Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 Part II (merged)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Final Sopranos - "Made in America" - 06/10/07 Part II (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-08, 10:30 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkestPhoenix

Jin is alive, dammit.
i'm pretty sure he's the final cylon!!
Old 06-11-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Maybe they just put them on the menu after last summer.
Actually, I believe this is true...they weren't on the menu, but they added them shortly after (or perhaps shortly before) the finale aired.
Old 06-11-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Actually, I believe this is true...they weren't on the menu, but they added them shortly after (or perhaps shortly before) the finale aired.
That would make sense, considering their website specifically mentions the final Sopranos episode now.
Old 06-12-08, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 324 Posts
Wow, I remember watching the Sopranos finale, can't believe it was only a year ago. I was wallowing in a funk of un-employed loserdom and today I'm making the big bucks. Take that one year ago!

I disliked the Andy Kaufman-esque way the episode played out (everyone I talked to said the same thing about thinking their cable went on the fritz), but my initial reaction at the time was that Tony had died.
Old 12-19-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Hated the finale. Didn't give me enough closer not that it needed closer but with that cliffhanger of ending it needed more. This is the kind of thing I hate fox for. They get you hooked on a good show and drop it at a point where you feel there needs to be more said.
Old 12-20-08, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,407 Likes on 4,384 Posts
Did you seriously not hear anything about how The Sopranos ended until now?
Old 12-20-08, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Did you seriously not hear anything about how The Sopranos ended until now?

Decker, Decker, Decker, Decker. Use your imagination and take a trip with me to the land of the future. Here in the future we have netflix, a service that mails out movies on disc that can play on dvd players. Think of them as flat shiny disc that can hold moving pictures for long periods of time. The beauty of this shiny disc is you can play back the movies years later and then comment on them. The only downside is sometimes it is confusing to guys using less advance technologies. You know like people that write checks for groceries probably confuses you. They crazies still do that in future also.
Old 12-20-08, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
OK Baron, if you're going to be snippy, what exactly is "closer"? I've never heard of getting "closer" from an ending.
Old 12-20-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched the entire series in under four months about half a year ago and I hadn't heard about how the finale ended. I was pretty proud of myself for lasting that long without hearing spoilers.
Old 12-20-08, 04:46 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
Decker, Decker, Decker, Decker. Use your imagination and take a trip with me to the land of the future. Here in the future we have netflix, a service that mails out movies on disc that can play on dvd players. Think of them as flat shiny disc that can hold moving pictures for long periods of time. The beauty of this shiny disc is you can play back the movies years later and then comment on them. The only downside is sometimes it is confusing to guys using less advance technologies. You know like people that write checks for groceries probably confuses you. They crazies still do that in future also.
I don't want to speak for Decker, but I imagine he was just surprised that you were able to avoid hearing about how the show ended. There was a LOT of talk about it, on network and cable television, and of course everywhere online, after the finale aired.
Old 12-20-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by John Slider
I watched the entire series in under four months about half a year ago and I hadn't heard about how the finale ended. I was pretty proud of myself for lasting that long without hearing spoilers.
that's because there weren't any
Old 12-20-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is where at the end you should go, "Wait, what did you ask me?"

From your response I'm not surprised you didn't like it. You probably didn't understand it.
Old 12-21-08, 01:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rabbit77
that's because there weren't any
Not exactly, as I live in Jersey, my dad met someone who worked on the show, and told him what happened. I was a bigger fan of the show, so I didn't find out until after what happened. Tony lives, and there will be a movie so HBO can cash in like SATC.
Old 12-21-08, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Uh huh. Sure.
Old 12-21-08, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by collven
OK Baron, if you're going to be snippy, what exactly is "closer"? I've never heard of getting "closer" from an ending.
Here are examples of shows that ended well for me.
Mesh
Buffy
Cowboy Bebop
OZ (though I hated the ended to that)
ALF
Babylon 5
Deep Space 9
Quantum Leap
V

Here are examples that didn't end well
Drive
Firefly
Blade
Angel (though I liked it)

Soparons left me at fork in the road. Either Tony has a good meal with the family or he is about to get hit. And just because Tony is about to get hit doesn't mean he won't survive. Closer would be putting fucking bullet in his head or not making it look like he might be getting hit. With the surparons there isn't anything to think deeply on except the coma episode. Everything is pretty much spelled out in crime noir. But for the finale they drop that and give a ambiguous ending. It isn't even ambiguous it just ends. There isn't anything to interpret. I'm left wondering if they are going to pick one road or the other.

In contrast take Cowboy Bebop. It ends with Spike lying face down after his fight with his brother. Most people take that as Spike is dead. I take it as Spike is just resting. Either way it doesn't matter the main question was answer where Spike goes on from there is left to viewer. In the Sopranos main question is never answered. Worst I'm brought to a point where the question is screamed at me and then it all goes black.
Old 12-21-08, 09:48 AM

haha!
Old 12-21-08, 11:56 AM

www.dictionary.com
Old 12-21-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well at least someone other than me thought QL ended well.
Old 12-21-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
In contrast take Cowboy Bebop. It ends with Spike lying face down after his fight with his brother. Most people take that as Spike is dead. I take it as Spike is just resting. Either way it doesn't matter the main question was answer where Spike goes on from there is left to viewer. In the Sopranos main question is never answered. Worst I'm brought to a point where the question is screamed at me and then it all goes black.
You're probably one of the few people that believe Vicious is Spike's brother as well.
Old 12-27-08, 11:12 PM

Want to see how a series finale should be, then watch the Six Feet Under finale. All future show makers should watch and learn from that one.
Old 12-27-08, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Want to see how a series finale should be, then watch the Six Feet Under finale. All future show makers should watch and learn from that one.
that was the best series finale i seen so far!
Old 12-28-08, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How you view both the Bebop and Sopranos endings sort of explains why you didn't seem to get either one. I'm not suggesting that as an insult, we all take away different things from different situations (in this case shows). With Bebop you have to read into the show more and not take what you "see" at face value. Instead you have to listen to what the characters are saying and follow the theme of the show. That show is about living in the past and the present at the same time (space/old west, one eye dead and frozen with the other real and alive) and each character being haunted by their past so they never really move on. Those are just the two main ones I can think of, and I can easily list a few dozen examples that illustrate each point. If you look at it as a whole, Spike died because that was all he had left (or just listen to the words in the final song). If you look at things again after the movie, then it actually suggests strongly that everything is really a dream and Spike has invented most of the shows episodes as a way to work out his demons internally before going onto fighting Vicious.

As for the Sopranos... You only need to go back and rewatch the last few episodes to realize he died there. His brother-in-law and him have that little talk on the boat where they set up how getting "whacked" would feel like, never see or feel it, everything just going "black". That sound like the ending now? The director said afterward that it was not an ambiguous ending, that all the clues were there to know exactly what had happened in that diner.

Some TV invites you to turn your brain off when you watch, other shows don't. I suggest you do some research and follow the creators and writers that appeal more to your specific style of viewing. You'll feel more fulfilled afterward and not feel as cheated after a show ends.

I hope that was not too lame as a first post...
Old 12-28-08, 07:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Navinabob
As for the Sopranos... You only need to go back and rewatch the last few episodes to realize he died there. His brother-in-law and him have that little talk on the boat where they set up how getting "whacked" would feel like, never see or feel it, everything just going "black". That sound like the ending now? The director said afterward that it was not an ambiguous ending, that all the clues were there to know exactly what had happened in that diner.
Well that's gonna come as a shock when the movie comes out...
Old 12-28-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,407 Likes on 4,384 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
I don't want to speak for Decker, but I imagine he was just surprised that you were able to avoid hearing about how the show ended. There was a LOT of talk about it, on network and cable television, and of course everywhere online, after the finale aired.
Actually, I guess you can speak for me, aktick. I'm not surprised that some people hadn't seen the ending, but by this point I had thought it was common knowledge. I've seen it spoofed several times on different programs, including the Emmys.

Oh, and Baron Of Hell, you had better avoid watching the SNL video "Jizz In My Pants". It's funny, but it totally spoils the ending of The Sixth Sense and I wouldn't want to ruin your experience with that shiny disc thing you refer to.
Old 12-28-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Chase hasn't said there would be a movie, nor is one in production I believe. Anything is possible though and it would not be the first time a studio has pushed artistic integrity aside for money.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.