Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-22-08, 06:05 PM   #1
LorenzoL
DVD Talk Legend
 
LorenzoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 16,457
Ugly Betty *Season Finale* -- "Jump" -- 05/22/08

"Jump"
Spoiler:
Betty finds herself in a dilemma between Henry and Gio when each makes a romantic offer to her. Meanwhile, a softball game between ELLE and Mode has rivals Wilhelmina and Naomi Campbell facing off in the field. Finally, Hilda makes quite a discovery about Coach Diaz, and a surprise visit from an orphaned French boy stirs things up at Mode.

First Aired: Thursday May 22, 2008
__________________
Collection
PSN: Lopo555
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 06:18 PM   #2
big whoppa
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Under Golden Gate Bridge
Posts: 10,912
Firecrotch is in this one.
__________________
"I Choked Linda Lovelace" - on Joe Dirt's T-Shirt
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 08:47 PM   #3
Snowmaker
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
So, since Betty
Spoiler:
did not have on the ring at the end, are we to assume she went to Rome?


And we need screen caps of cheerleader Amanda.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-08, 10:14 PM   #4
GreenEggs248
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Big-D
Posts: 273
DId anyone not have the voices for the first 5 minutes of the show? We heard the background sound, but no voices. weird
__________________
Have you seen my brown eyed flip girl?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 02:04 AM   #5
johnnysd
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmaker
So, since Betty
Spoiler:
did not have on the ring at the end, are we to assume she went to Rome?


And we need screen caps of cheerleader Amanda.
Spoiler:
I am pretty Betty is in Rome, BUT with Henry to see if she really wants to marry him. Opening scene will be Betty blabbing on the bed in Rome making you think it is Gio, and then Henry will walk out of the bathroom. But she should be with Gio.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 06:55 AM   #6
Snowmaker
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysd
Spoiler:
I am pretty Betty is in Rome, BUT with Henry to see if she really wants to marry him. Opening scene will be Betty blabbing on the bed in Rome making you think it is Gio, and then Henry will walk out of the bathroom. But she should be with Gio.
Do we really need to spoiler tag speculation?

If what you say were true though, Gio would unlikely ever want to talk to her again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 07:41 AM   #7
Red Dog
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 111,745
Pretty blah finale. I just don't care who Betty chooses at this point. The office stuff and Willy vs. the Meades are the best parts of the show. I thought the softball game was going to take up more of the episode - that could have made it better.
__________________
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 07:53 AM   #8
Snowmaker
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Pretty blah finale. I just don't care who Betty chooses at this point. The office stuff and Willy vs. the Meades are the best parts of the show. I thought the softball game was going to take up more of the episode - that could have made it better.
I thought the reaction to Naomi Campbell answering her cell phone was the funniest part of the whole show.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 07:58 AM   #9
rfduncan
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,818
I found it odd that the soundtrack for this episode was entirely extracted from Madonna's new album "Hard Candy".

As for the Gio/Henry thing, I really have zero interest in the whole scenario at this point. They've drawn it out a little too long. How exactly did they skate around the fact that Betty knew that Charlie was cheating on Henry when she got pregnant? A paternity test would certainly have been in order THERE instead of with the two Daniels.
__________________
Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!
- Ralph Wiggum

A Grilled Charlie has peanut butter last! Peanut butter outside, chocolate inside! Butter inside, cheese outside!
- Charlie Kelly
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 08:58 AM   #10
riley_dude
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Leandro/San Francisco
Posts: 7,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Pretty blah finale. I just don't care who Betty chooses at this point. The office stuff and Willy vs. the Meades are the best parts of the show. I thought the softball game was going to take up more of the episode - that could have made it better.
I actually liked it.... a lot. Some great scenes for everyone and I liked the plot point of who Betty will be choosing. For a long time I thought it should be Henry but now, I think it should be Gio.
Loved the montage at the end. Very effective.

Quote:
I found it odd that the soundtrack for this episode was entirely extracted from Madonna's new album "Hard Candy".
The song Jump was the only song not from Hard Candy.
__________________
My Life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 09:10 AM   #11
johnnysd
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfduncan
I found it odd that the soundtrack for this episode was entirely extracted from Madonna's new album "Hard Candy".

As for the Gio/Henry thing, I really have zero interest in the whole scenario at this point. They've drawn it out a little too long. How exactly did they skate around the fact that Betty knew that Charlie was cheating on Henry when she got pregnant? A paternity test would certainly have been in order THERE instead of with the two Daniels.
They did do a paternity test in the show for Henry.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 10:01 AM   #12
rfduncan
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysd
They did do a paternity test in the show for Henry.
See? Thanks to the strike, I have trouble keeping everything that's happened this season straight! I'm going to have to watch this whole season again if ABC decides to re-air it this summer.
__________________
Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!
- Ralph Wiggum

A Grilled Charlie has peanut butter last! Peanut butter outside, chocolate inside! Butter inside, cheese outside!
- Charlie Kelly
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 10:12 AM   #13
Jadzia
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,124
I don't think she went with Henry. If she did, her father would have looked more pissed/upset as he hugged her goodbye.

Plus it seemed like a no-brainer to me. Either go to Rome for two weeks or get married for life?

Maybe she decided to go to Rome alone so she can find herself and figure out who/what she wants.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 11:28 AM   #14
mdc3000
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
mdc3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Posts: 9,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia
Maybe she decided to go to Rome alone so she can find herself and figure out who/what she wants.
I definitely think she chose to go somewhere alone to find herself...that OLD TIRED CLICHE. Weak finale IMO. Not enough Marc or Amanda and I know that I'm sick of Henry and hate the character, so I wish they'd just end that storyline for good... and I was not surprised with the 90% Hard Candy soundtrack - Ugly Betty has been one of the biggest 'promotional whores' on TV this season - SHAMELESS.

A rather disappointing season IMO compared to the first. Last year I looked forward to the show, this season I suffered through it.
__________________
Armchair Directors - Video Movie Reviews

Letterboxd
Rank 'Em As You See Them 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 Spending Tab 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 12:25 PM   #15
Nick Martin
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,586
I can't stand Henry either, because I have no respect for him at all. I just want him gone.

Now I understand why Rebecca Romijn said she won't be a regular anymore because she didn't agree with how the writers changed her character into someone that cold.

She'll appear from time to time instead in a recurring role because of that. I support that, because the change in her character Alexis is just wrong.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 12:25 PM   #16
rfduncan
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 9,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by riley_dude
The song Jump was the only song not from Hard Candy.
Oops. You're right. That's off off "Confessions on a Dance Floor"...
__________________
Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!
- Ralph Wiggum

A Grilled Charlie has peanut butter last! Peanut butter outside, chocolate inside! Butter inside, cheese outside!
- Charlie Kelly
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 12:35 PM   #17
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,957
"Hilda dressed you as baby Madonna."
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 04:31 PM   #18
riley_dude
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Leandro/San Francisco
Posts: 7,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I can't stand Henry either, because I have no respect for him at all. I just want him gone.

Now I understand why Rebecca Romijn said she won't be a regular anymore because she didn't agree with how the writers changed her character into someone that cold.

She'll appear from time to time instead in a recurring role because of that. I support that, because the change in her character Alexis is just wrong.
Oh really? That's intersting.
Doesn't she have a contract though?
The look her Mother gave her towards the end was classic. I love Judith Light.
__________________
My Life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 08:20 PM   #19
Jadzia
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,124
I must have missed something, but what did Romijn's character do? I did not understand her mother's "look" so I probably missed a scene at some point.

I read in TV Guide one week that Romijn's character was being "demoted" in an effort to de-clutter the cast next season. Then the following week they wrote that one of the cast member's was unhappy about the change to New York next year and did not want to move because "he/she" just bought a house in LA. I assumed this was probably Romijn they were referring to.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 08:33 PM   #20
movieking
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Posts: 13,433
Read the same thing Jadzia, but I don't think that the person who bought the house is Romijn, since her departure (or role reduction) was announced a few weeks prior to that. Very curious to see who it is.

I couldn't believe how small Lohan's role was. I thought for sure we would see her at the softball game. Oh well, no loss.

Pretty weak finale, but I do hope that Daniel's son sticks around for a while next season. Don't care about Betty's decision, but I would be shocked if she doesn't end up alone somewhere. And Hilda is the other woman. Tsk, tsk...
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-08, 09:27 PM   #21
Nick Martin
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,586
Don't worry, Lohan will be back for about 5 or 6 more episodes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I must have missed something, but what did Romijn's character do? I did not understand her mother's "look" so I probably missed a scene at some point.
She essentially betrayed Daniel, used his compassion for her against him, listened to Wilhelmina's "suggestions" to first demote Daniel and then in the end, fire him.

That's what Alexis did, and in her mind it was all for the company, all for the magazine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 03:24 PM   #22
big whoppa
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Under Golden Gate Bridge
Posts: 10,912
I believe it was mentioned in TVGuide that mentioned Romijn was leaving because the show's producers wanted to focus the story on Betty rather than continue on the path of too many storylines. Since her character was turning on her brother and her mother, I think they might try to get her off Meade. Or slick Willie has other plans of her own to do it for them.

I think Betty will also go somewhere to get perspective. I wasn't expecting Henry to show up again to propose.

I don't think they should saddle Daniel with a kid too long. It probably won't last.

Too much pimping for Madonna. It was just too much.

Hilda's storyline is getting better but being the other woman is just bad road to travel on.

Overall, finale was OK but not as emotional or exciting as last season when Hilda's fiance was shot.
__________________
"I Choked Linda Lovelace" - on Joe Dirt's T-Shirt
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 07:03 PM   #23
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: IND Crosstown
Posts: 24,441
So Betty's family lives in the Jackson Heights section of Brooklyn? I'm glad the show is moving to New York, if only so that these details are finally right.
__________________
I do Tracer's bidding! -Slop101
Third World countries are worthy of our derision. -Sean O'Hara
Personally, I would say that Tracer Bullet is leading you in the wrong direction. -Supermallet
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-08, 07:48 AM   #24
LiquidSky
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
LiquidSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pokey Dot Lounge, Nashville, TN
Posts: 8,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I read in TV Guide one week that Romijn's character was being "demoted" in an effort to de-clutter the cast next season.
They need to give Henry the boot. That's enough de-cluttering for me. Also, whatever happened to Marc's boyfriend?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-08, 08:22 AM   #25
Jadzia
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,124
I liked Henry so much in the beginning, but they really ruined his character.

Now I am on board the Gio train.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.

Rules - DVD Talk - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0
Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.