Gotham (FOX): S: Ben McKenzie as Jim Gordon -- Coming this Fall

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Warner Bros. is working on a Gotham PD inspired television series

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/dann...series-gotham/

Danny Cannon was hired to Executive Produce and Direct the Pilot for "Gotham"

He directed the Pilot for CSI 14 years ago and was a staff director/producer for Nikita for the past 4 seasons. He's also been a guest director on many TV shows.
Old 01-07-14, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

So, will the same people who bitch and moan about Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Hemsworth not showing up on S.H.I.E.L.D. bitch and moan about Christian Bale and Gary Oldman not showing up on this?
Old 01-07-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

You mean bitch about Ben Affleck and Alex Trebek not showing up in this?
Old 01-08-14, 06:05 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
So, will the same people who bitch and moan about Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Hemsworth not showing up on S.H.I.E.L.D. bitch and moan about Christian Bale and Gary Oldman not showing up on this?
It's no longer being considered part of the Nolanverse it seems, so no.
Old 01-13-14, 02:35 PM

Fox president Kevin Reilly threw comic book fans a super bone on Monday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour by affirming that Gotham, its recently ordered series about the origins of oneday police commish James Gordon, will not only also follow a young Bruce Wayne’s journey to becoming Batman but feature iconic villains, as well.

Unlike other superhero shows, Reilly cryptically and gently snarked, that dance around the incorporation of popular names, “This is all of the classic Batman characters, with a young Bruce Wayne, the Penguin, the Riddler [and] how they came to be…. What events led up to [someone] becoming Catwoman…. all with Gotham teetering on the edge.”

Asked to expound on the presence of Bruce Wayne — a character heretofore declared basically untouchable by shows such as Smallville and Arrow — Reilly made clear: “We will arc a young Bruce Wayne from a child” of about 12 until whenever the series finale might be, at which point he “puts on the cape.”
Reilly explained to a small group of reporters after his executive presentation that Fox ponied up a “very healthy licensing fee” to secure “all of the underlying Batman rights for the entire franchise.” He added: “This is not some adjunct companion series. This is the Batman franchise, just backing it up [in chronology].”

Previously, it was only confirmed that Gotham, executive-produced and penned by The Mentalist‘s Bruno Heller and produced by Warner Bros. Television, would explore “the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon and the villains that made Gotham famous.”

“I’ve read the script,” Reilly added, “and it’s really good. It’s going to be this operatic soap that has a slightly larger-than-life quality.”

Writers room staffing on Gotham is set to begin sometime in February.
Old 01-13-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

sounds cool. love it.
Old 01-13-14, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unexpected, but very welcome!
Old 01-13-14, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

So 'Gotham' is the new 'Smallville.' Sounds good to me.
Old 02-08-14, 04:37 PM

“Gotham” has found its Detective James Gordon.

Fox and Warner Bros. TV have tapped Ben McKenzie to star in “Gotham,” casting the “Southland” alum as a young version of DC Comics’ famed Commissioner Gordon.

Fox topper Kevin Reilly announced at the net’s winter TCA session that “Gotham” will feature the origin story of Gordon along with Gotham City’s notable villains. A young Bruce Wayne will also be featured, as “Gotham” follows Wayne from his pre-teen years to the moment when it puts on the Batman cape for the first time.

Bruno Heller penned the pilot script for “Gotham,” which has a series commitment at Fox. He will exec produce with Danny Cannon, who also helmed the pilot.

McKenzie is no stranger to the Fox family, as the thesp landed his breakout role on the net’s sudsy drama “The O.C.” McKenzie also has experience working in the Batman universe, having voiced Bruce Wayne/Batman in 2011 animated pic “Batman: Year One.”

The actor is repped by CAA, Management 360 and PJ Shapiro, Ziffren and Brittenham.
Old 02-08-14, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ben McKenzie of Southland has been cast as Gordon
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/02/08/ben-mckenzie-gotham/
Old 02-08-14, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'll probably check it out but I kind of have mixed feelings on the young Bruce idea. I don't quite understand how it's going to work showing the villains off if they aren't really around yet since Batman isn't around. My only guess is that maybe they'll be their alter egos and showing them before they become supervillains. The idea sounds kind of hokey to me though honestly especially with a twelve year old Bruce. With the GCPD element it could be okay but basically another cop show with some references to some of the Batman mythos.

My idea for a series personally would be to take Bruce when he's a bit older (like early twenties or so) and show him travelling the world and training along the way and eventually leading to his becoming Batman. He could basically learn a new set of skills each season and get better at mastering them and take on villains but they wouldn't be any of the name villains that he would later face as Batman in Gotham obviously. So basically a storyline that would lead up to events similar to Year One.
Old 02-08-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Wow, that is interesting casting. I thought he always got overlooked on Southland. He was not nearly as good as some of the other cast, but he held his own.
Old 02-08-14, 05:27 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

love the casting... !
Old 02-08-14, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
My idea for a series personally would be to take Bruce when he's a bit older (like early twenties or so) and show him travelling the world and training along the way and eventually leading to his becoming Batman. He could basically learn a new set of skills each season and get better at mastering them and take on villains but they wouldn't be any of the name villains that he would later face as Batman in Gotham obviously. So basically a storyline that would lead up to events similar to Year One.
That is what the CW originally wanted before getting forced to go with Arrow. The movie division of Warner Bros. nixed that idea. I don't think we'll ever see an adult Batman on television ever again in live action.
Old 02-08-14, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So Year One Batman is now Year One Gordon.
Old 02-08-14, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So basically you want Smallville but with Batman?
Old 02-08-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099
So basically you want Smallville but with Batman?
Essentially yes but I honestly think a Batman series done that way could be a lot more interesting. Take out all the bullshit school drama that Smallville had and just focus on Bruce as a character. I've always loved the stories that tell of Bruce's training periods leading up to the events of Year One and the training sequences in Batman Begins were some of my favorite scenes in The Dark Knight Trilogy (or hell any Batman film to this point for that matter). The way I see it Bruce could be a traveler of sorts globetrotting and learning skills/helping people along the way.

Like I said earlier I truly don't understand the appeal of focusing on Bruce as a twelve year old kid. I just don't think that aspect is that interesting, I mean sure you could show a bit of the aftermath of his parents deaths and how he was effected by that but I think stuff like that works better as flashbacks. The idea of the show focusing on Gordon and the GCPD I still feel is a so-so idea too. I mean it could be okay but I have to think it's going to wind up just like any other crime procedural show out there only with Gotham as the setting and some of the characters.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-08-14 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-08-14, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Around the time of Smallville, wasn't there a similar "Young Bruce Wayne" type of series pitched?
Old 02-08-14, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Around the time of Smallville, wasn't there a similar "Young Bruce Wayne" type of series pitched?
Yeah that's what PhantomStranger mentioned too. I wasn't aware of it, I read up on it and apparently from the sounds of it the writers of the show originally wanted Smallville to be a different show that would have revolved around Bruce Wayne becoming Batman but Warner's film division axed the idea because they wanted to do a film instead (Batman Begins was the result obviously). Personally I think an origin like that for Bruce would have been a lot more interesting than for Clark. Then again I'm biased because I've always liked Batman way more than Superman.
Old 02-09-14, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I like the casting of McKenzie as Gordon. He was great on Southland and I'm glad he's getting a lead role post-Southland.

For those who are unaware, I believe McKenzie has a talent deal with Warner Bros, who produce this show. He previously worked with Bruno Heller, the developer of this project, on a CBS Pilot that didn't get picked up after Southland got cancelled.

The question is do you make him married with Barbara as a baby (or yet to be born) and do you start when he's single and maybe a young newly promoted detective?
Old 02-09-14, 03:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I don't think so, but if there was I don't remember it.

There was an animated series pitched called Gotham High which would be about Bruce and various villains in high school.

There was also a live-action series pitched called The Graysons which would be about young Dick at Haley's Circus.

Old 02-09-14, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I like the casting of McKenzie as Gordon. He was great on Southland and I'm glad he's getting a lead role post-Southland.

For those who are unaware, I believe McKenzie has a talent deal with Warner Bros, who produce this show. He previously worked with Bruno Heller, the developer of this project, on a CBS Pilot that didn't get picked up after Southland got cancelled.

The question is do you make him married with Barbara as a baby (or yet to be born) and do you start when he's single and maybe a young newly promoted detective?
I watched OC, but never saw Southland so I'm okay with the casting. Do hope acting abilities have broadened since OC though.

I'd say single - would allow for better character development, romance, casting, etc.
Old 02-09-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Hoping for the following lines in the first episode now:

"Welcome to the GC, bitch. This is how it's done in Gotham City."
Old 02-09-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by taffer
I don't think so, but if there was I don't remember it.
There was. I remember AICN going over the treatment one time. Bruce and Alfred were going to set up the bat cave by using buses with blacked out windows to bring in workers.

That's about all I remember.
Old 02-09-14, 10:07 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet Josh Gadd will play Penguin.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.