Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "The Ghost of Harrenhal" -- 4/29/12

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Game of Thrones -- "The Ghost of Harrenhal" -- 4/29/12

Maybe just PM someone you know is a book reader. I'd be happy to answer stuff.
Old 05-01-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
Maybe just PM someone you know is a book reader. I'd be happy to answer stuff.
Good idea. Thanks!
Old 05-01-12, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We again need the mods to come in, make separate threads and guidelines and then enforce rules, maybe make a thread with poll options on the format. Thing is, we are half way through the season. Not sure if it's worth the hassle
Old 05-01-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by abrg923
But again, if I take that question to the spoiler thread, I'm going to see all kinds of things that maybe I don't want to know. Maybe we who ask those questions should state, as I have before, "Please put in spoiler tags". That might help.
Good point. Tough to ignore all of the other spoilers while looking for a response to your question. starman9000 has a solution, though your question and the answer aren't shared with others who might have the same question or don't care about spoilers.

To address your concern, I would say to ask, "If it hasn't been explained yet, please don't spoil it for me".
I would think that is the standing rule for any question in the weekly episode threads.

By the way, Harrenhal is the city where Arya and Tywin are currently at. Not a spoiler, since it's in the opening credits for the past two episodes.

Mostly I responded to all this because it ocurred to me how awesome the impact of the Renly assassination was having had no idea it was coming. Yes, I knew the vag-monster was not created to deliver a candygram, but you get the point.
Old 05-01-12, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Also, I think Tywin respects intelligence, with Arya obviously has. I think he asked her an honest question and expected an honest response. Juxtaposed with his frustration with his council.
Exactly what I thought. Despite the implications that the audience can read into that scene, in no way did Tywin feel remotely threatened by a young girl. If anything, he just reflected on what she said personally without once assuming that she was actually threatening him.

And Tywin definitely respects intelligence given that he made his imp son the Hand of the King. Few others would've promoted a dwarf to such a role, no matter how smart, yet Tywin seemed to know Tyrion was the best person he had available to him to appoint to that role in his own place.
Old 05-01-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Mostly I responded to all this because it ocurred to me how awesome the impact of the Renly assassination was having had no idea it was coming. Yes, I knew the vag-monster was not created to deliver a candygram, but you get the point.
Yeah, I figured maybe it'd lay waste to half of Renly's army or something like that...I had no idea it'd just *poof* and kill him like that. That blew me away.
Old 05-01-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I figured maybe it'd lay waste to half of Renly's army or something like that...I had no idea it'd just *poof* and kill him like that. That blew me away.
Not to mention right near the beginning of the episode. You kind of brace yourself 45 minutes in, but that was a real "Whoa!" moment. Not quite as big as the Ned Stark execution, but up there.
Old 05-01-12, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Man, aside from a few posters these threads FUCKING SUCK.

So much bitching. I didn't read the books... whatever. Don't even open the goddamn threads if you don't want to get spoiled.

I realize this will be a constant point of contention for some, but, really, if it's such an aggravation then just avoid the threads.
Old 05-01-12, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal

So much bitching. I didn't read the books... whatever. Don't even open the goddamn threads if you don't want to get spoiled.

I realize this will be a constant point of contention for some, but, really, if it's such an aggravation then just avoid the threads.
Self-control. On the Internet? Sir, you are delusional.

If only there was a website linked several times that collected all the show information into some sort of wiki without spoiling from the books where cautious people could safely peruse. If only...
Old 05-01-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC

We know who Arya is and what she's feeling, but Tywin doesn't.
And, from Tywin's point of view, when she said "Anyone can be killed," as far as he knew she was talking about Robb Stark. Of course we, the audience, know that Arya Stark was making a threat toward Tywin and the other Lannisters, and the way she said it was enough to put Tywin on edge, but not perceive a threat from the girl.
Old 05-01-12, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I always find the "honor" argument silly. So what you are saying is that it is more honorable to fight a protracted battle with his army and his brother's armies killing hundreds of people likely on both sides, than it is to just kill the one person that actually matters?

That is just silly. In my view what Stannis did is more honorable.
Really?! Ignoring the supernatural part, in what society in the history of time has sending an assassin to stab someone in the back ever been considered "honorable" ?
Old 05-01-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

All this talk of Honor. That's Sansa talk!
Old 05-01-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Out of curiosity, was there an abundance of redheaded women in the dark ages (don't exactly know when this takes place in the grand scale of things)? Seems like all fantasy epics have them in abundance, and this is no exception. Can't find that many nowadays.
Old 05-01-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Abundance of redheaded women? Sansa and Melisandre are all I can think of. I know nothing of any others.
Old 05-01-12, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Ros.
Old 05-01-12, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred
I can't tell what you're implying here. A Clash of Kings is the second book in the series in case you thought he was referencing the 3rd book. If you think having a lot of chapters in this series means you'll live to the next book, you should ask Ned Stark and his 15 chapters how that worked out.
Another stupid me moment.
Old 05-01-12, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
Self-control. On the Internet? Sir, you are delusional.

If only there was a website linked several times that collected all the show information into some sort of wiki without spoiling from the books where cautious people could safely peruse. If only...
I don't think people just want information they want to have dialogue about the show, the problem is when half of the posters are book readers you can't really join in the speculation
Old 05-01-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I don't think people just want information they want to have dialogue about the show, the problem is when half of the posters are book readers you can't really join in the speculation

The book readers know where the story is ultimately going but do not know how it will be presented each week -- that's what makes these discussions difficult.

We need to endeavor to keep the discussion to the current episode and enjoy this series as it continues to unfold.
Old 05-02-12, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if it's such an aggravation then just avoid the threads.
lol
Old 05-02-12, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I also don't think there was any "cenobite" looking woman speaking with Ser Jorah.
thought it was funny after the appearance of that character my wife goes "that was weird" ..... for the first time in the entire series, as if there wasn't anything weird up until that point

all I kept thinking was ....

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Harrenhal is rumored to be haunted, but Ja'qun Harquar and Arya are the ghosts, killing who they desire.

BTW, I'm under the assumption, because my detailed memory of the books is fuzzy after all these years, that Ja'qun did not HAVE to be a Lannister man, but CHOSE to become a Lannister so he can find Arya and they together can pay back the red god the debt of three lives they owe him.
the best part of it all is Tywin questioning Arya on the houses/sigil/words and the irony of Ja'qun now being a Lannister man and using the words of the Lannisters to the benefit of Arya
Old 05-02-12, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I've come to learn that it's best to avoid this thread until a few days later after most of the bickering has subsided. Just dropping by to say this show just amazes me each week. I don't know how they do it, but it just keeps getting better.

I didn't quite understand some of the conversation going on up north of The Wall. What was going on before the rangers set off to attack the [lookout posts?]. Qhorin Halfhand saw some fire off in the distance? And that signifies that the wildlings had joined ["mance"?] who was training them. I thought he was saying "mancer" as in necromancer, but is it referring to a single character? Because the Night's watch ranger seemed to indicate it was only one person. So the plan was to attack the lookout post, but then retreat back to The Wall?

And when Jon Snow was looking out onto the horizon, who blew the horn that alarmed everyone? There was a group of people coming over the ridge in the distance. At first they said 1 blast was for rangers returning, 2 was for wildlings. Then that Bronn look-alike guy (what's his name) said something about someone was coming and 1 blast for friend, 2 for foes. And that's when Samwell chimes in with the 3 for whitewalkers. Can someone clear up what this scene was about and who those people coming were? They didn't seem to be so concerned about them after a few seconds.

Last edited by hahn; 05-02-12 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-02-12, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hahn
Well, I've come to learn that it's best to avoid this thread until a few days later after most of the bickering has subsided. Just dropping by to say this show just amazes me each week. I don't know how they do it, but it just keeps getting better.

I didn't quite understand some of the conversation going on up north of The Wall. What was going on before the rangers set off to attack the [lookout posts?]. Qhorin Halfhand saw some fire off in the distance? And that signifies that the wildlings had joined ["mance"?] who was training them. I thought he was saying "mancer" as in necromancer, but is it referring to a single character? Because the Night's watch ranger seemed to indicate it was only one person. So the plan was to attack the lookout post, but then retreat back to The Wall?

And when Jon Snow was looking out onto the horizon, who blew the horn that alarmed everyone? There was a group of people coming over the ridge in the distance. At first they said 1 blast was for rangers returning, 2 was for wildlings. Then that Bronn look-alike guy (what's his name) said something about someone was coming and 1 blast for friend, 2 for foes. And that's when Samwell chimes in with the 3 for whitewalkers. Can someone clear up what this scene was about and who those people coming were? They didn't seem to be so concerned about them after a few seconds.
I'll answer your second part first since it came before your first question
Qhorin (or his men) blew the horn and it was him (the Rangers returning) hence why they weren't concerned after a few seconds ... the concern was that a second or third horn sound could follow which would signify a much less friendly outcome.
Edd is that name of the guy that looks like Bronn ....now the third guy (Yoren) being the other who has been mentioned as looking like Bronn ... LOL

Mance Rayder is a former brother of the Nights Watch who fled the wall, took refuge with the Wildlings and became King beyond the Wall. He [Mance] has gathered up the Wildlings and the concern is that if the scouts see the Nights Watch they will warn Mance. The plan is for the Rangers (and Jon Snow) to sneak up on the lookout and take them out before they can give warning to Mance. They couldn't/didn't return to the Wall because that's where the gathering Wildlings are said to be headed.

Last edited by musick; 05-02-12 at 02:28 AM.
Old 05-02-12, 08:13 AM
Suspended

Isn't the Wall pretty much impenetrable? It seems very solid with only one small tunnel...wouldn't it be pretty easy for a few Night's Watch to guard it against many more Wildlings?

And I forget if we've been told already - are the Wildlings supposedly "with" the Whitewalkers (or at least historically, were they)? Or is that possibly what they're fleeing from, their reason for heading south?
Old 05-02-12, 08:15 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick
And I forget if we've been told already - are the Wildlings supposedly "with" the Whitewalkers (or at least historically, were they)?
In the season one premiere we see a Wildling camp that has been wiped out by the White Walkers.
Old 05-02-12, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A suggestion: since everyone has their panties in such a twist about spoilers in these threads, please stop asking questions about things that have not been explained (yet) in the show. Have some patience and some faith that the show knows where it's going. All your questions will be answered.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.