Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Re: A new Star Trek TV series??

Then I say screw it and give us a new B5 TV series.
Old 10-12-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Why do some want a series featuring Riker? I've always found him to be one of the more boring characters in Star Trek?

If you're going to do a traditional space ship series, then how about an alien captain. They've done black, female, r-tard (Archer)...lets get something new.
To me a Riker series could make sense because it would be following members of the crew of The Next Generation which is one of the more popular Trek series and could probably draw old fans in plus some casuals. To me it would seem to have a better chance at making it then a brand new series would. Also I think Riker can be interesting it's just that when he was second in command to Picard he seems less so. The big problem I see with a Titan show is getting the cast members to return because you'd at least need Frakes and Sirtis for sure.
Old 10-12-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The strike against a Riker series is that though they're not huge stars Frakes and Sirtis will cost more than a no-name cast would. Do you need characters to draw an audience for Trek? If you do, are these the type of characters that would do it?

That in particular is why I think the American Horror Story/Fargo type season long anthology is the way to go here. The shorter duration would allow for the same type of casting you're seeing there where you get decent names for cheap because they don't have to commit 4 to 7 years of their lives to doing a little TV.
Old 10-12-13, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

How's Troi looking now? What is she now? 60? I can't imagine she can still fit into those tight body suits.

I could do w/o a ship's counselor on Trek (particularly one married to the captain), thank you.
Old 10-12-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know, Netflix has all the Trek right now, right? I wonder if perhaps they could strike a deal for this.

If you can't tell, I am really hopeful that any new Trek will have the short season instead of the long one...
Old 10-12-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
The strike against a Riker series is that though they're not huge stars Frakes and Sirtis will cost more than a no-name cast would. Do you need characters to draw an audience for Trek? If you do, are these the type of characters that would do it?
They would be more than some no name actors for hire but I can't imagine they would be too much. None of them aside from Stewart and Spiner are that big of names outside of Star Trek. I think they'd have a relatively good shot with those two and hell if LeVar Burton wants on I'd be cool with him as first officer or something like someone mentioned. Fill out the rest of the cast with some younger actors and a few older members who don't have history with the franchise. I could see it working fine. I think a new series would have a better shot at making it with some veterans personally. At least to start and maybe if the show got popular enough introduce new characters and eventually maybe a spinoff or a continuation.

I also agree that shorter seasons would be the way to go. Make seasons between twelve and fifteen episodes or so and make each season have more of a serialized feel rather than random episodes.
Old 10-12-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Set the show entirely in the evil alt universe. Plenty of fucking, cussing, drinking and general mayhem and bloodshed.
Old 10-12-13, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
Set the show entirely in the evil alt universe. Plenty of fucking, cussing, drinking and general mayhem and bloodshed.
That's not what the Abrams universe is all about? I just figured it took a few movies for the goatees to grow in...
Old 10-12-13, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
They would be more than some no name actors for hire but I can't imagine they would be too much. None of them aside from Stewart and Spiner are that big of names outside of Star Trek. I think they'd have a relatively good shot with those two and hell if LeVar Burton wants on I'd be cool with him as first officer or something like someone mentioned. Fill out the rest of the cast with some younger actors and a few older members who don't have history with the franchise. I could see it working fine. I think a new series would have a better shot at making it with some veterans personally. At least to start and maybe if the show got popular enough introduce new characters and eventually maybe a spinoff or a continuation.
Exacly...they pretty much have nowhere to go career wise. Plus Frakes was pushing a Riker as Captain series before the movies and Levar Burton is a huge Trek fan so hed likely come on board for scale.

If Troi wanted to play hardball they could just say they divorced. Ditto for Stewart and Spiner for cameos...just dont use them.

Im sure Michael Dorn and Gates McFadden would be into cameos at a reasonable salery anyways.
Old 10-12-13, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

They could do it like Firefly. A badass captain does something to get himself and his officers courtmartialed. They get their own ship and have adventures. Use their starfeet training and experience to get out of tight spots.
Old 10-12-13, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wz42
Exacly...they pretty much have nowhere to go career wise. Plus Frakes was pushing a Riker as Captain series before the movies and Levar Burton is a huge Trek fan so hed likely come on board for scale.

If Troi wanted to play hardball they could just say they divorced. Ditto for Stewart and Spiner for cameos...just dont use them.

Im sure Michael Dorn and Gates McFadden would be into cameos at a reasonable salery anyways.
Seriously. LeVar as a 1st officer now? At his age, he'd be a captain or admiral at this point. Outside of Wesley, those were probably the 3 lamest characters from TNG.

Move on. Bring them in for single episodes/cameos if need be.
Old 10-12-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seriously. LeVar as a 1st officer now? Outside of Wesley, those were probably the 3 lamest characters from TNG.

Move on.
Wow really? Geordi is one of my all time favorite Trek characters. How exactly is he lame?
Old 10-12-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mike86
Wow really? Geordi is one of my all time favorite Trek characters. How exactly is he lame?
I was sick of his love life stories.
Old 10-12-13, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was sick of his love life stories.
I honestly barely remember that aspect of his character.
Old 10-12-13, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
They could do it like Firefly. A badass captain does something to get himself and his officers courtmartialed. They get their own ship and have adventures. Use their starfeet training and experience to get out of tight spots.
So...a Maqis series basically?
Old 10-12-13, 04:53 PM

Seriously. LeVar as a 1st officer now? At his age, he'd be a captain or admiral at this point. Outside of Wesley, those were probably the 3 lamest characters from TNG.
Although oldwr looking than he was Picard could have been in his late 50s. Or he could have left Starfleet to write and came back when Riker asked him to be his second.

As far as LaForges romances...in all fairness all the romance stories on TNG sucked. Conaidering its a guy franchise Im not even sure why they bother with thwm.
Old 10-12-13, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by TGM
new ship, new crew, space exploration, at the tail end of TNG era, so that you still might get a Captain Riker or Admiral Picard cameo.
Please no more TNG. I actually want to see some phasers being shot and some Red Shirts dying. Go back to The Original Trek Universe
Old 10-12-13, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wz42

As far as LaForges romances...in all fairness all the romance stories on TNG sucked. Conaidering its a guy franchise Im not even sure why they bother with thwm.
True. They were horrible. Riker's best TNG (pre-movie) romance was in a holo-suite.
Old 10-12-13, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by BKenn01
Please no more TNG. I actually want to see some phasers being shot and some Red Shirts dying.
If you want phasers and death, watch DS9.
Old 10-12-13, 05:35 PM

True. They were horrible. Riker's best TNG (pre-movie) romance was in a holo-suite.
Are you referring to Minuet? If so I certainly agree there.
Old 10-12-13, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Finish up the theatrical trilogy and bring Kirk, Spock, and McCoy back to television where they belong.

And no more next gen garbage.
Old 10-12-13, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
Finish up the theatrical trilogy and bring Kirk, Spock, and McCoy back to television where they belong.

Unless you're going to recast, there is no way they can afford a TV series with the cast and aesthetic of the two most recent films.
Old 10-12-13, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason

I'd take TNG over Abram's Trek any day personally. The first film was fine but Into Darkness was very blah. That and there's no way that would work on television considering the budget would likely be nowhere near what it is for the films.
Old 10-12-13, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me ST has been about looking toward the future. So talking about another show in the TNG era after 3 of them seems silly to me. While a Riker led Titan show sounds cool, I think they would need to go past that era. The Next Next Generation if you will. Plus you can dodge all the EU media they've been pumping out for a while now.
Old 10-12-13, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I think what those of you who detest the Abrams ST detest is Abrams himself. That's one reason why though I'm resigned to it being set in the same universe as his movies, I want to move us a bit forward in time. The things he's doing in the films can't be done in a TV series, anyway. That would just in essence free the writers from the established canon and allow them freedom to take the show in an interesting direction.

To put it another way, while I'd love to see the Cardassian/Bajoran conflict as an example, doing it in a way that strictly complies with the established old universe canon would be intensely frustrating to make happen. That's why the new universe exists.
No, I dislike AbramsTrek because of Kurtzman and Orci. This announcement makes me squirm.

Also, unless I'm not understanding this correctly, CBS would have to strike a licensing deal with Paramount to set a Trek series in the reboot universe. Since space shows are expensive enough already, I can't see CBS wanting to financially handicap the series that way.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.