Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S6E03) -- "Thank You" -- 10/25/15

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S6E03) -- "Thank You" -- 10/25/15

I still want to know what he had to do on his own in the pet store when he wanders off by himself, opens his pack, takes out Herschel's watch, then cuts to a different scene. I'm sure that will play into it somehow.
Old 10-27-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
The most shocking thing about this episode is how many people actually fell for it and believe Glenn is really dead.
There is a difference between thinking he's dead and thinking it is going to be really stupid if he isn't dead. Almost everyone thinks that he could still be alive.
Old 10-27-15, 05:23 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 403 Likes on 252 Posts

why they haven't fashioned some sort of armor when they go out on "missions" is beyond me. magazines and duct tape for christ's sake
Old 10-27-15, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TGM
why they haven't fashioned some sort of armor when they go out on "missions" is beyond me. magazines and duct tape for christ's sake
Or at least slime up a little with walker guts for camouflage.
Old 10-27-15, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I mean, Glenn had that riot armor for such a long time, you would figure he would always keep it on after all. Shit, I would. Even in that Atlanta heat.
Old 10-27-15, 10:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

there was mention on The Talking Dead of the mixing of the zombie blood with human blood - that they glossed over but is known to folk who read the comic - what? explain it to me I'm curious to know...
Old 10-27-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
im just gonna leave this here

She need to free those puppies in the show!
Old 10-27-15, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 875 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I always wondered that. Plenty of opportunity to throw something together to protect their arms, legs and even their necks. Don't even have to use magazines, as I'm sure they came across better alternatives in the places they've been to. Even more dumb is that we've seen some characters use some sort of protection in a past episode or two - you figure everyone would get the hint by now.

And is Rick still wearing cowboy boots? I don't care how used to them you are - they have less traction than running shoes and boots and have to be less comfortable after long periods of walking. I know he's a southern boy, but in the ZA function trumps style.
Old 10-28-15, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
there was mention on The Talking Dead of the mixing of the zombie blood with human blood - that they glossed over but is known to folk who read the comic - what? explain it to me I'm curious to know...
In the comics,
Spoiler:
Nicholas dies by being cut by an infected machete. He dies from infection, as if he had been bitten. (The character has a wife and son and is more complex than his TV counterpart.)

However, that's not the issue hinted at on Talking Dead. In the comics, The Governor cuts off Rick's hand. Rick seemingly will lose his hand to become like his comic book counterpart.

Note that the TV show is nowhere near as brutal as the comic books.
If you're a fan, you really should read the comics.
Old 10-28-15, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 256 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral

And is Rick still wearing cowboy boots? I don't care how used to them you are - they have less traction than running shoes and boots and have to be less comfortable after long periods of walking. I know he's a southern boy, but in the ZA function trumps style.
They are the same pair of boots too. Lincoln has worn them in every episode. In one of the interviews with him they show the boots and how beat up and worn out they are.
Old 10-28-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I know you have to suspend your disbelief and it's just a show, but since you're going there....

If you get too close to them and get bitten, then you're a goner. Guns and ammo aren't being made anymore and ammo is valuable. Hmm...is there any bizarre, obscure weapon in human history, which is cheap and easily made, which would allow you to accurately and powerfully stab someone from a safe distance? Umm..how about...A FRIGGIN' SPEAR!!??

You wouldn't have much need for guns, knives, baseball bats or crossbows. The spear was the most powerful weapon of the ancient world. EVERYONE would have spears, and everyone would train constantly. Long spears, short spears, and they would use them in formations, like the Greek phalanxes. That's my biggest gripe about the show from a logistical perspective---humans have fought wars and won wars for centuries against HUMANS who were smart, fast and who used all kinds of weapons, armor and strategies. While extremely scary and creepy, Zombies really wouldn't be much of a foe for humans in the larger military picture.

All right, enough of my nerdy thread-and-show-crapping.
Old 10-28-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spears suck, actually. You need halberds. Also you need to aim for the head, which is somewhat problematic.

Also you need shields to do a proper phalanx, and lots of troops - the front row gets switched out as they tire out. Also zombies never rest, so you need to do a phalanx, well, forever.

Also zombies beget more zombies. So unlike in conventional warfare where an effective offensive causes the enemy to retreat, effectively killing zombies just attracts more zombies to the mayhem.
Old 10-28-15, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shazam
Spears suck, actually. You need halberds. Also you need to aim for the head, which is somewhat problematic.

Also you need shields to do a proper phalanx, and lots of troops - the front row gets switched out as they tire out. Also zombies never rest, so you need to do a phalanx, well, forever.
Chinese martial arts consider the spear the king of all weapons, and the success of the Greek phalanx over centuries speaks for itself. Spears do not suck. And the reason the Greek phalanxes had shields is because the opponents had spears. You wouldn't have to do the phalanx forever, because the zombies would all be dead rather quickly.
Old 10-28-15, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no idea where you get the idea that the spear was the most coveted Chinese weapon. First off the effectiveness of weapons is at minimum split into long range and short range. So no weapon was ever considered "best of all".

Phalanxes have shields so that you can effectively rotate troops with minimum risk.

You'd be zombie fodder, man.
Old 10-28-15, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zuffy
She need to free those puppies in the show!
im glad we are added it to each page this week
Old 10-28-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no idea where you get the idea that the spear was the most coveted Chinese weapon. First off the effectiveness of weapons is at minimum split into long range and short range. So no weapon was ever considered "best of all".

Phalanxes have shields so that you can effectively rotate troops with minimum risk.

You'd be zombie fodder, man.
Okay then, you keep using your knife and crossbow, and we'll see who kills more zombies without getting bitten.
Old 10-28-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A halberd is a knife and crossbow?

I see only one of us actually took martial arts.
Old 10-28-15, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that spears would be useful... or really anything that can puncture, stab, slice, etc without being too close. That's why I think Michonne has the best weapon (not counting guns because of ammo requirement and the noise it generates). She can keep her distance and still do damage. If I were with them, I'd be looking to see if I could score one... or turn something into a spear.

I never understood Morgan's weapon. It's essentially a hard stick. While he can keep his distance, how is he able to do damage to a walkers brain with just one swipe of the head?

Originally Posted by rw2516
They are the same pair of boots too. Lincoln has worn them in every episode. In one of the interviews with him they show the boots and how beat up and worn out they are.
Even more ridiculous.

I get that some suspension of disbelief is needed with these shows, but it seems like you need to suspend it too much and too often for this show. Ignoring all the stupid things the characters do, the big problem is the stuff they DON'T do to protect themselves and make things easier for themselves.
I don't care how strong the walls of Alexandria was - I'd still rather be at the hospital from last season... or anywhere in one of those downtown buildings. Strong structures that can't be penetrated by walkers and there's a huge height advantage that distances them from you.
Old 10-28-15, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A halberd is a knife and crossbow?

I see only one of us actually took martial arts.
While I don't claim any great personal skill, I have trained Chinese martial arts at a level where I'm not going to get in an angry argument about them on an internet discussion thread about zombies.

I can just say that I've trained jian and dao with two high level teachers, and both of them specifically said qiang would be their first choice for a weapon.
Old 10-28-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Against zombies??? Like that's the question you asked?

And once again, a halberd is not a dao.
Old 10-28-15, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
I agree that spears would be useful... or really anything that can puncture, stab, slice, etc without being too close. That's why I think Michonne has the best weapon (not counting guns because of ammo requirement and the noise it generates). She can keep her distance and still do damage. If I were with them, I'd be looking to see if I could score one... or turn something into a spear.
Michonne should also be carrying a short sword, just for situations like in the pet store.
Old 10-28-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
While I don't claim any great personal skill, I have trained Chinese martial arts at a level where I'm not going to get in an angry argument about them on an internet discussion thread about zombies.

I can just say that I've trained jian and dao with two high level teachers, and both of them specifically said qiang would be their first choice for a weapon.
And exactly how many survivors in this post-apocalyptic world do you think are trained to use spears effectively?

Knife, gun, crossbow? Anyone can use those with minimal training.

Also I doubt the effectiveness against more than a few zombies. Once a zombie or two has breached your spear radius, you would be fucked.
Old 10-28-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that's why the halberd is better suited. It requires very little training, and if you miss the head the perpenndicular blade keeps the zombie at bay.

I think I know what's confusing Ky-Fi, he's thinking of a ji and I'm referring to a ge.
Old 10-28-15, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Michonne should also be carrying a short sword, just for situations like in the pet store.
Definitely. Plus it doesn't hurt to have extra weapons in case her sword is stuck on something or is dropped. I have a hard time relating to the characters because I'd make sure I was prepared in a ZA. I'd have multiple weapons and would be wearing protection.

I guess that's one of the reason why I like watching some zombie shows - because it makes me think of how I would handle the situation.
Old 10-28-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think she always has knives on hand as well, but her preference is definitely the katana.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.