TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Forever (ABC) -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-14, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
re: Forever (ABC) -- Series Thread

Originally Posted by Superman07
Enjoyed this and will keep watching. I do wish the mystery person on the phone had been left out. I think that would have been a much more interesting slow reveal in the background. However, if does beg 'm ore questions - how long has the person been alive for? Are they older than Henry? Do they come back in the same manner (water) or something less friendly (fire)?

Question on pilot - when he came out of the police office in the borrowed clothes and saw the blond across the street, wa that they lady from the flashbacks who we hadn't seen yet at that point, or was he seeing the lady from the subway?
I think Henry was imagining seeing the woman from his flashbacks who we didn't meet yet.
Old 09-23-14, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think Henry was imagining seeing the woman from his flashbacks who we didn't meet yet.
I thought he was imagining the girl who was killed on the subway.
Old 09-23-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He saw a girl who reminded him of the blonde from his past, but when he looked at her again, he realized he was only imagining seeing her. (The actress switched from the blonde to some other girl.)
Old 09-24-14, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We enjoyed the pilot, but by episode 2, I had a Castle vibe, and I've already checked out of Castle. Actually, it was Castle meets something else, but I've forgotten the something else, so let's just go with Castle. It stands the very real chance of being a show like Castle that I have no real problem with, but just don't need to watch. I'm also apprehensive about the dying/resurrection. In the Pilot, it was needed to establish some things. By the time the second episode came around, I actively said to my wife while watching the lead on the bridge that, "I guess we've reached the die/resurrection scene." The dying did nothing for me and in fact pulled me out of watching the story unfold.

Castle has played somewhat loose with why Castle follows Beckett, but has done a mostly good job of explaining it. Initially the mayor has him tag her as a favor for his book. Now he's allowed to tag along because his POV has proven valuable. And he's a rich playboy with plenty of time on his hands. But the Medical Examiner in this show? The premise of a ME in NYC out gallivanting around being a detective instead of doing his 9-5 job is thin.

Although we enjoyed the pilot, this seems quickly destined to fall into the category of "something on TV" as opposed to "something interesting on TV".

Last edited by MikahC; 09-24-14 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 09-24-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought the second episode was solid. But I agree with MikahC, an ME going around with a detective questioning people was a bit annoying. I'm going to stick with this show to see if the mystery caller is identified within the 13 episodes. For a few moments, in last night's episode, I kind of thought that the professor could have been an immortal because he was described as knowing several languages and various things.
Old 09-24-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I missed the premier, but caught the 2nd ep, thought it was pretty good.

The premier is not on demand, and I don't see it anywhere, hope they can repair so I can check it out.
Old 09-24-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy

The premier is not on demand, and I don't see it anywhere, hope they can repair so I can check it out.
http://www.hulu.com/forever
Old 09-24-14, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't enjoy the second episode as much as the pilot. The case did not hold my interest as much, and a lot of the entertaining tone from the pilot seemed to be missing from this episode. Hopefully this show doesn't continue to decline.
Old 09-24-14, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Thanks!
Old 09-24-14, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

So I guess the detective's dead ex is his mystery foil.
Old 09-24-14, 05:20 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy

We watched the premiere free on iTunes.
Old 09-24-14, 05:36 PM

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

I enjoyed this and will keep watching. Haven't seen the second episode yet but will check it out later tonight.
Old 09-24-14, 10:23 PM

http://deadline.com/2014/09/chicago-...atings-840316/

There was a slight bump in ratings last night from the pilot airing on Monday night. It was in second place behind Chicago Fire in the time slot. I think ABC is a bit satisfied with that.
Old 09-25-14, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I didn't enjoy the second episode as much as the pilot. The case did not hold my interest as much, and a lot of the entertaining tone from the pilot seemed to be missing from this episode. Hopefully this show doesn't continue to decline.
I just finished the second episode thought pretty much the same. It lacked some of the charm from the Pilot. The case of the week was okay. It had some interesting elements, but I didn't really care for who the villain was.

I did think it was funny that Abe used what looked like an old Taxi publicity photo for his eharmony profile.
Old 09-25-14, 08:17 AM

decent start:
at 10 p.m. the new drama “Forever” posted a 1.7, ABC’s best fall premiere in the timeslot in four years and even to the special preview of the show that aired on Monday night. That’s a better-than-expected beginning for the show.
Old 09-25-14, 09:01 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

If he's going to die every episode it's going to get old.
Old 09-25-14, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They could have called this show "Dumb Ways to Die"
Old 09-25-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
If he's going to die every episode it's going to get old.
I agree.
Old 09-25-14, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I assume he has eternal youth as well as resurrection ability. Surely he has gone decades without dying a violent death. I can't imagine he dies a violent death often enough for his age to be fixed, unless resurrection resets his age.
Old 09-25-14, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
So I guess the detective's dead ex is his mystery foil.
I think the same thing.
Old 09-25-14, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Wow, I thought the second episode was much better than the first. I felt it had more opportunity to flesh out the world and characters. Will definitely keep watching.

For a moment I thought her ex would be the GUY. While that would be interesting, and would juxtapose Abe telling Henry he won't ever see the blonde again (or will he??...), as soon as the guy called again I was off that theory.

I haven't seen any casting news, but I think the other guy may be the older actor who has been appearing in a lot of shows and overstating their welcome according to commentators here. Their name is escaping me, and I don't want to look them up lest I be spoiled. For reference, this person was recently in either episode 1 or 2 of the TNT series Legends.
Old 09-26-14, 01:06 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Just finished up the 2nd ep last night, and I am really enjoying this show. I honestly had only seen promo spots for this show maybe 48hrs prior to my tivoing it, so I was just tivoing it because it is my general habit to TiVo new falls shows as they pop up on the schedule, with the idea that a handful of them survive the ratings gauntlet and become season pass worthy.

I am somewhat shocked that this show has quickly become a favorite of mine, and since it seems to be shaking off the ratings curse of most ABC shows that air at 10, it may be on the air for at least an entire season, so that is great. Put it this way, since the show was mentioned in this thread, I was well aware of what Castle was about before it aired, and went into the show thinking I would enjoy it. It was a roll of the dice that Forever would be a show that earns a spot on my season pass list.
Old 09-27-14, 04:04 AM

Maybe the mystery foil is the guy from New Amsterdam.
Old 09-27-14, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by mnementh
Maybe the mystery foil is the guy from New Amsterdam.
Lol. But that guy wasn't 2,000 years old.

I'm also leaning on the myster caller Adam being the detective's dead husband. I also think the Henry's blonde ex wife will show up later on in the present day. I'm predicting that Adam will use her somehow to draw out Henry to find him.
Old 09-27-14, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

This one took me completely by surprise. The acting is terrific, the writing is strong and the plot surprises/historical pieces give character depth, etc.

Felt like a cross between Unbreakable and Elementary or something.

I'll be watching.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.