Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Halt and Catch Fire (AMC) -- Season 2 Thread of catching all the fire

Hope it gets renewed!
Old 07-27-15, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I didn't quite understand what happened to the computers during the demo, could someone explain to me?
I could be wrong, but my guess is that the "virus" Cameron put on that floppy was to make that system think it had gained far more users than it could handle, causing it to freeze. Sort of like a rudimentary denial of service, or DDoS attack.
Old 07-27-15, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I could be wrong, but my guess is that the "virus" Cameron put on that floppy was to make that system think it had gained far more users than it could handle, causing it to freeze. Sort of like a rudimentary denial of service, or DDoS attack.

That's the impression I got too.
Old 07-28-15, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
Hope it gets renewed!
I read an article from June that the AMC President said they are taking a wait and see toward renewing 'Halt' and 'Turn'. He said that both have strong fanbases out there, but he wishes the ratings were better.

I still say 'Halt' is the perfect summer show, and that is why I think they may keep it. There isn't much on in the summer, so you need programming and that is why shows like Halt are able to find an audience. If 'Halt' was on in the fall/spring, it may have gotten lost in the shuffle from people like me.
Old 07-28-15, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone on another forum reminded me it was the same bug that Gordon accidentally created earlier this season that Cameron used. That makes sense and I had forgotten about that plotline.

I actually am pretty tech-savvy and I was trying to read the message but all they showed was the user count going up which is what confused me. I didn't know if it was a bug or if they had did something like reach out to the users to flood the system all at once because they mentioned earlier that the users would be loyal to Mutiny.
Old 07-28-15, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
I read an article from June that the AMC President said they are taking a wait and see toward renewing 'Halt' and 'Turn'.
'Turn' has already been renewed for season 3.
Old 07-28-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

I read an article from June that the AMC President said they are taking a wait and see toward renewing 'Halt' and 'Turn'. He said that both have strong fanbases out there, but he wishes the ratings were better.
(Quote in last paragraph of article).

https://variety.com/2015/tv/news/tur...-3-1201541056/
Old 07-28-15, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

If one believes some of the (alleged) Nielsen data,

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/am...ratings-33643/

it appears Halt and Catch Fire presently has the worst 18-49 demo ratings and the lowest overall viewership numbers on AMC.

Whether this leads to cancelation, remains to be seen.
Old 07-28-15, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by morriscroy
If one believes some of the (alleged) Nielsen data,

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/am...ratings-33643/

it appears Halt and Catch Fire presently has the worst 18-49 demo ratings and the lowest overall viewership numbers on AMC.

Whether this leads to cancelation, remains to be seen.
That's not good to read as I bet they cancel it. Once I saw Humans (a new show) was doing better in the 18-49, they would probably be better off going with a new show next summer then Season 3 of 'Halt'. For the record, I like Humans.

It's such a shame there is so much shit on TV that is popular and a nice little show like 'Halt' will never make it because it never finds an audience. All I saw on Twitter in the past few weeks was about The Bachelorette and Big Brother, Caitlyn Jenner Reality Show and realize that people will watch any slop out there.
Old 07-28-15, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does suck that people aren't watching - I know a lot of people who sampled HALT when it first premiered but weren't hooked by it - hell, it took me 3 episodes to really commit. It's a shame that the show is WAY better now than it ever was in Season 1, if they could have come out of the gate better, we might not be looking at a cancellation.
Old 07-29-15, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

That brutal pilot episode sunk Halt's chances from the very beginning. It's quite rare for a show's first season to have its worst episode by far in the pilot.
Old 07-29-15, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I have to believe one of the reasons the show hasn't caught on is the name.
"Halt and Catch Fire" doesn't mean anything to most people and would have no idea it was about computers. Hell, I've been playing/working with computers for over 30 years and I had no idea what it meant before the show started.

Also, I've mentioned the show to a few people and they questioned why they would watch a show about very outdated technology. They don't care about the history of it - as the nostalgia factor is lost on them since they weren't around in that era.

I always suspected the show would have a limited audience appeal.
Old 07-29-15, 09:31 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

I agree that the name is kind of obtuse, but I like it.
It really is a shame that no one is watching it. I convinced my wife to watch Season 1 with me (after I already watched it once), and she loved it, and she's loving Season 2.
I don't think the pilot was the worst episode (my vote goes to the Cabbage Patch one...), but I can see how it would be a turn-off for new viewers. The show hit its stride around episode 3, and hasn't really faltered since.

It would be a shame if this doesn't at least get a 3rd season, but I fear it'll be without Gordon, (or worse, a total reboot with different characters like True Detective and Fargo). Gordon's story has been the worst this season, whereas I feel like his arc in season 1 was fantastic.
Old 07-29-15, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Coral
I have to believe one of the reasons the show hasn't caught on is the name.
"Halt and Catch Fire" doesn't mean anything to most people and would have no idea it was about computers. Hell, I've been playing/working with computers for over 30 years and I had no idea what it meant before the show started.

Also, I've mentioned the show to a few people and they questioned why they would watch a show about very outdated technology. They don't care about the history of it - as the nostalgia factor is lost on them since they weren't around in that era.

I always suspected the show would have a limited audience appeal.
I have to agree with all of this, as shallow as it sounds a cool name can pick the curiosity of a viewer who maybe on the fence. The only reason I gave this show a shot was because it was on during the summer and there aren't many shows I watch this time of year.

I think another problem with shows like this is there is nothing sexy about it to recommend it to someone unless they make have come up working on Computers in the 1980's. Shows like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Americans, Homeland are easy to recommend because there is an easy hook that describes the show. Halt and Catch Fire is a strange name along with a premise I honestly wouldn't know how to describe without getting too technical with someone.

It makes sense with the ratings, because I have not been able to get one friend or family member to watch the show even though I really enjoy it and rave about it every Monday.
Old 07-29-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys like this show, you should check out Deutschland 83 on Sundance. I have been raving to everyone about it.

It takes place in Germany in 1983 and focuses on a young East German who is recruited to be a spy in West Germany during the height of the Cold War. If you enjoy the 80s feel of Halt and Catch Fire, you'd like this.

It's subtitled but worth it!
Old 07-29-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Ew, Germans... gross.
Old 07-29-15, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
If you guys like this show, you should check out Deutschland 83 on Sundance. I have been raving to everyone about it.

It takes place in Germany in 1983 and focuses on a young East German who is recruited to be a spy in West Germany during the height of the Cold War. If you enjoy the 80s feel of Halt and Catch Fire, you'd like this.

It's subtitled but worth it!
I heard good reviews for this. The problem is I have Comcast Cable and Sundance Channel isn't HD. It's 2015 and I still have standard definition channels on my friggin lineup!!!!
Old 07-30-15, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

That's not good to read as I bet they cancel it. Once I saw Humans (a new show) was doing better in the 18-49, they would probably be better off going with a new show next summer then Season 3 of 'Halt'. For the record, I like Humans.
Well, Humans is a co-production with Channel 4 in the UK, so AMC only has to front half the money for it. And the show is Channels 4's highest-rated drama since 1992, so I'm guess it'll be back no matter what.
Old 07-30-15, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

AMC would probably cut the budget once again even if it does return. I could see several cast members getting axed, including one of the leads like Gordon.
Old 07-31-15, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've bought every dumb plot thing this show has done so far. But James Cromwell somehow trusting Joe to give the freaking keynote at their most important event ever? No. Nope. Come on.
Old 08-03-15, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The way the episode was structured, I was thinking Joe was going to commit suicide or something. I figured that Cromwell and his daughter would be written out of the show, they simply never devoted enough screen time to her character to make me believe she was hanging around.

I haven't bought most of Donna's decisions this season. Extorting a sickly Gordon seemed extremely out of character.
Old 08-03-15, 12:33 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA

They better bring this back for season 3.
Old 08-03-15, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Gordon's little boredom project fuck up with Sonaris a few episodes back is what ends up creating McAfee McMillan
Old 08-03-15, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I haven't bought most of Donna's decisions this season. Extorting a sickly Gordon seemed extremely out of character.
I disagree only for that fact that Gordon cheated on her and admitted it in such a spiteful fashion - that was a game changer for Donna. Gordon is a selfish piece of shit, so good on her for making him step aside and put her wants and needs ahead of his own. Loved seeing Gordo basically created anti-virus software and blow off Joe at a bad time - the look on his face when he saw that 10 million dollar article - priceless. So deserved, what a motherfucker.

Awesome season finale - really hope it is not a series finale - this show is too damn good now to just stop here and the move to LA can revitalize all the storylines. If AMC doesn't renew it, I hope someone else will have good sense to do so.
Old 08-03-15, 09:28 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA

Originally Posted by mdc3000
good on her for making him step aside and put her wants and needs ahead of his own.
But didn't she do that with the pregnancy? She called him to task for hiding his sickness for 2 months, yet she hid the pregnancy, and the abortion. Same thing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.