Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chuck -- "Chuck Verus the Living Dead" -- 05/17/10

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Chuck -- "Chuck Verus the Living Dead" -- 05/17/10

I think we were so used to "He's the secret, she's the agent." that all of the changes in the Chuckverse this year are hard to process. S2 was largely an extension of S1 due to the writers strike, except it had much more purpose and an arch. The story is still about Chuck, but the world surrounding him has changed as has he, so to keep playing the same laughs and plots where he is hiding something from his family and co-workers can get old. So I don't mind if Ellie finds out since of everybody left she arguably "needs" to.
Old 05-23-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I think we were so used to "He's the secret, she's the agent." that all of the changes in the Chuckverse this year are hard to process. S2 was largely an extension of S1 due to the writers strike, except it had much more purpose and an arch. The story is still about Chuck, but the world surrounding him has changed as has he, so to keep playing the same laughs and plots where he is hiding something from his family and co-workers can get old. So I don't mind if Ellie finds out since of everybody left she arguably "needs" to.
The original appeal of the show was the geeky everyman who solves problems with crap he learned in a video game or something. The tension from almost getting caught was part of the appeal. Eventually things have to change and people will find out. The problem is the speed at which these changes are implemented. Maybe because the show is always on the verge of cancellation the writers are trying to get more in faster. I use the comparison to Lois and Clark. Eventually Lois found out but I think they were many seasons in and Clark was running out of excuses of why he had to leave when the relationship was heating up. If everyone knows they'll just end up with an updated version of Get Smart.
Old 05-23-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
The original appeal of the show was the geeky everyman who solves problems with crap he learned in a video game or something. The tension from almost getting caught was part of the appeal. Eventually things have to change and people will find out. The problem is the speed at which these changes are implemented. Maybe because the show is always on the verge of cancellation the writers are trying to get more in faster. I use the comparison to Lois and Clark. Eventually Lois found out but I think they were many seasons in and Clark was running out of excuses of why he had to leave when the relationship was heating up. If everyone knows they'll just end up with an updated version of Get Smart.
I don't own the episode of L&C and I couldn't find it on YT, but I always remembered that cliffhanger. I swear they changed how she found out/"figured" out. At the end of the season she acted all shocked and surprised, only when they came back it was, boom!, "Who's asking? Clark or Superman?" I'm totally convinced they changed the scene and resolution over the summer.
Old 05-23-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
The problem is the speed at which these changes are implemented. Maybe because the show is always on the verge of cancellation the writers are trying to get more in faster.
Bingo. For two years no one new. Then this year Awesome finds out in the beginning of the season, Morgan finds out around the mid-point, now it seems Ellie is going find out at the end of the season. They went from no one knowing to everyone knowing way too fast.
Old 05-23-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be fair, not everyone knows. Chuck's best friend, Awesome, and maybe his sister know. That leaves the entire Buy More crowd in the dark.
Old 05-23-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Bingo. For two years no one new. Then this year Awesome finds out in the beginning of the season, Morgan finds out around the mid-point, now it seems Ellie is going find out at the end of the season. They went from no one knowing to everyone knowing way too fast.
What the chuck are you talking about ? Awesome found out in S2. Morgan in S3.
Ellie doesnt know yet.

The show is fast paced but that makes it more fun.

The cancellation threat that is always hanging at the shows head probably has some part to play in the fast pace. But the fast pace adds to the show, not detract from it.
Old 05-23-10, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
To be fair, not everyone knows. Chuck's best friend, Awesome, and maybe his sister know. That leaves the entire Buy More crowd in the dark.
But Chuck is no longer hanging out at the Buy More. It's always Morgan in those scenes
Old 05-24-10, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like a show of hands from those would have done the same thing that Chuck did with the infrared/x-ray glasses; checking out Sarah. I know I would have.

Considering how much time they spent talking about Shaw, I wasn't surprised to see him resurrected at the end. I wonder how he will meet his end in the season finale.

Morgan admitting that he would shack up with Captain Awesome if he would have him was the biggest laugh of the episode for me.
Old 05-24-10, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is embedded in the Chuck season finale teaser: