TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S2E02) -- "Cobbler" -- 2/22/16

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S2E02) -- "Cobbler" -- 2/22/16

Finally, my fetish has hit the mainstream!
Old 02-24-16, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The entire squat cobbler description was freaking great. I liked seeing little moments like Jimmy say good bye to all the girls at the salon. I actually didn't care for the Mike stuff as much here though, i'm the opposite where i'm more interested in seeing what happens to Jimmy.
Old 02-24-16, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This reminds me of a show that had a lady sitting on cakes.
Old 02-24-16, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
The whole pie fetish thing reminded me of "United States of Tara" and Brie Larson's character host cam shows where she'd sit on cakes.
I knew I had seen that on some show, but I just couldn't place it. Thank you!
Old 02-24-16, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Let's start with the big question: do the squat cobbler videos exist?
Proksch: It's something I know people will want to see, and Vince [Gilligan] and [executive producer Peter Gould] have hinted on the podcast that you may somehow, some way, at some point, get to see them -- if they do indeed exist. I will say this, though: if they do exist, they'll be some of the most disturbing things you will ever see.
Old 02-24-16, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
just because he was never charged with a crime, does't mean he didn't commit a crime. in my jurisdiction, creating fake evidence to show a crime wasn't committed would most likely fall under hindering prosecution statutes. i'm no lawyer, but i've dealt with cases similar to that where they dealt with destruction/hiding of evidence, and i would assume it would be similar in this situation.
Seems to me he tampered with evidence related to an investigation, which is a crime.

Interesting that Kim had no problem with his story up to that point. Wouldn't that have fallen under making false statements?
Old 02-25-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although, not realistic that buddy would simply keep valuable baseball cards unprotected in a box like that. Aaron and Mantle cards would be in a screwed-down holder. I gave better protection to my much crappier cards.
I never collected baseball cards, but had the same reaction. It even took me out of the episode for a couple of minutes. And then again later, when the same guy was going over all the care needed for the Hummer. Especially given his mentality with the vehicle, there's no way he wouldn't have taken much more care with his cards.
Old 02-25-16, 10:13 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Pies in the face, but pies on the ass?
Old 02-26-16, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else get a huge craving for pie at the end?
No, but I'm willing to watch Rhea Seehorn squat cobbler videos.
Old 02-26-16, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck really is one of the most subtle, fully realized, and loathsome characters on television. He's not evil in some big, grandiose way. He's just a horrible, awful brother, but in ways so many of us have seen in real life.
Old 02-26-16, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I'm surprised that youtube hasn't been flooded with squat cobbler videos.
Old 02-26-16, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by malichai
Chuck really is one of the most subtle, fully realized, and loathsome characters on television. He's not evil in some big, grandiose way. He's just a horrible, awful brother, but in ways so many of us have seen in real life.
Yeah, even his "electromagnetic hypersensitivity" feels like a form of narcissism, where he's just being a controlling asshole.

And he obviously has resentment issues with his brother; he's disappointed in Jimmy, but at the same time opposes any attempt he makes to better himself. I wonder if there's something that actually happened in their past (parental issues?) that led to this, or if Chuck is just an asshole.
Old 02-26-16, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Since the baseball card guy was never actually charged with a crime, was it really manufacturing "evidence" to make the video? Seemed like it was just to avoid suspicion, so while it was a sleazy tactic, it was not like he was admitting something fake into a trial.
I just found the whole thing to be absurd. Why would the cops pursue this guy over a secret hiding space in his house? And why didn't he just tell the cops thats where he kept his Mickey Mantles?
Old 02-26-16, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Oscar nominated actress (and probable winner) right here:

https://coub.com/view/1akmi
Old 02-26-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I took the baseball card thing to mean that they weren't financially important to him but more emotional. He never has plans on selling them just keeping them because they were his dad's. At least that's how I took the whole poor storage thing.
Old 02-26-16, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Oscar nominated actress (and probable winner) right here:

https://coub.com/view/1akmi
funny

she was great in room
Old 02-26-16, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
I took the baseball card thing to mean that they weren't financially important to him but more emotional. He never has plans on selling them just keeping them because they were his dad's. At least that's how I took the whole poor storage thing.
agreed, it never took me out of the ep...
Old 02-26-16, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
I just found the whole thing to be absurd. Why would the cops pursue this guy over a secret hiding space in his house? And why didn't he just tell the cops thats where he kept his Mickey Mantles?
Yeah I dunno. I guess maybe they found it suspicious because the other cards he had were all seemingly in places where someone would think to look. The fact that they found the hiding place and his demeanor along with the fact that the house was pretty turned over and nothing else was taken probably seemed suspicious.
Old 02-26-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But they wouldn't have the right to call you in and question you.

Maybe I'm wrong and LE members could shed some light. I'd be like fuck you, charge me with something if you want me to come in.
Old 02-26-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Maybe I'm wrong and LE members could shed some light. I'd be like fuck you, charge me with something if you want me to come in.
That would be your right. They were taking advantage of him by pretending to care about his baseball cards. He was too stupid to understand that and that's why Mike got Jimmy involved.
Old 02-26-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pryce wasn't forced to speak with the police. There was no arrest warrant or subpoena, so any involvement with the police was going to be completely voluntary. Mike told him to ignore the phone calls. He did that. But ignoring those phone calls made the cops who were already suspicious of Pryce even more suspicious. So if he just kept ignoring them (or told them "fuck you, charge me with something if you want me to come in"), the cops weren't going to say "oh well" and lose interest. They'd look deeper and if they looked deeper, they might find Mike. Mike doesn't want that.

Mike brought in Saul to shed some light as to why Pryce was being evasive. If you were involved in Squat Cobbler fetish videos, you might withhold that information from the police. Mike and Saul hoped that by making it look like Pryce was doing something extremely embarrassing, that would serve as a reasonable explanation as to why he was being evasive.
Old 02-26-16, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

They were fairly certain he is a drug dealer or involved in some sort of criminal activity. He has the gaudy vehicle and when his house was ransacked, the one thing that didn't look like it was touched (his sofa) was covering up a hiding place. If he had his most valuable cards hidden, he would have let the cops know that at the very beginning. He wasn't smart enough to think of a good reason to have a hiding place so his first instinct was to hide the hiding place.
Old 02-26-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Neil M.
They were fairly certain he is a drug dealer or involved in some sort of criminal activity. He has the gaudy vehicle and when his house was ransacked, the one thing that didn't look like it was touched (his sofa) was covering up a hiding place. If he had his most valuable cards hidden, he would have let the cops know that at the very beginning. He wasn't smart enough to think of a good reason to have a hiding place so his first instinct was to hide the hiding place.
He also willingly told them he worked in IT for a pharmaceuticals company. Not that anybody who works in IT for a pharmaceuticals company is going to have "drug dealer" suspicion placed upon them. But it's just another piece of the puzzle.
Old 02-26-16, 01:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The car made them suspicious or at least take notice. TV and computer were left behind but the place was completely ransacked. Doesn't take a detective to guess the thieves were looking for something specific. Then they saw the couch had been moved back into place afterwards. So obviously the thieves took something specific from back there and the guy didn't want them to know. If it was just more baseball cards back there he wouldn't have tried to hide the hiding spot from them.
Old 02-27-16, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've enjoyed the return of BCS-S2. One thing that has me a bit confused is the timeline of events. S2 has had Jimmy working at the HHM law firm which his brother is a partner of and at Ed Begley's firm (Davis ?) which I believe Jimmy was offered that job at the end of S1 and bailed out on at the end of that season in the last scene, with a revisit to that time at the beginning of S2. Since he seemingly didn't take the Begley Jr. law firm job, when was/is he supposed to be working there? It appears that he's working at both firms simultaneously, which doesn't make sense. So I'm not sure or not whether they're jumping around timelines?

Last edited by Jack Straw; 02-29-16 at 06:21 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.