Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Did Family Guy go too far?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Did Family Guy cross the line with Palins Son joke?
yes
12.02%
no
70.49%
Sarah Palin is hot.
13.11%
Sarah Palin is not hot.
4.37%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Did Family Guy go too far?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Did Family Guy go too far?

Originally Posted by Andrea Fay Friedman
My name is Andrea Fay Friedman. I was born with Down syndrome. I played the role of Ellen on the "Extra Large Medium" episode of Family Guy that was broadcast on Valentine's day. Although they gave me red hair on the show, I am really a blonde. I also wore a red wig for my role in "Smudge" but I was a blonde in "Life Goes On". I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor. I thought the line "I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska" was very funny. I think the word is "sarcasm".

In my family we think laughing is good. My parents raised me to have a sense of humor and to live a normal life. My mother did not carry me around under her arm like a loaf of French bread the way former Governor Palin carries her son Trig around looking for sympathy and votes.
Old 02-23-10, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The rest of the family I have no problem ignoring, so long as Sarah doesn't keep parading the retard for sympathy votes.
You should be careful on that one... You might a "retard" for a kid one day, and where would that leave you?

It's certainly not easy parenting by any stretch of the imagination...

Anyway, I don't see what Sarah Palin, or anyone for that matter, is so bent out of shape about?

It's a fairly stupid show that takes uncreative shots constantly! The show is on its last leg, and really wasn't anything special to begin with.

Move on Sarah Palin! There are more important things to worry about! Not some stupid two-bit hack show than pales deeply in comparison to most of its animated older brothers!

I'm surprised this turned into a media circus as most people don't even watch Family Guy. Most comments I have seen state that's the only part of the episode they saw -- in the news media!

Shocked the show hasn't been canceled 5 more times by now. This whole ordeal will have likely blown over in a week or two anyway. Then, most of the world will go back to ignoring Family Guy altogether like they did before.

Last edited by Cocacoladude78; 02-23-10 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocacoladude78
You should be careful on that one... You might a "retard" for a kid one day, and where would that leave you?
Well obviously I'd have to use the little fucker as a prop for my personal PR gain, wouldn't I?
Old 02-23-10, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

It's certainly not easy parenting by any stretch of the imagination...

Anyway, I don't see what Sarah Palin, or anyone for that matter, is so bent out of shape about?

It's a fairly stupid show that takes uncreative shots constantly! The show is on its last leg, and really wasn't anything special to begin with.

Move on Sarah Palin! There are more important things to worry about! Not some stupid two-bit hack show than pales deeply in comparison to most of its animated older brothers!

I'm surprised this turned into a media circus as most people don't even watch Family Guy. Most comments I have seen state that's the only part of the episode they saw -- in the news media!

Shocked the show hasn't been canceled 5 more times by now. This whole ordeal will have likely blown over in a week or two anyway. Then, most of the world will go back to ignoring Family Guy altogether like they did before.
Comedy gold.

The media circus is 100% palin. It's her modus operandi. A throwaway joke turned into manufactured butthurt.

And more people watch Family Guy than fox news. By a factor of about 4.
Old 02-23-10, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I have no problem with any and all shots at her secessionist mouth-breathing dipshit husband and hypocritical teenage whore daughter.
Go on. Is she hot? If not , consider my interest no longer piqued.
Old 02-24-10, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DGibFen
Newsweek jumps into the fray:
I'm glad Newsweek took time out to cover this important issue.

Thanks to Newsweek, I now know a throwaway pop culture jab that wasn't intended to be funny, isn't funny!
Old 02-24-10, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Har har. I saw this episode ten days ago and didn't think a think of it. It was one of 60 jokes in that episode. Then I come here and find that people actually care about this.

I'm so sick and tired of all of these people. STFU. You're sacrificing your own existence for this nonsense. I'm kind of angry at myself for taking the time to even write this.
Old 02-24-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm still not sure how this could be considered a "shot" at Palin, cheap or otherwise. It was a pop culture reference, nothing more nothing less.
The manatees were just unlucky this time.
Old 02-24-10, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I saw the episode and didn't think it was offensive (nor did I think it was very funny).

But that still doesn't change the fact that MacFarlane is a douche.
Old 02-25-10, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

It was it just to see the actress with Down Syndrome tell Palin off.
Old 02-26-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not everyone who works on the Fox animated sitcom "Family Guy" is standing in solidarity with its Valentine's Day episode's Sarah Palin joke.

Cast member Patrick Warburton told TV critics Wednesday he objected to the flippant reference to Palin as the parent of a child with Down syndrome.

"I know it's satire but, personally, that [joke] bothered me, too,"
Warburton said on a conference call to promote his other prime-time show, the CBS sitcom "Rules of Engagement," which returns for a fourth season on March 1. (On "Family Guy," Warburton does the voice of Joe, a police officer who uses a wheelchair.)

"I know that you have to be an 'equal-opportunity offender,' but there are some things that I just don't think are funny," Warburton said.

The former Alaska governor/GOP vice presidential contender and her daughter Bristol lashed out at the show and at the "Fox Hollywood" network over the episode, in which a teenage girl character with Down syndrome says her mother was a former governor of Alaska. Sarah Palin's youngest son has the same condition. Series creator Seth MacFarlane shrugged it off with a statement about the show being an "equal-opportunity offender."

Even the actress who played the character with Down syndrome, Andrea Fay Friedman, got into the act. Friedman, who also has Down syndrome, sent an e-mail to the New York Times last week saying, "I guess former Governor Palin does not have a sense of humor.

"I thought the line 'I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska' was very funny," the newspaper reports Friedman said in her e-mail. "I think the word is 'sarcasm.' "

Warburton is the first person involved with the show in any way, shape or form who has publicly broken ranks.

"Look, I have fun. I like Seth. He's got a great comic mind and I think that the show can be fantastically funny. But I do believe that it can be hurtful at times," Warburton said in response to a question about the episode posed by The Post's Emily Yahr.

The situation was bound to happen, given that "Family Guy," being a cartoon, is given a longer leash than any live-action comedy, Warburton speculated.

"A show like that . . . is going to offend everybody at one point or another," the actor said.

"My mother actually believes my soul's in peril for being on the show," he added.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...022405442.html
Old 02-26-10, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Isn't this the same kind of PC response that people with Palin's political beliefs generally dislike?
Old 02-26-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

If that was me, I'm just sayin, if that was me, they are lucky that was not me, because if the circumstances were such as have been described but with me in them, that's a very different and scary outcome for those involved, if.

Was an alright episode, the comment was throwaway - it showed a girl with syndrome of a down being as bossy and bitchy as a lot of girls are at that age. I don't see what the big deal was.
Old 02-26-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
Isn't this the same kind of PC response that people with Palin's political beliefs generally dislike?
You mean like how conservatives brushed off limbaugh's antics when making fun of Michael J. Fox?
Old 02-26-10, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love how the guy that makes a living playing a parapalegic to enormous comedic effect is offended by a reference to the fact that someone has a child with Down Syndrome.
Old 02-26-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by numanoid
i love how the guy that makes a living playing a parapalegic to enormous comedic effect is offended by a reference to the fact that someone has a child with down syndrome.
qft
Old 02-26-10, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

I haven't had any respect for Puddy's opinions since I found out that he's a face-painter and fancies a man-fur.
Old 02-28-10, 12:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, a couple people have mentioned that Family Guy goes after everyone. If that's true, they must have gone after Obama.
So if President Obama was not mentioned in Family Guy, obviously there's a bias?

That's pretty weak.

Additionally, a comment that "my mother was a governor of Alaska" is hardly a bold act.

Compare that to when Lois Griffin slept with Bill Clinton.

Add to that Palin's own dismissal of Rush Limbaugh's comments as "satire" while immediately pushing contrived outrage at... something about this episode.

The response to all of this is "yawn."
Old 03-01-10, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems overly petty on Palin's part given that only an indirect comment was made towards *HER*, while various other celebrities/politicans have been called worse and used their name/likeness directly.

"My mother was a governor of Alaska" is hardly worse than the joke about Rob Schneider hiring Mexican immigrants to choke him while he masturbates in the shower.
Old 03-01-10, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The show is on its last leg
Other than, you know, the fact that it's one of the top-rated shows on Sunday night.
Old 03-01-10, 09:19 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Any word on Palin and company's outrage over the lampooning of Dave Patterson on SNL (including numerous blind jokes)?
Old 03-01-10, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Groucho, I'm not sure you understand how satire works.
Old 03-01-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Any word on Palin and company's outrage over the lampooning of Dave Patterson on SNL (including numerous blind jokes)?
Patterson is a Democrat, so no they aren't outraged.
Old 03-01-10, 01:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Andrea Fay Friedman
My name is Andrea Fay Friedman...I thought the line "I am the daughter of the former governor of Alaska" was very funny.
Well, at least she confirmed for us that she really is retarded.