Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dexter -- "Do You Take Dexter Morgan?" -- Season Finale -- 12/14/08

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by movieking
I was kinda disappointed at how neatly everything was tied up. We knew that nothing was going to happen to Dexter, but it was all too convenient for my liking.
The first two seasons tied things up nicely too. I saw no reason to expect different this time so I wasn't diappointed at all.
Great season!
Old 12-16-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brack
I'm glad how things turned out. I loved the use of symbolism there at the end with the dress.
I was thinking the blood drips were foreshadowing of something next season. Something like blood drips at the scene of the skinner or something that will connect Dexter to the area or something.
Old 12-17-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonw9
I was thinking the blood drips were foreshadowing of something next season. Something like blood drips at the scene of the skinner or something that will connect Dexter to the area or something.
+1

Exactly what I was thinking. Although I am curious as to what symbolism we are talking about.
Old 12-17-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree it could be a sublte cue to the viewer that he left blood at the scene, but it was still very symbolic.

The white wedding dress can be a symbol of purity and/or innocence, it could also represent his marriage, his son and/or the idealistic family life he envisioned. The blood could symbolize corruption, violence, and/or evil and it literally flowing from a secret wound that was a result of his "dark passenger".
Old 12-17-08, 10:58 AM

Loved the finale. Just finished up watching all 3 seasons (started the first two up after catching this year's season opener) and only have one real question:

When he is on his boat, do you think Dexter thinks of himself as Captain Morgan?
Old 12-18-08, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great season. This is easily my favorite show on TV. I'm already jonesing for the what's next for deadly and devoted Dexter. Anyway, I approached this episode more as an epilogue to season three. The main arc concluded last week with Prado's death, this one just served to get everybody in place for the future (Dexter and Rita married, Deb finally gets her shield, etc). As for the Skinner's death, the police have no reason not to trust what they think they saw. Certainly Dexter could have talked his way out of any hard questions as to why the Skinner targeted him, but it was just easier for him to slip away unnoticed, especially since he's going to be in position to deal with any possible evidence they collect that might place him at the scene. Whether he disposes of it (like his filling at Freebo's house) or purposely contaminates it or whatever.

Originally Posted by wmansir
The white wedding dress can be a symbol of purity and/or innocence, it could also represent his marriage, his son and/or the idealistic family life he envisioned. The blood could symbolize corruption, violence, and/or evil and it literally flowing from a secret wound that was a result of his "dark passenger".
That's exactly how I interpreted it.
Old 12-18-08, 09:09 AM

I agree it could be a sublte cue to the viewer that he left blood at the scene, but it was still very symbolic.

That makes sense.

I hope in season 4 he kills Julie Benz!!!LOL. She was so annoying this past season. Always complaining and whining. Shut up already!
Old 12-18-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Loved it. Another top notch season. I'm actually hoping that next season takes a note from the book series and that Dexter realizes that he can train the kids to be another...him.
Old 12-18-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been catching up with episodes of "The Brotherhood" now that Dexter is over. I just watched a show where a character was killed and the killer had to get rid of the body. I immediately thought "He isn't nearly as meticulous as Dexter."
Old 12-18-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I liked this season, but the last episode didn't do as much for me as the other episodes. I agree with the comment that the last episode could have been combined with the previous one for a more satisfying presentation.
Old 12-18-08, 07:47 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Great episode, but everything got tied up a little too quickly at the tail end of the episode. Can't wait to see Dexter as an official father next season.
Old 12-19-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's the case as well.

I'd be willing to bet (a small amount of money) that next season is about Deb figuring out who Dexter's dad was sleeping with, leading her to the realization that Ice Truck and Dexter are brothers. Ultimately I expect Deb to find out about Dexter's "dark passenger" and having to decide what to do with that secret.
Old 12-19-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Deb doesn't seem the type that would turn Dexter in. I think if anything Deb he was doing a good thing.
Old 12-19-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry C.
Deb doesn't seem the type that would turn Dexter in. I think if anything Deb he was doing a good thing.
Didn't she say last year that she would put a bullet in the Bay Harbor Butcher's head? Which didn't exactly make too much since because she explained with their dad teaching them the value of human life.
Old 12-27-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sorry for fishing the thread out of the gulf stream, but does anyone know why Dexter brought the dead lawyer's ring when he went to interview Ramon? It seemed like Dexter intended to plant the ring on him to frame the murder, but that just makes no sense.
Old 12-27-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think he was going to blackmail him with it - "Look, we both know your brother had a dark side to him...this is irrefutable proof that he killed Ellen Wolf that will tarnish your family's reputation forever - leave me alone or I 'leak' it to the cops."
Old 12-27-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just finished up Season 3 and I agree, the finale wasn't great, more of wrap up since the Prado angle was finished in the prior episode. Still though, I liked it a lot. I dug Seasons 1 and 2 more but this was still a good season. I for one like how for the most part the seasons are self contained, it's actually kind of refreshing for a serial show to do that.
Old 12-28-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
i too felt underwhelmed by the finale, but in the end that's merely testament to how fucking great the season was. Every week managed to be absolutely gripping...which is awfully hard to maintain. Still, an underwhelming week of Dexter is far superior to 99% of what's on tv. I'm sad it's over
Old 12-28-08, 02:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
^ Well Said. Underwhelming finale (and season, imo) -- I miss Doakes -- but I still enjoyed it much more than the vast majority of other shows on right now. Looking forward to the new season in 2009...
Old 12-28-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Geofferson
^ Well Said. Underwhelming finale (and season, imo) -- I miss Doakes -- but I still enjoyed it much more than the vast majority of other shows on right now. Looking forward to the new season in 2009...
I liked Doakes too. I think they blew through that whole suspicion about Dex way too fast. He went from being suspicious to flat out psycho to find him out in a few weeks. I wish it has been a little behind the scenes.
Old 01-09-09, 10:55 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Dexter -- "Do You Take Dexter Morgan?" -- Season Finale -- 12/14/08

Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter got married on New Year's Eve

*EDIT* Whoops, LickTheABC's posted it right before me.

Last edited by sb5; 01-09-09 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-18-09, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Anyone know when Dexter Season 3 is being released on DVD? It seems to be taking an awful LONG time!
Old 05-18-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm going to guess about 4-6 weeks before season 4 starts. So I would say August.