TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Scorpion (CBS) -- Season 1 Thread -- From Producer Justin Lin

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-14, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
re: Scorpion (CBS) -- Season 1 Thread -- From Producer Justin Lin

that airplane scene was crazy good..

its a stupid show, but I thought it was kinda fun, will tune in for one more and take it from there.
Old 09-23-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by mnementh
Why did they have to hook up the laptop to a moving plane instead of just landing the plane first?
I couldn't figure that out either. Why couldn't the plane just land?
Old 09-23-14, 08:50 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
Why does the plane have a complete copy of the Air Traffic Control software? Why did they upgrade the software without running it through a dev environment first? Why couldn't they communicate via radio? Why didn't they use a cell phone to email the files from the plane? Why did anything happen on this show?

Old 09-23-14, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
The airport they were using wasn't a major aiport and the runways were not long enough to handle that type of plane. They could have landed but would not be able to stop where the barrier was and would have crashed thru it and into the buildings beyond. They could only stay that low for 7 seconds before they had to pull up, that should have been a clue. No plane that size can stop in seven seconds.
Old 09-23-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Early ratings.

14M viewers and 3.3 in the demos. The Big Bang Theory lead in helped a lot.
Old 09-23-14, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I missed this one, is there going to be a replay or should I look for it on demand?
Old 09-23-14, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Quake1028
I missed this one, is there going to be a replay or should I look for it on demand?
Re-airs Saturday
Old 09-23-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks!
Old 09-23-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I suppose the obvious solution would be for the planes to go to different airports and land there. I'M A GENIUS!
Old 09-23-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm still mourning the loss of "Breakout Kings" so I DVR'd this one in the hopes that some of that Nick Santora magic carries over. Of course I have no idea when I'll actually be able to watch it since I'm forced to sit through the 32 hours a week of "The Voice."
Old 09-23-14, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
Well I suppose the obvious solution would be for the planes to go to different airports and land there. I'M A GENIUS!
Or the pilots could communicate amongst themselves by radio, line up in order based on minutes to bingo fuel and land visually on the main runway at LAX.

If the plane could maneuver within 8 ft of the ground, it could have landed at an airport with a long enough runway. (but that wasn't the script, play along, suspend disbelief, ignore nonsense)
Old 09-23-14, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Was that a small airstrip? So its probably a little over a mile. The Ferrari reaches about 150 mph at maybe a little less than that in the right conditions. There is no way it will ever reach its top end of 202 mph before it crashes into the barrier.
Old 09-23-14, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I liked this, but will admit it's insanely over-the-top. Forgot Katherine McPhee was an actress.

And while watching the runway scene, I thought, "am I watching Fast & Furious 6?!"

and then I remembered this thread and Justin Lin's involvement.
Old 09-23-14, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,018 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I enjoyed the heck out of this show, and can care less that pigs in tutus buzzing the LAX tower in the show would be more realistic than what I just watched, the show just worked for me. This is junk food TV that I will continue to consume. It also helps that I have had a crush on Katharine McPhee since her days as a contestant on American Idol.
Yep, this is me, too.
Old 09-24-14, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I think the whole "based on a true story" thing took me out of this... If this was just a show where there was some mutant gene that made some people ridiculously smart, I would have bought in a lot easier. But as is it's like someone thought the characters in the Big Bang Theory would make good action stars played straight and not for laughs.

Seriously even the main character was such an arrogant prick, and I'm not talking about his lack of feelings. The guy sees what's wrong with the kid and doesn't offer the information up to the mom until he happens to go back? He belittles the air traffic control guy? If you hit control c at the precise moment a cursor is blinking what will that do? Hey nerdy intern guy, you program, right? Ugh. And I can already tell the psychologist guy is going to pull many many House/Sherlock leaps of logic.

Other leaps of logic aside, why exactly did they need to go to a place with a stable wireless connection?
Old 09-24-14, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

That's the way people like him really are. I know a couple and they are actually like that.
One would think they are pushovers and nerds to the fullest but really, they can be jerks.
Old 09-24-14, 07:41 AM

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

The pilot looks like a crappy episode from the show Numb3rs.
Old 09-24-14, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At 150mph the car travels 220 feet per second
At 200mph the car travels 293 feet per second
In 7 seconds @ 200mph the car would have traveled 2,051 feet
The car going 200mph would have needed ~300 feet to stop
If the plane were a 747 or 777 it would need 12,000 feet of runway
Old 09-24-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why is the main character Irish? The actor playing him is as Irish as a pastrami on rye.
Old 09-24-14, 09:56 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
But as is it's like someone thought the characters in the Big Bang Theory would make good action stars played straight and not for laughs.
I said this exact thing while I was watching it.

I agree with all the criticisms of the show's idiocity, plus the fact that you could not stand up moving 200 MPH. At the very least, Katherine McPhee's clothes should have been torn off her body from the force of the wind at that speed. I demand that they reshoot the scene and correct this oversight!
Old 09-26-14, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think the whole "based on a true story" thing took me out of this... If this was just a show where there was some mutant gene that made some people ridiculously smart, I would have bought in a lot easier. But as is it's like someone thought the characters in the Big Bang Theory would make good action stars played straight and not for laughs.
This show looks like the characters from The Big Bang Theory trying to act "serious" in an "Under The Dome" or "Sharknado" style of show.

It comes off as being unintentionally funny, more than anything else.
Old 09-26-14, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I said this exact thing while I was watching it.

I agree with all the criticisms of the show's idiocity ...
(More generally).

These days I'm pretty much beyond giving a damn anymore about the technical ignorance of writers. It seems like such ignorance is very much "institutional" in the entertainment business.

With that being said, my main focus these days is whether a particular show/movie keeps my attention. Mostly execution.

This pilot episode seemed rather boring and giggle-worthy (albeit unintentionally). I was not able to suspend disbelief.

Last edited by morriscroy; 09-26-14 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-26-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Ehhh. I get what they were trying to do. I don't believe they actually succeeded. This could be a pretty decent show based on the premise, I just dont know that these writers will be able to pull it off. I don;t need to be shown factually based situations on every show I watch, but they do need to make me believe what I am seeing. I didn't believe what I saw on this one, it was way too far fetched. Too many reaches all compounding on each other, that it just didnt work for me. But it could. If they just dialed back the unbelievability to a more moderate level. I would put this premiere on par with that Chuck 2.0 show that aired last season. That show never got its footing, hopefully this one will.
Old 09-26-14, 12:49 PM

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

So Deadline reports they are double-stacking The Big Bang Theory eps for I believe the next few weeks, knowing the ratings will be higher than usual with TBBT as a lead-in vs Mom (which I believe was originally going to come back this Monday). If Scorpion does ultimately get crushed in the ratings once it has to stand on its own (or even on its second airing after TBBT), one cannot say the network did not give the show a fair shot at survival.

I want the show to survive, because it feels Fastlane like to me (another junk food show from McG several years back)...and while I enjoy tv that is also appreciated by the critics as much as anyone else, I always miss it when shows with eye candy and outlandish action scenes are yanked from the airwaves.
Old 09-26-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Why does the plane have a complete copy of the Air Traffic Control software? Why did they upgrade the software without running it through a dev environment first? Why couldn't they communicate via radio? Why didn't they use a cell phone to email the files from the plane? Why did anything happen on this show?
Who stole my heart away? Who makes me dream all day? Dreams I know will never come true.

CBS TV is like stupid show central these days, isn't it? Yet they get all the ratings. I can't think of the last truly logical drama or legitimately funny sitcom that was on CBS. Probably The Waltons and All in the Family.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.