TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S6E03) -- "Thank You" -- 10/25/15

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-15, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,075 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S6E03) -- "Thank You" -- 10/25/15

Originally Posted by buckeyes8604
This season has been great so far, but if they bring Glenn back from that I'll be disappointed. Not that I want him to die, but because it would be cheap. There was nothing there to hint he would survive, my wife and I both thought he was dead after that scene.
The only shot they show of his "death" is him being "torn apart" right after they made a point of showing that he fell on the ground with Michael's body on top of him.

I don't know how you could watch that and NOT figure out what they were doing.
Old 10-28-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Umm... one of the reason a spear was so coveted was the cost to produce and the ease of use by regular Joes. It was a fodder weapon for peons. There were a lot of Qiang/Spear/Polearm variations, so you could conceivable find a good style that works on zombies... but realistically the standar army sidearms of daggers and axes probably would be more effective for killing. Maybe a mix of people pushing away with holding/pinning spears and others doing the killing with axes would work.

Personally, I'd go with this hacking & stabbing mix:

Old 10-28-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So if you stab a walker with a spear in their body, they will simply keep moving towards you. That's why I don't like them.
Old 10-28-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Umm... one of the reason a spear was so coveted was the cost to produce and the ease of use by regular Joes. It was a fodder weapon for peons. There were a lot of Qiang/Spear/Polearm variations, so you could conceivable find a good style that works on zombies... but realistically the standar army sidearms of daggers and axes probably would be more effective for killing. Maybe a mix of people pushing away with holding/pinning spears and others doing the killing with axes would work.

Personally, I'd go with this hacking & stabbing mix:

In my test-cutting group, we referred to the dadao as "The Denogginizer."

That is a brutal weapon.
Old 10-28-15, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
So if you stab a walker with a spear in their body, they will simply keep moving towards you. That's why I don't like them.
Yeah, that's another reason guns are a poor weapon against zombies. Without a decent head shot, there's no stopping power. When it comes to self-defense, you are trained to aim for the body mass. That won't do shit against a zombie. With head shots, you're aiming at a small mass on a moving target.

Also drives me nuts when they stab the zombies in the head. You're getting too damned close and run the risk of getting bitten on the hand or scratched.

A spear isn't a bad choice, but it might not be effective, and you still have to pull it out of the head, which is another move that could eat up time in a situation where time is critical.

The sword beats just about everything, as it works quickly, accurately, provides a safe distance, and won't run out of ammo.
Old 10-28-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 389 Likes on 314 Posts

Michone has the right idea... a machete (or two) is clearly the choice of the zombie apocalypse, IMO.
Old 10-28-15, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 754 Likes on 550 Posts

I'd go with the Spartan sword and shield, myself.
Old 10-28-15, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shazam
Boar spears are designed to prevent a charging animal from moving down the spear shaft towards the hunter. Of course, if the walker is rotted and squishy enough no crossbar is going to stop them.

Arming a team depends a lot on what their mission is. I think a mix of spearmen and "defenders" with shields & hammers would be good for clearing an area, but for a resupply run you don't want weapons that get in the way. Pistols and one-handed choppers (like a kukri, dao, or kopis) for the "workers" and longarms for the overwatch seem like a good combo.
Old 10-28-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I'll go with anything that keeps me from getting too close while delivering the killing blow. Using a hunting knife is insane, especially when they are wearing basically no protective clothing.
Old 10-28-15, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Preterite
Boar spears are designed to prevent a charging animal from moving down the spear shaft towards the hunter. Of course, if the walker is rotted and squishy enough no crossbar is going to stop them.

Arming a team depends a lot on what their mission is. I think a mix of spearmen and "defenders" with shields & hammers would be good for clearing an area, but for a resupply run you don't want weapons that get in the way. Pistols and one-handed choppers (like a kukri, dao, or kopis) for the "workers" and longarms for the overwatch seem like a good combo.
Boar spear is basically a halberd.
Old 10-28-15, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral
I never understood Morgan's weapon. It's essentially a hard stick. While he can keep his distance, how is he able to do damage to a walkers brain with just one swipe of the head?
Are you questioning the power of a black man's stick?

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
While I don't claim any great personal skill, I have trained Chinese martial arts at a level where I'm not going to get in an angry argument about them on an internet discussion thread about zombies.
You are well trained in the art of webfu!

Originally Posted by Coral
I'd have multiple weapons and would be wearing protection.
That is good and all, but I don't know how wearing a condom is going to help.
Old 10-28-15, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not just use a really long flyswatter? It would do just as much damage as the weapons posted above on those mushy zombie heads.
Old 10-28-15, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A zombie apocalypse would be an opportunity for martial artists and weapon nuts to try out some of the clunkier and/or wackier members of their arsenal.

"Today I'm packing a meteor hammer and an urumi."
"Well, I'm going with a three-section staff and a boomerang!"
Old 10-28-15, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 389 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
Why not just use a really long flyswatter? It would do just as much damage as the weapons posted above on those mushy zombie heads.
As mushy as the zombie head is, how are they able to bite with such force?

On a serious note, I think the living use such Minimal weaponry and protection because deep down they crave the fight and part of them wants their own life to be over.
Old 10-28-15, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A zombie apocalypse would be an opportunity for martial artists and weapon nuts to try out some of the clunkier and/or wackier members of their arsenal.

"Today I'm packing a meteor hammer and an urumi."
"Well, I'm going with a three-section staff and a boomerang!"

Famous last words: "Look everyone, I'm going to prove that the Flying Guillotine really works."
Old 10-28-15, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

The sword beats just about everything, as it works quickly, accurately, provides a safe distance, and won't run out of ammo.
I have wondered from the start why more people are not using sword like weapons. Makes the most sense.
Old 10-28-15, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Keep in mind that the weapons humans have devised are to combat humans or animals, not a mindless advancing horde of zombies. You need to adapt your tactics accordingly.

I think an effective strategy involves having a defensive line and an offensive line behind them. The defensive line would wear heavy armor and be armed with T-shaped poles. The T on the end would curve slightly away from the defender so you could corral zombies. It would probably have a vertical handle in the middle and at the end, so you could hold it with two hands and brace against the crush of zombies pushing toward you. The offensive line is armed with spears, and they spear the corralled zombies in the head. You would need probably a total of 10 trained people to be minimally effective against a large group of zombies, but I think as long as everyone kept calm and didn't get too tired they would do well.

With any dystopian story like this you have strength in numbers. You need to get a large number of highly-trained warriors to hunt and combat zombies, and a group of farmers with basic survival training to support them.
Old 10-28-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 875 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Are you questioning the power of a black man's stick?
Originally Posted by Abob Teff
That is good and all, but I don't know how wearing a condom is going to help.
We're a little preoccupied with something, aren't we?
Old 10-28-15, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Spartan armor would be a solid choice as well.

Spoiler:

Old 10-29-15, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

episode question: I thought Rick cut his hand when the folding knife he used to stab a zombie in the head folded onto his fingers, did it really show him being cut by the knife that was sticking in the shoulder of the walker?
Old 10-29-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
I have wondered from the start why more people are not using sword like weapons. Makes the most sense.
Because most of the swords people own that they purchased in the mall would be worthless after a few solid hits. Most knives are fairly study in comparison.
Old 10-29-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Famous last words: "Look everyone, I'm going to prove that the Flying Guillotine really works."
We so need a Walking Dead/Into the Badlands crossover now.

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
The defensive line would wear heavy armor and be armed with T-shaped poles. The T on the end would curve slightly away from the defender so you could corral zombies.
Chinese Tiger Fork:

Japanese "sleeve-catchers":

Old 10-29-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 875 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
episode question: I thought Rick cut his hand when the folding knife he used to stab a zombie in the head folded onto his fingers, did it really show him being cut by the knife that was sticking in the shoulder of the walker?
Yep. The knife he used to stab the walker (with his right hand) in the head just broke off when he pulled it out. The top of his left hand got cut from the bottom of the knife that was sticking out of the next walker when he was trying to push it back. Logically, Rick should have Zombie AIDS now.

Now I have to believe they had that scene for a reason. I doubt they'd kill off Rick (although I wouldn't have a problem with it) - so I wonder if it'll be infected and they'll wind up cutting off his left hand to avoid it from spreading (ala Hershel). He'll could be TWDs version of Ash (Evil Dead) - just without the chainsaw.
Old 10-29-15, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chinese Tiger Fork:

[snip]

Japanese "sleeve-catchers":

[snip]
Yeah, so like that except wider on the end, to corral a few at a time around the upper chest.
Old 10-29-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The WWZ novel had the "lobo".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.