Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek Sheep: The Next Generation

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-09, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek Sheep: The Next Generation

They also weren't charged with assault and battery against the guy with the boom box, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

It seems to me that "how do we know" can never be a valid defense to violating the prime directive. The reason it's the prime directive is that we can't afford to find out.
Old 08-14-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,053 Likes on 867 Posts

I didn't get my answers in but am following along. I would have been clueless on a third of these questions
Old 08-14-09, 10:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
They also weren't charged with assault and battery against the guy with the boom box, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

It seems to me that "how do we know" can never be a valid defense to violating the prime directive. The reason it's the prime directive is that we can't afford to find out.
But, again, how do you know the guy didn't invent it anyway?
Old 08-14-09, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
But, again, how do you know the guy didn't invent it anyway?
I don't, and that's why it's a prime directive violation. Picard couldn't give a society on the brink photon torpedoes and justify it by saying that the person he gave them to might have invented them anyway.
Old 08-14-09, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Tracer got this one right with Family Guy. If you count buying DVDs, I think you have to count watching the show. That renders the question nearly meaningless because just about every show that has ever gotten a second season has done so due to ratings, which would be "fan action".
Except a show with good ratings is never canceled like Family Guy was. Now, if a network announced that a show was canceled unless it got great ratings for the last episode, and then it did, I'd say that was "fan action" as well. What makes a mail campaign the only acceptable action in this instance?
Old 08-14-09, 11:20 PM
Banned by request

I don't, and that's why it's a prime directive violation. Picard couldn't give a society on the brink photon torpedoes and justify it by saying that the person he gave them to might have invented them anyway.
Kirk not only told Gillian (was that her name? the marine biologist) about 24th century technology and time travel, he also took her to the future, and no one seemed to mind.
Old 08-14-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by the big train
Except a show with good ratings is never canceled like Family Guy was. Now, if a network announced that a show was canceled unless it got great ratings for the last episode, and then it did, I'd say that was "fan action" as well. What makes a mail campaign the only acceptable action in this instance?
Cancellation isn't part of the question. The wording is "brought back". High viewership for Friends brought it back year after year (until/unless they got multi-year renewals at some point).
Old 08-14-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kirk not only told Gillian (was that her name? the marine biologist) about 24th century technology and time travel, he also took her to the future, and no one seemed to mind.
Bringing her to the future pretty well moots the violation, though. If he left her there like they left the plans for transparent aluminum, it seems to me a violation.
Old 08-15-09, 12:29 AM
Banned by request

So bringing her to the future doesn't alter the timeline? I'm confused.
Old 08-15-09, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So bringing her to the future doesn't alter the timeline? I'm confused.
She was a single woman who was a love interest for Shatner in the late 80s. I don't think she was having children.
Old 08-15-09, 02:51 AM
Banned by request

But you don't know that. She could have been the great great great great great grandmother of Zephrim Cochran or however you spell his name.
Old 08-15-09, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

They were all just too happy they got the hell her whales.
Old 08-15-09, 04:07 AM
Banned by request

Admiral kvrdave, they are not the hell her whales.
Old 08-15-09, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But you don't know that. She could have been the great great great great great grandmother of Zephrim Cochran or however you spell his name.
Not if she had gone through menopause, which is what I was getting at. Shatner was *old* back then.
Old 08-15-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cancellation isn't part of the question. The wording is "brought back". High viewership for Friends brought it back year after year (until/unless they got multi-year renewals at some point).
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
S: The Original Series was canceled in 1968, but a letter-writing campaign convinced NBC to renew it for a third (and final) season. Name another television series that was brought back through fan action.
The wording is quite clearly about another show that was brought back from cancellation.
Old 08-15-09, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
The wording is quite clearly about another show that was brought back from cancellation.
That's not part of the question if you ask me. That's just a preamble.
Old 08-15-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 629 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
This is actually a good point. Anyone have an opinion on this?
As was said before, the Prime Directive never applied to time travel. For example, in the court-martial proceedings, did we see a charge for violating the Prime Directive? No. Of course not.

Plus nothing changed except for moving 2 whales (of a soon-to-be extinct species) from the past to the future. They gave the invention to the guy who invented the thing. Whale woman apparently had no life, just like most Trek geeks, so she could be brought forward w/o changing anything.
Old 08-15-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. Okay. Jimmy James put up a spirited defense, but Voyage Home will remain a wrong answer.
Old 08-15-09, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
They gave the invention to the guy who invented the thing.
Where do you get that? Scott asks how we know he didn't invent it.

I don't find the time travel angle persuasive, but I think I have figured out an argument looking at the charges that also kills my answer:

I think it's clear from the charges (Conspiracy; Assault on Federation Officers; Theft of Federation Property; namely the Starship Enterprise; Sabotage of the U.S.S. Excelsior; willful destruction of Federation Property, specifically the aforementioned U.S.S. Enterprise; and finally, disobeying direct orders of the Starfleet Commander) that Starfleet considers these actions to be inconsistent with the crew acting under the authority of the Federation.

From there, I think you get into an interesting discussion about the question. If the Klingons had interfered with a society in an episode, would that have qualified? It would be a violation of the federation principle known as the Prime Directive, but the Prime Directive does not apply to the Klingons. I think the most sensible way of reading the question requires a violation of the principle by somebody who is charged with upholding it.
Old 08-15-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Where do you get that? Scott asks how we know he didn't invent it.
It was pretty clear that he was being sarcastic when he made that remark - Scotty was likely an expert on enginerring advances in history - he knew that Dr. Nichols was the inventor, which is why they specifically sought him out. He happened to be conveniently located in the Bay Area.

Note in those charges - no charge of violating General Order Number One (the Prime Directive). The charges all stem from the events in III.

As for Klingon question, of course not. They were not a member of the Federation and thus not subject to the Prime Directive.
Old 08-15-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As for Klingon question, of course not. They were not a member of the Federation and thus not subject to the Prime Directive.
The Russian mob (operating in Russia) isn't subject to our murder laws, but we still might call them killing somebody in cold blood murder. The question is not super specific, which is why you could argue that Klingons would still violate that directive even though they aren't subject to it. I'd tend to agree with you, though.
Old 08-15-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

The Russian mob (operating in Russia) isn't subject to our murder laws, but we still might call them killing somebody in cold blood murder. The question is not super specific, which is why you could argue that Klingons would still violate that directive even though they aren't subject to it. I'd tend to agree with you, though.

Yeah but there are murder laws in Russia that they are violating.

The proper analogy would be something like China surpressing free speech. They are not subject to the U.S. Constitution first amendment, so you cannot say that they are violating the law.
Old 08-15-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not part of the question if you ask me. That's just a preamble.
It's not like it was a non sequitur or anything. It definitely gives the question its context. It's clearly asking for a show that was canceled and "brought back", not re-newed for a second season.
Old 08-15-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah but there are murder laws in Russia that they are violating.
Isn't that up to the Russian judges paid for by the Russian mob?
Old 08-15-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Plus nothing changed except for moving 2 whales (of a soon-to-be extinct species) from the past to the future. They gave the invention to the guy who invented the thing. Whale woman apparently had no life, just like most Trek geeks, so she could be brought forward w/o changing anything.
Don't forget the "new kidney" pill.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.