TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead -- "Claimed" -- 2/23/14

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- "Claimed" -- 2/23/14

Originally Posted by Gizmo
That whole 'under the bed' subplot was boring. I'd much rather see the misadventures of Carl again.

There was an interview with Rick on Talking Dead and he talked about the point of that scene. He pretty much says that the scenes show that anyone who has survived a year and half after the apocalypse is probably ruthless and there are very few 'good' people out there. If you look at how all the characters on Walking Dead have changed (including Carol) they have all went down that dark road and aren't afraid to kill anyone to save themselves.

If you look at through our lens (pre-apocalypse) and why can't strangers get along who find an empty house, but now these people will kill someone or hurt someone just to sleep in a bed. Rick was in danger and probably would have been killed if he were found, and that something more about the world they live in now.
Old 02-24-14, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
I had the same thought as you. It's the f'ing zombie apocalypse! Classified my ass. I would have beat the answer out of him. I had to go read the comic version of that character before I could at least accept his classified response.
I'm going to guess that Abraham would have won that fight with you

As far as not digging further, I thought Glenn was too busy caring about Maggie's whereabouts then to wonder if they were telling the truth. At that point I imagine most people's reactions would be skeptical anyway.
Old 02-24-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
I had the same thought as you. It's the f'ing zombie apocalypse! Classified my ass. I would have beat the answer out of him. I had to go read the comic version of that character before I could at least accept his classified response.
The biggest problem is that no one called him out on it or asked him more questions. His character could want to be the hero, could be lying, or he could just be unable to explain it to someone without a scientific background, etc, and that would be a reasonable explanation. No one else asking questions and just accepting "it's classified" isn't reasonable though.
Old 02-24-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder in Eugene's claims will be disputed once they get with Rick - since Rick has the CDC situation to go by - Eugene might be caught in a lie.
Old 02-24-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

at the scientist with the mullet

I liked the scenes with Cudlitz as Abraham. He definitely fits the character from everything I've heard about him.

Didn't care for the scenes with Rick playing hide and go seek against Jeff Kober's crew.

So far, I do like the dynamics of the show with everyone being separated and having to tell separate stories. The show doesn't feel as busy when they were all cluttered together at the prison.
Old 02-24-14, 01:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

For those complaining about Eugene's "I'm smarter than you" line, remember that he has been with Abraham for some undetermined amount of time. Even though WE just met them, they didn't just meet each other. And it's clear that Abraham is 100% dedicated to this mission, so he'll take his shit without question.
Old 02-24-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I haven't read the comics, so this is my complete speculation. Eugene will end up being a guy that was fairly smart but had some menial job (the mullet gives that away) before the zombies. He came across some sort of vital information about the reasons behind the zombies and is closely guarding that secret to give himself some sort of power. A recurring theme in The Walking Dead is how people attempt to reinvent themselves after the apocalypse.
Old 02-24-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good episode. I'm really liking this half of the season. It would be great if the guys in the house were the same ones who took out that camp the Governor's crew found. I always thought that was just left hanging out there. If that has been talked about in spoilers I didn't read any. Just my own thought.
Old 02-24-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is the guy in the bedroom just unconcious? I was wondering why he never turned...
Old 02-24-14, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Krayzie
So is the guy in the bedroom just unconcious? I was wondering why he never turned...
Same here. I was waiting for him to turn when Rick was still under the bed.
Old 02-24-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=I don't think any of the survivors would know if there was still a government or not, would they?[/QUOTE]

Trust me, you would know if there was still a government. The easiest way to tell if there is a government is to ask when you last paid taxes. Since they haven't paid taxes for a couple of years, there is no government. And even if there was a tiny fragment of what "HAD BEEN" the US government left somewhere in the US, the fact that they are assuredly not protecting the former citizens means that the "government" has relinquished its rights to call itself that.
Old 02-24-14, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MScottM
Trust me, you would know if there was still a government. The easiest way to tell if there is a government is to ask when you last paid taxes. Since they haven't paid taxes for a couple of years, there is no government. And even if there was a tiny fragment of what "HAD BEEN" the US government left somewhere in the US, the fact that they are assuredly not protecting the former citizens means that the "government" has relinquished its rights to call itself that.
Right
Old 02-24-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I haven't read the comics, so this is my complete speculation. Eugene will end up being a guy that was fairly smart but had some menial job (the mullet gives that away) before the zombies. He came across some sort of vital information about the reasons behind the zombies and is closely guarding that secret to give himself some sort of power. A recurring theme in The Walking Dead is how people attempt to reinvent themselves after the apocalypse.
While on the face of it your arguement sounds good, the logical flaw is this, you can't keep a secret like this all to yourself and have any power because to keep it to yourself means that you have not demonstrated that you do in fact have the knowledge. You would have to share at least some of it to show what you know.

That is akin to the idea when you are a little kid to make a wish for all of the money in the world. So now you have all of the money but what is it worth at that point? People have got to buy and sell stuff to survive and if you have "all of the money" then they will just invent different money/means of trade to keep commerce moving. And what you have, since you are the only one that has it, would be worthless.

And so the next logical step is, you have information that may save lives, you keep information until it is advantageous to you to share it, you run into a group/organisation that agrees to give you what you want (power/position/goods) to share the information. You share the information and it proves correct. They then execute you for withholding vital information that could have saved thousands if you have shared it earlier.

Knowledge is power, power to the people.
Old 02-24-14, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

I think he was still visibly breathing/eyes moving so I went with unconscious.
Old 02-24-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
Same here. I was waiting for him to turn when Rick was still under the bed.
yep, I was waiting for it too .... would have been more interesting with Rick confronted with being stuck under the bed with a zombie lurching for him trying not to be noticed by the guy above

and yet another thing that bothered me about this episode (beside the opening where Ford gets not once droplet of blood on him after bashing in multiple walkers) was when Rick lowers himself down from the roof and doesn't even wince in pain despite having ribs that are still healing from being broken or fractured
Old 02-24-14, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
First, no one with a mullet can ever be considered smart. Secondly, Rick is quickly becoming a useless character.

Why do I get the feeling that Carl and Michonne will be the only two standing when the show ends?
Unless you are smart and know that dressing like a redneck might let you live longer then dressing like the physically worthless dork you are.
Old 02-24-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
yep, I was waiting for it too .... would have been more interesting with Rick confronted with being stuck under the bed with a zombie lurching for him trying not to be noticed by the guy above

and yet another thing that bothered me about this episode (beside the opening where Ford gets not once droplet of blood on him after bashing in multiple walkers) was when Rick lowers himself down from the roof and doesn't even wince in pain despite having ribs that are still healing from being broken or fractured
I was thinking he was dead too but then it looked like he was breathing so may be the other guy just put him to sleep with the sleeper hold.
Old 02-24-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I know many might think Chandler Riggs is a good actor but that performance last night was brutal.
His balls have dropped and made his voice irritating enough to make me want to punch my new TV.
Find Judith and remove Carl.Please.

I do like the new take on the episodes though. Much better to see what everyone is doing, separated, than watching them all get dirty is a prison doing nothing but hallucinating, getting a freak flu and tending to pigs.

I think I might want to read the comics up to this point just to see how much it differs although I sorta want to wait until the series is over. Maybe by that time they will be ported over to motion comics with audio ...
Old 02-24-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by MScottM
Trust me, you would know if there was still a government. The easiest way to tell if there is a government is to ask when you last paid taxes. Since they haven't paid taxes for a couple of years, there is no government.
Old 02-24-14, 03:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

ya Chandler Riggs needs to be replaced
Old 02-24-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I was thinking he was dead too but then it looked like he was breathing so may be the other guy just put him to sleep with the sleeper hold.
He was definitely not dead. He will be available to identify Rick in a later episode I'm quite sure.
Old 02-24-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by achau9598
I wonder in Eugene's claims will be disputed once they get with Rick - since Rick has the CDC situation to go by - Eugene might be caught in a lie.
Wasn't it confirmed (or heavily speculated) that the CDC guy told Rick that you turn no matter what when you die? It was either that or that his wife was pregnant.

I don't think the CDC guy told Rick how to solve this riddle... that said, I love the fact that there could be a long term cure. I think this show needs to determine an end point and work towards it instead of meddling from plot point to plot point ala Lost.
Old 02-24-14, 03:14 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
ya Chandler Riggs needs to be replaced
Michael B. Jordan can play his long-lost older brother "Lenny".
Old 02-24-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Passing by an REI would probably be handy for the Walking Dead crew I guess

That and REI would've been raped clean at this point in the story.

First places to be raided/looted in this kind of disaster and eventually cleaned out as time goes on:

Pawn Shops
Gun Shops
Police Stations
Pharmacies
Markets
REI and Sporting Goods type stores
Gas Stations
Liquor Stores
the list goes on....
Old 02-24-14, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Wasn't it confirmed (or heavily speculated) that the CDC guy told Rick that you turn no matter what when you die? It was either that or that his wife was pregnant.

I don't think the CDC guy told Rick how to solve this riddle... that said, I love the fact that there could be a long term cure. I think this show needs to determine an end point and work towards it instead of meddling from plot point to plot point ala Lost.

When they said Eugene knew what happened i was expecting Glenn to say something about Atlanta, the CDC, and what Rick told the group about this plague. He didn't....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.