Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - Top 9 Part II, April 13/14, Elvis Week

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which two singers will be going home this week? Vote for two.
Aaron Kelly
38.71%
Andrew Garcia
93.55%
Casey James
3.23%
Crystal Bowersox
3.23%
Katie Stevens
19.35%
Lee Dewyze
6.45%
Michael Lynche
22.58%
Siobhan Magnus
16.13%
Teflon Tim Urban
16.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol - Top 9 Part II, April 13/14, Elvis Week

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-10, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: American Idol - Top 9 Part II, April 13/14, Elvis Week

Originally Posted by dino88
And in other news...Simon Cowell was NOT murdered this weekend. Instead, he had a rather uneventful weekend spent sleeping and reading the newspaper. Now for the weather.
Old 04-20-10, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
If I'm not mistaken, I think she said that she never watched the show. If that's the case, there is a good chance she had no idea what she was getting into.

I'm not suggesting that she quit... but in all honesty, she could walk out today and (most likely) still be a millionaire.
she claimed that she thought American Idol had 3 million viewers. Please. Then she goes and makes a crack about Danny Gokey babies who was everyone's whipping boy last season (though he was on the show this season). She is in my opinion putting on a too cool for this show act when she voluntarily signed on to be on this show. By the way, the finalists have to sign a very restrictive contract in order to appear on the show and even more so when they become finalists. 19E and Sony own first rights to sign all the contestants and probably a no-compete clause in case she quits the show and tries to sign with another record company. I doubt any other record company would want to fight to sign her especially if she were to quit the most popular show on television. These are million dollar decisions and I doubt any one would want to invest in such a risk.
I think Crystal can sing but the show was looking for their version of Taylor Swift this season by all the female singers with guitars they picked. They will however end up with someone who would be right at home singing at the Lilith Fair circa 1998 meaning she is probably not relevant in today's music scene.
Old 04-20-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
she claimed that she thought American Idol had 3 million viewers. Please. Then she goes and makes a crack about Danny Gokey babies who was everyone's whipping boy last season (though he was on the show this season). She is in my opinion putting on a too cool for this show act when she voluntarily signed on to be on this show. By the way, the finalists have to sign a very restrictive contract in order to appear on the show and even more so when they become finalists. 19E and Sony own first rights to sign all the contestants and probably a no-compete clause in case she quits the show and tries to sign with another record company. I doubt any other record company would want to fight to sign her especially if she were to quit the most popular show on television. These are million dollar decisions and I doubt any one would want to invest in such a risk.
I think Crystal can sing but the show was looking for their version of Taylor Swift this season by all the female singers with guitars they picked. They will however end up with someone who would be right at home singing at the Lilith Fair circa 1998 meaning she is probably not relevant in today's music scene.
And the username fits the post.
Old 04-20-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
And the username fits the post.
thanks for the personal attack. Why don't you discuss what I wrote?
Old 04-20-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
thanks for the personal attack. Why don't you discuss what I wrote?
Pally, if you make your username chowderhead, and someone insinuates that you match your username, and you find that to be a personal attack, you need to thicken up your skin.

What's to discuss? Your post is totally ridiculous and baseless and responding to it only perpetrates the myth that it actually had merit.
Old 04-20-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Pally, if you make your username chowderhead, and someone insinuates that you match your username, and you find that to be a personal attack, you need to thicken up your skin.

What's to discuss? Your post is totally ridiculous and baseless and responding to it only perpetrates the myth that it actually had merit.
Which part is baseless? I was responding to someone who said he thought Crystal didn't know what she was getting into after 8 seasons of American Idol. I said I believe she is putting on an act of being too cool for school as she was pretty quick with a snark on Danny Gokey. The fact is that 19E signs these contestants and holds first right. She cannot quit the show and sign a recording contract with whoever she wants (and walk out today and (most likely) still be a millionaire). Even Mario Vazquez had to wait 1 year before signing a contract with another record company and he quit before the finals (final 12). The Final 12 contract is even more strident. If she quits, she probably won't get to be on the tour, she won't get the 19E management and she would burn bridges.
Old 04-20-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought the Danny Gokey comment was freaking hysterical. Thank you Crystal for staying true to yourself as the first day you auditioned and for not being a manufactured robot who would do anything to win. I can see what she meant about not knowing what she was getting herself into. I know a lot of people who sing and are artist who have never watched the show. I think Crystal is a refreshing change of what usually is on there. Obviously, people have their own opinions but I dont think you will find the majority of people will agree with the chowderhead.
Old 04-20-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by magiccmom
Thought the Danny Gokey comment was freaking hysterical. Thank you Crystal for staying true to yourself as the first day you auditioned and for not being a manufactured robot who would do anything to win. I can see what she meant about not knowing what she was getting herself into. I know a lot of people who sing and are artist who have never watched the show. I think Crystal is a refreshing change of what usually is on there. Obviously, people have their own opinions but I dont think you will find the majority of people will agree with the chowderhead.
Crystal gave a shout out on twitter/facebook to Vote for the Worst. She knows about the show in my opinion. That was my point. She is acting too cool for school in my opinion to appeal to a certain audience and to keep her "authentic" status because American Idol being the most popular show on television with what 3 million people watching ... you lose cool points for selling out.

Last edited by chowderhead; 04-20-10 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-20-10, 06:55 PM

Maybe she knows about the show now that she is knee deep into it....maybe she didnt know about the show until now. I'm sure Vote for the Worst is a huge topic of discussion among the contestants now... I think of all the contestants ever on the show..she is the last one I would accuse of selling out...well maybe not Kelly Clarkson, but still, ...I'm not seeing your point...
Old 04-20-10, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

my point is that many people would do anything to be her position. The producers have done a lot to pimp her
Spoiler:
going on two pimp slots and praise to high heaven
, switching performance dates when she got ill, getting her a didgeridoo, making her over, etc. AI is the most popular show on television and to some "serious" musicians going on the show is selling out. I think she wants to snark on the show and look too cool for school in order to not appear like she is selling out. I think she should be more grateful and less cold and icy at the opportunity is presented. That is just my opinion.
Old 04-20-10, 07:23 PM

Not sure why you would be upset about them switching boys/girls night when she ended up in the hospital, I'm sure they would have done that with anyone else...as for the pimp spot? Adam Lambert got it 5 times last season..so that's not just done for Crystal. The digeridoo? They got Lee bagpipes, they get full on orchestras for some and smoke effects..thats nothing new just for Crystal. Praise to high heaven? She deserves it...she's damn good. Making her over? Seriously? Do you not see EVERY contestant gets made over? Weak arguments in my opinion, but I'm not gonna get you to change your opinion, that's fine. We will just leave it at that.