Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore (Comedy Central) - Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore (Comedy Central) - Series Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by slop101
Is it just me, or has this show gotten progressively worse? It seems less and less funny each week, and the topics aren't particularly interesting either. I've pretty much stopped watching, and everyone I know who started watching has given up as well. Wilmore seems to care less about his delivery as well, and comes off like he doesn't care and hasn't prepared. It would be interesting to see it's ratings.
It's just pointlessly ultra-liberal, which I find annoying (much like I find ultra-conservatism like Cruz and Santorum annoying as well). It seems like mostly they just bring on a conservative person just to bash them during the entire panel segment with nonsensical rhetoric and flippant "me" generation comments.

It's ratings are significantly worse than Colbert and I think @Midnight is beating it too. RT viewers seem to hate it as well at 39% - http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the...y-wilmore/s01/

I hope CC "Keeps it 100" and cancels this piece of crap.
Old 03-25-15, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore (Comedy Central) - Series Discussion Thread

Yeah, I gave up on it after a couple of weeks. Just not a very good show, and I find Wilmore annoying. The whole keeping it 100 thing is moronic as well.
Old 03-25-15, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Yeah, I gave up on it after a couple of weeks. Just not a very good show, and I find Wilmore annoying. The whole keeping it 100 thing is moronic as well.
They've recently been alternating the "keep it 100" segment with other panel segments, or sometimes skipping it altogether and letting the panel discussion go long.

Personally, I like Wilmore, and I actually like the opening host segment usually. The panel portion typically seems too light though. With 4 guests and something like 6 minutes, Wilmore barely has time to get around the table for everyone to make an opening statement before the panel segment is usually done.
Old 03-25-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Ratings are on a steady decline, but still around 700,000 viewers a night. It's a big step down from Colbert, but may buy him a second season. It's losing about 40% of the Daily Show audience.
Old 03-25-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

I think the problem is that the panel discussion just doesn't work for me at its current state. You have too many people on there which leads to ideas being cut completely too short to ever get into anything meaty.
Old 03-25-15, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Exactly, the panel is what's wrong with this show. Bill Maher has about 40 minutes to discuss with his panel. Larry has 6.

What makes the Daily Show so good is that they actually do news and special reports with a funny slant. Nightly is just 4 people giving their opinion, with nothing of substance usually getting said.

I'm still watching, but this show needs some tweaking.
Old 03-25-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

No, the panel doesn't work, but I think his first segment where he's commenting on current events is just as lifeless. The writing just isn't there, especially following Daily Show.
Old 03-26-15, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I wanted this show to succeed because I think there need to be more minority hosts for stuff of this nature. But, I just stopped looking forward to watching this show. I miss Colbert and when Stewart leaves I'm probably done with Comedy Central.
Old 03-27-15, 02:46 AM

I usually wind up sitting through this just because I watch the Daily Show and @midnight, and am too lazy to search for something else in between, but I haven't actively enjoyed this in quite a while. Wilmore's got Fallon Syndrome, where he cracks himself up way more than anyone else. And while I know its a comedy show, the panel questions are quite inane, and the Keep it 100 questions usually fall in the mildly retarded category. I'll 25% watch this in the background until it gets canned, but I'd love something to fill the gap between two shows I do like.
Old 03-27-15, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally decided to drop this from my DVR. I like Larry Wilmore, but I just wasn't really enjoying this. It became something I would watch in the background and not really pay attention to while it was on. Not worth it to record it every night. If I ever happen on it while surfing live tv, I might watch, but it's definitely not appointment television.

Just keeping it 100.
Old 03-27-15, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Adken
I usually wind up sitting through this just because I watch the Daily Show and @midnight, and am too lazy to search for something else in between, but I haven't actively enjoyed this in quite a while. Wilmore's got Fallon Syndrome, where he cracks himself up way more than anyone else. And while I know its a comedy show, the panel questions are quite inane, and the Keep it 100 questions usually fall in the mildly retarded category. I'll 25% watch this in the background until it gets canned, but I'd love something to fill the gap between two shows I do like.
I never heard that before, but that's exactly what happens.

I may be ready to give this show the ax. It started out ok, but after those first couple shows, the topics became less and less interesting. I think I've already skipped four or five episodes due to uninteresting topics and a few more I watched halfway through, then shut off. I thought Larry was fine on The Daily Show, but he doesn't seem to have the same enthusiasm Stewart and Colbert had to host his own show. If this show flops, I don't know what Comedy Central will do when Jon Stewart leaves.
Old 03-27-15, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Even when he has a guest I really like, I end up totally unengaged in what's going on with his show. Can't wait for Colbert's CBS show, and I doubt I'll still watch Daily Show after Stewart. I wonder if Comedy Central is worried about this? They should be.
Old 03-27-15, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I half expect The Daily Show with Matthew Stone and Randolph Parker.
Old 04-01-15, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I decided to drop this. The show started out decent, but the topics became less and less interesting and the panels were pretty much just Larry bullshitting with his guests.
Old 04-02-15, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's the ratings like? Is it going to stick around for a while?
Old 04-02-15, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movieking
What's the ratings like? Is it going to stick around for a while?
I posted above they are worse than Colberts and @Midnight is beating it too. But I would say yes, CC seems committed to changing the character of its late night shows with Wilmore and Noah, so I think this show stays on for the foreseeable future.
Old 04-02-15, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It seems unlikely this will stick around, CC wants to change the character of its late night, yes, but they don't want to destroy the goodwill it has built.
Old 08-15-16, 11:02 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Canceled:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...anceled-919407

'Nightly Show' Canceled; Larry Wilmore "Saddened" By "Unblackening" at Comedy Central

Spoiler:
The late-night talk show will end its run Thursday, with Chris Hardwick's '@Midnight' serving as its temporary replacement.

It's the end of the road for Larry Wilmore's Comedy Central series The Nightly Show.

The decision comes a year and a half after rolling out the half-hour late-night panel show as a forum for underrepresented points of view. The last episode is slated to run Thursday, with the Viacom-owned network planning to slot in Chris Hardwick’s game show @Midnight at 11:30 p.m. until a permanent replacement is found. In explaining the decision, Comedy Central president Kent Alterman says it came down to its inability to register with viewers.

"Unfortunately, it hasn't connected with our audience in ways that we need it to," Alterman tells The Hollywood Reporter, "both in the linear channel and in terms of multi-platform outlets and with shareable content and on social platforms as well."

At launch, The Nightly Show had the benefit of stalwart The Daily Show With Jon Stewart as his opener, and a landscape seemingly in desperate need of a diverse voice just as the Black Lives Matter movement was taking shape. In the many months since, however, Wilmore lost Stewart as his lead-in (he remains an executive producer on The Nightly Show) and instead follows another black voice in new Daily Show host Trevor Noah.

Wilmore, who informed his staff of the network's decision early Monday, didn’t hide his disappointment. "I'm really grateful to Comedy Central, Jon Stewart, and our fans to have had this opportunity," he says in a statement to THR, leaning on his “Keeping it 100” mantra as he continued: "But I'm also saddened and surprised we won't be covering this crazy election or 'The Unblackening' as we've coined it. And keeping it 100, I guess I hadn't counted on 'The Unblackening' happening to my time slot as well."

The timing — after two seasons or, as of Thursday, 259 episodes — is believed to have come down to contractual logistics. Comedy Central is said to have been faced with a looming decision to sign Wilmore and what insiders say amounted to be about 15 members of the Nightly Show's on- and off-screen staff to new contracts. But with the series averaging a particularly grim night-of rating of 0.2 in the 18-49 demo, for instance, doing so was hard to justify.

"We just didn't feel like we had enough traction to sign up for another year. It wasn't about the election; it’s about another year of the show,” Alterman adds. “Sadly, we’ve been hoping against hope that it would start to resonate in any of those quarters and we just weren’t seeing evidence of it. As much as we like Larry and the uniqueness of the show and the voices that are on the show — not just in terms of ratings — it hasn't resonated in terms of our fans engaging with show with consuming or sharing content or having a dialogue about it on social platforms."

In June, Wilmore, 54, told THR that growing that social footprint with viral videos wasn't particularly important to him, nor was it the focus of his series. "It's not designed to have the type of things that [Jimmy] Fallon and [James] Corden do, like the [carpool] karaoke type of thing or lip sync battle and those types of things because those are such pure comic things," he said. "Ours is so much more specific and has different structure to it, so it does get shared, but it's just a different tone."

The decision puts an end to Wilmore’s decade-long tenure at the Viacom-owned network. He began in 2006 as the “Senior Black Correspondent” on The Daily Show. When Stephen Colbert announced he’d be leaving his Colbert Report post at Comedy Central for one at CBS, it was Stewart who suggested and ultimately lured Wilmore as his replacement. Initially, Wilmore’s series — billed early on as a mix between The Daily Show and Politically Incorrect — was set to be titled The Minority Report, but he was forced to abandon the latter because Fox had a scripted series of the same name in the works. Wilmore remains an executive producer on ABC’s Black-ish, which he was set to run before before being tapped at Comedy Central, as well as HBO’s upcoming Issa Rae comedy Insecure.

Alterman insists he remains fiercely committed to Noah, however, who is now the only prominent black voice in late night. In fact, he downplayed the franchise’s ratings and critical drop-off, suggesting any early stumbles are akin to what Stewart faced when he took over for predecessor Craig Kilborn many years earlier. Despite an only slightly rosier night-of rating of 0.3 in the 18-49 demo, the network has been focused on Noah's reach among a younger subset, both on TV and online, as well as his ability to create moments that travel beyond the show. “Trevor has been resonating increasingly," says Alterman, adding that Noah has reached a "plateau" in his voice leading into and after the political conventions: "All of the original shows that we shot at the conventions were so strong, and they really resonated with our fans.”

Looking ahead, the attention will soon turn to who will fill the 11:30 p.m. slot, with Alterman suggesting he’d “consider everything” — and would look both inside and outside of the network stable: "We're totally open to women and in whatever form of diversity would come, we’re open to it for sure."

One option that seems not to be on the table, however, is former Daily Show correspondent Jessica Williams, who exited in June after a four-year run with the late-night show. "Jessica is more interested in developing a half-hour weekly scripted show,” says Alterman. "It’s not what she’s looking to do.”

As for whether Comedy Central would try to make a play to get Colbert — now the host of CBS' The Late Show — back to the network, the exec quips: "I'm pretty sure he has a job right now."
Old 08-15-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Move Trevor Noah to the 11:30 show and get someone better for The Daily Show. In fact, back up the Brinks truck and give John Stewart anything he wants.
Old 08-15-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Comedy Central does that. If a show doesn't work, they'll try another. Again and again until something catches on (like Colbert did). Comedy Central is awesome - in that they experiment a lot. They give a lot of shows a chance.

I watched Larry Wilmore for his first year or so. The views weren't as solid and tended to be easy to object to. The bits would come across as crass rather than funny and insightful. The narrative never reached the heights of The Daily Show or The Colbert Report. It wasn't terrible. But the commentary was more like 'the best parts of the comments section', and less like 'the actual article' (the real journalism). Or you could say that it's like the Comedy Central version of "The View". It's entertaining sometimes. But the content never hit those serious notes where you stop and realize you're watching "real journalism" with a comedic spin.

I think that Samantha Bee's show is walking that same line. But it's a different network.

I don't think anyone has properly replaced the Stewart/Colbert combination. We have Colbert-lite on CBS and John Oliver on HBO. Bill Maher offers good insight, but still has the problem with being crass and insulting over letting the commentary speak for itself.

Last edited by Troy Stiffler; 08-15-16 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-15-16, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Move Trevor Noah to the 11:30 show and get someone better for The Daily Show. In fact, back up the Brinks truck and give John Stewart anything he wants.
Stewart's problem wasn't money, but the grind of a 4-day-a-week show. It's why John Oliver and Samantha Bee went with a weekly show (Samantha Bee explicitly stated in an interview that she didn't want the grind of a daily show).

I feel the Daily Show is doing fine, but the slot after it has always been a problem to fill. The Colbert Report was the only show with any success in that slot.

I liked Wilmore fine, but I just didn't like the roundtable debate format of the show. The only time that worked for me was CC-era Politically Incorrect, when it was focused on making jokes.
Old 08-15-16, 01:11 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I liked Wilborne and most of his correspondents (or whatever they're called). It was never as good as Colbert, but I looked forward to watching it every night. Sad to see it go, but after over 18 months, you can't say Comedy Central didn't give it a chance to find an audience.
Old 08-15-16, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
I liked Wilborne and most of his correspondents (or whatever they're called). It was never as good as Colbert, but I looked forward to watching it every night. Sad to see it go, but after over 18 months, you can't say Comedy Central didn't give it a chance to find an audience.
You need to have a certain kind of ultra-liberal ideology to love the show. Otherwise its just kind of a lot of complaining for 30 minutes. I do think Larry is very talented and a very funny guy but I never thought he could carry his own show. And neither did CC which is why they had the panel in the first place. I'm not sure what's next for CC in terms of that slot but I do wonder if Colbert wouldn't be receptive to a return in character. I think CBS would be.
Old 08-15-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You need to have a certain kind of ultra-liberal ideology to love the show...
I'm not sure if that's true. Larry's views weren't really "ultra-liberal," and he was only the host, not all the guests.

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I do think Larry is very talented and a very funny guy but I never thought he could carry his own show. And neither did CC which is why they had the panel in the first place.
I don't think this is true either. A big thing is that they had to differentiate it from the Daily Show, otherwise it'd be too much like "The Daily Show 2nd half hour." The Colbert Report was its own format, being a pundit parody. And they had tried the panel format before with "Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn."
Old 08-15-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Maybe I am in the minority but I thought he killed at the white house correspondents dinner.

Maybe they should replace him with Brian Williams since he can do comedy and probably wants to get his own talk show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.