Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "The Lion and the Rose" -- 4/13/14

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-14, 11:04 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "The Lion and the Rose" -- 4/13/14

Originally Posted by JaxComet
I understand that this is what happens in the book but after 3+ seasons it just didn't translate as well to TV. Not nearly satisfying enough.
Originally Posted by rocketsauce
I think it's because it was at the beginning of a new season in the second episode. After a long break, even though yeah we all hate him, not experiencing his assholishness in awhile might kind of take away from the satisfaction. Just my theory.
Maybe this is explains your feelings?

In some ways, Joffrey’s death is the toughest death for viewers because he’s such an entertaining character to lose. You really had such fun with that character and Jack Gleeson’s performance is so malevolent. Can you talk about the decision you made to end this character when you did and how you did?

Martin: Oh boy, it was so long ago! Lets see, the book came out in 2000, so I guess I wrote those scenes in like 1998. I knew all along when and how Joffrey was going to die, and on what occasion. I’d been building up to it for three years through the first books. Part of it was that there’s a lot of darkness in the books. I’ve been pretty outspoken in my desire to write a story where decisions have consequences and no one is safe. But I didn’t want it to be unrelentingly bleak—I don’t think everyone would read the books if everything was just darkness and despair and people being horribly tortured and mutilated and dying. Every once in a while you have to give the good guys a victory — where the guys who are perhaps a lighter shade of grey have a victory over the guys who are a darker shade of grey. The Red Wedding and this — fans call this the Purple Wedding — occur in the same book. In the TV show, it’s separate seasons. But Joffrey’s death was in some ways a counterweight for readers to the death of Robb and Catelyn. It shows that yes, nobody is safe—sometimes the good guys win, sometimes the bad guys win. Nobody is safe and that we are playing for keeps. I also tried to provide a certain moment of pathos with the death. I mean, Joffrey, as monstrous as he is — and certainly he’s just as monstrous in the books as he is in the TV show, and Jack has brought some incredible acting chops to the role that somehow makes him even more loathsome than he is on the page — but Joffrey in the books is still a 13-year-old kid. And there’s kind of a moment there where he knows that he’s dying and he can’t get a breath and he’s kind of looking at Tyrion and at his mother and at the other people in the hall with just terror and appeal in his eyes—you know, “Help me mommy, I’m dying.” And in that moment, I think even Tyrion sees a 13-year-old boy dying before him. So I didn’t want it to be entirely, “Hey-ho, the witch is dead.” I wanted the impact of the death to still strike home on to perhaps more complex feelings on the part of the audience, not necessarily just cheering.

You also deny us the expected way that we would think that Joffrey will die, which would be by one of the hands of the surviving Stark kids, or through some other obvious mechanism from people he has wronged. You give us his death, but deny use the typical pleasure that we would normally get from it.

Martin:
I wanted to make it little bit unclear what exactly has happened here, make the readers work a little to try and figure out what has happened. And of course, for Tyrion, Joffrey’s death doesn’t make things better, it makes things worse. Tyrion’s in terrible trouble, and it proves that something I’ve tried to make a point of through the whole series: Decisions have consequences. When Robb breaks his word to House Frey and doesn’t marry one of Frey’s daughters, that has dire consequences for him. One of Tyrion’s problems has been that he has a big mouth. He’s been saying things since the beginning of the series, these veiled threats to Cersei—”someday I’m going to get you for this, someday your joy is going to turn to ashes in your mouth.” Now, all these declarations make him look really guilty.
Old 04-14-14, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Great episode... Glad he's dead and loved the way it happened.

I do have a question though as I don't know if it was ever mentioned in the show (it may have and I completely missed it). We know Joffrey is Ceresi and Jamie's kid, but are all of Ceresi's children fathered by Jamie? Did any of Robert's swimmers get through??
Didn't Robert and Cersei have one son (with black hair) before Joffrey and the others that was either stillborn or died shortly after birth?

Which sort of a strain on the marriage and also implied that Robert and Cersei couldn't have children together?
Old 04-14-14, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Didn't Robert and Cersei have one son (with black hair) before Joffrey and the others that was either stillborn or died shortly after birth?

Which sort of a strain on the marriage and also implied that Robert and Cersei couldn't have children together?
No, that was just something the TV show created (Cersei in season 1 expressed regret over a child between Robert and Cersei that died). That never happened in the book. Cersei deliberately prevented any children with Robert. She drank moon tea to prevent that.
Old 04-14-14, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Deadline posted a headline in their Facebook feed that Joffrey died and people commenting are losing their shit about the spoiler. I get that people sometimes can't watch GOT right away, but if you really want to stay spoiler-free, don't log on to social media until you watch it.
Old 04-14-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Yep. That's a good link, as it doesn't show anything that wasn't in the show.
Except the first picture's description; I don't recall anything in the show pointing out where it came from.
Old 04-14-14, 11:14 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Deadline posted a headline in their Facebook feed that Joffrey died and people commenting are losing their shit about the spoiler. I get that people sometimes can't watch GOT right away, but if you really want to stay spoiler-free, don't log on to social media until you watch it.
I saw that. Picture and headline.
Old 04-14-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I saw that. Picture and headline.
Other sites are at least putting Spoiler Alert. They could have done that and not had the thumb nail of Joffrey choking. They are going to have a lot of Unfollows today
Old 04-14-14, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Yep. That's a good link, as it doesn't show anything that wasn't in the show.
This is almost exactly like the book, only it is a jeweled hairnet and not a necklace.

For non-book readers who want confirmation, the assassination plot is orchestrated by
Spoiler:
Lady Olenna Tyrell and Peter Baelish (Littlefinger). Sir Dontos (the fool) is working with Baelish the entire time.
Old 04-14-14, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I'm enjoying reading all of your theories on the poisoning. A nice little whodunnit, I wonder when the show will reveal the truth.
If only there were some way for us to figure out what happens next on this show!

Sorry, but I always think these "what'll happen next?!?" discussions about this show are pretty funny. Storm of Swords was published almost 13 years ago. It's a good book and worth reading, it turns out.
Old 04-14-14, 11:46 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The old man that got punked by Cersei and was threatened to get thrown into jail again. I always forget his name but he's been on the show since the beginning. He was hitting on a pretty young thing when Cersei stepped in and told him to fuck off.
Grand Maester Pycelle.
Old 04-14-14, 11:49 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
A redditor explains how the poison got to Joffrey here: http://imgur.com/gallery/0EQr6
In hindsight, Joffrey should have known better than to drink from a vessel with a pestle.
Old 04-14-14, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Not to mention, it actually happened in the books, 15 years ago. People get far too butt-hurt over spoilers from way too long ago. Not to mention obvious ones; as if anyone believes Joffrey wasn't going to die.

Just by the mere fact that these have been books published for over a decade (popular ones at that), means that you can not expect to be free of spoilers like you can with something like Breaking Bad.
Old 04-14-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't necessarily mind the spoilers as much as I mind the spoilers when they take place less than 12 hours after the episode airs.

Not everybody watches a show when it's aired live.
Old 04-14-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
In hindsight, Joffrey should have known better than to drink from a vessel with a pestle.
Ha
Old 04-14-14, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

If I were that kid who played Joffrey, I'd take a few years off acting and enjoy being a teen, because he is going to be SERIOUSLY typecast.
Old 04-14-14, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Besides Tyrion inexplicably picking up that cup at that time, why the hell didn't he tell Shae that Cersei and his dad were on to her and were going to have her killed?
I think he basically had to break her heart to get her to leave. She had shown before that she was unwilling to go no matter how much danger Tyrion told her she was in. So thats what Tyrion had to do to get her to leave.
Old 04-14-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
If I were that kid who played Joffrey, I'd take a few years off acting and enjoy being a teen, because he is going to be SERIOUSLY typecast.
That part might be hard since he is 21.
Old 04-14-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

yep, I had to watch live, almost DVR everything other than sports, but GOT is now a must watch live show...
Old 04-14-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Besides Tyrion inexplicably picking up that cup at that time, why the hell didn't he tell Shae that Cersei and his dad were on to her and were going to have her killed?
Originally Posted by mwbmis
She probably wouldn't have believed him and thrown it back in his face again. Shae is not a rational person.
He mentioned either in this episode, or the one before, that he's warned her so many times of what his father will do to her if he finds out that she no longer believes him. She's just that stubborn and irrational.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Maybe this is explains your feelings?

In some ways, Joffrey’s death is the toughest death for viewers because he’s such an entertaining character to lose. You really had such fun with that character and Jack Gleeson’s performance is so malevolent. Can you talk about the decision you made to end this character when you did and how you did?

Martin: Oh boy, it was so long ago! Lets see, the book came out in 2000, so I guess I wrote those scenes in like 1998. I knew all along when and how Joffrey was going to die, and on what occasion. I’d been building up to it for three years through the first books. Part of it was that there’s a lot of darkness in the books. I’ve been pretty outspoken in my desire to write a story where decisions have consequences and no one is safe. But I didn’t want it to be unrelentingly bleak—I don’t think everyone would read the books if everything was just darkness and despair and people being horribly tortured and mutilated and dying. Every once in a while you have to give the good guys a victory — where the guys who are perhaps a lighter shade of grey have a victory over the guys who are a darker shade of grey. The Red Wedding and this — fans call this the Purple Wedding — occur in the same book. In the TV show, it’s separate seasons. But Joffrey’s death was in some ways a counterweight for readers to the death of Robb and Catelyn. It shows that yes, nobody is safe—sometimes the good guys win, sometimes the bad guys win. Nobody is safe and that we are playing for keeps. I also tried to provide a certain moment of pathos with the death. I mean, Joffrey, as monstrous as he is — and certainly he’s just as monstrous in the books as he is in the TV show, and Jack has brought some incredible acting chops to the role that somehow makes him even more loathsome than he is on the page — but Joffrey in the books is still a 13-year-old kid. And there’s kind of a moment there where he knows that he’s dying and he can’t get a breath and he’s kind of looking at Tyrion and at his mother and at the other people in the hall with just terror and appeal in his eyes—you know, “Help me mommy, I’m dying.” And in that moment, I think even Tyrion sees a 13-year-old boy dying before him. So I didn’t want it to be entirely, “Hey-ho, the witch is dead.” I wanted the impact of the death to still strike home on to perhaps more complex feelings on the part of the audience, not necessarily just cheering.

You also deny us the expected way that we would think that Joffrey will die, which would be by one of the hands of the surviving Stark kids, or through some other obvious mechanism from people he has wronged. You give us his death, but deny use the typical pleasure that we would normally get from it.

Martin:
I wanted to make it little bit unclear what exactly has happened here, make the readers work a little to try and figure out what has happened. And of course, for Tyrion, Joffrey’s death doesn’t make things better, it makes things worse. Tyrion’s in terrible trouble, and it proves that something I’ve tried to make a point of through the whole series: Decisions have consequences. When Robb breaks his word to House Frey and doesn’t marry one of Frey’s daughters, that has dire consequences for him. One of Tyrion’s problems has been that he has a big mouth. He’s been saying things since the beginning of the series, these veiled threats to Cersei—”someday I’m going to get you for this, someday your joy is going to turn to ashes in your mouth.” Now, all these declarations make him look really guilty.
I went back and watched it again and I can definitely see how someone who didn't already know what was going to happen would be quite satisfied. The tension really builds and builds throughout the scene.

The look on his face as he's dying was also very effective as it almost made you think of him as just a scared kid instead of an evil ahole.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I've heard he was going to hang up acting for awhile.
Old 04-14-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I think I've heard he was going to hang up acting for awhile.
http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2013/1124...ay-night-show/

Jack Gleeson, who King Prince Joffrey in Game of Thrones, is reconsidering his acting career and may pursue a more academic career path.

Speaking to Brendan O'Connor on The Saturday Night Show last night, the 21-year-old Cork native who studies philosophy and theology in Trinity College, Dublin, said, "I have wanted to become an actor and it's just the last few years I've started to change my mind about it, so I'm liable to change it again.

"It's hard to explain, once the prospect of becoming an actor professionally, and essentially my dreams became a reality, well it nearly professionalises it too much.

"It was a recreation beforehand and when I started doing Game of Thrones there was, I wouldn't say pressure, but perhaps the reality became too real for me."

He added, "I feel slightly ungrateful because I'm in a position that, as you said, a lot of people would like to be in, but I guess I'll just have to be ungrateful for the time being."

Gleeson also spoke about his work for charity GOAL on last night's show and revealed that he doesn't actually watch Game of Thrones himself. "I don't tend to, it's bizarre when you see those clips, you tend to abstract yourself from the creepiness of it when you're playing it, so to see it on television, it sends a shiver down my spine."
Old 04-14-14, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ellen got a GoT hashtag trending this morning:

@TheEllenShow

Everyone's so excited about Game of Thrones, I think I wanna start watching. Can anyone catch me up really quick? #SoFarOnGameOfThrones
Old 04-14-14, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Nope. A fair guess though.
Well....

Spoiler:
...he was an accomplice in it. That's how he knows to get Sansa out of there. If it plays out similarly on the TV show, the poison will have been hidden in one of the jewels of the necklace he gave her (a hairnet in the book), and then taken off by Lady Owlyene, and slipped into Joff's wine. If you re-watch the episode, you'll see Owlyene admire the necklace while talking to Sansa, and the last place Joffery's cup was parked on a table before Tyrion gives it to him for a final drink, was right near her.
Old 04-14-14, 12:42 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Sepinwall I think mentioned that he wants to get out of the acting business completely, does not enjoy it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.