TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

King Of The Nerds - TBS

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-14, 08:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: King Of The Nerds - TBS

Originally Posted by TheKing
I like that the guy on the purple team pointed out that the asian guy shaving his head was kind of a waste as the judges would have no idea he had hair the night before.

Also, Pirates Dinner Theater is in Buena Park, not Anaheim. Sheesh. Well, at least they acknowledged it wasn't in Los Angeles, so that's a start.
Same area code!
Old 02-10-14, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The producers likely knew that when casting him, reality shows always insert one or two extremely volatile personalities to up the drama. I'm probably going to stop watching, his antics are tough to stomach. A shame because this was one of my favorite shows last year.
With zero eye candy, I'm literally fast forwarding to the last 10 minutes just to see who gets voted off.
Old 02-10-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
So yes, they've truly found nerds for this season. Last season it was (fairly) normal, social people, who just happen to have an interest in science, science-fiction, fantasy, comics, games, etc. Now they've found self-absorbed, anti-social losers who have to resort to things like sci-fi and gaming because no one else wants to be around them.
I couldn't agree with this statement more. It's a big reason, to me anyhow, that there really hasn't been anything "fun" happening this year. Not sure if I'll stick with this one.
Old 02-10-14, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I don't know, the cast seemed pretty nerdy in the first season and nerdy once again in the second season. They did find a couple of scientist types for season two that seem fairly cut-off from normal interests. The big miss on this season was not including one or two obsessive comic book types, though it's possible they wanted to cut out the licensing fees or clearance rights.
Old 02-14-14, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Zack is unkillable

That robot was freakin cool.
Old 02-14-14, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice to see some of the season 1 nerds back as zombies. And yeah, the robot was great.

As someone who played kerplunk as a kid, I couldn't understand why they were grabbing from the bottom so late in the game. There seemed to be much safer picks up top.
Old 02-14-14, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Does anybody else find it suspicious that the Robotics girl from the purple team was transferred to the gold team right before the robot challenge?

Without her, it was doubtful the gold team could have constructed a robot for the challenge. She was ordered to select first from the bag, and she pulled out the losing gold coin. I wonder if all the coins in that bag were gold!
Old 02-14-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Does anybody else find it suspicious that the Robotics girl from the purple team was transferred to the gold team right before the robot challenge?

Without her, it was doubtful the gold team could have constructed a robot for the challenge. She was ordered to select first from the bag, and she pulled out the losing gold coin. I wonder if all the coins in that bag were gold!
Are you implying that the show may be rigged?! Impossible!
Old 02-14-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by madcougar
Are you implying that the show may be rigged?! Impossible!
Aren't these reality competition shows bound by the same legal regulations as regular game shows?

The circumstances seem "too good to be true," so I do truly wonder if that whole thing was rigged, but that would be SO illegal, so would they risk doing it?
Old 02-14-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

They didn't rig the outcome though. And the gold team still lost. I think they just realized that gold wouldn't have a chance in hell as they were, and so figured a way for them to move Katie to that team. Also, they try to keep the number of participants balanced (often one player has to "sit out" a challenge if there's a man advantage), and a 5 on 3 situation wouldn't make good television.

By the way, was there a restriction on the velocity they could put on the dodgeballs they threw, or were those nerds just truly incapable of throwing a ball? Oh, and how the hell do you hot glue your FACE?
Old 02-14-14, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They didn't rig the outcome though. And the gold team still lost. I think they just realized that gold wouldn't have a chance in hell as they were, and so figured a way for them to move Katie to that team. Also, they try to keep the number of participants balanced (often one player has to "sit out" a challenge if there's a man advantage), and a 5 on 3 situation wouldn't make good television.
It's unfortunate this question has come up in this little seen thread because it is interesting (at least to me).

The Gold Team keeps losing and having to send players home. Making Katie change teams makes sense for the game, but it also increases her personal likelihood of losing the game.

I don't watch enough of these reality competition shows to know, but wouldn't forcing a specific player (not a randomly chosen player) to do something that puts them at a clear disadvantage be unfair and probably illegal?

This is kind of a more obvious hypothetical: Last years winner was a Rubik's Cube champion. Could the show have used a Rubik's Cube challenge that she would obviously win?
Old 02-14-14, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since a cash prize is involved, the producers can't directly rig any game for an individual contestant. It has to be a fair contest. But there are no regulations on them picking challenges that heavily favor one contestant over another. We see it all the time on reality television. Probably the most notorious example is CBS's Big Brother, the producers are well known for picking contests to get their desired outcome in the course of the game.
Old 02-17-14, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hate for Zack on the show's Facebook page is entertaining.
Old 02-17-14, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This show is weak for evening out the teams two episodes in... Have backup challenges planned for only three people, allowing two to sit out. The winning/superior team shouldn't be punished for being... good. Definitely not just two episodes in. And considering the odds are you'll have 5 versus 3 instead of both teams rotating losses starting off, you should anticipate that it won't be an even match for the third episodes challenge.

That said, I'm at least enjoying the show and cast more now that we've gotten to 'know' them better. Definitely far more than I ever imagined after the first episode - this cast sucks compared to last year, but they still make for an enjoyable hour of television.
Old 02-21-14, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn. The only one that could be considered eye candy is gone. And after we saw a photo of her in the Princess Leia gold bikini.

Zack was right. Jack committed suicide by admitting in the debate he'd never seen Star Wars nor Star Trek.
Old 02-21-14, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Zack was right. Jack committed suicide by admitting in the debate he'd never seen Star Wars nor Star Trek.
The people casting this season did a wretched job. How would someone that had never seen either Star Trek or Star Wars make it in the cast? How did Jack avoid both franchises his entire life, did he grow up on the Moon? Was it a stunt knowing this challenge was coming up?

Through the magic of the DVR, I was able to watch this episode in about ten minutes. This show is not worth much more than that amount of time now each week.
Old 02-21-14, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How desperate are those people from Revenge of the Nerds for a paycheck, that they would show up to eat some of the world's shittiest pizza with these people?
Old 02-21-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Where were Anthony Edwards, Timothy Busfield and Ted McGinley?
Old 02-21-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by windom
Where were Anthony Edwards, Timothy Busfield and Ted McGinley?
and John Goodman and Bernie Casey
Old 02-21-14, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't believe I'm saying this... but I almost hope Zach wins.
Old 02-22-14, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The people casting this season did a wretched job. How would someone that had never seen either Star Trek or Star Wars make it in the cast? How did Jack avoid both franchises his entire life, did he grow up on the Moon? Was it a stunt knowing this challenge was coming up?
I actually like that they didn't cast people who know everything about all the typical nerdy subjects.
Old 02-22-14, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
I can't believe I'm saying this... but I almost hope Zach wins.
I'm waiting for Zach to suddenly scream "All of you! Come here! Touch it, just touch it. It's raw! The chicken is raw! You're going to kill somebody you f*cking donkey! You, you, you, you, GET OUT! SHUT IT DOWN!!!"
Old 02-24-14, 08:54 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was actually sort of happy to see her lose, just because of her spiel after Jack & Zach voted her to the nerd-off. Something like, "I tried to bond with this team but they never welcomed me in..." Bullshit... they were thrilled to have her - and even stuck with her through two prior nerd-off nominations, but she constantly bitched about the switch and never really hid the fact she'd rather be back with purple.
Old 02-24-14, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I was actually sort of happy to see her lose, just because of her spiel after Jack & Zach voted her to the nerd-off. Something like, "I tried to bond with this team but they never welcomed me in..." Bullshit... they were thrilled to have her - and even stuck with her through two prior nerd-off nominations, but she constantly bitched about the switch and never really hid the fact she'd rather be back with purple.
Well, it was only one previous nomination and, at that time, the yellow team was better off putting Zach in there because they knew purple wouldn't. They could pick off the weakest, non-purple-allegiant players.

Katie's downfall in the spelling bee was keeping her hands at her sides or behind her back during the buzzer section. Kashyyyk would have been hers by a mile if she didn't have that distance to race Jack.
Old 02-24-14, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Katie's downfall in the spelling bee was keeping her hands at her sides or behind her back during the buzzer section. Kashyyyk would have been hers by a mile if she didn't have that distance to race Jack.
I was actually thinking the same thing. Why not just hoover over the buzzer?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.