Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Glee -- "Home" -- 04/27/10

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 10:48 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Re: Glee -- "Home" -- 04/27/10

Full quote:

"Now if you'll excuse me, I have to put in a call to the Ohio Secretary of State notifying them I will no longer be carrying photo ID. ... You know why? People should know who I am."

That's great!
Old 04-27-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Full quote:

"Now if you'll excuse me, I have to put in a call to the Ohio Secretary of State notifying them I will no longer be carrying photo ID. ... You know why? People should know who I am."

That's great!

Sue = Awesome.
Old 04-27-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting the full quote, I couldn't remember it all word-for-word. Definitely one of the funniest lines of the series, too good.
Old 04-27-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Great episode - liked the emotion. I continue to enjoy how they are handling Kurt's storyline, especially his relationship with his father. I'm glad that they didn't act like everything was just fine since their last heart to heart and it's nice to see a parent say something like "I won't change you, you don't change me" to a kid.

That said: FUCK YOU American Idol. There is no fucking reason you can't wrap a show up on time. I work as a producer of a live television show and I perfectly time it every day. We have live guests, musical performances, commercial breaks and paid content and I still wrap that shit up every day when I'm supposed to. It strikes me as arrogance on their part and it pisses me off. DVR is now padded but FUCK AI.
Old 04-27-10, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven
That said: FUCK YOU American Idol. There is no fucking reason you can't wrap a show up on time. I work as a producer of a live television show and I perfectly time it every day. We have live guests, musical performances, commercial breaks and paid content and I still wrap that shit up every day when I'm supposed to. It strikes me as arrogance on their part and it pisses me off. DVR is now padded but FUCK AI.
I agree. At 9:58, Secrest said something to the likes of "we're gonna wrap up in just a second, but here's the songs one more time" and then it takes like 3 fucking minutes to show them all
Old 04-28-10, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The songs were great and it was great seeing "April". I particularly loved the last song which is one of my faves from "The Wiz".
Old 04-28-10, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I definitely did not like this episode and it was almost entirely because of the musical numbers. About half way in I was sick of ballads and desperately wanted a little pop. It completely dragged the show down for me. I ended up FF through a good bit of the second half numbers. I'll revisit at least Chenoweth's closing number once I get the taste out of my mouth.

As for the plotlines. They all had some good lines, but as far as story Curt/Finn was easily the best. I didn't really like Mercedes' story. Quinn's scene was good even if the message wasn't completely. I love Chenoweth but I felt nothing for her and Schue's story.
Old 04-28-10, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Arrogance on the part of who? You know how this biz is. I work and in radio and I see it ALL the time. If someone is making a company a megafuckton of money, the rules and limitations get really loose for that Cash Cow as long and the money keeps rolling in. IF AI needs or wants to go over, then AI can go over.

I'll bet it's more Fox and the Execs than the actual show.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-28-10 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-28-10, 12:13 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
I definitely did not like this episode and it was almost entirely because of the musical numbers. About half way in I was sick of ballads and desperately wanted a little pop. It completely dragged the show down for me.
Old 04-28-10, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Arrogance on the part of who? You know how this biz is. I work and in radio and I see it ALL the time. If someone is making a company a megafuckton of money, the rules and limitations get really loose for that Cash Cow as long and the money keeps rolling in. IF AI needs or wants to go over, then AI can go over.

I'll bet it's more Fox and the Execs than the actual show.
No, it's the show. And Fox lets them get away with it.

There is no reason to pad that program out 3-5 minutes every week. That's just sloppy timing and strikes me as "well, we don't really give a shit" from the director and producers of "American Idol."

"Dancing with the Stars" is also a live program, with performances, prepackaged pieces, judges comments and scores, voting, and they never go over. In fact, you can tell when the host is hurrying things along towards the end. And that show is damn popular too.

I have zero respect for anyone that works in the business and doesn't follow the "rules" just because they are a successful show. It's disrespectful toward fellow artists. And "American Idol" is consistently the only show that has this problem, which to me says more about the people than the network.
Old 04-28-10, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AGREED. they only had SIX performances. SIX. and they couldn't fit that into an hour? seriously? pretty ridiculous. i don't mind padding the extra time because i only watch one other show at 10, so my DVR doesn't get conflicted, but for others that are taping more shows, that must be really annoying.
Old 04-28-10, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Read on EW that Naya Rivera and Heather Morris finally get the bump next year to series regulars.
That's great news. Heather-as-Brittany cracks me up, plus I love the whole Brittany/Santana "relationship"
Old 04-28-10, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Great episode - liked the emotion. I continue to enjoy how they are handling Kurt's storyline, especially his relationship with his father. I'm glad that they didn't act like everything was just fine since their last heart to heart and it's nice to see a parent say something like "I won't change you, you don't change me" to a kid.

I agree Draven, but I think it's intentional for ratings purposes.
Old 04-28-10, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if the inclusion of "One Less Bell to Answer" had anything to do with the fact that it's form "Promises, Promises" and Kristen is currently starring in the revival on Broadway.

http://www.promisespromisesbroadway.com/cast.php

Coincidence? I think not.
Old 04-28-10, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lordwow
Definitely for the ratings.
Old 04-28-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lordwow
That doesn't make any sense. Unless they are trying to artificially increase "Glee's" numbers. Which considering the fact they end up cutting "Glee" off, that's a little counterproductive.

I don't know for sure, but the ad rates for "Idol" are probably based on the ratings for the block it is supposed to air in. I don't see how going outside that block benefits "Idol".
Old 04-28-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me on the list that didn't like it too much. I FF'd most of the songs, not all, but most of them.

Still enjoyed the acting parts. Sue was great as usual, I liked Mercedes storyline and also Kurt's.

The best part, of course, was seeing more of Quinn.
Old 04-28-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems this second half of the season is relying a bit too much on being a broadway type musical. It seemed in the beginning that the music was organically weaved into the plot. i.e. during the actual peformances.

Now we're getting these scenes like the bed scene with Morrison & Chenowith where the characters break into song where people wouldn't normally sing or have music to sing to. Which is fine if you're watching a Grease revival or something, but just feels weird to have to suspend belief on this show.
Old 04-28-10, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Well, my wife and I agree that this was easily one of our least favorite episodes. Seemed quite filler-ish, would have preferred more GLEE singing. It seemed like the Matthew and Kristin show, and while both are amazing singers, I felt like I would have preferred the focus on the club and a bit more movement in the storyline.

Still love the show, but probably won't re-watch this episode on the season DVDs.
I'm on your side on this one. While I enjoyed the show tonight, it seemed "forced" into the theme ("let's get songs about home!"). And while I'm an emotional sucker for that particular theme, sentiment drags this show down. What's original about it is it's bent humor about being an outcast. Getting all mushy about it, well.... (Spent my adolescence being all mushy about it, thank you; now I wanna laugh about it.)

For me, Rachel (the Finn/Quinn thing) is the show. Not having that and seeing her with Jonathan Groff side-lined just seems like a waste of talent. And having Quinn get all nice is a disappointment. I liked the tension she brought to the proceedings.

But all the music was well-produced and again, plenty of it. Kristin Chenowerth's "Home" from "The Wiz" (very funny for her to be mounting an "all white production" on Broadway) was a great ending, but again, it felt like what it was: a showcase.

Amber Riley held true to what I like about "Glee." Her segment was funny, believable and the musical payoff was spectacular. This episode could have stopped right there, and I'd have been happy. Great job!

It was nice to let Chris Colfer step forward in another believable plot, but the idea of moving him in with Finn (plus adding a whole "heavy" subplot with the two widowed parents) seems to tilt the show in the wrong direction. But the writers can do wonders with a lot of things; I hope they know what they're doing with this one...and I hope they drop it.
Old 04-28-10, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

No, it's the show. And Fox lets them get away with it.

There is no reason to pad that program out 3-5 minutes every week. That's just sloppy timing and strikes me as "well, we don't really give a shit" from the director and producers of "American Idol."

"Dancing with the Stars" is also a live program, with performances, prepackaged pieces, judges comments and scores, voting, and they never go over. In fact, you can tell when the host is hurrying things along towards the end. And that show is damn popular too.

I have zero respect for anyone that works in the business and doesn't follow the "rules" just because they are a successful show. It's disrespectful toward fellow artists. And "American Idol" is consistently the only show that has this problem, which to me says more about the people than the network.
I am not going to defend American Idol but Dancing with the Stars goes over time all the time as well. Overruns are used by the networks to try and keep the audience from switching channels once their monster show ends because other shows will have started already.

Dancing Overrun April 20

Dancing Overrun April 13

Dancing Overrun April 6
Old 04-28-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised people didn't like the musical numbers. I thought they were all just fantastic, especially "One Less Bell To Answer / A House Is Not A Home" by Kristen Chenoweth and Matthew Morrison. I actually think liked that they gave Lea Michele the week off; her talent often overshadows the rest of the cast and it's nice that Chris and Amber got a chance to really sing on their own. Sure, Kristen just acted as a stand-in for Lea, but it's nice to change it up a little every now and then.

I agree with Eddie W that the characters "breaking into song" does stray a little from what the show originally started out as, but in all fairness they did that in the first half of the season too (Mercedes' "Bust Your Window," Quinn's "Keep Me Hanging On," and Rachel's "Take A Bow" - I think).

But if that is the direction they are taking the show, I'm really fine with it. Let's be honest though, it's just as unrealistic as them executing those amazing performances in such a short time; their Glee Club is underfunded, but by the time each performance rolls around they are all in matching clothes or costumes, perfect choreography, and sometimes elaborate lighting or stage design.

That being said, I think "One Less Bell To Answer / A House Is Not A Home" was more realistic than some of the other performances where the characters have started singing out of nowhere. I mean, April put in the CD and more or less acknowledged she was going to start singing. Given there relationship, the fact that they both share a love for singing, etc. I didn't find it too hard to believe that Will would also start singing along. Either way, it's more realistic than the high school students singing in the hallway during the middle of the school day, which we saw during the first half of the season.

Last edited by kstublen; 04-28-10 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-28-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I stand corrected - I watch DWTS off and on and have never seen it do that. So I guess they are guilty too.

Still pisses me off.

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I don't know if it's just me, but it seems this second half of the season is relying a bit too much on being a broadway type musical. It seemed in the beginning that the music was organically weaved into the plot. i.e. during the actual peformances.

Now we're getting these scenes like the bed scene with Morrison & Chenowith where the characters break into song where people wouldn't normally sing or have music to sing to. Which is fine if you're watching a Grease revival or something, but just feels weird to have to suspend belief on this show.
They did this off and on during the first half of the season too, but the problem with this is that if they stuck with when it "made sense", every song would be in the choir room, the gym or the auditorium (with random "singing in the shower" or karaoke night or "singing in the car" moments).

I've said from the start that "Glee" first and foremost is a musical. It's just one that happens to take place in a setting where people naturally sing. I'm fine with it, because I recognized from the beginning what the show was. Other people seem more surprised.

I also view those scenes as more "in their heads" than actually singing, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Old 04-28-10, 12:08 PM

I LOVED this episode, and actually didn't miss Rachel very much at all. It was heavy on emotion and drama, but it felt mostly believeable to me. I was a little surprised by Kurt's reaction to his dad bonding with Finn over "guy" things like sports. Afterall, he was doing the same with Finn's mom- bonding over "girl" things like hair styles and clothes shopping for jeans that came below the belly button!

I'm also pissed at AI for consistently going over their alloted time. I had to catch the end of "Home" on Hulu. Such a fantastic performance by Chenowith, and I almost missed it!

I haven't enjoyed humor and heavy emotion entwined this much since the first few seasons of Scrubs.
Old 04-28-10, 12:18 PM

I also view those scenes as more "in their heads" than actually singing, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Ditto. If you want "realism" musical comedy isn't the genre where you want to buy your ticket.

"Glee" has always been very well-produced and inventive. Of course, some examples and choices are better than others, and most of us would have different preferences. I liked the "tribute" to Madonna because it was giddy and over-the-top the way this show can sometimes be. The long use of "A House is Not a Home" and "One Less Bell" is atypical for this show. And while I enjoyed it, it's not why I tune into "Glee" (to see a guest star take most of the air time and then disappear...again).

I'm really looking forward to Idina Menzel getting her hands on some material here. And her character seems to be better integrated into the story than Chenowerth's. But we'll have to see.
Old 04-28-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
To Kristin Chenowith coming back!
Originally Posted by DJariya
I already read a blurb awhile ago that Chenowith was coming back.
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Man Chenowith has a hell of a voice
Originally Posted by Eddie W
Morrison & Chenowith...
Originally Posted by mjfargo
kristin chenowerth's "home" from "the wiz"...
Originally Posted by Renee
Such a fantastic performance by Chenowith....
Originally Posted by mjfargo
...better integrated into the story than chenowerth's.
Chenoweth!!!

Last edited by The Infidel; 04-28-10 at 12:44 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.