Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 4/16/09

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 11:04 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Survivor: Tocantins - The Brazilian Highlands - 4/16/09

Originally Posted by dino88
How many seasons have you watched? I've only missed 2-3 seasons and it's always been the same. I'm sure if you were that insulted you would have stopped watching long ago.
I've watched all of them and they have progressively gotten worse (or better) with the editing. However you want to look at it.

Obviously, I'm not that insulted. I just wanted Coach gone. Although I love laughing at him each week.
Old 04-17-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
Jeff had been playing Coach up all season...and know we know why. Tonight was the night Coach became a reality TV legend. What a fucking psychopath.
oh yeah, Jeff has a major man-crush on Coach, check out his blog:

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009...robst-b-2.html
Old 04-17-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Damfino
oh yeah, Jeff has a major man-crush on Coach, check out his blog:

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009...robst-b-2.html
I think more than anything, Jeff has been in this long enough that he recognizes reality-tv gold. Like Rob and Amber and Alison from Big Brother, this is the kind of character CBS keeps around and jumps to The Amazing Race or another show.

At this point, Coach is the person to take to the end with you. No one would give him the money because of his ego, and he'd be great to be up against. Besides, this guy will be a millionaire riding the Survivor speaking circuit for years to come.
Old 04-17-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Ugh! I hope this isn't going to turn into the Coach and Tyson show with them exchanging smug/twatty looks for the rest of the game.
+1. I just got a bad flashback to Thailand, the all-time worst season.
Old 04-17-09, 11:35 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My favorite Coach moment from last night was when Jeff is describing how the immunity challenge works and says something like "throwing stones to break a series of plates, a skill none of you have any experience in" and Coach chimes in "I have". Seriously the guy is like Kristen Wiig's Penelope from SNL.
Old 04-17-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
My favorite Coach moment from last night was when Jeff is describing how the immunity challenge works and says something like "throwing stones to break a series of plates, a skill none of you have any experience in" and Coach chimes in "I have".
That was my favorite moment all season.
Old 04-17-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
At this point, Coach is the person to take to the end with you. No one would give him the money because of his ego, and he'd be great to be up against. Besides, this guy will be a millionaire riding the Survivor speaking circuit for years to come.
I think the best person to take is Taj. Is anyone going to give the money to the wife of Eddie George?
Old 04-17-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Coach might be the least liked person on that show since Richard Hatch. To me at least. While I laugh at his stupid antics, I would have much preferred to see him booted last night.
Old 04-17-09, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by dino88
I think the best person to take is Taj. Is anyone going to give the money to the wife of Eddie George?
Taj stated that if she wins she's giving the money to charity. If the jury isn't all too enthusiastic about the final 3, they may choose her to win out of spite because none of the players this season would actually pocket the money if Taj wins.
Old 04-17-09, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Coach might be the least liked person on that show since Richard Hatch. To me at least. While I laugh at his stupid antics, I would have much preferred to see him booted last night.
I agree. Thank goodness I DVR the episodes. I fast-forwarded through his parts last night.
Old 04-17-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Oh, and then there's this book based on the story he told tonight:
http://www.amazon.com/Voyage-Beyond-.../dp/1432712349
Originally Posted by Amazon product description
The chance discovery of his journals, buried on a Colombian cliff above the sea, uncovers a mystery which took many years to finally solve. His journals tell of misery and elation, of triumph and failure, of insight and insanity.
Old 04-17-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Love this comment

Funny, the only review for this book is from the author. There seems to be something missing from the story told in this book; proof! The incredible "story" of Benjamin "Coach" Wade seems just a bit too incredible. Nowhere can I find any corroborating evidence of any of his claims. Is there a record of his unbelievable solo kayak voyage? You would think it could be found somewhere in the billions of pages on the web or maybe just in the Guinness Book of World Records. It's not there. Could this be another case of someone selling fiction as fact?
Old 04-17-09, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
My favorite Coach moment from last night was when Jeff is describing how the immunity challenge works and says something like "throwing stones to break a series of plates, a skill none of you have any experience in" and Coach chimes in "I have". Seriously the guy is like Kristen Wiig's Penelope from SNL.
I mentioned this on the last page. However, it followed Brendan's response to Erinn's comment about his team being stacked.

Also funny: Coach's confessional after Sierra told him he looked hilarious while doing his ancient Tibetan ritual that you won't find on the internet.
Old 04-17-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

[Penelope]So, I paddled a kayak around the world at night in the winter time.. so, then I played trumpet with Miles Davis, so, I was eaten by cannibals in the Amazon, so and then I was resurrected by a wizard so, I practice a secret form of Tai Chi that's so secret even I don't know what it's called so, I broke all the plates in South America, so, my life story was discovered next to the Dead Sea Scrolls, so.....[/penelope]
Old 04-17-09, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Worst episode of the season as far as drama goes. No clever editing ever made me believe Brendan wasn't a goner OR possibly Sierra if he did use the idol.

Tyson has proven himself to be a very good player in all aspects and deserves props, but I still don't buy some of the setiment here that he's just playing to the camera.

His comments to Sierra were really rude and, honestly, totally unecessary. I mean, it could be the edit, but neither Jeff nor anyone else has made any mention of Sierra being a pain in the butt kind of girl back at camp and for someone who doesn't even look like she belongs there, she hangs in a lot of challenges better than the other females. So as a player, Tyson is very good. As a person, I still say douche.

I also think Jeff spoiled a lot early in one of his blogs by talking up coach so much and how he was so entertaining and was going to be the star of the show. That certainly played a factor in me knowing there was no possible way of a surprise last night and it kind of leads one to believe he's gonna go deep into the game. I like Jeff's blogs, but that bit of info might have been giving away a bit too much.

Is it remotely possible coach is telling the truth or is he crazy or is he just extremely disciplined with a game plan as coming of as this nut as part of his strategy. I mean, I think we all meet Richard Hatch kind of people in our lives, but I've never met anyone remotely like coach. And I'm finding it harder and harder to believe that he's that bad at the challenges, so I just wonder if he's playing a game with everyone or if he's batshit insane and happens to have the nickname coach, but absolutely no ability to perform like he's good at anything that one would assume a coach would be good at.
Old 04-17-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
but I've never met anyone remotely like coach.
I have a few at work. Annoying as fuck. I tell one of them to fuck off. If I didn't know any better, I would say he is related to Coach and he would probably say he is.
Old 04-18-09, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Is it remotely possible coach is telling the truth or is he crazy or is he just extremely disciplined with a game plan as coming of as this nut as part of his strategy.\
I think all his stories are based on truth and could be true all the way through. But I've met a lot of travelers who tend to embellish stories as time goes on. The more they tell the story, the more they come to believe it themselves.

Maybe he was taken and imprisoned by an indigenous Peruvian tribe, but everything could have been taken way out of context through his own distorted point of view. Maybe he did something to offend the tribe and they had him restrained (which Coach turned into "tied down to stakes in the ground"). And then his ignorance of the situation made him feel his life was at risk. There is no possible way he would know they were saying they wanted to "eat his ass."

I've actually heard some of my personal experiences being told by friends as if it were their story. Sometimes people get so caught up in a lie that they truly believe themselves. So while his stories are most likely based in truth they are probably embellished due to either his perception of the situations being completely off or he is pulling from different sources. I mean I've had my share of adventures and a few life threatening situations, but I've never had anyone wanting to turn me into ass stew.
Old 04-18-09, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by zuffy
I have a few at work. Annoying as fuck. I tell one of them to fuck off. If I didn't know any better, I would say he is related to Coach and he would probably say he is.
I met a guy in college who was a massive liar. It was the first time I knowingly met a person who would tell complete crap stories to try and make an impression. Talking about his time on the Auburn football team and how he played earlier that day despite having one side of his face completely red from sitting in the sun in the stands (and people seeing him sitting there).
Old 04-18-09, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

We should have done a drinking game during that episode for every time he said Dragon or Slayer we should have drank.

He's my pick too in the DVDTalk pool
Old 04-18-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

While it may not be the best game plan the idea of a Coach/JT/Stephen/Tyson final 4 is perfect. Much better than the 2 good players and the 2 tag alongs they usually have in the final 4.
Old 04-18-09, 11:27 PM

I can not fathom what Taj, JT, and Stephen were thinking. They had a clear path to the final 3 had they taken the other alliance.

Getting back into Survivor after skipping the past few seasons, this one has been highly entertaining
Old 04-19-09, 06:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wade, a world-class trumpeter

Wade said most of his players understood his absence last year after he explained his appearance on the show.

(1) How do you get certified as "a world-class trumpeter"? Is there some kind of secret Trumpeting Olympics" that are held annually?

(2) Regarding his players, I would imagine the conversation went something like this:

"We understand completely, Coach, and don't mind at all. In fact, it's okay with us if you want to take a little more time off to follow your dream...say, about ten seasons or so.

Be the wizard, Coach."
Old 04-19-09, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by guildda
I can not fathom what Taj, JT, and Stephen were thinking. They had a clear path to the final 3 had they taken the other alliance.

Getting back into Survivor after skipping the past few seasons, this one has been highly entertaining
Definitely agree. I was also wondering this. They have the "exile four" alliance + JT. Then when it got down to 5, Taj/Stephen have JT with them to pick off Sierra and Brendan. Why go with the unpredictable Coach and Tyson? Then again, nothing is really predictable, or sure, in this game. I guess they feel better about their current plan.
Old 04-19-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw a new preview for the upcoming episode.

Spoiler:
It's misleading in that Sierra is described as the weakest player. She was right up there with the guys last week. I hope she wins immunity.
Old 04-19-09, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Saw a new preview for the upcoming episode.

Spoiler:
It's misleading in that Sierra is described as the weakest player. She was right up there with the guys last week. I hope she wins immunity.
Spoiler:
I agree. I don't think she in any way is the weakest challenge competitor. She's done a lot better than the vaunted Ben in most of the challenges. I didn't like that preview though. I thought it seemed to give away too much information.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.