Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Gotham (FOX): S: Ben McKenzie as Jim Gordon -- Coming this Fall

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Gotham (FOX): S: Ben McKenzie as Jim Gordon -- Coming this Fall

If the reason for not having Batman and all the Villains is for budget reasons, why not do a 1 hour Animated drama? Are networks afraid to put up a serious Adult animated drama in Prime Time? I thought we were over this stigma that animation is just for kids?
Old 05-06-14, 06:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
If the reason for not having Batman and all the Villains is for budget reasons, why not do a 1 hour Animated drama? Are networks afraid to put up a serious Adult animated drama in Prime Time? I thought we were over this stigma that animation is just for kids?
I'm pretty sure a prime time animated drama would bomb no matter the subject matter.
Old 05-06-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mean, on one hand it has the Batman name appeal, so it should get a second season... On the other hand, it has Donal Logue.
Old 05-06-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure a prime time animated drama would bomb no matter the subject matter.
Bingo. I remember when they aired prime time episodes of Batman the animated series and they bombed in the ratings.
Old 05-06-14, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
We would be lucky if this shown is any where close to being as good.
Old 05-06-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Of course I am. SHIELD has been excellent the last couple months.
Old 05-07-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Bingo. I remember when they aired prime time episodes of Batman the animated series and they bombed in the ratings.
I remember those primetime episodes of BATS. I might be wrong, but I remember one of them was aired during a holiday.
Old 05-07-14, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Of course I am. SHIELD has been excellent the last couple months.
Yes, but they lost half their audience (including me) in the process of getting there. I don't have the patience anymore to watch a new series for more than three or four episodes in the hope that it MAY get better. I'm in the camp now that if it's good enough to get renewed, I'll binge-watch over the summer...maybe.
Old 05-07-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Precisely. There's still the last 6 episodes of Shield up on ABC. I could watch those, but I have a hard time believing they were able to fix everything. I can see writing improving and even production values, but you're still stuck with cookie cutter characters portrayed by horrible actors.

I'm also of the mind that easter eggs and tying into the MCU is neat, but shouldn't be a crutch to draw in viewers. The show should stand on its own. I shouldn't have to watch a dozen movies and know decades of comics lore just to enjoy a 45 minute tv show once a week.
Old 05-07-14, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

We don't need to rehash the problems with Agents of Shield early on, but it doesn't change the fact that it is in fact an excellent show right now and i'd say everyone that's watching still would agree with me. Plenty of reviews and articles online that are on board too. Like I said, we would be lucky if Gotham is anywhere near as good as that show is right now. Unless you've seen the last 10 episodes or so, your assumptions aren't enough to really judge otherwise.

And i'd say the show does stand on its own, there's no need to know lore and movies like Winter Soldier just enhance the viewing experience, not anywhere close to being a crutch. I've never really even heard that as a common complaint.

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-07-14 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fair enough. I'll give it another shot.
Old 05-07-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do we really need another prequel series? And, after canceling Almost Human, does FOX expect us to give this a chance?
Old 05-08-14, 12:59 PM

Received 4,685 Likes on 3,173 Posts

'Gotham' showrunner breaks silence, answers burning questions on Batman prequel -- EXCLUSIVE: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/08/gotham-interview/
Old 05-08-14, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Some of his replies seem a little overconfident, but I guess it's nice that he's that sure of himself and the product.

Although I have to chuckle a little at this line given the conversation over in Movie Talk about Nolan and his 'contempt for the character and medium'

One of the great things about the Batman world is [the characters] have no super powers. Nobody flies or leaps over buildings.
Old 05-08-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,718 Likes on 2,672 Posts

Interesting Heller says it will be serialized. That's good.
Old 05-08-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Just to touch on AGENTS OF SHIELD for one more moment... I absolutely *loathed* it for the first, say, 6-7 episodes. It just kept on being shit. I tuned back in about 2 weeks before Winter Soldier and was surprised to find it... good. Real good. Not GREAT, but really good. It still has some issues that can be cleaned up next season, but I'd advise those who tuned it to check out episode guides for the 12 episodes or so and come in then. You might be surprised

It ain't ARROW good, but it's good
Old 05-08-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,171 Likes on 913 Posts

The Entertainment Weekly interview is interesting. I like that Heller seems to have his shit together and has an actual plan for Gotham. In some ways though he does come off a bit arrogant in thinking his version is going to be the best ever or something.
Old 05-08-14, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
The Entertainment Weekly interview is interesting. I like that Heller seems to have his shit together and has an actual plan for Gotham. In some ways though he does come off a bit arrogant in thinking his version is going to be the best ever or something.
What's he supposed to say though? "No way we can ever be as good as some of the movies because we only have a 12-year-old Bruce Wayne. Hope people watch regardless."?

If you're not going to aim for the fences, don't play.
Old 05-08-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madcougar
What's he supposed to say though? "No way we can ever be as good as some of the movies because we only have a 12-year-old Bruce Wayne. Hope people watch regardless."?

If you're not going to aim for the fences, don't play.
I understand that but even so. He could have stated it a bit differently than he did. It's cool that he's confident about it but that doesn't mean that he should start undermining versions that came along before his and acting like he's the best ever or something. Just came off a bit big headed to me.
Old 05-08-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,718 Likes on 2,672 Posts

I understand that but even so. He could have stated it a bit differently than he did. It's cool that he's confident about it but that doesn't mean that he should start undermining versions that came along before his and acting like he's the best ever or something. Just came off a bit big headed to me.
This is the guy who was the creator and showrunner for Rome on HBO, which was one of the most expensive and elaborate shows on TV. I think we should give him a little more credit that he would have his shit together.
Old 05-08-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
This is the guy who was the creator and showrunner for Rome on HBO, which was one of the most expensive and elaborate shows on TV. I think we should give him a little more credit that he would have his shit together.
I like some of his ideas and I like that the series will be serialized. He seems to have a good sense of where he wants to take the series long term. I just think the way he's coming across in that interview it's almost like he feels Gotham is going to be the be all end all for Batman or something. Like I said it's fine to have confidence in your project and I did like Rome, but he still comes off a bit big headed.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-08-14 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-08-14, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

I like some of his ideas and I like that the series will be serialized. He seems to have a good sense of where he wants to take the series long term. I just think the way he's coming across in that interview it's almost like he feels Gotham is going to be the be all end all for Batman or something. Like I said it's fine to have confidence in your project and I did like Rome, but he still comes off a bit big headed.
I didn't get that vibe from him at all. He has a definite vision, and his ideas of how to incorporate that vision into the overall Batman (here comes the word I hate again) "mythology", but I don't see how he came across as "big headed", or how his Batman was the definitive one.

The definitive one is STILL All-Star Batman & Robin.
Old 05-08-14, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 189 Likes on 132 Posts

Mike is determined to hate this more than I hate the ASM franchise.
Old 05-08-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Interesting Heller says it will be serialized. That's good.
Especially considering how many people have already written it off because they think it's a procedural set in the Batman universe.
Old 05-08-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 840 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
'Gotham' showrunner breaks silence, answers burning questions on Batman prequel -- EXCLUSIVE: http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/08/gotham-interview/
I really don't like many of the answers given in this interview, it's clear the guy was hired since he was coming off another procedural in The Mentalist (which wasn't even a great example in that genre).

Rome was mildly entertaining for the graphic sex and violence, but those will have to be toned down on Fox.

I expect the network to be making a lot of the real decisions involved, this is a big project and meant to be a cornerstone of their schedule for the next several years. Expect a lot of changes on the fly if early ratings start disappointing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.