Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - Top 9 Part II, April 13/14, Elvis Week

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which two singers will be going home this week? Vote for two.
Aaron Kelly
38.71%
Andrew Garcia
93.55%
Casey James
3.23%
Crystal Bowersox
3.23%
Katie Stevens
19.35%
Lee Dewyze
6.45%
Michael Lynche
22.58%
Siobhan Magnus
16.13%
Teflon Tim Urban
16.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-13-10, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The theme this week will be Elvis, and the mentor will be Adam Lambert. Two people will go home this week after the “save” last week.

They went to Vegas on Friday for a weekend trip, not really sure why but I’m sure we’ll learn all about it tonight.

So… which two singers will be going home this week?

The show tonight runs from 7 to approximately 8:28 CDT, followed by a new episode of Glee.

Last edited by Heat; 04-13-10 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-13-10, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: American Idol - Top 9 Part II, April 13/14, Elvis Week

"Hey contestants! Be current and relevant. Do this by singing 30 and 50 year old songs! Then take our criticism."

Lame.
Old 04-13-10, 09:16 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
They went to Vegas on Friday for a weekend trip, not really sure why but I’m sure we’ll learn all about it tonight.
I'm going to predict a Ford commercial where they're all wearing sequin jumpsuits and singing "Viva Las Vegas".
Old 04-13-10, 09:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

"Thanks. Thanks a lot."
Old 04-13-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

The theme this week will be Elvis, and the mentor will be Adam Lambert.

My ears fear for the shriek-fest Adam will encourage Siobhan to do.
Old 04-13-10, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

.......and the mentor will be Adam Lambert.

Old 04-13-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Crystal Bowersox - yay for the uptempo-ness of the performance, but didn't really like the song, so it didn't really do much for me.

Andrew Garcia - he's got this habit of whining out notes, which just sucks any sincerity or fun out of the songs he sings, and this performance was no exception. Not a good night for Andrew.

Tim Urban - nauseatingly and weepy and nasally all at the same time. How does he keep topping himself week after week in the cheese department?

Lee DeWyze - A little shouty in parts, but overall a good performance, but without much risk in changing up the arrangement, which was probably a good choice.

Aaron Kelly - actually one of the better performances by Aaron, both in commitment and tempo, and he was totally into the song by the end.

Siobhan Magnus - While the start was a little sleepy in spots, I thought the second half just sort of ran off the rails and it was just too much, and made the song unrecognizable because she smothered the melodies and it sounded like crap.

Michael Lynche - Surprisingly, I thought big Mike was in it to win it with his performance tonight.

Katie Stevens - Overly produced, but strong vocals, still no idea what sort of record she'd make, though.

Casey James - he's still stuck in his honky-tonky bar performance mode, which could work for him, but again, not distinctive enough to sign to a record deal.
Old 04-13-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope Elvis wasn't watching.
Old 04-13-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was a pretty miserable week again, I can't wait until this gets to the final three or four. Should be interesting again at that point.

That being said, I gave about twenty votes to Tim Urban, I'd like to see him last another week or two.
Old 04-13-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta say I thought Lambert was a good mentor...he was right on with his observations and wasnt afraid to call anyone out..........
Old 04-13-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

People keep dumping on Tim Urban who's really nothing more (or less) than a post-pubescent version of Justin Bieber, and that kid seems to be doing okay.
Old 04-13-10, 10:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Lambert did a great job as mentor. It helps a lot that he's actually been on the show.
Old 04-13-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really wish Kara and the judges would stop using the term "singer-songwriter" to describe these kids. You have to actually write songs to be a singer-songwriter!
Old 04-13-10, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Crystal Bowersox - She's a good singer, but her performance didn't do anything for me.

Andrew Garcia - Boring, useless, flat vocally and all suck.

Tim Urban - Actually pretty good.

Lee DeWyze - His worst performance ever. Way out of his range, the arrangement didn't work, didn't like.

Aaron Kelly - Glad he listened to Lambert. What he did the exact opposite? Oh yes.

Siobhan Magnus - The 2nd half was as good as the first half was bad. Despite what Simon said, she was on pitch at the end.

Michael Lynche - What can I say? I pretty much hate this guy. He's unauthentic and a dick.

Katie Stevens - A fatter, uglier, less talented Katherine McPhee.

Casey James - Solid, not special.

This week was not great. These theme weeks are growing tiresome.
Old 04-13-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Who would have guessed that the best mentor of the season (so far) would be Adam Lambert and the best judge would be Kara?

I'm guessing Aaron and Andrew will be going home.
Old 04-14-10, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been consistently lurking on the AI threads this year. I just wanted to comment on the season as a whole.

So many people are bashing the group as the "worst ever", or something similar. I haven't watched every season, because many of them bored me to tears before they got to the final twelve.

This season, IMO, is one of the very best.

1. No season is packed with recording stars. The only season that has really come close is the season with Hicks, McPhee, Yamin, Pickler, and Daughtry. This season reminds me of that season. Daughtry was the clear radio voice, Pickler had the country charm, McPhee & Yamin had the pipes, and Hicks had the popularity. This season, I see three very real recording artists: Bowersox, Dewyze, and James (can you say Country star?). Then you have two wild cards in Magnus (voice that can, on occasion, dominate a song) and Urban (has the pretty boy look and likability).

2. Each week, you have the powerhouse of Bowersox, who chooses great songs, is very genuine, and knows who she is, and is the clear favorite. But then, each of the last three weeks have produced amazing performances by three different people. Dewyze with "Treat Her Like a Lady" was brilliant, James with "Jealous Guy" was one of the best interpretations ever done on Idol (and a ballsy choice, considering the L/M week), and, of all people, Urban with a really good version of "Can't Help Falling in Love". All three of these were the best performances of the week. So you have the incredibly consistent Bowersox versus "Who is going to do great this week?" That's fun.

3. The show is not about the top 12 or 10 or 8. It is about who learns from the process and gets better and better in dealing with the AI machine. I could very easily see Dewyze catch Bowersox in the long run, because Sox (while I think she is fantastic) is going to pick predictable songs and do them in predictable ways. James has not used all the tools in the tool belt. You could hear that at moments in "Jealous Guy"...there were parts of that where I thought I was listening to Bob Seger.

4. How can you not clap for Tim Urban after two VERY strong weeks? He took the criticism, exactly as Cowell said, "like a man". He then delivered two very strong performances in a row. What if he delivers again next week? I think his "comeback" in the last two weeks is very compelling. Not enough to win, but enough to outlast Katie, Aaron, Andrew, and Mike. Not bad for a guy that wasn't supposed to be in the top 24.

5. When they got to the top 12, they pretty much dropped the "emotional storylines" and let this be a singing competition. I think that's made for a better show.

6. Ellen doesn't really add much, but she doesn't take away from the show, like Paula. I used to roll my eyes when it got to Paula, and at least I may hear something remotely humorous from Ellen.

I know many will disagree, but I think this is a very interesting group, and will produce a few legitimate recording artists, which is what I try to peg when watching. I still think that Lilly Scott was jobbed in not getting into the big shows, but other than that, I think this season is exactly what it is supposed to be. During the next three weeks, we will see if anyone can add/sustain momentum to catch up with Bowersox. That's classic, compelling competition.

Thanks for taking my call, and I'll hang up for twelve more months and listen.

Last edited by Three Day Delay; 04-14-10 at 03:52 AM.
Old 04-14-10, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dino88
Who would have guessed that the best mentor of the season (so far) would be Adam Lambert and the best judge would be Kara?

I'm guessing Aaron and Andrew will be going home.
I still think that Myley was the best mentor, and I really hate her.

The best judge will never be Kara because she's an untalented idiot.
Old 04-14-10, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Three Day Delay
This season, IMO, is one of the very best.
Nope, still the worst. Only five contestants have any real talent, and one of those America likes so little he was voted off last week.

If we've heard ANYTHING from these guys five years from now I'd be very surprised.

I predicted a few weeks ago that Siobhan had flame out potential and she's doing her best to live up to it.
Old 04-14-10, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Casey James is reminding me of Bo Bice, not a great voice but putting on great performances. Bo Bice was the runnerup to Carrie Underwood in Season 4? Lee Dewyze - great voice, it's like I just started hearing him a couple weeks ago. Once he broke out of his "whipped dog" mentality is is doing fabulous, I can see him making the Top 3.

Dialidol prediction:

Spoiler:
Michael Lynche, Crystal Bowersox, and Casey James are safe.

The other six are all in danger, but Tim Urban, Andrew Garcia, and Katie Stevens are in the most danger.

Just a reminder, dialidol predictions should be in spoilers until after the results show.

Last edited by Heat; 04-14-10 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-14-10, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I totally agree about Bo Bice... I don't think Casey's voice and on stage presence is as strong as Bo's.

Why didn't Big Mike sing the entire song? He only told half the story.
Old 04-14-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by marty888
People keep dumping on Tim Urban who's really nothing more (or less) than a post-pubescent version of Justin Bieber, and that kid seems to be doing okay.
Yeah, and people keep dumping on Beiber.
Old 04-14-10, 12:40 PM

Siobhan was okay, but why is she picking the wrong songs now? Much as I like "Suspicious Minds", she could have had an awesome shot at one of the rockers, but she's going for softer material now, presumably to get away from having to scream on everything(??) She probably thinks she'll get criticized for screaming on every song. Did Adam Lambert get criticized for that? Or for occasionally not doing that? I don't even remember that happening.

Katie was her best ever last night, but I don't think she's going to be winning material unless she channels Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood.

Last edited by HUG-H; 04-14-10 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
I totally agree about Bo Bice... I don't think Casey's voice and on stage presence is as strong as Bo's.
Bo Bice knew how to work his hair and the mic stand.
Old 04-14-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Bo Bice knew how to work his hair and the mic stand.
Very true.. but he doe sound like him.

By the way... Bo got his hair cut:

Old 04-14-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

Lambert's performance tonight. After that enternal intro:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.