Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Quantico (ABC) -- Series Thread -- S: Priyanka Chopra

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 610 Likes on 441 Posts
re: Quantico (ABC) -- Series Thread -- S: Priyanka Chopra

I just deleted all the second half eps without watching.

Lost interest after the months between.
Old 04-10-16, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 358 Likes on 275 Posts

I have no idea what is going on! Just saw the April 3rd episode. I'm just sitting on the couch and thinking, this show is terrible! But I'm still watching...

I'm barely starting to follow what Caleb's plan is. I couldn't follow the story in the earlier episodes. It made no sense.
Old 04-11-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I have no idea what is going on! Just saw the April 3rd episode. I'm just sitting on the couch and thinking, this show is terrible! But I'm still watching...

I'm barely starting to follow what Caleb's plan is. I couldn't follow the story in the earlier episodes. It made no sense.
That's pretty much where I am at as well. I'm still a few episodes behind, but I really have no idea what is going on in the "now" timeline. The stuff at quantico I am fine with, but the current timeline is so convoluted that it is tough to follow. But Alex sure looks good in that blue Nat shirt that they all wear.
Old 04-11-16, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 834 Likes on 703 Posts

The show is a mess of changing themes and storylines. It was envisioned as a hectic, 24-style thriller with soapish overtones. That worked until ABC wanted more episodes than the initial order.

I would almost completely scrap the future timeline at this point and drop the two-timeline narrative structure. The stuff at the academy still mostly works, only because the cast looks like it is having fun in that period.
Old 04-11-16, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whotony
I just deleted all the second half eps without watching.

Lost interest after the months between.
Same. I came in to the thread to see if I was missing out. Looks like I choose wisely.
Old 04-11-16, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 222 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
That's pretty much where I am at as well. I'm still a few episodes behind, but I really have no idea what is going on in the "now" timeline. The stuff at quantico I am fine with, but the current timeline is so convoluted that it is tough to follow. But Alex sure looks good in that blue Nat shirt that they all wear.
I'm pretty much in alignment with everybody else, -this show is a mess since they came back and I just haven't quite made the step of taking it off my DVR. It would play better if they had just stuck with the training scenario. I have no idea what's really going on in the flash-forward storyline(s) and barely care.
Old 04-12-16, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This situation brings up an interesting question. The showrunners on Quantico were plannign on a 10-12 epsiode season. ABC ordreed more episodes. Does the studio/showrunners/writers/whoever have to provide them? Can they say "no. we're only doing 12 episodes"?
Old 04-12-16, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

This situation brings up an interesting question. The showrunners on Quantico were plannign on a 10-12 epsiode season. ABC ordreed more episodes. Does the studio/showrunners/writers/whoever have to provide them? Can they say "no. we're only doing 12 episodes"?
That's not up to the creators. When they do a network show, the network always has the option to order more episodes. ABC the studio and network controls the rights.

The original order was 13. ABC ordered 6 more to make it 19 and then decided to go head and order 22.
Old 04-13-16, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
That's not up to the creators. When they do a network show, the network always has the option to order more episodes. ABC the studio and network controls the rights.

The original order was 13. ABC ordered 6 more to make it 19 and then decided to go head and order 22.
So the network has the option to order more episodes, and the creators have no say? It's no wonder that alot of these shows start off good, then go to hell. What would happen if the creators refused to provide more episodes?
Old 04-13-16, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

No wonder network TV sucks.
Old 04-13-16, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk God

So the network has the option to order more episodes, and the creators have no say? It's no wonder that alot of these shows start off good, then go to hell. What would happen if the creators refused to provide more episodes?
Yeah it happens.

The creator/former showrunner of Revenge wanted to do the show as 13 episodes a season. He believed the show suffered creatively because of the extended episode order. He decided to quit the show after season 2 because of those "creative differences" He was promptly replaced.

This article talks about it.

http://deadline.com/2013/04/revenge-...ow-abc-473668/

It was pressure from the studio and network that ultimately led him to quit. The studio obviously wants more episodes because they can sell more content to overseas buyers and for syndication. The network needs to fill out a schedule from September to May.

I think Quantico may be suffering something similar. But, ultimately I think the writers/producers of this show want to stay employed because getting your created show on the air is already hard enough.

Working on a major network TV is probably one of the hardest/thankless jobs for a TV writer/producer. You have to hope a network buys your show, then you're at the mercy of the studio and network who controls how much content you need to crank out. Plus, you're always in danger of being cancelled.
Old 04-14-16, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 834 Likes on 703 Posts

Though I think this case was more about the showrunners being ill-prepared for a second season. They burned through huge chunks of plot by the first episode order and had nothing apparently planned out beyond it. ABC had always targeted this show to be a big hit and it was a key focus of their marketing blitz when it began.

We are now seeing the opposite happen. Shows used to go very slowly through plot advancements because most successful shows had to fill up five or more seasons of material. Now that networks don't give any rope to poorly performing new shows, serialized shows often chew through too much plot their first seasons.
Old 04-14-16, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Though I think this case was more about the showrunners being ill-prepared for a second season. They burned through huge chunks of plot by the first episode order and had nothing apparently planned out beyond it. ABC had always targeted this show to be a big hit and it was a key focus of their marketing blitz when it began.

We are now seeing the opposite happen. Shows used to go very slowly through plot advancements because most successful shows had to fill up five or more seasons of material. Now that networks don't give any rope to poorly performing new shows, serialized shows often chew through too much plot their first seasons.
Its the current "House Style" at ABC, -started mostly by the highly-successful"Shondaland" Thursday night shows ("Scandal", for example), -that dramas will be fast-paced and feature a lot of plot-turns. The downside of all that plot is that characters seem to turn on a dime in terms of motivation just to create "surprise".
Old 04-17-16, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah it happens.

The creator/former showrunner of Revenge wanted to do the show as 13 episodes a season. He believed the show suffered creatively because of the extended episode order. He decided to quit the show after season 2 because of those "creative differences" He was promptly replaced.

This article talks about it.

http://deadline.com/2013/04/revenge-...ow-abc-473668/

It was pressure from the studio and network that ultimately led him to quit. The studio obviously wants more episodes because they can sell more content to overseas buyers and for syndication. The network needs to fill out a schedule from September to May.

I think Quantico may be suffering something similar. But, ultimately I think the writers/producers of this show want to stay employed because getting your created show on the air is already hard enough.

Working on a major network TV is probably one of the hardest/thankless jobs for a TV writer/producer. You have to hope a network buys your show, then you're at the mercy of the studio and network who controls how much content you need to crank out. Plus, you're always in danger of being cancelled.
I understand that the studios are out to make as much money as they can. It just sucks that they are willing to put out inferior product to do it. It is no wonder that many creators are moving to cable networks and getting away from the major networks.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

It seems to be a vicious cycle. A show needs to have enough action happening in the first few episodes, so that it gets picked up for the rest of the season or next season. Problem is that all the action that was going to take place in the second half/next season, already happened in the first half of the already aired season. So now you have an obvious decline in quality. We have seen it time and again and it really sucks. Shows that woudl ahve been great at 13 episodes, end up sucking because they do 22 episodes in a season, and 9 of those are hastily thought up filler episodes.
Old 04-25-16, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate this show now. Trying to get through the April 17 episode, but I have NO idea what's going on. Caleb infiltrating a cult for some reason? The twins hate each other? The Asian girl getting into everyone's business? Some background questionnaire relating to security clearance is given now, several weeks into training????

I haven't finished the episode, but I'm going to guess no one has any serious security issues going on, since they passed the original background investigation before being recruited. If I'm wrong, then I hate this show even more...
Old 04-25-16, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

I'm in the same boat. I'm still watching but really have no idea what's going on. It's hard to know what's going on in the future and what's in the past. This show doesn't hold my attention, but I guess I keep it on because there's some good looking women on it! I'll finish out the season and then see where they take it next season.
Old 04-25-16, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I give up. I'll just read the online recaps just to see how the rest of the season goes.
Old 05-09-16, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk God

I know this show lost a lot of people here because of how convoluted it got. But wow, after tonight's episode.

I did not see that reveal coming that Liam ended up being the terrorist mastermind all along. That really surprised me.

Next week is the finale.

The creator of the show told Josh Hopkins (Liam) when they were filming episode 18 that he would be the baddie.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/08...orist-identity
Old 05-09-16, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still have four episodes (well, I saw half of the April 17 episode, so 3.5 episodes) remaining on my DVR. I have no urge to watch them. But I'm contemplating as to whether I'll watch them once the summer TV season starts and all my other shows have ended.

This shows sucks I've committed too much already!
Old 05-09-16, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
I still have four episodes (well, I saw half of the April 17 episode, so 3.5 episodes) remaining on my DVR. I have no urge to watch them. But I'm contemplating as to whether I'll watch them once the summer TV season starts and all my other shows have ended.

This shows sucks I've committed too much already!
Well, I guess I just spoiled the biggest reveal of the season for you. It's been the running plotline all season long.

I assume you don't care.

I binged the last 5 episodes yesterday and some of them were a little hard to comprehend. But, I think the reveal somewhat made up for it.
Old 05-09-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually didn't read any of the latest posts yet. So I'm still spoiler free

I just posted my thoughts and exited the thread ASAP haha
Old 05-10-16, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Yeah I didn't see the reveal coming. In retrospect, given all the nonsense the character seems to have been involved in, I can see him doing this. I'll watch the finale because I've invested so much time in the show already but unless the finale is unbelievably spectacular, I won't watch this next season.
Old 05-10-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Yeah I didn't see the reveal coming. In retrospect, given all the nonsense the character seems to have been involved in, I can see him doing this. I'll watch the finale because I've invested so much time in the show already but unless the finale is unbelievably spectacular, I won't watch this next season.
I very much agree with you, on both fronts. The show had a lot of promise initially and I wanted to like it, but the execution has too often been lacking.
Old 05-11-16, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 610 Likes on 441 Posts

I know this show lost a lot of people here because of how convoluted it got. But wow, after tonight's episode.

I did not see that reveal coming that Liam ended up being the terrorist mastermind all along. That really surprised me.

Next week is the finale.

The creator of the show told Josh Hopkins (Liam) when they were filming episode 18 that he would be the baddie.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/08...orist-identity
Well considering this happened and that I haven't watched any of this since it returned I may have to check in on the continuing adventures of Alex Quantico.
Old 05-16-16, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk God

After a very rocky season, that was a decent finale IMO. Probably the best since the Pilot.

I have a feeling this show would have played better if it were only 13-15 episodes. There were a lot of filler episodes this season. That probably lost most here.

They wrapped everything up and are essentially doing a re-set for season 2. Especially with Alex being offered a job with the CIA. With that in place, they are probably done with the non-linear/flashback storytelling.

Liam's motives were kind of out there. He felt that the FBI failed this country and wanted to blow the FBI to smithereens with that nuke and have them start from scratch. I thought all that dialogue that he was rambling on in that confrontation scene was a little corny.

to the character that died.

I'll watch season 2 in the Fall and see how it goes. Hopefully the re-set helps things.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.