Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes -- "The Eclipse Part 2" -- 12/1/08

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only way to explain Adam and the eclipse, and no, i don't think the writers thought this way is:
- With the Eclipse our Heroes superpowers molecules/DNA/whatever is there but it's not active/running/activated
- Adam's superpowers molecules/DNA/whatever were "extracted"/removed by Pa Petrelli. So he doesn't have them anymore in his body.

Or something like that.
Old 12-04-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Palaver
I agree. Some consistency would be nice.

You could make the argument that Claire's healing (which is what Sylar and Peter use) might work differently than Adam's did. Since Pa Patreli uses Adam's, his should work the same as Adam's.
Since Claire, Peter, and maybe or maybe not* Sylar are all related that would make sense. Adam was not part of that family and Peter copied Claire's ability on top of being related.

*If HRG is to be believed...this week.
Old 12-04-08, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
That was a huge mistake they made with Adam. I think they went for the "cool looking effect" rather than any kind of logic. If the character had run his course, then he should have had his powers taken, and then had Pa Petrelli break his neck.

I think they have really ruined consistency with Claire's powers. She can't heal herself if something is lodged in her brain, yet it's her blood that supposedly heals as evidenced by HRG's revival. So why would something lodged in her brain prevent her from healing? Also how can she be immortal? You chop off her head and put it in a box is she supposed to grow a new head?

Will her head grow a new body? You have to wait to reattach them? What if they degenerate to bones in the mean time?

OK maybe I'm overthinking the last part, but I really feel that the Adam death was a HUGE mistake in logic. I am expecting a revision in a future episode where we find out Pa Petrelli has "people dissolving" powers and that's actually how he killed Adam, not through old age.

I hear you. But it seems, and I say this in all Fanboy speculation because as Raul3 pointed out the writers haven't thought this deeply on the issue , Claire's Brain is part of the Healing equation here.
Old 12-04-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
To those who thought the Eclipse was a waste... Didn't Pa Patrelli and oddly enough Peter both sum it up? Pa made a comment about how we got to see what was really inside of people without their powers. And Peter said something to The Haitian about seeing if he still had it in him to be a hero even without his powers.
1. What did we really find out? That Mohinder, when cornered without powers, will hit a guy on the head with a stapler? I'm serious, what did we find out about these people?

2. Peter didn't have powers right before the eclipse, he didn't have powers during the eclipse, and he doesn't have powers after the eclipse. I think he was talking about why he went to Haiti when he didn't have powers, not about the eclipse. I'm not even sure that the people in the Haitian arc even knew that the eclipse had anything to do with losing their powers (if I were Nathan, no way I'd fly back under my own power).

As far as the Haitian/flying powers thing, this is consistent with Nathan flying away from the Haitian and HRG in season 1... though this is NOT consistent with the Haitian automatically turning Hiro and Daphne's powers off earlier this season, even though he didn't know they were there (unless he can just create a no-power zone around him)

I can also buy Adam disintegrating without his powers while the rest stayed healed during the eclipse, the difference being that only Adam had used his power to stay alive for a long, long time...while wounds are permanently healed. Where's my no-prize?

This also doesn't explain future Peter's scar, which he might've gotten when he was powerless, but should've healed once his powers came back.

If Elle is permanently dead, they should have shown more in the show... at this point, I would think most of the viewers think she's coming back, because they didn't show her death explicitly, nor her body (though that may be next week). Sylar seemed to take a step backwards as well, so there's not only a lack of progression in the storylines, but it seems like the whole Sylar redemption arc was pretty much a waste of time.

I'd like to think that Kring and co. had this all meticulously planned out, and then had to change things last minute when the ratings/complaints/network interference came in. But who knows? These are still the episodes with Loeb and co., right?

edited to add: Also thought it was odd that they flat out said that the reason they were seeking out the Haitian was because only his powers could stop Pa Patrelli. However, they had a whole period where no powers were working... why not send some of the company's trained agents in now?

Last edited by fujishig; 12-04-08 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-04-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Whenever I wonder what the writers are thinking I just remind myself that these are the same people who had Peter give himself an aneurysm opening up the safe instead of walking through the door with his walk through wall powers, and had him run in slow motion to catch a vial rather than fly to it at high speed or even teleport. Then I know that they just don't think, and are more impressed with how things "look" than any kind of logic.
Old 12-04-08, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was hoping for the Haitian to pull a Comic Book Guy/Jeff Albertson...

"My name is Jaques, but you all call me 'The Haitian.' "
Old 12-04-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Palaver
You could make the same argument for Adam, but when he lost his healing power (which is the same healing power that Pa used to recover), all of his healing came undone. The same should have happened for Pa Patreli.
Pa Petrelli removed Hiro's memories but not his powers; perhaps he not only removed Adam's powers but his life force too. Besides, Adam must've survived dozens of eclipses. Speaking of which, why does it seem like Pa Petrelli and HRG are surprised that eclipses affect people's powers?
Old 12-04-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by mnementh
Pa Petrelli removed Hiro's memories but not his powers; perhaps he not only removed Adam's powers but his life force too. Besides, Adam must've survived dozens of eclipses. Speaking of which, why does it seem like Pa Petrelli and HRG are surprised that eclipses affect people's powers?
I thought he used Parkman's powers absorbed via Peter to wipe Hiro's memory. I would really like some clarification on Pa Petreli's original powers. This show needs a commentary track like no other.
Old 12-04-08, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Oh and apparently the Hatian can't stop Nathan from flying anymore. Wasn't he standing there when Nathan flew/tackled his brother?
Hmm...I just realized this may be intentional. Remember when HRG was trying to catch Nathan with the Haitian? He couldn't block Nathan's powers then, either. Or his own brother. Hmm. Maybe this means something. Like he can't block artificially created ones, or something.
Old 12-04-08, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix
Hmm...I just realized this may be intentional. Remember when HRG was trying to catch Nathan with the Haitian? He couldn't block Nathan's powers then, either. Or his own brother. Hmm. Maybe this means something. Like he can't block artificially created ones, or something.
You are giving the writers way, way too much credit.
Old 12-04-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Awesome thinking...

Originally Posted by SteelWill
You are giving the writers way, way too much credit.
...but SteelWill is probably right.
Old 12-04-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
People here are giving these explanations way more thought than the writers apparently do. I think what has happened is a bunch of random television writers got on a hit series with the most obsessed fanbase, namely comic book fans, and are failing under the expectations set in season one. It was easier to wing it in season one as no continuity or rules of the fictional universe had been established yet. Serial shows of this type need meticulous planning by the writers and a "bible" to keep the episodes consistent.
Old 12-05-08, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally caught this episode. I thought Nathan's heel turn was so bizarre and out of nowhere I couldn't stop laughing. So Sylar turns evil for the 500th time? Hopefully Crosseyes is dead but they didn't really show the whole thing happening.
Old 12-05-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
1. What did we really find out? That Mohinder, when cornered without powers, will hit a guy on the head with a stapler? I'm serious, what did we find out about these people?

2. Peter didn't have powers right before the eclipse, he didn't have powers during the eclipse, and he doesn't have powers after the eclipse. I think he was talking about why he went to Haiti when he didn't have powers, not about the eclipse. I'm not even sure that the people in the Haitian arc even knew that the eclipse had anything to do with losing their powers (if I were Nathan, no way I'd fly back under my own power).

That without powers Mohinder was less of a pussy than one would expect and that Fire Guy was perhaps more of pussy than one would expect. I mentioned Peter because even without his powers pre, during, and post eclipse he was still willing to go into battle against horrible odds.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-05-08 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-05-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Fire Guy isn't a pussy. He is just stupid to fall for Mohinder's ploy. We already knew he was stupid.

Apparently now Mohinder is an angry person. We were led to believe at first it was a side effect of the power, but now I guess he has been all along? Meek timid Mohinder, steroid freak.
Old 12-05-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Fire Guy isn't a pussy. He is just stupid to fall for Mohinder's ploy. We already knew he was stupid.
Alright fine. I couldn't remember the actual line Mohinder tossed before going Office Space on Fire Guy.

Apparently now Mohinder is an angry person. We were led to believe at first it was a side effect of the power, but now I guess he has been all along? Meek timid Mohinder, steroid freak.
Mohinder is trying to get back with a hot POA who left him. What guy wouldn't be a bit uptight....
Old 12-05-08, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
They killed KB. Fucking insane.

So the ratings take a huge dip and the one person who most viewers like they kill off? Gee I can see why those two idiots got fired. Lets keep around Suresh though. Viewers love him. While were add it lets bring back Maya!
Most people like Elle? That's news to me. She has a tiny internet following because of another show the actress was previously on. Her character was annoying, whiny, and boring. She won't be missed.

Originally Posted by groovrbaby
Better question.. why did Sylar remove Elle's skullcap if he already has her power?
Because he's a killer.

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I'm just glad that they explained that these new issues of "9th Wonder" were done by Isaac and were published posthumously. That little thing has been bugging me, what with Isaac dying back in the first season.
Agreed. I've actually enjoyed this season, but that was the one thing that was driving me nuts about it.
Old 12-05-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
This thread is hilarious.

Seriously. Watch another show people. This is a huge waste of time.

I don't even think about half this stuff. I know exactly what I'm going to get from Heroes (and I just rewatched Season 1...which I think people are remembering a LITTLE too fondly) and this episode fit right in.

Claire getting hurt, Mohinder being stupid, Nathan doing something that makes no sense, Peter whining, Sylar playing 8 different characters in the course of an episode (good, bad, sort of good, kind of bad, etc.), Parkman getting a stupid subplot, Hiro acting like a child, and so on.

Every week, we get some variation of these things. And every week I still tune in, because I like the world and I like the characters. A lot of you obviously don't, so I'd recommend flipping the channel because it will NEVER meet your expectations.
Seriously. It's amazing how every week people whine and bitch, yet they keep watching.
Old 12-05-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
It seemed like the Robot Chicken guys were intimately familiar with all the minutiae of the "9th Wonder" comic -- except, conveniently, for the issue in which they themselves appear.
That issue JUST came out that day.

Seriously, do any of you even pay attention to the show?
Old 12-05-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Oh and apparently the Hatian can't stop Nathan from flying anymore. Wasn't he standing there when Nathan flew/tackled his brother? Also, he didn't cripple Daphne when they previously met this season? Giving her character CP was clearly an afterthought.
Nope, i'm convinced, nobody pays attention.

Multiple references were made - in this episode alone! - to the fact that the Haitian has CONTROL of his ability - he can "turn it off" if need be.

Come on... no one except Maya is as pointless as Tracy/Jessica/etc.
This I agree with 100%.
Old 12-05-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
As far as the Haitian/flying powers thing, this is consistent with Nathan flying away from the Haitian and HRG in season 1... though this is NOT consistent with the Haitian automatically turning Hiro and Daphne's powers off earlier this season, even though he didn't know they were there (unless he can just create a no-power zone around him)
That's what I'm thinking...remember that he was on a mission when that happened. He probably walks around with a no-power zone in times like that.
Old 12-05-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
I took it to mean that he can block his brother's "invulnerability" powers... Peter basically told him to do so so he could shoot him, right?

I agree with PhantomStranger that they should have a series Bible to keep all these things consistent... because this appeals to comic book fans and sci fi geeks, it'll get a lot more scrutiny plot-wise, but sometimes it's like they're not even trying. Maybe there's some really subtle theme about how superhero comic books are really inane (characters never staying dead, characters changing motivations and even personalities over time, powers being inconsistent, pointless storyarcs taking up multiple issues/episodes while the main plot goes nowhere, etc.), but I doubt it.
Old 12-05-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by abrg923
Nope, i'm convinced, nobody pays attention.

Multiple references were made - in this episode alone! - to the fact that the Haitian has CONTROL of his ability - he can "turn it off" if need be.
What exactly was said that is so clear to you yet no one else?
Old 12-05-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not going to go back and watch the episode to give exact quotes, but on more than one occasion during the Haiti arc Nathan and/or Peter told The Haitian to "turn off" or "switch off" his powers. That, for one.
Old 12-05-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's it? That doesn't mean he can. They would assume that because they can switch off theirs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.