TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Power Rangers: Megaforce (2013)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-13, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Power Rangers: Megaforce (2013)

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
I'll say. He's helming this year's sentai series, Jyuden Sentai Kyoryuger. Quite the promotion, going from helping the knockoff to running the original.
Actually, he started doing stunts in various direct-to-video stuff and got contracted out to do the "Battle Grid" sequences in one of Saban's other toku-adapts, VR Troopers. They were impressed enough that they gave him the job of stunt choreographer and second unit direct from Jeff Pruit and Issac Florentine halfway through MMPR's second season. He stayed on and formed Alpha Stunts; doing increasingly elaborate stuff. Around the time Judd Lynn became showrunner, Sakamoto was promoted to a full-time producer. He also directed a number of episodes. Once Disney picked up the franchise and moved production to New Zealand, he stopped directing and choreographing but continued in his capacity as one of the producers all the way to RPM's last day. Once Saban picked up the franchise again for Samurai, he was no longer a producer, but came back as action choreographer. He's apparently doing some pretty big-time tokusatsu stuff in Japan, so I imagine he won't be returning to Power Rangers ever again, sadly. With him, Judd, and Jackie gone, it just doesn't feel like PR.
Old 02-05-13, 01:13 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Actually, he started doing stunts in various direct-to-video stuff and got contracted out to do the "Battle Grid" sequences in one of Saban's other toku-adapts, VR Troopers. They were impressed enough that they gave him the job of stunt choreographer and second unit direct from Jeff Pruit and Issac Florentine halfway through MMPR's second season. He stayed on and formed Alpha Stunts; doing increasingly elaborate stuff. Around the time Judd Lynn became showrunner, Sakamoto was promoted to a full-time producer. He also directed a number of episodes. Once Disney picked up the franchise and moved production to New Zealand, he stopped directing and choreographing but continued in his capacity as one of the producers all the way to RPM's last day. Once Saban picked up the franchise again for Samurai, he was no longer a producer, but came back as action choreographer. He's apparently doing some pretty big-time tokusatsu stuff in Japan, so I imagine he won't be returning to Power Rangers ever again, sadly. With him, Judd, and Jackie gone, it just doesn't feel like PR.
There wasn't really a need to recap Sakamoto's history for me. I used to run the PR fan club.

Sakamoto also wrote "Countdown to Destruction." It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that he, Marchand and Lynn were responsible for the show's best seasons (Space - TF).

Sadly, Marchand was fired during RPM and Lynn was never hired on for Samurai, so I could give less of a damn about PR nowadays.

He's apparently doing some pretty big-time tokusatsu stuff in Japan
And as I said, there's no "apparently" about it. He is in charge of this year's sentai series. Even if he wanted to come back, that's a full-time job.
Old 02-05-13, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
There wasn't really a need to recap Sakamoto's history for me. I used to run the PR fan club.
How can I be expected to know this .

Sakamoto also wrote "Countdown to Destruction." It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that he, Marchand and Lynn were responsible for the show's best seasons (Space - TF).
Oh, absolutely, a golden age, PR's never even come close to being that good again (Though I've heard RPM does.).

Sadly, Marchand was fired during RPM and Lynn was never hired on for Samurai, so I could give less of a damn about PR nowadays.
I don't get why Saban didn't hire her back, it sounds like Disney were the ones who fired her. Lynn allegedly said he wanted to be head-writer and steer the season and not just be a gun-for-hire. Without Lynn, Marchand and Sakamoto, PR just isn't the same. This first episode did drop a reference to Zordon? Cool! Sadly, nostalgia is about all the first episode has to offer. The Command Center is furnished with...action figures?! Your budget is showing! Well, at least they realize this season is an anniversary and are trying to do something for fans, it's appreciated anyway. I'm guessing all of the battle stuff was Sentai footage?, hopefully we'll get some US stuff this season and not just irritating carbons of the Japanese series. Akirho Noguchi, AKA Yuji Sakei, is apparently the last Alpha Stunts alum standing, he still works as a second unit on Samurai and this new series, and directed a few episodes of Samurai. Whether they'll import any toku directors like Ryuta Tasaki back in LG/LR remains to be seen, though I believe some toku stuff is now shot in New Zealand concurrently with PR, so maybe it's possible. No idea what happened to Makoto Yokoyama. Hopefully they will though, it'd be a nice change of pace if there was actually some American footage. Most of the unmorphed fights were pretty weak (although apparently teleportation is back for the first time since PRIS), hopefully they'll improve, I miss when the show had real martial artists and cool stunts back in the Alpha days, no disrespect to Mark Harris. I didn't see an "action choreographer" credit this time though, maybe I missed it. Obviously they couldn't do the actually suits like they did with the Power Chamber in Zeo, but the action figures couldn't help but look really cheap. Hopefully there will be more and better nods to the past to come. We shall see. Hopefully Nick will continue to stream the episodes on their website as well.

And as I said, there's no "apparently" about it. He is in charge of this year's sentai series. Even if he wanted to come back, that's a full-time job.
I know he is, presumably he'll be helming future toku stuff after this Sentai series is over as well, I'd have to imagine he has a much better paycheck for that than anything on PR. I think he worked on one of the Kamen Rider series at one point too. Is he directing every episode of Kyoryuger, or is he showrunner? Sounds like his job is quite substantial.
Old 02-05-13, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I know he is, presumably he'll be helming future toku stuff after this Sentai series is over as well, I'd have to imagine he has a much better paycheck for that than anything on PR. I think he worked on one of the Kamen Rider series at one point too. Is he directing every episode of Kyoryuger, or is he showrunner? Sounds like his job is quite substantial.
Yup, he directed Kamen Rider Fourze, which was last year's Kamen series. According to reports, he'll be the director and showrunner for Kyoryuger.
Old 02-07-13, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,530 Posts

Well, the "action figures" are really ranger keys, which will be very important when they adapt Gokaiger next year (which I assume will be a second season of Megaforce with either a second or updated team). So they're not just cheap looking toys for the sake of decoration.
Old 10-27-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Not sure how many venture into the dvd section of this forum:

http://toybox.io9.com/the-true-power...59/+rtgonzalez

The true Power Rangers are coming to the West for the first time ever

If you were a child of the 90's, looking at the picture above will probably elicit the response of 'Yeah, Power Rangers!' - but you're only kinda-sorta right. These are really the Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger, and they're making their way to the west for the very first time.

Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger was the 16th Super Sentai show in Japan - you can read more about the genre's development, and Marvel's role in it, here - but American audiences will recognise them as the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

Zyuranger was made in 1992, when Saban and Toei brought the idea over to the west they decided to use the Giant Robot and combat sequences from Zyuranger as the basis for a new western adaptation. The original Sentai - Legendary human warriors from a time when Dinosaurs and Humanity lived in harmony (hence the Dino-themed Zords), who were awoken from suspended animation to fight the evil Rita Repulsa Bandora - were replaced by the American 'teenagers with attitude' we came to know and love, but aside from that, MMPR's first series featured scenes and combat sequences from all 50 episodes of Zyuranger spliced in. So while MMPR fans are familiar with the series in a certain way, they've never had the chance to see the original show as it was intended, until now.

Shout Factory will be putting out the complete series on DVD, although there's no current release date revealed there is this box art that they revealed on their Tumblr, depicting the original heroes Geki, Goushi, Dan, Boi and Mei as well as their more familiar appearances in their Sentai suits. The box art seems to imply that they'll be bringing more Super Sentai series to the west, but I guess it makes sense to kick it all off with the series that truly introduced the concept to mainstream US audiences.

It might be the Nostalgia talking, but we might have got the better opening song. Or at least, the most nineties one.
Old 10-27-14, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That link seems to be broken.

I love Super Sentai, and I try to watch the current seasons of both Super Sentai and Kamen Rider when they come out. But I usually lose interest about halfway through because it's so episodic and repetitive (in this respect, I find Kamen Rider to be a bit better). Of course, they're shows for kids, so it's to be expected, but I wonder how this release will do.
Old 10-27-14, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Not sure how many venture into the dvd section of this forum:

If you were a child of the 90's, looking at the picture above will probably elicit the response of 'Yeah, Power Rangers!' - but you're only kinda-sorta right. These are really the Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger, and they're making their way to the west for the very first time.

Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger was the 16th Super Sentai show in Japan - you can read more about the genre's development, and Marvel's role in it, here - but American audiences will recognise them as the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

Zyuranger was made in 1992, when Saban and Toei brought the idea over to the west they decided to use the Giant Robot and combat sequences from Zyuranger as the basis for a new western adaptation. The original Sentai - Legendary human warriors from a time when Dinosaurs and Humanity lived in harmony (hence the Dino-themed Zords), who were awoken from suspended animation to fight the evil Rita Repulsa Bandora - were replaced by the American 'teenagers with attitude' we came to know and love, but aside from that, MMPR's first series featured scenes and combat sequences from all 50 episodes of Zyuranger spliced in. So while MMPR fans are familiar with the series in a certain way, they've never had the chance to see the original show as it was intended, until now.

Shout Factory will be putting out the complete series on DVD, although there's no current release date revealed there is this box art that they revealed on their Tumblr, depicting the original heroes Geki, Goushi, Dan, Boi and Mei as well as their more familiar appearances in their Sentai suits. The box art seems to imply that they'll be bringing more Super Sentai series to the west, but I guess it makes sense to kick it all off with the series that truly introduced the concept to mainstream US audiences.

It might be the Nostalgia talking, but we might have got the better opening song. Or at least, the most nineties one.
Will it be dubbed or in Japanese with subs.? (Hopefully the latter.)

I have several dozen episodes of Zyuranger on VHS in Japanese with no translation. I'd buy the whole series if it was subbed.
Old 10-28-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Will it be dubbed or in Japanese with subs.? (Hopefully the latter.)

I have several dozen episodes of Zyuranger on VHS in Japanese with no translation. I'd buy the whole series if it was subbed.
Without even looking at the solicit, it's gotta be the latter. It's cheaper, plus they'd completely alienate the people who would buy this if they dubbed it with no original language with subs option.

Now if they released Dynaman with the dubs that aired on USA, I'd be kinda interested.
Old 10-28-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Fixed link