Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Law & Order -- Series Discussion Thread

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Pick your favorite Lennie Briscoe one-liner from the nominations below
15.79%
13.16%
13.16%
2.63%
5.26%
2.63%
21.05%
21.05%
2.63%
2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Law & Order -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
re: Law & Order -- Series Discussion Thread

The problem with a "proper sendoff" is that, except for Jack and Van Buren, these characters haven't been around long, so there isn't really much of a connection with the audience yet. I guess they could bring back all of the old cast members, but I'm not really sure how they would build a story around it, unless they were just all at Van Buren's benefit at the end. They obviously wouldn't all retire at the same time (most are too young, anyway), and some may appear from time to time on the other L&Os.
Old 05-25-10, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
The problem with a "proper sendoff" is that, except for Jack and Van Buren, these characters haven't been around long, so there isn't really much of a connection with the audience yet. I guess they could bring back all of the old cast members, but I'm not really sure how they would build a story around it, unless they were just all at Van Buren's benefit at the end. They obviously wouldn't all retire at the same time (most are too young, anyway), and some may appear from time to time on the other L&Os.
I agree completely. I like the idea of leaving the characters to carry on - their work doesn't change, just the documentary crew stops following them around.

L&O always had a documentary feel, at least to me, and I liked it that way. It had a long run, got a lot of NY actors work, and I hope they all do well in the future. As you said, without a permanent cast, it is hard to have an emotional send-off.
Old 05-25-10, 02:20 PM

The name was most likely intentional. 4chan might not be a household name along the lines of Google, Amazon, etc, but if you're a writer for a crime series and do ANY amount of research on "internet crime," you're likely to come across 4chan.

Either way, the whole Law & Order thing took them by storm; when you post on there the "Post Successful" screen is L&O themed; has the date & time on a black screen and does the "duh duh" sound.
Old 05-25-10, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I haven't watched a first-run episode of "Law & Order" in years, but just finished last night's finale. Since when did they abandon the cops-in-the-first-half-and-law-talkin'-guys-in-the-second-half format?
Old 05-25-10, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

thought it was good
looks like Van Buren is in remission
Old 05-26-10, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I haven't watched a first-run episode of "Law & Order" in years, but just finished last night's finale. Since when did they abandon the cops-in-the-first-half-and-law-talkin'-guys-in-the-second-half format?
They usually stick with the regular format, this was just a special occasion. My guess is they wanted to give Van Buren a bit more screen time given they knew it was her last episode (before they knew it was everyone's final episode).
Old 05-26-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And every struggling actor in NYC just died a little inside and signed up for an extra shift at TGI Friday.
Old 05-31-10, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was a really good season finale. I said this when the news first broke about Law & Order being cancelled and I'll say it again; this show should not have been cancelled.

It would've been hard for Law & Order to have a series finale where we find out everyone's fate and what's going to happen to them next, etc. It was nice to see Van Buren find out she's going to be ok. She's been on the show longer than everybody else and that's probably as close as L&O could get to a series finale type episode.

NBC just doesn't know what they're doing anymore. They cancel the one show that gets decent ratings and they know will continue to get decent numbers every year.

This cast was great and it's going to be really weird not having Law & Order to watch next season.
Old 05-31-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
And every struggling actor in NYC just died a little inside and signed up for an extra shift at TGI Friday.
I read an article saying that The Good Wife has been catering to that crowd, espeically all the theater actors who used to get work on L&O.
Old 05-31-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nateman
NBC just doesn't know what they're doing anymore. They cancel the one show that gets decent ratings and they know will continue to get decent numbers every year.
The ratings weren't that much better than Jay Leno's show, which was considered a disaster.

The fact that NBC greenlit L&O: LA tells me that it was more about production costs than ratings, though. Maybe they lost some tax credits in NY or something.
Old 05-31-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Renee
I'll echo what has already been said. The current cast is solid and I've really enjoyed this season. I'll miss this show and won't likely watch LOLA out of principle. This version still has life left in it- why cancel and create a new spin-off?

Jerry Orbach and Jesse L Martin are still the best, but this cast was very good.
Jerry Orbach and Chris Noth were the best. DUN DUN.
Old 06-01-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Originally Posted by nateman
The ratings weren't that much better than Jay Leno's show, which was considered a disaster.

The fact that NBC greenlit L&O: LA tells me that it was more about production costs than ratings, though. Maybe they lost some tax credits in NY or something.
I know. I'm just pissed that Law & Order is cancelled.
Old 06-01-10, 01:13 PM

did we ever find out if McCoy slept with Claire?

D
Old 06-01-10, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Derrich

D
He so hit that.
Old 06-01-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Derrich

D
Jack had some hot assistant DA's, didn't he?
Old 06-01-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There was a cross over episode with Homicide: LotS that had McCoy being grilled by an over zealous Independent Council. I believe McCoy admitted to sleeping with Claire under questioning.
Old 06-01-10, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by wmansir
There was a cross over episode with Homicide: LotS that had McCoy being grilled by an over zealous Independent Council. I believe McCoy admitted to sleeping with Claire under questioning.
Forgive me if I am wrong. I can't denote the episode but Jack and Claire kind of made an agreement to do it over lunch. The dialogue left a casual viewer up in arms, but if you watch in hindsight you can see/hear it. Jack brought up the consequences and Claire was ok with it. It was consensual IMO (i.e. not a situation of Claire trying to climb the ladder).

There was no follow-up.
Old 06-01-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the episode where Claire died made it pretty clear they were an item.
Old 06-02-10, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieK
I thought the episode where Claire died made it pretty clear they were an item.
Not to mention the episode Under the Influence in the season after.

As for this ep, for a regular cop investigation, it would have been fine on any tv show, but the whole feel of this episode just wasn't Law & Order.

I did like them giving the teacher's union a black eye though.
Old 06-02-10, 10:13 AM

Speaking of Homicide:LOTS, didn't Claire hook up with one of the cops there during the crossover, too?

Jack had a rep for sleeping with his ADA's which ended with Jaime (if i remember, she basically said it aint gonna happen). Although it was never hinted at with Abby, how could he not at least try? Serena...well, that definatley wasnt gonna happen.

D
Old 06-02-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

You remember wrong. There was no such hint of a relationship with Jaime. Jaime was engaged in her 2nd season, so one can assume that she was probably dating the guy for some time before that. Jack had that reputation, but it clearly ended with Claire.

Claire did not hook up with a HLOTS cop. Bayliss was hitting on her. That's it.
Old 09-28-21, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Law & Order -- Series Discussion Thread

https://deadline.com/2021/09/law-ord...id-1234846181/

Bump after 11 years

Officially renewed for a 21st season

NBC has greenlighted a new installment of Law & Order, from Wolf and writer-showrunner Rick Eid, which will continue the classic bifurcated format and will once again examine “the police who investigate crime and the district attorneys who prosecute the offenders.”

There is no cast set but the new season is expected to feature beloved characters from the original series, with Sam Waterson’s Jack McCoy believed to be at the top of the wish list. The producers from Universal Television and Wolf Entertainment are expected to reach out to former cast member shortly about coming back.
Old 09-28-21, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I assume this will be in the works for next season (2022-23) There's no way they can get this ready for this season. But, it might be possible to do a backdoor episode with OC or SVU in the Spring.
Old 09-29-21, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I was surprised that NBC cancelled this back in the day. I always liked it and may check out the revival once it starts.
Old 09-29-21, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

I've never watched a first run episode of Law and Order, only really getting into it around 2014. I'll certainly give this a go.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.