder if it was geared toward
I think it's more that the show is not really packed with much super hero like action. I mean it is, with in the range of what Luke Cage has as his superpowers but it's not as dynamic fight wise as say the Dare Devil seasons.

It's kind of a modern spin on a blaxploitation film. I really like it being it's something a little different.

but I can see why others might find it too slow or whatever. It's more or less get shot, don't care, punch a bunch of people and repeat. Yet I'm not sure what people really expected being the entire point of telling the story of the lesser know sort of marvel heroes is they are not saving the entire world. They are focused on local stuff and local issues.

Maybe the show needed a few more high level bad guys or something? Luke does spend a lot of eps pimp slapping around random henchmen.

randomness: Nice to see the actor who played Domingo playing the role of a crime boss. Seen him in a lot of roles over the years and most of them have been kind of a henchman. So it felt like he had finally grabbed some power. Good casting.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.