American Gladiators is coming back

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RickerOne
My New American Gladiators drinking game:

1. everytime Hulk says "brotha" take a drink
2. everytime the ref counts down 3, 2, 1 - anyone who does not say "Dodgeball" after 1 must drink
3. everytime a contestant dedicates their performance to a family member, take a drink
4. anytime the play by play announcer makes a bad pun, finish your glass
5. everytime the gladiator "Wolf" howls, howl and do a shot
6. everytime someone loses a piece of protective equipment (helmet, neck brace, etc.) take a drink
Every time someone vows to give more than 100%, do a shot.
Old 01-29-08, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JTH182
I figured out who Wolf reminds me of:

Wolf reminds me of a hairy Richard Branson.
Old 02-04-08, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
8:22 EST

That's when the male contenders started their first event tonight. 22 minutes! Talk, talk, talk! I hit the 30-second skip button 5 or 6 times thinking I'll miss something and have to backtrack. It never happens. They're always still talking! STFU and gladiate already! This show would be insufferable without TiVo (which does not directly mean that it isn't insufferable with it).

das
Old 02-04-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Originally Posted by das Monkey
8:22 EST

That's when the male contenders started their first event tonight. 22 minutes! Talk, talk, talk! I hit the 30-second skip button 5 or 6 times thinking I'll miss something and have to backtrack. It never happens. They're always still talking! STFU and gladiate already! This show would be insufferable without TiVo (which does not directly mean that it isn't insufferable with it).

das

Real talk.

I love this show, but I am getting god damn sick and tired of all the fucking talking, shut up!!

Last edited by Mercury&Solace; 02-18-08 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-04-08, 11:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mercury&Solace
Real talk.

I love this show, but I am getting god damn sick and tired of all the fucking talking, shit up!!
For real. I mean, it can't cost that much extra to add an extra event every show. This show definately has a "professional wrestling" vibe that I dislike.

Here is what this show needs (in order of priority):

1. An extra event each show
2. Replaced Leila Ali and Hulk Hogan
3. Atlasphere
4. Eliminate Hit and Run
5. Original assault distances (no starting behind a wall)
6. Original rings (approximately twice as long)
7. Smaller powerball scoring rings (screw throwing it in)
8. Sky Track
9. Break through Gladiators at the end of the Eliminator
10. Turn Earthquake back into Breakthrough and Conquer
Old 02-05-08, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by matta
Here is what this show needs (in order of priority):
At the very top of the list should be getting rid of the ridiculous canned commentary. It's awful.

1. An extra event each show - Yes, too much gabbing when they could easily fit in another event.

2. Replaced Leila Ali and Hulk Hogan - Can't say I disagree with it. Neither one of them add anything, just more scripted nonsense.

3. Atlasphere - I say no on this one. I always thought it was a silly event, running around in hamster balls.

4. Eliminate Hit and Run - Agree.

5. Original assault distances (no starting behind a wall) - I know it's a crowd pleaser, but I don't like this event. Firing blindly at a target isn't very athletic.

6. Original rings (approximately twice as long) - Agree.

7. Smaller powerball scoring rings (screw throwing it in) - It did seem more difficult the old way. Although I can understand widening the openings to allow for more scoring.

8. Sky Track - Not sure about this, it was a weird event.

9. Break through Gladiators at the end of the Eliminator - Maybe with the original, but after this new grueling Eliminator, they barely have anything left.

10. Turn Earthquake back into Breakthrough and Conquer - Yes, I always liked the combo.
Old 02-18-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Well, Season one is in the books. Looking at our crop of semi-finalists, it looked like those who were quicker had a huge advantage over those who were stronger... and as the final three weeks played out, that theory was confirmed. Speed wins, at least under this format.

I would like to see an update for the next time out... something that tries to offset the huge advantage that little speedy "spider monkey" types have over bigger, stronger competitors. I would also like to see more events where the competitors compete directly against the Gladiators (as in Powerball or Pyramid) instead of those where it's a game of dodgeball (Assault) or keep-away (like Wall or Hit/Run).

PS - What would your Gladiator name be?
Old 02-18-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Well, Season one is in the books. Looking at our crop of semi-finalists, it looked like those who were quicker had a huge advantage over those who were stronger... and as the final three weeks played out, that theory was confirmed. Speed wins, at least under this format.

I would like to see an update for the next time out... something that tries to offset the huge advantage that little speedy "spider monkey" types have over bigger, stronger competitors. I would also like to see more events where the competitors compete directly against the Gladiators (as in Powerball or Pyramid) instead of those where it's a game of dodgeball (Assault) or keep-away (like Wall or Hit/Run).

PS - What would your Gladiator name be?
I like what you are saying. It seems like if you are super quick/fast, these events can be easily dominated. Agreed when you said that there should be something to offset the speed factor with some pure strength type stuff. I would personally like to see some type of strongman events or something like that incorporated in the next American Gladiators. You gotta cut out the talk, and change the show up a little bit to hold viewers, because I won't watch this again unless I can DVR it first and fast foreword through the wretched talking.
Old 02-18-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
- The original had Tug of War and Hamsterballs (oops, Atlasphere)... those would be a good start.
- Eliminator needs to be less about speed, really. A big lead after 4-5 events can be easily overcome if your opponent is a tiny little quick dude.
- We only watch it via Tivo. If NBC wants people to pay attention what's happening between events, they need to can the banter.
Old 02-18-08, 03:46 PM
Banned

And I would say that they need a penalty for the handbikes on the eliminator - women don't even try anymore (they just grab the bike and drop). The problem is that the eliminator is so damn long, and the bike is in the later half, so it's hard to keep up the endurance.

I don't know why they reversed the eliminator
Before: treadmill -> bike -> balance beam -> cargo net -> zip line -> wall -> end
Now: Wall -> swim -> cargo net -> cylinder -> bike -> balance beam -> Pyramid -> zip line -> treadmill -> end
Old 02-18-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
this season was a little of a let down, I love that the show is back but it just doesn't work as it is right now. I believe they only had 7 different events which means that it's the exact same stuff every week.

How long till they have a celebrity edition or NFL edition? I say sweeps next year.
Old 02-18-08, 04:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sauce07
this season was a little of a let down, I love that the show is back but it just doesn't work as it is right now. I believe they only had 7 different events which means that it's the exact same stuff every week.
It's possible that they were holding back because it was a limited airing to see if the show would fly. Now that they've renewed it, hopefully they can spend money on adding some new events.
Old 02-18-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by matta
It's possible that they were holding back because it was a limited airing to see if the show would fly. Now that they've renewed it, hopefully they can spend money on adding some new events.
Good call.
I heard this was picked up for another season. I think the popularity is catching on too. I hear people talk about it at work, regular people that don't talk about much TV. And I see a few of the Gladiators on the cover of workout magazines and MMA magazines, I think AG is here to stay. Just a few tweaks to make it more enjoyable.
Old 02-19-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So the men's comp on Sunday didn't start until 35 minutes into the broadcast. Are they nuts? The finale was pretty much crap. I hope they change things up a lot for S2 because I'm pretty tired of the formula they've been employing thus far. I can't believe that guy is going to be a gladiator now.
Old 02-19-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I can't believe that guy is going to be a gladiator now.
He might not be jacked, but that was one of the quickest and most athletic guys I saw on that show, Gladiators included. I want to see him pull somebody off the wall in less than 5 seconds.
Old 02-19-08, 02:19 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, we know the winning guy won't be asked to do the Joust. I actually enjoyed the women's competition a bit more in the finale, but I've really enjoyed watching Monica all the times she was on. She was the first contender of either gender to finish the Eliminator in under two minutes, as well as the only one to nail the Assault bullseye with the first weapon and get to the top of the pyramid. She was a spunky, fun competitor to watch.
Old 02-19-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She was also the least annoying of all the women on the show. At least until the producers got to her. Her first few appearances were reserved and humble, but by the end, she was yelling and screaming like the rest of them. Someone must have had "a talk" with her.

das
Old 02-19-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thank god this contrived bullshit is over. I was forced to watch because it was AG but for fucks sake, none of this was real competition.
Old 02-19-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The finale was annoying; I forwarded all the talking shit.

And whats up with all the dude Gladiators talking? Has a women even talked at all? Ive heard Helga a bit and Im sure shes a dude, but I want some Crush! Im just enchanted whenever they show her
Old 02-19-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Ravenous
..but I want some Crush! I'm just enchanted whenever they show her
Yeah, I'd have bailed on this show if not for Crush and the Eliminator.

Doubt I'll make it through next season if they don't minimize the annoying small talk and figure out a way to make the rest of the events meaningful.