Search this Thread

Old 12-14-08, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Dexter -- "Do You Take Dexter Morgan?" -- Season Finale -- 12/14/08

Photobucket

Synopsis:

Spoiler:

Miguel's out of the picture, but his unstable brother Ramon still poses a threat to Dexter; a potentially fatal surprise could imperil Dexter's impending nuptials to Rita; Debra learns she's in line to get her detective's shield, but troublesome news could tarnish her promotion.

Old 12-14-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This, The Shield, and True Blood have been the only shows that I could not wait for the next episode. Sad that the last Dexter episode for almost a year will be airing tonight, I can't wait!
Old 12-14-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Should be intense. Bring it on!
Old 12-14-08, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Tonight is bittersweet. I may have to pick up both seasons on dvd to get me through till next year. This season has been my favorite so far, loved everything about it. Loved the whole Miguel plot and loved Deb. Can't wait to see what is in store for tonight.
Old 12-14-08, 07:27 PM

Can't wait for this.
Old 12-14-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
In terms of a finale, that doesn't compare to the first two season's finales. Was good, but not extremely satisfying. Maybe it was the conclusion of the skinner case. Would've liked to have seen him get to play with him a bit before he killed him. However, I will say overall, this season was far stronger than last.
Old 12-15-08, 02:04 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm glad how things turned out. I loved the use of symbolism there at the end with the dress. Can't wait for next season (though I obviously will, ha.)
Old 12-15-08, 03:04 AM
Suspended

that was a pretty good ep.
Old 12-15-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I think this was a very anti-climactic finale. They kind of shot their wad with the end of the last episode, which was really Dexter's arc more than the skinner was.

It's just hard to follow up the end of the Prado storyline with one about a character that never really got developed all that much. Not to say this was a bad episode, they did wrap up most of the loose ends, while leaving a lot to work with for next year.
Old 12-15-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep, very underwhelmed by the finale, but the season on the whole was a good ride.
Old 12-15-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. The finale wasn't as strong as the season overall. and I think TheKing nailed why. Dexter never really cared about the Skinner, so why should we?
Old 12-15-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed the finale was what we got used to the last 3-4 weeks but was still good. It's gonna suck waiting for next season.
Old 12-15-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was the reason that Dexter did not want to be seen by the cops at the end because he had already snapped the guy's neck? Could he not have claimed self-defense or would people wonder at how good he was at killing?

I was just thinking that wouldn't forensics find evidence that there had been a person strapped to that table and possibly Dexters DNA? I was sort of expecting Dexter to play the innocent victim card at the end, so it was a little surprising how he snuck out of there. Dropping the body in front of the police car was an interesting stroke of genius.
Old 12-15-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Was the reason that Dexter did not want to be seen by the cops at the end because he had already snapped the guy's neck? Could he not have claimed self-defense or would people wonder at how good he was at killing?
I think it was more about the 'Why the fuck did he go after Dexter' questions that would come up more than anything else. I thought the finale was great - it wrapped up enough storylines to feel satisfying but left a LOT of stuff that they can carry into next year. Probably the best season yet overall IMO.
Old 12-15-08, 11:30 AM

I was confused by Dexter leaving as well, it didn't really make much sense to me. He pulled his hand pretty hard through those ropes, no doubt he left some DNA evidence there, and the skinner cut him pretty bad so there is probably blood on the knife and floor. I guess Dexter will likely run the analysis himself, but still.
Old 12-15-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk God

yeah, if Dexter got pulled into the investigation then they'd start to look at why he was targeted. could've brought to light his activities or even the activities of Miguel Prado.
Old 12-15-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by John Slider
I was confused by Dexter leaving as well, it didn't really make much sense to me. He pulled his hand pretty hard through those ropes, no doubt he left some DNA evidence there, and the skinner cut him pretty bad so there is probably blood on the knife and floor. I guess Dexter will likely run the analysis himself, but still.
he took the ropes with him as he escaped through the window. you can see them in his hand as he pushes open the window.
Old 12-15-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
I don't quite like is the acceptance by the investigators that King simply decided to kill himself instead of making an attempt to run. The guy's never given up so easily in situations before, why didn't he make an attempt to get away this time? It's not like he didn't have time to get away since the sirens would've given him a nice head start. Also, wouldn't the autopsy show that his neck was snapped in a way that contradicts how they think he died?

I'm a little disappointed with the ending - it felt anti-climactic. I was hoping (for a change) this season ended with a bit of a cliff-hanger for next season or at least set up a new problem for Dexter that viewers can anticipate.

I thought something would be revealed about Quinn that could be interesting since his backstory was pointless and uninteresting all season. We never see a conclusion to Deb digging up things about her father - so I suspect this storyline will continue next season. Maria was underused this season I felt as well.

It was a very good season, just wish it eneded a bit differently.

Can't wait till next season.
Old 12-15-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't think they are going to look into the skinner's death. With the way the accident occurred, the coroner may not be able to make an accurate call as to there being a different cause of death.

I agree about Quinn, and hopefully that will be brought up again next season. My guess is that it will be, along with Deb digging into her father's past.
Old 12-16-08, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kms_md
he took the ropes with him as he escaped through the window. you can see them in his hand as he pushes open the window.
Exactly what I was trying to write earlier today, but my iphone kept booting me off... Dexter has gone as long as he has by being quick thinking. If he had been caught there tied up, he probably would have tied in his being caught with his looking into the M Prado situation (yes he was doing it under his boss's authorization, but did leave that message on her answering machine)... of course killing a trained killer would have aroused at least a little suspicion

Great season, anticlimactic but good finale. Dumping the body in a way to erase its true demise was very clever. Looking forward how the Deb angle plays out next year
Old 12-16-08, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was kinda disappointed at how neatly everything was tied up. We knew that nothing was going to happen to Dexter, but it was all too convenient for my liking.
Old 12-16-08, 11:13 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
I was relieved the writers didn't stoop to having Miguel's brother being one of the cops saving Dexter at the warehouse. That would have been too much.

Thos.
Old 12-16-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I thought the finale was a total dud. It was pretty much all tidy resolutions- Deb gets her badge and her man! Wedding goes off without a hitch! Dexter has (by past seasons standards) an easy final confrontation with the Skinner! He talks sense to Miguel's bro! Miguel's funeral is off camera!... *yawn*

Oh, and they dropped in that Rita had a secret marriage. Meh, probably end up her first ex was a killer or she killed him or something like that.

I just hope they employ some fresh blood on the writing staff, put some fire in there, have a smoother build of tension and some wallops in there for season four.
Old 12-16-08, 12:52 PM

I was really disappointed that Miguel's funeral was off camera, even before they mentioned the confrontation with Ramone. I hope it was a scene left on the cutting room floor that will make its way on to the DVD release, but I doubt it.
Old 12-16-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Somehow I was hoping that the skinner's death would have been more grusome.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.