Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Damages *Season Premiere* - "Your Secrets Are Safe" -1/25/10

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-10, 10:19 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Damages *Season Premiere* - "Your Secrets Are Safe" -1/25/10

Yeah, loved the intro. Solid premiere tonight to set things in motion. This show continues to have the best supporting cast on TV.
Old 01-25-10, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It's back
I'm happy (and sad ) for Tom! And better wardrobe for Ellen to hide that small frame.

Originally Posted by RichC2
The intro montage of all the shit going down in Seasons 1 and 2 reminded me of how much fun this show is.
Yup! That montage had been up on the FX website for a few weeks, but I enjoyed it so much more in HD.

Love the similarities between this episode and the pilot concerning the flash-forwards. Nice setup with the main case, with the highlight for me being the Patty/Ellen reunion.

So Ellen had nothing to do with the two goons and the baseball bats??

ETA: Watched the premiere a 2nd time and forgot about Ellen's brief chat with Tom...so that answered my question.

And for the item found at the car crash...a big clue, or just another nod to Season 1?

Last edited by skatefan20; 01-26-10 at 12:43 AM.
Old 01-26-10, 12:49 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Good start to the season.

Poor Tom.

Close and Martin Short should have clauses in their contracts that prohibit up-close shots, yikes!
Old 01-26-10, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Yeah Martin Short is looking oooolllddd... may be intentional.
Old 01-26-10, 01:26 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
Good start to the season.

Poor Tom.

Close and Martin Short should have clauses in their contracts that prohibit up-close shots, yikes!

Short especially in that daytime scene outside and Close it seems like she looks slightly different in almost every scene. Maybe it's the makeup, lighting.

Overall I enjoyed it for my first show. I look forward to watching the first two seasons.

Last edited by bootsy; 01-26-10 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-26-10, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I've never seen the show but have recently fallen in love with Rose Byrne after seeing "Knowing" and "Adam" so i'll try to watch season three.

Also she was on Fallon the other night (looked fabulous) and he had a licking contest for a few audience members, then when Byrne came out she asked Fallon if he had anything she could lick.
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mf4s8AIZ0Xg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mf4s8AIZ0Xg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I haven't seen Glen Close in awhile, when did she become this....
Old 01-26-10, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

That was probably one of the best opening montages I have ever seen. Good start to the new season.

They managed to assemble another impressive supporting cast.

Len Cariou
Campbell Scott
Lily Tomlin
Reiko Aylesworth
Martin Short

I really like the new story arcs that they have set up for this season. The Bernie Madoff-type story arc with Cariou's character has potential. Also, the little murder mystery with who killed Tom Shayes and why was Ellen's bag at the scene? Looks like they only added Short and Campbell as series regulars this season, which is good because I think last season's large cast hurt the show with too many subplots.

Ellen and Patty were surprisingly really cordial with one another considering how things ended last season.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-26-10 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-26-10, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya

John Mahoney

That's actually Len Cariou.

A really good start to the season but the other two seasons had great starts, too. That upcoming episode montage was amazing.
Old 01-26-10, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by conscience
That's actually Len Cariou.

A really good start to the season but the other two seasons had great starts, too. That upcoming episode montage was amazing.
Oops my bad, thanks. I've seen Len on a number of things as well and he's a solid supporting actor.
Old 01-26-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

I was really impressed with this episode and the central mystery really had some bite to it*. A lot fo it was spelled out for us, but I have a feeling it may be a smoke and mirror tricks about.

*If you have read some of my complaints about network TV, it is that they (networks/writers) refuse to take a major risk like what was done in this episode. That took some balls, nice job.
Old 01-26-10, 12:25 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Tom Noonan is great in this show as well as the detective. He was in a couple episodes from season 2 -- glad they kept him around.
Old 01-26-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by macnorton
I was really impressed with this episode and the central mystery really had some bite to it*. A lot fo it was spelled out for us, but I have a feeling it may be a smoke and mirror tricks about.

*If you have read some of my complaints about network TV, it is that they (networks/writers) refuse to take a major risk like what was done in this episode. That took some balls, nice job.
Exactly! IIRC, besides a few choice words, there was nothing in this episode that couldn't be played on network television. It isn't like it was Nip/Tuck or something with three-ways or whatever.

What do you expect, though - the majority of the highly rated dramatic shows on network television are nothing like Damages. And Damages isn't exactly killing the ratings on F/X either.
Old 01-26-10, 12:54 PM

In watching the opening montage, I never realized how bloody this show was, and I've seen every episode. Lily Tomlin looked the best I've ever seen her. Over on ew, people seem shocked that
Spoiler:
Tom was found dead in a dumpster
but we all know that anything goes on this show. I still can't understand for the life of me why Patty and Tom are so obsessed with Ellen. She isn't all that special IMO. Edit: Ellen's probably Patty's long-lost daughter. I know it's stupid, but I'll claim it just in case. There are no boundaries for Damages.

Last edited by mraw; 01-26-10 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-26-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Exactly! IIRC, besides a few choice words, there was nothing in this episode that couldn't be played on network television. It isn't like it was Nip/Tuck or something with three-ways or whatever.

What do you expect, though - the majority of the highly rated dramatic shows on network television are nothing like Damages. And Damages isn't exactly killing the ratings on F/X either.
Pfft, Dog shit!
Old 01-26-10, 02:53 PM

Agreed. There used to be a fine line of what would be on cable (nudity, vulgarity and various other "serious" topics) and what would not be on network TV. Today, it has now become what isn't on cable (CRAP!) is on network TV. Are there a few diamonds in the rough, yes, but the majority is crap (or re-hashes of a decent formula). So if network TV wants to play ball, watch this episode and they can catch my drift.
Old 01-26-10, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool to see Martin Short and Lily Tomlin. I haven't seen them in anything recently. I think it's the first time I've seen Short in a straight role. He was pretty good.
Old 01-26-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Great opening montage as I had forgotten how much blood has been spilled on this show. I liked a bunch of the new cast members. Martin Short was equally slimy and a little funny at the same time. I think why Patty is so obsessed with Ellen is because she sees a lot of herself with Ellen. Interesting dualing subplots this year. The conflict that Joe has is going to be interesting to see how he resolves it.
Old 01-26-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed. There used to be a fine line of what would be on cable (nudity, vulgarity and various other "serious" topics) and what would not be on network TV. Today, it has now become what isn't on cable (CRAP!) is on network TV. Are there a few diamonds in the rough, yes, but the majority is crap (or re-hashes of a decent formula). So if network TV wants to play ball, watch this episode and they can catch my drift.
Network TV is required to grab the viewer from the get go or it will be off the air in a few weeks anymore. A dramatic serial that isn't laden with visual effects isn't going to pull them in, so that relegates them to channels like FX.

That said, I'm glad we get at least 3 seasons of this fantastic show. I'm assuming from Cadillac's continued sponsorship that the ratings favor the older, richer crowd.
Old 01-26-10, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Network TV is required to grab the viewer from the get go or it will be off the air in a few weeks anymore. A dramatic serial that isn't laden with visual effects isn't going to pull them in, so that relegates them to channels like FX.

That said, I'm glad we get at least 3 seasons of this fantastic show. I'm assuming from Cadillac's continued sponsorship that the ratings favor the older, richer crowd.
True, but decent writing helps some of those shows (House springs to mind). But they settle in and it is the same thing from week to week. It gets a smidge stale after a while. Cable is willing to take the risk, ratings not withstanding.
Old 01-26-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

True, but decent writing helps some of those shows (House springs to mind). But they settle in and it is the same thing from week to week. It gets a smidge stale after a while. Cable is willing to take the risk, ratings not withstanding.
The funny thing about House is it was an "on the bubble" show (drawing about 6m viewers a week) until it had the chance to follow Idol.

Apparently everything needs help in some form these days
Old 01-26-10, 10:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

How long until Keith Carradine gets shot?
Old 01-27-10, 12:44 AM
Banned

I am definitely with you on this. I don't even watch network TV shows anymore. I stopped after Season 3 of 24 and now watch shows on HBO, Showtime, or FX. There is so much more they can do and show.

I also noticed that there were no commercials for this episode. I love it like that. Is that the way it always is for Damages or was that a one time thing?
Old 01-27-10, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bootsy
I am definitely with you on this. I don't even watch network TV shows anymore. I stopped after Season 3 of 24 and now watch shows on HBO, Showtime, or FX. There is so much more they can do and show.

I also noticed that there were no commercials for this episode. I love it like that. Is that the way it always is for Damages or was that a one time thing?
It was just this episode, the first ep of each season has run a full 60 minutes I believe.
Old 01-27-10, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by bootsy

Usually FX has no commercials for big time premiers, season finales or mid-season "special" episodes. However this is not always the case.
Old 01-27-10, 03:56 PM
Banned

Usually FX has no commercials for big time premiers, season finales or mid-season "special" episodes. However this is not always the case.
Yeah that's kind of what I thought. I don't know of any show on a network that doesn't have commercials. I thought it was unusual and great to see that for once.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.