TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Report: NBC to Cancel LENO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Report: NBC to Cancel LENO?

Just happened and the only story i could find

The end may be near for the Jay Leno show, according to a report on FTVLive, an industry blog.

According to the site, NBC executives have deemed Leno's 10 p.m. show "a failure" that is not making the network money, and have decided to pull the plug. Citing anonymous sources, the site said executives have not yet decided when to pull the show or what may replace it.

Calls and e-mails to the network were not immediately returned.

NBC, part of General Electric (GE), has ordered a record number of pilots and FTVLive speculated that some of those could be contenders to replace the talk show
Old 01-07-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Report: NBC to Cancel LENO?

if this is true, then SWEET!
Old 01-07-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

How many years in a row will this make it that there is a new show on Monday night at 10pm on NBC?
Old 01-07-10, 10:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This could have worked if they gave him 30 minutes a week. No interviews, just classic bits like Headlines and Jaywalking.
Old 01-07-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

NBC is finally coming to its senses! I'll bet they regret dumping their cop show (the name is escaping me at the moment) before airing it. That could have plugged up one of the holes in the schedule. This should bode well for shows without the big ratings, like Chuck. NBC will probably be needing as many shows as it can get its hands on.
Old 01-07-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by AudioWizard
Just happened and the only story i could find
So an unsubstantiated article says Leno will be going off the air at some unspecified point in the future...?
Old 01-07-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
NBC is finally coming to its senses! I'll bet they regret dumping their cop show (the name is escaping me at the moment) before airing it. That could have plugged up one of the holes in the schedule. This should bode well for shows without the big ratings, like Chuck. NBC will probably be needing as many shows as it can get its hands on.
Southland. NBC has plenty of shows to fill those 5 slots. Parenthood was practically hung out to dry for a slot. However it doesn't help that Mercy and Trauma are suffering too.

Of course, I'll believe this when I hear it from other sources. No offense, but NBC wasn't LOSING money with Leno compared to the cost of financing 5 prime time shows to successfully fill those slots.
Old 01-07-10, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
No offense, but NBC wasn't LOSING money with Leno compared to the cost of financing 5 prime time shows to successfully fill those slots.
They weren't exactly making much money, either.

I'll wait for actual confirmation on the cancellation before I start dancing on this televised coma's grave, though.
Old 01-07-10, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
So an unsubstantiated article says Leno will be going off the air at some unspecified point in the future...?
I work at a CBS affiliated news radio station and that js the word they sent down to us.

Last edited by AudioWizard; 01-07-10 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-07-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I saw the Leno show once, for about five minutes. I didn't realize it was still on the air.

How is Conan O'Brien doing with the late show?
Old 01-07-10, 11:12 AM

I'm not sure about this, but I thought I read somewhere back in July that should NBC cancel Leno, they have to pay him a substantial percentage of his full salary through May 2011. They were supposedly forced to do that due to the fact that ABC was trying hard to land Leno for a new late night show which would have directly competed with Conan O'Brien.

So I'm not going to believe this story until I see it published by a legitimate news source.

I *do* think it's likely, though, that you could see Leno reduced to just two nights per week.
Old 01-07-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If this is true.. maybe FNL will air sooner than the summer!
Old 01-07-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hope this is true. I do like Jay but his primetime show wasn't good at all. Many people already had favorite shows airing in those time slots.
Old 01-07-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

So really the thread title is wrong. Could a mod change it?
Old 01-07-10, 11:59 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

From TheLiveFeed's Twitter:
Note headline says Leno canceled. But his interview says 2 possibilities, including waiting to see if pilots good = not the same thing

NBC would have to pay him a boatload of money if they cancel him as he is under contract for another year+. If they want to do it, go for it. I just don't think they will launch 10+ new shows next season. (5 for the 10pm slots, and it's almost a given Trauma, Mercy won't be back).
Old 01-07-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Report: NBC to Cancel LENO?

Updated thread title
Old 01-07-10, 12:03 PM
Suspended

From NBC:
“Jay Leno is one of the most compelling entertainers in the world today. As we have said all along, Jay’s show has performed exactly as we anticipated on the network. It has, however, presented some issues for our affiliates. Both Jay and the show are committed to working closely with them to find ways to improve the performance.”
Old 01-07-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I think NBC's mistake with Jay Leno's show is putting it on 5 times a week. They should've done once or twice per week instead.
Old 01-07-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
This could have worked if they gave him 30 minutes a week. No interviews, just classic bits like Headlines and Jaywalking.
THIS I might have watched. I've seen maybe clips from 2 episodes since it started.

Now NBC has a bigger gamble then before--if they cut Leno, they now have 5 nights a week to fill--not just one like they would when they cut a typical show. That's a lot of airspace, and a lot of new shows they'll have to spend money on and try out.

Here's hoping FNL takes its place soon!
Old 01-07-10, 12:50 PM
Suspended

I've seen 1 or 2 episodes of Leno so I don't really care. If it means Chuck has a better chance at a fourth season, do it.

We should know Sunday though. They are announcing their mid-season plans.
Old 01-07-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was a big fan of Lenos when he was hosting the tonight show, but Leno from the sets, earn your plug are lame and chessey. Having no Desk makes it feel uncomfortable and doesnt feel right. As a fan of Lenos I think the show is a mess and failure. I never watch it. Even though its close to being the tonight show, the small changes are really bad. the banter between Leno and Kevin Eubanks feels odd too since they are separated more then before.

I wish they could just go back the way it was, Leno on the tonight show and Late Night with Conan Obrien
Old 01-07-10, 01:33 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

NBC was really hoping this would work out for them so they could transition away from scripted shows and towards this sort of crap. Thankfully it backfired.

It's amazing, but it wasn't that long ago when NBC was synonymous with high quality programming; they were the gold standard of broadcast TV. Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, LA Law, The West Wing, Seinfeld, Cheers...
Old 01-07-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

It's the top story on www.ftvlive.com. It's a pay site, but you get the idea from the graphic
Old 01-07-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
“Jay Leno is one of the most compelling entertainers in the world today. As we have said all along, Jay’s show has performed exactly as we anticipated on the network. It has, however, presented some issues for our affiliates. Both Jay and the show are committed to working closely with them to find ways to improve the performance.”
That's a nice way to say "the only person making money here is Jay Leno".

As long as they don't plug the hole with another "reality" or "game" show, I'd thrilled. I've hated the decline of scripted TV these past few years.
Old 01-07-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
As long as they don't plug the hole with another "reality" or "game" show, I'd thrilled. I've hated the decline of scripted TV these past few years.
Of course that's how they'll fill it in the short term. Pump a half dozen shitty reality shows on in primetime and just bump everything else an hour. Surely they had an contingency plan and have more than a few shows in development already.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.