Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Recon" -- 3/16/10

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-10, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost -- "Recon" -- 3/16/10

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I mean, seriously, we've been with these characters for 6 years now and they think we're going to be confounded and/or surprised at the revelation that the mysterious hooded character running from the cops is Kate?
I actually thought it was going to be Charlie.
Old 03-17-10, 10:12 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This thread is like a daycare with all the crying for spoonfeeding.
Old 03-17-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
No doubt. They'd almost need to stop what they're doing story-wise and have the producers do a tell-all on the questions and answers just to get them all covered in the next 10 hours. This show has gone from a huge mystery to what appears to be a battle between MiB and Jacob... who we never really learned about until last season.
All they need is one Flocke/Jacob flashback episode and one explaining what happened after Jughead exploded.
Old 03-17-10, 10:34 AM

how do you people read books? (assuming you do) Doesn't it get tough with the pages being soggy by the time you get most of the way through it?

serisously, noone is forcing you to watch, and no amount of whining is going to change the story...just enjoy it...I am thoroughly enjoying this season, because I enjoy mystery and intrigue and sci-fi and this show gives me all of that...now is it going as I planned? of course not, but I didn't write it as I didn't write 100% of the other media I use for ENTERTAINMENT...it certainly is well within your right to bitch and moan, but why do it here where we can use this space to talk about theories and what we like about a show which, obviously we all have invested a lot of time in...I mean can whomever starts these theads just do so with a poll each week so we can have everyone chime in on:
1. How many questions were NOT answered
2. How the characters that were shown this week were annoying/obvious/stupid
3. How the story is getting stupid
4. How there should have been more of x and less of y
5. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

i mean really.......really??
Old 03-17-10, 10:40 AM
ATX

Originally Posted by Groucho
lol

and the people who thought that wasn't Kate probably because that had to be a double, Kate has a specific way she walks/runs... but in the context of the show i don't know why you wouldn't think it was her.
Old 03-17-10, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raKim
how do you people read books? (assuming you do) Doesn't it get tough with the pages being soggy by the time you get most of the way through it?

serisously, noone is forcing you to watch, and no amount of whining is going to change the story...just enjoy it...I am thoroughly enjoying this season, because I enjoy mystery and intrigue and sci-fi and this show gives me all of that...now is it going as I planned? of course not, but I didn't write it as I didn't write 100% of the other media I use for ENTERTAINMENT...it certainly is well within your right to bitch and moan, but why do it here where we can use this space to talk about theories and what we like about a show which, obviously we all have invested a lot of time in...I mean can whomever starts these theads just do so with a poll each week so we can have everyone chime in on:

So now your bitching about people bitching. Excellent use of a post.
Old 03-17-10, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

We have invested years of our lives into this show. It is perfectly fine for people to rationally discuss why they don't like certain aspects of the show. How do you read books with all the pages stuck together as you jack off to whatever is written, good or not?

I enjoy mystery and intrigue as well. It's unfortunate this show isn't providing any. Where else would I do my complaining? It's a fucking Lost discussion thread. No amount of pretending to like the show can make me like it. I am watching now just to see how it ends. I have given the show enough time that I want to know how it ends. And at that time I will decide whether I like the ending or not. I will not blindly love it just because someone else wrote it.

Last edited by spainlinx0; 03-17-10 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-17-10, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Old 03-17-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven

I'll get back to what I thought when this season started: the writers and creators are making it up as they go along. They have dropped major plots (Walt, Dharma) and introduced characters at the last second we don't care about. The whole "battle between Jacob and the MIB" wasn't even mentioned until last season and there hasn't been any indication before this season that the smoke monster was anything but a "defense system" - now it's a thinking and calculating manipulator? And we're just supposed to accept that?

*sigh* Talking about this makes my brain hurt.
Well, I think Walt and Dharma don't really need anymore explaining. Locke saw Walt and thought he's been through to much in life and decided not to take him to the island. He hasn't been a major character for the past 4 seasons, so why should we care about him now? Sure it would be nice to know how he appeared to Locke in Season 3, or if he had "special powers" like Miles, but it doesn't seem that important.

Season 5 was all about Dharma, so I don't really need to know more about it. They're a scientific group that found the island, did experiments, and was killed by Ben and the Others.

In past seasons, there were hints of the Temple, Jacob and an upcoming war, so it looks to me that the writers knew this was their end game and not just something they made up in the last minute.
Old 03-17-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's Vincent they have locked up in that room on the sub. He's going to be the new Jacob mark my words.
Old 03-17-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
It is perfectly fine for people to rationally discuss why they don't like certain aspects of the show.
Exactly. Everyone here is level headed and backing up their frustrations with specific issues the show has. The only outright whining is in raKim's post.

Shame on those falling for Groucho's sarcastic bait.
Old 03-17-10, 11:07 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
So it seems the "flash sideways" are what happens if Jacob never touched the Losties. So Sawyer still lost his parents, but Jacob didn't give him a pen to write his letter. Kate still was caught robbing the store when she was a child, but Jacob didn't save her, etc.
Yeah, to me it seems like the flash sideways are the 'original timeline' and everything else that has been on the show is the 'alternate/modified universe'.

I also don't think the characters appearing in each other's lives in the flash sideways has anything to do with fate or coincidence, either. Assuming that the flash sideways are how things were supposed to be *before* Jacob's interference, what if Jacob (or someone else) simply treated these people as pawns in some game... pulling strings here and there and reshuffling their lives so all these same people (whose lives were already intertwined in the flash sideways/original timeline) would find their way onto this island and be in each other's lives again, only in completely different capacities?
Old 03-17-10, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
We have invested years of our lives into this show. It is perfectly fine for people to rationally discuss why they don't like certain aspects of the show. How do you read books with all the pages stuck together as you jack off to whatever is written, good or not?

I enjoy mystery and intrigue as well. It's unfortunate this show isn't providing any. Where else would I do my complaining? It's a fucking Lost discussion thread. No amount of pretending to like the show can make me like it. I am watching now just to see how it ends. I have given the show enough time that I want to know how it ends. And at that time I will decide whether I like the ending or not. I will not blindly love it just because someone else wrote it.
I guess I deserve that, but still I am not saying to love it blindly, and i didn't saying i was completely happy with the show as you might recall...i guess rational discussion as mentioned would be a better way for me to put it...sorry if I am just frustrated with having to plow through 2 pages of whining to get to some interesting discussion on a show I enjoy...did that sound whiny??
Old 03-17-10, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Exactly. Everyone here is level headed and backing up their frustrations with specific issues the show has. The only outright whining is in raKim's post.

Shame on those falling for Groucho's sarcastic bait.
I didn't fall for any bait, I just didn't find everyone to be level headed, most, maybe...but not everyone...
Old 03-17-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Was the mystery explained how Locke was able to walk again or how Rose's cancer dissapeared or did I miss something?
Old 03-17-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Draven
I'll get back to what I thought when this season started: the writers and creators are making it up as they go along. They have dropped major plots (Walt, Dharma) and introduced characters at the last second we don't care about. The whole "battle between Jacob and the MIB" wasn't even mentioned until last season and there hasn't been any indication before this season that the smoke monster was anything but a "defense system" - now it's a thinking and calculating manipulator? And we're just supposed to accept that?

*sigh* Talking about this makes my brain hurt.
And? Every writer makes it up as the story is created, no matter what they plan there is always new stuff that they never imagine making it's way into the story. It's especially apparent in serialized television. There really is no way to do it without making up so much as you go along, especially when you don't know an exact end date during the first 2 seasons.

And the battle between Jacob and Smokey was at least thematically there since episode one. If you look back at some of the times we've seen Smokey it does work that it's a living entity. The scans that it would do on people, and the pictures it would display. We still don't know what either of Jacob's or Smokey's clearcut motivation is so we don't know how well it fits yet.

And what is there to worry about in regards to not enough time? I don't understand this. Most of the answers can be given out in a monologue, or for all we know we've gotten bits and pieces already, we just need a few more dots to connect. Only the big questions really matter.

What is the Island? Who are Jacob and Smokey? Why are these people on the Island? They still have more than enough time to be properly addressed. And we are slowly getting these answers.
Old 03-17-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm still happy with this season. Things are moving towards a definite conclusion in the coming showdown between Flocke's group, Jacob's group and Widmore's group. The only way I'd call these episodes filler is if nothing was happening to keep the narrative moving, which is definitely not the case. It's not like characters are standing around with their dicks in their hands or going back and forth on who they want to sleep with. The story is actually progressing and we're still getting some nice character moments. We've got something like 8 hours of the show left. I have no doubt many of the mysteries will be addressed as things conclude. I also have no doubt many will be left unanswered, but that's been a given for years now. Anyone that's been watching this long should know it's one of the show's inevitable weaknesses. I'm hoping they at least address all the big stuff and don't see any reason to doubt that they will.
Old 03-17-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX

how do you kill a supernatural being and what is the point of having rifles?
I would think the point of the rifles, is to kill or intimidate those that CAN be killed by them, which is just about everyone but the smoke monster.
Old 03-17-10, 11:50 AM
ATX

^ is that what Bram & co. thought?

or the people that stayed at the temple w/ their rifles aimed come sundown
Old 03-17-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The interesting reveal last night was Flocke talked about being human once and having a crazy mother! I was also fascinated how he rationalized killing everyone at the temple.
Old 03-17-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I read books constantly but I still think that your post sucks. Lost is clearly being made up on the fly and when I read Green Eggs and Ham it was well thought out and left me with zero questions at the end.
Old 03-17-10, 12:23 PM
ATX

Everybody else had severe daddy issues

Smokester had mommy issues

OG Locke kinda had both, but still mainly daddy issues

Aaron is probably killing granny as we speak...
Old 03-17-10, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Can't Flocke turn into Smoke and head off to Brazil or something? What constrains him to the island? I wonder if he was even capable of going over to the Hydra Island?
Old 03-17-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Drop
And? Every writer makes it up as the story is created, no matter what they plan there is always new stuff that they never imagine making it's way into the story. It's especially apparent in serialized television. There really is no way to do it without making up so much as you go along, especially when you don't know an exact end date during the first 2 seasons.

And the battle between Jacob and Smokey was at least thematically there since episode one. If you look back at some of the times we've seen Smokey it does work that it's a living entity. The scans that it would do on people, and the pictures it would display. We still don't know what either of Jacob's or Smokey's clearcut motivation is so we don't know how well it fits yet.

And what is there to worry about in regards to not enough time? I don't understand this. Most of the answers can be given out in a monologue, or for all we know we've gotten bits and pieces already, we just need a few more dots to connect. Only the big questions really matter.

What is the Island? Who are Jacob and Smokey? Why are these people on the Island? They still have more than enough time to be properly addressed. And we are slowly getting these answers.
It's fine in a serialized show like The Shield, or the Wire. The storylines progress in a continuous linear fashion. The "making it up" is really coming up with storylines.

However, Lost was not presented that way, and frankly if they did not clearly plan out a complete arc, it was their own stupidity. Babylong 5 did it, so I don't want people to say it can't be done. You don't need to know an end date. Have a story in mind. If you have 5 seasons worth of story, do 5 seasons. If you have end up only getting three, then you don't get to tell your full story. But if you have three seasons worth of story (which is what I think the writers actually had) and you pad it out to 7 your backstories, themes, characters, and their motivations start to get too convoluted and fall apart, and that appears to be what's happening here.
Old 03-17-10, 12:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I read books constantly but I still think that your post sucks. Lost is clearly being made up on the fly and when I read Green Eggs and Ham it was well thought out and left me with zero questions at the end.
Why does Sam I. Am want Narrator to eat green eggs and ham in the first place?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.